Huge Piece of Shit and alleged Woman Abuser Chris Beard has been hired at Mississippi

The Ace of Aces

27 minutes ago, El Squared said:

So how many here called for a certain successful baseball coach that got drunk and drove in downtown Austin. Not too many. One could argue that was at least as irresponsible and stupid as Beard. 

"Irresponsible" really isn't the right word to describe hitting, choking and biting a woman. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 3

10 minutes ago, TreatyOak said:

"Irresponsible" really isn't the right word to describe hitting, choking and biting a woman. 

Being able to kill or maim people , impaired with your vehicle is as bad or worse.  IMO. Just because he didn’t take anyone out doesn’t make it a little thing. It’s like shooting into a crowd but no one got hurt. And he was fairly wasted.but lucky.Not excusing Beard’s shittiness.

Edited by El Squared
  • Hook 'Em 3

44 minutes ago, El Squared said:

Being able to kill or maim people , impaired with your vehicle is as bad or worse.  IMO. Just because he didn’t take anyone out doesn’t make it a little thing. It’s like shooting into a crowd but no one got hurt. And he was fairly wasted.but lucky.Not excusing Beard’s shittiness.

I think you can make a case either way. With a vehicle, you can injure far more people, but you're not setting out to intentionally cause harm. Attacking a woman, even if in the act of defending yourself, is an intentional act, which some would argue is worse. Both are fairly awful, for sure. 

3 hours ago, TreatyOak said:

I think you can make a case either way. With a vehicle, you can injure far more people, but you're not setting out to intentionally cause harm. Attacking a woman, even if in the act of defending yourself, is an intentional act, which some would argue is worse. Both are fairly awful, for sure. 

He’s twice her size. Did he really have to bite her?

7 hours ago, El Squared said:

So how many here called for a certain successful baseball coach that got drunk and drove in downtown Austin. Not too many. One could argue that was at least as irresponsible and stupid as Beard. 

One difference is he had already built up years and years of goodwill at that point 

Another is he acted contrite after the fact

A third is he didn't leave any bite marks on a woman

2 minutes ago, MotownHorn said:

One difference is he had already built up years and years of goodwill at that point 

Fucking ass clown valet dude turned off the headlights. That’s why Augie was busted

• Hook 'Em 1

Augie should no longer be coaching at UT as well. RIP

I'll be surprised if they make the tournament without a big run in the SEC tournament. They've coasted off a relatively easy schedule so far that is about to get brutal for a team that is barely hanging onto one of the last few byes in most projections. 

58 minutes ago, ITHorn said:

I'll be surprised if they make the tournament without a big run in the SEC tournament. They've coasted off a relatively easy schedule so far that is about to get brutal for a team that is barely hanging onto one of the last few byes in most projections. 

Sec basketball brutal?  You sure?

18 hours ago, MotownHorn said:

No but people coulda been pushing up daisies , but I guess drunk driving doesn't make you a piece of shit...unless you lost a friend of family member to one. But that's a double standard. As far as Augie "building up good will"--that's just another word for "winning" which seems to overcome bad behavior,in most places, including Texas.  Well they both were winners. 

18 minutes ago, El Squared said:

No but people coulda been pushing up daisies , but I guess drunk driving doesn't make you a piece of shit...unless you lost a friend of family member to one. But that's a double standard. As far as Augie "building up good will"--that's just another word for "winning" which seems to overcome bad behavior,in most places, including Texas.  Well they both were winners. 

It was also an entirely different administration. None of us know what CDC would have done if he was the AD when that happened. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, El Squared said:

I guess Beards year 1 wasn’t enough to overcome bite marks.  Them are the breaks

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, El Squared said:

I guess you're not familiar with the term, 'Texas sober.'

48 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

I guess Beards year 1 wasn’t enough to overcome bite marks.  Them are the breaks

Good point. And 13-14 years prior. Beard might have been able to play off the bite marks as one of his kinks back in 2009

27 minutes ago, TreatyOak said:

I guess you're not familiar with the term, 'Texas sober.'

#1 driving drunk is trash.   But id bet most of this board has done it at least once.   Augie was going maybe two miles on a road he’s driven hundreds of times.  He was busted because his lights weren’t on I believe.  

still inexcusable.  Fireable offense?  That I’m not sure about. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Drunk driving is bad because there is the POTENTIAL that you are going to harm someone.  It  similar in some ways to practicing poor gun safety (which is very dangerous and can get people killed). 

