Formula 1 2023

Anton Chigurh

Weird catch-22, I'm a fan of F1 because of DTS and before that the show on Amazon Prime that followed McLaren. 

But the non-Americanization of it all is one of my favorite aspects. I love that it comes on early in the morning and is over in 90 minutes. I love that it's commercial free. And I love that there aren't talking heads on American TV constantly bloviating about it. ESPN and sports media have the ability to just beat things to death. 

I don't want an 8 a.m. race that actually starts at 8:22, features talking heads arguing hot takes on the race, and having something like a commercial caution where every race has a safety car to allow the network to cut to commercial break.

I'm being facetious, but I only see ESPN being more interested as a negative.

Hopefully they stick with Sky's pre and post race shows and keep their "in house" programming on ESPN+ or their social media.

Best thing they could do? Stick with Sky's post-race show instead of immediately cutting to SpotsCenter.

Edited by Dutch
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

I used to watch in the before times on Speed TV, Speedvision, etc. F1 with commercials and Leigh Diffey suuuuucked ass. Matchett explaining everthing like we were 5 every race was pretty annoying though I did like David Hobbs (I know Wood hated him lol). As long as they keep Sky, Brundle and no commercials I'll be a happy camper.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

46 minutes ago, Dutch said:

Hopefully they stick with Sky's pre and post race shows and keep their "in house" programming on ESPN+ or their social media.

Best thing they could do? Stick with Sky's post-race show instead of immediately cutting to SpotsCenter.

This is my concern.  I very much enjoy the 90min pre-race show when I have time and hate when they immediately cut out after a race.  I fear we're going to lose the Sky pre-race show.

• Hook 'Em 1

Tost saying AlphaTauri isn't for sale, which isn't super shocking. if it came from somewhere other than AMuS it would be different, but they have a solid track record.

“I had some very good meetings with Oliver Mintzlaff, who confirmed that the shareholders will not sell Scuderia AlphaTauri, and that Red Bull will continue supporting the team in the future,” Tost said. “All these rumors have no foundation, and the team has to remain focused for the start of the season to perform better than last year.”

1 hour ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

top reddit comment on this:

If testing was an indication, they also got permission to drive slower than the competition, so their ads are longer in the camera shots.

• Haha 2

21 hours ago, faps said:

I used to watch in the before times on Speed TV, Speedvision, etc. F1 with commercials and Leigh Diffey suuuuucked ass. Matchett explaining everthing like we were 5 every race was pretty annoying though I did like David Hobbs (I know Wood hated him lol). As long as they keep Sky, Brundle and no commercials I'll be a happy camper.

I loved Hobbs, dgaf lol.

Also, this is awesome.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

23 hours ago, faps said:

No, no. I love Hobbo. He was my favorite, then Matchett. It's Varsha I can do without. And Diffey, even though he's a great guy. 

And yeah, I'm good with the Sky team. Warts and all, far better than the F1 'coverage' any American broadcaster has ever given us.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, NoName said:

Tost saying AlphaTauri isn't for sale, which isn't super shocking. if it came from somewhere other than AMuS it would be different, but they have a solid track record.

It's probably not for sale, but even if it were, they'd never admit it publicly until it's already sold. 

• Hook 'Em 1

9 minutes ago, wood said:

It's probably not for sale, but even if it were, they'd never admit it publicly until it's already sold. 

It certainly seems like they should be interested in selling. Having a second team was just Dietrich dream purchase and they're not getting hardly any marketing value out of the team being Alpha Tauri.  F1's revenue and viewership is sky high right now, and I'm not sure how much longer that will trend up. Plus, you have at least one well-funded group chomping at the bit to get in.  It seems like a pretty ideal time to sell. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

13 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

It certainly seems like they should be interested in selling. Having a second team was just Dietrich dream purchase and they're not getting hardly any marketing value out of the team being Alpha Tauri.  F1's revenue and viewership is sky high right now, and I'm not sure how much longer that will trend up. Plus, you have at least one well-funded group chomping at the bit to get in.  It seems like a pretty ideal time to sell. 

Agreed. Oh, and in other news, Cornstrolio gonna race in Bahrain.

• Haha 1

what was the deal with the audio for the first 20 min of FP1?

also the Lewis Hamilton/piercing issue resolved in the most obvious way ever - a doctors exemption. why they are picking fights with the drivers is beyond me.

Whatever it was the broadcast team seemed to be unaware of it.  Never mentioned it and were commenting on radio chatter that we couldn't hear.  Guessing it was an ESPN issue.

Edited by kevwun
  • Hook 'Em 1

Just now, kevwun said:

Whatever it was the broadcast team seemed to be unaware of it.  Never mentioned it and were commenting on radio chatter that we couldn't hear.  Guessing it was an ESPN issue.

yeah, i didn't notice it until way later when they paused for Logan Sargent audio and it didn't happen.

weird.

1 minute ago, PittsburghTiger said:

P2 is on now, half-hour to go. Alonso looking pretty good, p1, just in front of Max.

It's happening isn't it? AM is going to be competitive?

Stroll looks like he's having major issues steering. Having to take his hand off of the wheel's handle and put it on the underside to steer with his arm instead of his wrist.

image.png.beb3ba3d495855bdfaf10d9332474414.png

Edited by FirstTimeCaller

3 minutes ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

Stroll looks like he's having major issues steering. Having to take his hand off of the wheel's hand and put it on the underside to steer with his arm instead of his wrist.

image.png.beb3ba3d495855bdfaf10d9332474414.png

Now they just played the radio and they asked him to do something differently and he said, “I can’t man. I can’t. With the hands”

Seems kind of dangerous, and stupid, to have him in the car this weekend.

3 minutes ago, PittsburghTiger said:

Now they just played the radio and they asked him to do something differently and he said, “I can’t man. I can’t. With the hands”

I don't know. You don't really use your hands that much in racing. I'm sure it will be fine.

3 minutes ago, PittsburghTiger said:

can't believe they are going to let him drive. they need to have Drugovich do FP3 just so they aren't putting him in the car cold.

1 minute ago, PittsburghTiger said:

I am anxious to see the dynamic on HAAS this year with two drivers that don’t really care for each other.

i think it goes way better than Alpine. those 2 didn't like each other before - Ocon has had issues with teammates for years

• Hook 'Em 1