Track & Field

ScottishHorn

She’s just amazing. And to think she’s only 22. The peak age for much of the running/hurdling is 28. Her coach said once she’d hit the trifecta in hurdles she’s going to concentrate on running the 400m flat. Dayum girl. If anyone can break my Flo Jo’s record it’s Sydney!

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, BlueGreySky said:

So I’m basically a distance runner now (narrator’s voice: he’s not).

You are what you do, so yes you are. (Says the former distance runner turned parent volunteer who had to persuade middle school girls that running more than 800 meters was not the end of the world).

Thanks for posting the photos. Pre is legendary.

1 hour ago, Nicole44 said:

She’s just amazing. And to think she’s only 22. The peak age for much of the running/hurdling is 28. Her coach said once she’d hit the trifecta in hurdles she’s going to concentrate on running the 400m flat. Dayum girl. If anyone can break my Flo Jo’s record it’s Sydney!

Sydney M is an outstanding athlete and a great person. If she wants to go for it, then I will root for her to do so. But should she choose a different path for her life, I absolutely  will respect that.

• Hook 'Em 1

Last day!

Yesterdays womens 4x100 was absolutely electric. And the medal ceremony was damn cool.

Hitting some last places today before the PM session. Track town pizza. Wild duck - what a absolute dive bar. Love it.

Athing is likey out for the 4x400… either her or Muhammad. Florida Twitter just announced diggs is running tonight in the relay for sure.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, WBT said:

Did they just say the Swedish pole vaulter runs a 10.5 100?  That's moving

And closes down the show by breaking his own WR with lots of room to spare.  And hello Swedish girlfriend.

Wait, just googled him and he's actually the brother of the Duplantis that played baseball at LSU.  Born in Louisiana, dad is cajun and mom is Swedish.

Edited by WBT
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, WBT said:

And closes down the show by breaking his own WR with lots of room to spare.  And hello Swedish girlfriend.

Wait, just googled him and he's actually the brother of the Duplantis that played baseball at LSU.  Born in Louisiana, dad is cajun and mom is Swedish.

Just read up on him.  Crazy history.  Lives in Sweden now for summers and winters in Louisiana.  Niceeeee gf for sure.  Speaking of smokeshows, McLaughlin ran a 47.8 split.  The WR for the open 400 is 47.6 from an east german way back in 1957.  So yeah, she will break that when she starts running the 400.  Wild 

• Hook 'Em 1

Holy shit what a day. Today was the very best in so many ways. Thoughts, some about the meet, but most not.

This is the single hottest gathering of humans I’ve ever been to. Almost all the fans are coaches, athletes at every level, and families of athletes.

One older dude I’m friends with ran for us in the Olympics in the late 80s and early 90s. Has kids in college. Multiple ex wives. And a different 25yo with him at the bars every night we went out. The old distance guys make up for partying that they didn’t do in 20s-30s by looking like a Mormon set free from Utah.

And my new favorite because she runs my favorite race, is German, and not ugly at all… Luna Thiel. She’s not the hottest but she checks every box for me. And was nice when going around talking to fans after competing in her events while watching. Shame that 4x4 didn’t make the finals. Would love to watch her run in person.

I’m technology inept otherwise I’d link her instagram.

I’ll upload pics from today. Sad it’s over. Tired. Ready to go home. All in all 3 meet days, 4 nights was the perfect length and price.

I did get an offer for an interview as an administrator or teacher, and coach at a local HS. You damn bet I am flying back out to take the interview even if I don’t have a chance of accepting it.

It’s been historic.
It’s been FAST.
It had moments I’ll never see again in my lifetime.
It had moments some athletes have waited a lifetime for (Winger in the jav; Ziemek in decath)
It was full of youth and promise. 3 of our 4 ladies on he 4x4 in the final were collegiate this season and McG young enough to be in college still.
It had upsets! Women 4x1.
It had… upsets. Men 4x1.
It had sweeps! Men 1 & 2.
It had falls. Women 100h. 3 of 4 DQ at some point.