Both are very different than ACTUALLY harming someone and getting arrested for it.  I would argue that being verbally abusive is worse than drunk driving.  

Harming someone WHILE drunk driving is different. You deserve to be fired and also go to jail in that case.  

• Hook 'Em 3

Saw an interesting stat on the fiance beater this morning. 33-30 in conference play over the last 4 full seasons (2 at Tech, 1 at Texas, 1 at Ole Miss) since his title game appearance in 2019.

I don't mention that to downplay his ability as a coach, but it does show a) just how hard it is to win in the Big 12 and b) his specialty remains the tournament, where he has never lost a round of 64 game and is 11-5 overall.

1 hour ago, Hookem2147 said:

Saw an interesting stat on the fiance beater this morning. 33-30 in conference play over the last 4 full seasons (2 at Tech, 1 at Texas, 1 at Ole Miss) since his title game appearance in 2019.

I don't mention that to downplay his ability as a coach, but it does show a) just how hard it is to win in the Big 12 and b) his specialty remains the tournament, where he has never lost a round of 64 game and is 11-5 overall.

You mean to tell me Saint Chris Beard may not be infallible after all?!?!?!?

1 hour ago, Hookem2147 said:

yep. he’s said it himself: “we’re a monday night program.” you have coaches like barnes and sampson who can build teams that are regular season giants but that ultimately aren’t built for tourney success (although sampson and barnes have their best ever teams at their current schools, so we’ll see what happens this year), and then you have Beaard who builds teams that might lose some games to their conference foes who know them and prepare for them year round, but that are built to blitzkreig their opponents come tourney time playing 40 minutes of hell. he understands what the bottom line is, and he builds his teams accordingly. he was the absolute perfect HC for this (and sadly most) fan base(s) who at the end of the day really only care about the tourney.

Edited by shadow_operative

16 hours ago, HookEm said:

Drunk driving is bad because there is the POTENTIAL that you are going to harm someone.  It  similar in some ways to practicing poor gun safety (which is very dangerous and can get people killed). 

Both are very different than ACTUALLY harming someone and getting arrested for it.  I would argue that being verbally abusive is worse than drunk driving.  

Harming someone WHILE drunk driving is different. You deserve to be fired and also go to jail in that case.  

Drunk driving is a tough one. The drunk driver doesn't intend to hurt anyone. Everyone makes mistakes. But what I would tell people is that if you know you make bad decisions(like the decision to drive) when you drink, and you continue to make the conscious choice to drink, you're a problem.

Edited by Pam Cummings
  • Hook 'Em 1

27 minutes ago, HookEm said:

Meh. The fact is that just about every one of us has driven drunk. But most of us aren't verbally abusive.  Our actions reflect our values, whether we admit it or not.

To be perfectly blunt, it sounds like you have some trauma surrounding verbal abuse. 

My final argument would be there's some matter of perspective regarding this, but verbal abuse is a pretty nebulous term, defined mostly by the recipient, and can range across a whole range of behavior. Drunk driving actually has a measurable blood alcohol content associated with it. To say all verbal abuse is worse than all drunk driving is not accurate. To say that all drunk driving is worse than all verbal abuse is probably also not accurate. But from my life perspective, most drunk driving is worse than most verbal abuse, in terms of the potential victims around the perpetrator having agency to do something about it.

I'd also argue that in terms of history, a lot of great things have been accomplished by humanity amidst a great deal of verbal abuse. I don't think any great things have been accomplished amidst drunk driving. 

