Formula 1 2023

Anton Chigurh

Posted this in the other thread by accident ... OBTW y'all should check out Bottas's insta, riding a Harley on I-35, etc. And follow Aston martin F1 on twitter and insta for the locations of popups they're doing where they give away merch. My buddy got a cool Alonso hat today. We tried to get there when they posted a location on 11th at the Capitol, but traffic sucked and we didn't make it. /csb

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, WithoutAClue said:

gbu.jpg

Miami looks like it would be fun except for the chicane sections on the right side. Everything else kinda looks like it flows.

Vegas does just look ugly and boring. Is it almost going to be Monza spec with those straights?

24 minutes ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

Vegas does just look ugly and boring.

It's going to be a night race right down the strip. The Sphere will be showing F1 content, but not the race live. It's all about the lights.

• Like 2

Just now, RPM said:

It's going to be a night race right down the strip. The Sphere will be showing F1 content, but not the race live. It's all about the lights.

The Sphere is pretty awesome. I don't give a shit about visiting Las Vegas, but I would like to see that eventually.

You know, this Andretti thing sure reminds me a lot of when Texas and ou sucks were invited to join the SEC. Aggy cried and moaned and stomped their feet. Then the grownups in the room told them to stfu and go sit in the corner while they counted all the extra money that the expansion was going to bring in. Then aggy voted for it in the end, like they were told to do. 

IMHO that's how this Andretti thing will end. The TPs will say 'No, no, no!!!' until Liberty/FOM tells them to say 'yes'. And they'll say 'Yes' and act like they were for it the whole time.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, utee94 said:

I mean, it makes sense that the only American team would have a protectionist attitude about it.  But, not totally sucking, might have helped them out a bit.

Yep, and if he doesn't want 2 American teams out there, I have a very elegant solution for that problem.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, Anton Chigurh said:

I mean, Andretti will be a backmarker too, so that part won’t change much.

Sure, they will at first just like anyone, but that doesn't mean they'll be there 8 years down the road, like Haas is. 

• Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

On 10/17/2023 at 1:06 PM, utee94 said:

An old fart for sure.  University of Texas Electrical Engineer, 1994.  utee94

But that just means, I grew up during the GOOD years, before kids' lives were dominated by video games and smart phones and social media.

Now you’ve gone too far, sir. Next you’re probably going to tell me the hundreds of hours I put into Mario Kart, Madden, and Halo weren’t the most productive use of my time. 

11 hours ago, williemackgarza said:

Im headed to Mexican GP next week. Cant wait

november GIF

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

15 hours ago, utee94 said:

I mean, it makes sense that the only American team would have a protectionist attitude about it.  But, not totally sucking, might have helped them out a bit.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Yes Haas did pull the Russian flag off their car after Putin went Full Putin, but they had to do so BECAUSE THEY DRAPED THEIR CAR IN IN THE FUCKING RUSSIAN FLAG.

It's going to be funny if when Andretti routinely finishes well clear of Haas.

Edited by Dutch
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, wood said:

Except that POS Guenther. NOBODY is more opposed to having another American team in F1 than he is.

https://www.the-race.com/formula-1/haas-insistent-argument-for-keeping-andretti-out-of-f1/

16 hours ago, utee94 said:

i know both of you know this but just in case not everyone does

"American"

• Hook 'Em 1

😬😬

Felipe Drugovich Roncato is a Brazilian-Italian racing driver who is current test and reserve driver for Aston Martin and McLaren in Formula 1. He is the 2018 Euroformula Open champion and the 2022 Formula 2 champion.

3 hours ago, NoName said:

i know both of you know this but just in case not everyone does

"American"

As in "American" in name only? Yep. There are probably a few Americans sprinkled into the team, but there's not really much American about it and certainly not much for us American F1 fans to get excited about. 

Edited by wood
  • Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, Dutch said:

Yes Haas did pull the Russian flag off their car after Putin went Full Putin, but they had to do so BECAUSE THEY DRAPED THEIR CAR IN IN THE FUCKING RUSSIAN FLAG.

It's going to be funny if when Andretti routinely finishes well clear of Haas.

