2023 Official Astros World Champs Offseason Thread

tx 3 putt

Altuve needs three hits to pass Jose Cruz for #3 on the Astros career leaderboard. He's 379 hits behind Bagwell for #2 overall. 

I say he passes Cheo in gm 2 on March 31st vs ChiSox and catches Bagwell before the All Star break in 2025 after he's signed an extension to finish his career in Houston. 

• Hook 'Em 2

6 minutes ago, TonyTexas said:

I’m not a doctor and we don’t know all the details but I’m getting a bad feeling that the Astros have mishandled this injury. 

Well, I'm glad it was handled in such a way that he played in the playoffs last year.  The Surly docs were ready to shut him down for hamate surgery at various points during his late season struggles.

It's possible something should have been done right after the WS though.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, kevwun said:

There is no good time for that surgery because the recovery is so long.  It will effect him for over a year.

Recovery from hamate surgery is around 6-7 weeks. 

Conclusion: After surgical excision for hook of hamate fractures in professional baseball players, 84% were able to RTS, with 81% returning to the same or higher level. The median time for players to RTS after surgery was 48 days. Player usage increased after surgery, while hitting efficiency slightly declined.

Edited by TonyTexas

17 minutes ago, kevwun said:

Yeah, but it saps power for a very long time.  That's what the issue is.  He would be physically healed in 2 months, but he probably wouldn't be back to normal for a year or more.

This study seems to indicate a slight loss of power for up to 1 year is possible but shows a net gain over the course of several years 

https://www.beyondtheboxscore.com/platform/amp/2014/5/2/5672834/hamate-fractures-and-power-in-the-pitchfx-era

Edited by TonyTexas

Yeah they handled it fine bc we won a World Series. 
it didn’t matter if he had it in August or November or now- it was going to fuck up all of 2023 if he had to have it- so- I get trying to string it along. November would have been better I guess because he wouldn’t miss the 6 weeks (hint- do it now) but it’s going to make him slappy for 2023 and then be fine for the rest of his career. 

I think the other hand was because the pain was fucking with his swing and compensating caused soreness in that one.  Like when people with a bad knee start having pain in their other one because of the way they are forced to walk.

Edited by kevwun
  • Hook 'Em 1

boot one of these loser fucks off the 40 man and sign Profar now

need some insurance to play LF if both Yordan and Brantley are going to be in dicking around in the trainers room 

Not to mention they should have signed him even without this news 

Edited by Scraps
  • Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, kevwun said:

Yeah, but it saps power for a very long time.  That's what the issue is.  He would be physically healed in 2 months, but he probably wouldn't be back to normal for a year or more.

So YA had sapped power in the playoffs last year.  Without these issues would those bombs have gone 500 feet?

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, runthebone said:

Would still have used Urquidy in WS Game 3, so I don't know what the fuck he is talking bout.

If Maton hadn't punched his locker like an idiot, we would have lost Game 3 in Seattle because Dusty absolutely would have used him before Garcia and he absolutely would have given up a run. So, in his own way, he made a major contribution to our playoff run. 

1 minute ago, huge said:

So YA had sapped power in the playoffs last year.  Without these issues would those bombs have gone 500 feet?

You will never convince me his Game 6 shot was only 450 feet. If that's what the math says, the math is fucking lying. 

Edited by Seasick Sailor
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, huge said:

Ok.  But he did not have the surgery, right?

Yes that's why I was saying your post didn't make sense. 

41 minutes ago, realgreggym said:

Question. Was our new GM involved in the Tucker arbitration? If not, can the new GM negotiate a new contract with him now. You want him happy this year and you don't want to lose him. Does that make sense?

I assume he was at the arbitration meeting but the Astros argument had to have been prepared before he got here. 

14 hours ago, WBT said:

Well, I'm glad it was handled in such a way that he played in the playoffs last year.  The Surly docs were ready to shut him down for hamate surgery at various points during his late season struggles.

It's possible something should have been done right after the WS though.

They still need to do that, and do it quick. If there was one year we could afford a 75% Yordan, this is the year. They took last year's lineup and added Jose Abreu to it in place of Yuli. Batting won't be an issue if he has to hit 6/7th.

• Hook 'Em 1

I’m sorry to do this, but I need some surly therapist help after triggering/opening up this old wound that took many years to recover from.

I still really thought we were going to win that game after Spiers led off the 9th with a double off Hoffman.

hate that it took another 19 years, but thank god for 2017.

16 minutes ago, rvm96 said:

I would honestly be on Chandler's side if we wasn't such a bitch about it. 

god he is such an insufferable twat 99% of the time. 

He basically used Parker Mushinski as a jumping off point to bitch (again) about the Astros not making his job easy. Mushinski's injury is a throwaway element for him, the meat is whining about Baker citing HIPAA when everyone knows it's probably just a bullshit ruse to not have to answer Chandler's question. 

• Hook 'Em 2