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, HookEm said:

Meh. The fact is that just about every one of us has driven drunk. But most of us aren't verbally abusive.  Our actions reflect our values, whether we admit it or not.

just because we as a society have deemed that driving drunk is more acceptable than talking down to and/or putting your hands on your SO doesn’t mean it isn’t way, way worse. you and your crazy ass partner can beat the shit out of each other every day of the week and that’s only hurting y’all. but drinking and driving? i don’t if you went to school here in central Texas where a bunch of us did, but if you did then i don’t need to remind you of who jacqueline saburido is. ask her and her family which is worse-  verbal abuse, or getting drunk and then driving. this one isn’t even close.

also, reminder that randi trew lost her job at frenship HS due to her verbal abuse of her kids, among other things. so if that’s really worse than drunk driving, then being so verbally abusive to the kids you’re in charge of that the school lets you go despite having just led the team to its best ever season says a lot about the poor, helpless, blameless victim of chris beard’s “abuse”.

just because we as a society have deemed that driving drunk is more acceptable than talking down to and/or putting your hands on your SO doesn’t mean it isn’t way, way worse. you and your crazy ass partner can beat the shit out of each other every day of the week and that’s only hurting y’all. but drinking and driving? i don’t if you went to school here in central Texas where a bunch of us did, but if you did then i don’t need to remind you of who jacqueline saburido is. ask her and her family which is worse-  verbal abuse, or getting drunk and then driving. this one isn’t even close.

Reggie Stephey showed up in the mugshot thread getting a d dub somewhat recently. Thought it would make the news but it never did.

2 hours ago, SL Xpress said:

To be perfectly blunt, it sounds like you have some trauma surrounding verbal abuse. 

Thankfully I've never been abused in any form.  But I do have a bias against abusive people, whether it is physical or mental. And I do agree that there is a broad spectrum for both drinking and driving and abuse.  After reflection, DUI is probably worse on average. But verbal abuse can lead to terrible stuff like suicide and can ruin people's lives.  I had friends with verbally abusive parents and it ruined the whole trajectory of their life.

I actually ran track for UT and was coached by Stan Huntsman.  That dude could be a bigtime asshole, but I never considered it abuse.  I am willing to give a TON of benefit of the doubt to coaches, drill sergeants or even bosses - especially when the relationship is generally voluntary.

2 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

also, reminder that randi trew lost her job at frenship HS due to her verbal abuse of her kids, among other things. so if that’s really worse than drunk driving, then being so verbally abusive to the kids you’re in charge of that the school lets you go despite having just led the team to its best ever season says a lot about the poor, helpless, blameless victim of chris beard’s “abuse”.

Curious why beard would stay with an abuser ?  

• Haha 3

3 hours ago, CTC2 said:

It should if we were performing better. 

I don't know if it will end the discussion for me or not, but Beard is going to live rent free in my head for as long as he's a successful head coach, whether I share that on here or not. If he could have some kind of personal meltdown without hurting anyone and go coach at the equivalent of Tarleton State like Gillispie, that would give me a lot of closure. 

27 minutes ago, SL Xpress said:

Beard is going to live rent free in my head for as long as he's a successful head coach,

same. i’ve said it before, but his idiotic series of decisions which let to his termination is the worst moment(s) of my sports following life. worse than colt’s injury, worse than the 2008 TTU game, even worse than Black Jesus being drafted by a team with jeff fisher as its head coach. 

i was explaining it to my mom the other day and i put it to her like this: think about how hard it is to land a truly great player. aside from zach edey and maybe a couple other guys this year, there’s just not many of them around, and the ones that are around only consider going to a select few schools. now multiply that x100 and you’ve got how hard it is to land a truly great coach. they are very few and far between, and they tend to stay put for 2-3 decades once they get a great job, usually only leaving for their alma mater.

that was us with beard. we had our bill self, roy williams, jay wright type of coach- the kind that you normally only dream of having. the kind who brings you 20, 25, 30 years of winning 7-8/10 of your games, signing the best recruits, sending guys to the nba, and winning championships. there is no other position in the entire world of sports like “elite cbb coach”. they win big, they do it forever, and they don’t go anywhere. we had that guy, and you don’t get that guy more than once. not if you aren’t kansas or unc. we had that guy, and as quickly as he gave us all a taste of what was coming, he got himself fired and then immediately hired by one of our new rivals. it still doesn’t seem real. shit is cruel and tragic. so yeah- i’m not going to stop thinking about this one for a while. he’s in my head.

• Hook 'Em 2

Agree. The Beard shit is my all time sports low. He was going to crush it here. And he was going to usher in a level of fan support that we will never see again. Even beyond his coaching, that is the thing he does best. We will never get a promoter like Beard because there really isn’t anyone like him. Couple that with the Moody center and it was set up to be epic.

Nope.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 1