No politics (except one protest group from the Tigray Genocide in Ethiopia - which I suggest y’all look up). .

It had the very best of humanity. Joys. Cheers. Toasts to other team victories. It had Jamaicans! Oh
It had Jamaicans. They are the lifeblood and passion of the sport worldwide. It had shared meals, restaurant tables with multiple languages, peak of human physicality from every nation and race. It had fans who respected and enjoyed each other.

It had the unexpected. No traffic. No sirens. No arrests that I saw. No violence. Just fun. It had the sentimental - a proposal one night. It had the hysterical - the French decathlon winner said in his stadium interview when asked if he was tired after these two days… “no I don’t want to sleep. I just want to drink!!!”

It had a team of staff and volunteers from the WAC (purple shirts) that was courteous, nice, never running people off like yellow shirts at American events. They ran the meet and managed the people near perfectly. Lines to get in through detectors and ticket scanners never once took more than 2 minutes. Seriously.

It had tears -
Thankful ones of my saintly wife supporting me to do this even though the cost and missing 4 days with my family. I love this sport, by my family is everything to me. And without them I’d be lost, alone, sad, or some combination of all three.
Joyful tears of seeing my favorite American runner just bitch slap the 400m hurdle record and do it running into my face where I sat in the front row on Friday at the top of the back stretch.
Excited ones to do this with Sean. He’s been a mentor to me from the time we were rivals and I was HC at another school, to me changing schools years ago (after taking a 5 year coaching break) and asking if he needed a 4x1 coach not knowing where that would lead. This year began with my first state title in indoor.
HOLY SHIT!!! ones when mondo did his thing. The power and energy of the entire world, the entire packed stadium cheering on some Swede from Louisiana… it was even more electric than McGs record because it was the capstone to the meet and it ended on a Randy Moss gif sized explosion from everyone. EVERYONE was ecstatic. (his girlfriend more. Hot damn.)
Sincere ones. For winger especially but also for every athlete who stood on that top step, got that gold, and cried like a baby to their anthem.
Humble ones. To hear our national anthem so many times. Yet at the right time in sports. Not when every little league, AAU, travel soccer tournament, etc begins. Especially when it’s likely parents will get in a fight, an adult will make a kid cry, or someone will say something dehumanizing to an official. Not for the ordinary and the commonplace. No. Our anthem represents courage, honor, and our nation. It’s For the extraordinary, for the exceptional, for the champion. Never heard the anthem like that before. Ever. Hope I get to hear it that way again some day and feel even just a tenth as grateful my soul is and full my heart is now.

night assholes.
Tomorrow is always another day to go fast.
FeedTheCats. (IYKYK)

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 3

• 6 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Former 100-meter world champion and three-time Olympic medalist Tori Bowie has died at the age of 32, her management company said Wednesday.

"We're [devastated] to share the very sad news that Tori Bowie has passed away," Icon Management said in a statement on Twitter. "We've lost a client, dear friend, daughter and sister. Tori was a champion ... a beacon of light that shined so bright! We're truly heartbroken and our prayers are with the family and friends."

According to the Orange County Sheriff's Office in Orlando, Florida, deputies responded Tuesday afternoon to a home in the area "for a well-being check of a woman in her 30s who had not been seen or heard from in several days."

The sheriff's office wrote that a woman, "tentatively identified as Frentorish "Tori" Bowie (DOB: 8/27/1990), was found dead in the home. There were no signs of foul play."

Bowie turned in an electric performance at the 2016 Rio Olympics, winning silver in the 100 and bronze in the 200 and running the anchor leg on a 4x100 team with Tianna Bartoletta, Allyson Felix and English Gardner to take gold. 

https://www.espn.com/olympics/story/_/id/37298805/us-olympic-medal-winning-runners-tori-bowie-calvin-davis-die

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

@Nicole44 alluded to this elsewhere awhile back, official now. Damn. 

