Formula 1 2023

Anton Chigurh

24 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

If any other team came out with that livery (with an appropriate stripe color for their team) they would have been mocked for mailing it in.

I consider having a 99% the same livery as the previous year as mailing it in but unless I'm missing the derision, I don't see RB or Ferrari being mocked.

Clearly a divisive car. Probably for multiple reasons.

48 minutes ago, wood said:

A few 2023 buckets ...

Leclerc

FpBnAw3WABkQaxi.jpg

Reveal hidden contents

Fernando

Fo70BaeaUAAiGS-.jpg

George

aloveuwv47ia1.jpg

Zhou

Fom7_CaX0AIjWtH.jpg

Sargent

FodWpk-XwAEQ_57.jpg

Lando

Fox2BevWAAMeacd.jpeg

Hulk

cs4lk1nrgkha1.png?width=640&crop=smart&a

Sainz

Fo7EhTlWAAECmma.jpg

Ocon. Very cool helmet, but fuck him.

212ce97b4854f74e6f0d73487fbd1593.jpg

Yuki

Fo70DL7agAEP1fW.jpg

Hulk

cs4lk1nrgkha1.png?width=640&crop=smart&a

Lewis

PQCF4P8.png

Lol, We've done work for Santander and built environments in data centers for Crowdstrike.

38 minutes ago, dieucla98 said:

I consider having a 99% the same livery as the previous year as mailing it in but unless I'm missing the derision, I don't see RB or Ferrari being mocked.

Hmm. I don't remember anyone saying they hated it. It looks aight. I've loved some of Merc's past liveries. This one, not as much.

I have no problem with a team bringing back a nice livery. It's better than going off in some shitty direction a la McLaren, etc.

1 hour ago, Huckleberry said:

If any other team came out with that livery (with an appropriate stripe color for their team) they would have been mocked for mailing it in.

People showing up to the RC car track with an unpainted body would have been mocked

2 hours ago, dieucla98 said:

Ferrari made changes to its livery last year and added “Ferrari” on the rear wing this year, but they will always be a red car, because it’s fucking Ferrari. Just like Mercedes have been the silver arrows for decades. Teams like Oregon and A&M do gimmicky jerseys every year and no one cares, but if Texas added black as a main color to their jerseys people would go apoplectic. 

Edited by Burt Macklin
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

On 2/16/2023 at 4:00 PM, dieucla98 said:

Nearly everyone has mocked RBR.  We were mocking them even before they released their livery, with the expectation that it would look exactly the same.

Ferrari is Ferrari, slight alterations will occur but no real need to mess with perfection.  I liked the shift to more black and less white after the initial departure of Santander a couple years back, because it looked more like the classic Ferraris of the 80s/early 90s. As @Burt Macklin pointed out, The University of Texas doesn't change up its football uniform very much either, because it's already perfect.

23 hours ago, wood said:

Hmm. I don't remember anyone saying they hated it. It looks aight. I've loved some of Merc's past liveries. This one, not as much.

I have no problem with a team bringing back a nice livery. It's better than going off in some shitty direction a la McLaren, etc.

Yeah I don't hate the Merc livery, I just commented that it's boring AF.  And really disappointing after some of the truly beautiful silver/teal liveries they've rolled out over the past 5 or 7 years.

I DO hate the squashed sidepod look, that's truly, truly ugly.  But it doesn't have anything to do with the Merc livery.  I understand the technical reasons for deflated sidepods, I just don't like the way it looks.  There were technical reasons for the dong-noses a few years back too, but that didn't make them any less ugly.

1 hour ago, faps said:

Your comment made me think of this badass Porsche Bathurst New Zealand livery.

ytlteu5vvje21.jpg?auto=webp&s=38e35778ccae93144f529438cb37428ee59c660b

Now THAT is an example of a beautiful black livery.  Tons of graphic detail both subtle and less so.  The All Blacks would be proud of that car. :)

• Hook 'Em 2

On 2/17/2023 at 5:28 PM, utee94 said:

Now THAT is an example of a beautiful black livery.  Tons of graphic detail both subtle and less so.  The All Blacks would be proud of that car. :)

That car should come with a fucking Affliction t shirt.

Plus fuck the All Blacks.

• Haha 1

Jeez, what is it with drivers and cycling accidents?? Lance, Alonso and Webber all had off season incidents on bikes.

Then you have Nicky Hayden RIP, Alex Zanardi (almost dying again) and Bob Wolleck RIP. There are probably others, those are the ones off the top of my head.

Funny, we just had this same discussion over on motorsport mayhem.  I just found out that apparently Hayden ran a stop sign.

With so many distracted and/or beligerent drivers these days, I just won't ride my road bike anymore. Only ride my mountain bike, on trails. I'm nervous enough as it is, just riding the 1/2 mile on neighbohood streets just to get to and from the trails. Soooo many shitty drivers. Literally every time I get in my car now, I see at least one person paying more attention to their phone than their driving. They're as bad as drunk drivers. 

And it goes both ways, too. A minority of cyclists out there give the rest of us a bad name and make it much tougher on cyclists everywhere who try to ride safely and with consideration for motorists. I just don't understand their attitudes - or the attitudes of motorists who can't share the road with cyclists who are actually doing it right. 

• Like 2

3 days of preseason testing. In the past, there was unlimited testing pre-season that was later restricted to control costs if i read correctly. 

So with a cost cap in place, why keep the restriction?  Why not let the teams determine how much to test based on their budget?  As for leveling the field, would more on track testing available for the lowest teams do more than more wind tunnel time?  

Seems like a lost chance at some variability. 

Edited by ChickenSandwich
  • Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, ChickenSandwich said:

3 days of preseason testing. In the past, there was unlimited testing pre-season testing that was later restricted to control costs if i read correctly. 

So with a cost cap in place, why keep the restriction?  Why not let the teams determine how much to test based on their budget?  As for leveling the field, would more on track testing available for the lowest teams do more than more wind tunnel time?  

Seems like a lost chance at some variability. 

Yeah I don't get it either. Keep the spending cap and open everything else up, as long as you stay under. Let the teams decide how to allocate their spending, and live or die with those decisions. IMHO it would probably introduce more variability, which imho is always a good thing.

3 hours ago, Anton Chigurh said:

I feel like they just want more in-season uncertainty and they feel they get that by reducing testing. In reality I think it hurts the smaller teams more, though.

Agree 100%.

• Hook 'Em 2

If you want F1TV, they are running the annual sale (or were as of yesterday). It's $64 a year for new subscribers. I think it's $80 normally.

If you already subscribed last year, what I do is just amend my email address each year to get the new deal. If you just add "+" and a modifier to your email, it reads as a new address, but gmail at least still routes it to your regular email. So "example@gmail.com" and "example+F1@gmail.com" both go to "example@gmail.com" but F1TV sees it as a new email address and gives the lower rate.

I watched a bit of testing. Ferrari looks like it’s still porpoising a bit, but hard to tell because the track is very bumpy. 

Also saw something on F1 technical saying RB was the best last year at sealing the outer edges of the floor, so the 15mm floor height raise could create an even bigger gap over the field. That would suck. 

Just watched 15 minutes of practice while I ate lunch. I was wrong about the Mercedes. I thought it looked mean. Seeing it in action, it's ugly. The shape is just... not appealing. 

The Ferrari looks really good, however.