Yep, and because they were told by their NASCAR sponsors back here that they'd better divest from that shit or their American sponsors were going to divest from them.  Haas only got out of bed with the Russkies because they were told to, and it's really not clear if they've fully broken from them.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, wood said:

Yep, and because they were told by their NASCAR sponsors back here that they'd better divest from that shit or their American sponsors were going to divest from them.  Haas only got out of bed with the Russkies because they were told to, and it's really not clear if they've fully broken from them.

Pathetic. But, then again, it's Haas.

• Rage+1 1

33 minutes ago, wood said:

Yeah, aren't they selling CNC machines and parts through some Chinese subsidiary (that was set up 2 weeks after the Russia embargo happened) now?  

• Hook 'Em 2

I wouldn't say I hate any team, but if there was a team that's closest to it, that would be HAAS. 

You know you're on the right track when Americans don't like you and you're the only American team.

5 minutes ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

I wouldn't say I hate any team, but if there was a team that's closest to it, that would be HAAS. 

You know you're on the right track when Americans don't like you and you're the only American team.

I've never heard anyone utter a complimentary word about Gene Haas.

• Hook 'Em 1

22 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:

I've never heard anyone utter a complimentary word about Gene Haas.

Know nothing of him. I just see a team that seems perfectly happy to be racing at the back of the pack with retread drivers and no real desire to compete. How are you going to be a fan of that?

At least Mick was someone you could root for.

1 hour ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

Know nothing of him. I just see a team that seems perfectly happy to be racing at the back of the pack with retread drivers and no real desire to compete. How are you going to be a fan of that?

Yeah, Gene feels like a guy who is there to sell CNC machines, not win races.  Andretti, OTOH, will be there to win.

• Hook 'Em 3

1 hour ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

This comment made me think about the current field.  I think it's split into 2 distinct categories - teams who are trying to win and teams that aren't.  

Trying to win:

• Red Bull
  • Mercedes
  • Ferrari
  • McLaren
  • Aston

Just happy to be here and make money:

• Alfa Romeo
  • Haas
  • Alpha Tauri
  • Williams

I'm honestly not sure where to put Alpine.  Probably in the trying to win, but I'm not 100% on that.

4 minutes ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

Why is it weird? There's a lot of cache to saying you're invested in an F1 team.

I guess if your goal is to impress people not smart enough to know Alpine is shit, then sure. 

Investments are supposed to yield returns - how does investing in a bad F1 team return anything?

If they follow the Wrexham plan, they are going to bring in talented people and then give them plenty of money to get on the right track.  Ryan Reynolds isn't giving money to someone unless he's pretty sure he's going to get even more of it back.

On 12/5/2022 at 5:55 PM, Prepuce of Doom said:

My 2023 resolution will be to stop being such a piece of shit and watch more races live (or same day....ish, as I do often have work travel on Sundays...) so that I'm not pages and pages behind in this thread. 

I have been an utter, miserable failure at keeping this resolution. 

But I just wanted to chime in and say how much of a kick I get out of the female Irish analyst's accent. 

• Hook 'Em 3

1 hour ago, Anton Chigurh said:

The budget cap means F1 teams are pretty profitable.

If they're already profitable, why the need for $218M investment?  I've always thought racing programs were like boats - black hole money pits that made the owners happy because cool toys - and only the very top teams actually made any money.

I see a $140M cap and Renault took home $112M last year.  So it's up to sponsorships to bridge and go above that $28M gap, yes? 

I know that engine development doesn't fall under the cap...does salary for the driver, team, support staff and all that fall under it at all?  There's a lot of expense that isn't restricted by that cap, from what I can tell via the googles.

I would be very interested to know what kind of P&L is going on w/ especially the mid-tier teams like Alpine, McLaren, Aston Martin, Williams.

Edited by Mittens
  • Hook 'Em 1

Above and beyond this?

Ferrari: $205 million
Mercedes: $177 million
McLaren: $152 million
Red Bull Racing: $100 million
Renault: $73 million
Haas: $70 million
Williams: $60 million
Racing Point: $59 million
Sauber: $56 million
Toro Rosso: $52 million

3 hours ago, Mittens said:

I think Alpine is trying to win, they're just shitty at it.  Expected, because French.

Has this been discussed here yet?  Find it odd that all these guys are throwing money at that shit team.

From what I've been reading, most if not all of that investment is into the road car division, not the F1 team, but F1's not gonna discourage anyone from thinking otherwise.

• Hook 'Em 1