U.S. Olympic champion sprinter Tori Bowie died from complications of childbirth, according to an autopsy report obtained by multiple outlets.

Bowie, a former 100-meter world champion and three-time Olympic medalist, was found dead in her Florida home on May 2 after authorities were asked to perform a welfare check. She was 32.

According to the autopsy report from the Orange County (Florida) Medical Examiner's Office, Bowie was estimated to be eight months pregnant and in active labor at the time of her death.

Medical officials said possible complications Bowie had included respiratory distress and eclampsia, USA Today Sports reported, citing the autopsy.

Bowie won all three of her Olympic medals at the 2016 Rio Games, taking silver in the 100 meters and bronze in the 200 and running the anchor leg on a 4x100 team with Tianna Bartoletta, Allyson Felix and English Gardner to take gold.

After finishing second in the 100 meters in Rio, Bowie won the race at the world championships in London a year later.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Threw on some track event, as I often do if I happen to see it is on. The current world's fastest man, Noah Lyles, was on a transport golf cart that t-boned another cart on the way into the stadium. Fortunately, all the runners are on the track, but threw off the order of heats. 

W 4x4... wtf? No excuse there.  Sucks because I was so happy to see a former Indianapolis HS (Pike) girl who we've competed against get a chance.  Also wish another Indy guy Hocker (Cathedral HS) had done better - thought he would.

Both men and women 4x1 didn't crush it (maybe 2 good handoffs of the 6) but damn they still went gold which was awesome! As a 4x1 and sprint coach it made for a happy Saturday. Been a pretty good championship week for the sprinters.  Just wish Sydney had been healthy enough to compete during this week. 

Looking forward to the 4x4s tomorrow.  Wish Germany had qualified.  Missed out on finals by 0.24 - one of my to celeb crushes, Luna Thiel is on the team - pretty sure I've posted her in the Olympic hotties thread.  Got to meet her in Oregon a year ago during my days there for the meet.

Eh. She's incredibly lucky Sydney McLaughlin turned her attention to the open 400 (and then got injured) and that the US Women couldn't do something as simple as perform a basic facing handoff (versus a blind handoff that you see in the 4x1s).

You can only race against those who enter, so I'll give her props for that, but she's sitting on two golds that are more the result of luck (or someone else's misfortune) than her own excellence.

8 hours ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

Handoffs for USA in the women’s 4x100 were God awful.  Thankfully they some swuft gals.  Oh, Gabby Thomas fine as hell.

My mom’s across the street neighbor (and an Olympian) has been coaching Gabby the past three years. Happy for both Gabby and Tanja (her coach)

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Braff Zacklin said:

Eh. She's incredibly lucky Sydney McLaughlin turned her attention to the open 400 (and then got injured) and that the US Women couldn't do something as simple as perform a basic facing handoff (versus a blind handoff that you see in the 4x1s).

You can only race against those who enter, so I'll give her props for that, but she's sitting on two golds that are more the result of luck (or someone else's misfortune) than her own excellence.

She's still the second fastest 400m hurdler ever and only 22 years old and a really nice kid.  Without Syd (yeah, it's a stupid game to play what-if) she'd be the greatest 400m hurdler ever at still a relatively early stage in her career - it's like going against Jordan in the east in the 90s... sucks to be you!   I wouldn't be shocked if she one day gets the WR.  I just wish we could see those two race more head-to-head, but as long as Syd is focusing on the 400, it will likely only be in 4x4s where they happen to be running the same leg in the same heat or finals. 

• 6 months later...

Atascocita shatters the national record by almost one second in the 4x100:  38.92.  Duncanville also beat the national record and came in second. How would that feel? You beat the record ... and come in second. 

For comparison, the women's world record in the 4x100 was set by the U.S. women's Olympic team in London and is 40.82 seconds.

• Like 2