Huge Piece of Shit and alleged Woman Abuser Chris Beard has been hired at Mississippi

The Ace of Aces

47 minutes ago, HookEm said:

Again, a top-5 coach should never miss the tournament even at a school without a ton of historical success. Ole Miss has resources. We aren't talking about Fresno State here.  

dude, come on. he’s in year one at one of the worst programs in major cbb playing in one of the best conferences in america, and he runs a system which requires a specific player type for it to succeed. he isn’t even running his system this year. this is a wildly cynical take coming from an unabashed RT apologist.

Posted (edited)

this is their entire program history for christ's sake:

IMG_0366.thumb.jpeg.799fb549c14e32662a3d52a521d47efa.jpeg

but yeah, epic failure not making the tourney this year at this broken down pit stop of a school.

edit: you’ve made an argument so disingenuous and wrong that for the first time in internet history, the “coach k didn’t make the tourney his first four years!!!” argument is actually applicable and valid. well done.

Edited by shadow_operative

He hates this Ole Miss team. You can hear it in his voice when talking with the media and how he acts on the sideline during games.

We'll see how things look next year. He might want to play some teams with a pulse in non-con to help up his NET.

27 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

coming from an unabashed RT apologist

You keep saying this, but it simply isn't true. I guess that is the state of the world these days... There is no middle ground or balance.  You are either labeled as an RT sunshine pumper or hater.  

There was no bigger Beard fan on this board than me, I promise you that.  I liked him long before Texas hired him.  My parents are top 1% Tech donors and are basketball fanatics. I've been subjected to countless Beard games over the years.  And when we hired him, it was guaranteed we were going to be great.

But Beard didn't do it alone at Tech. Mark Adams was a big reason for their success and was a great assistant. Dude coached a Juco national title himself and took Tech to the Sweet 16.  He was just too weird and lost the locker room. 

And Beard didn't do it alone at Texas.  Rodney Terry and the rest of the staff did a lot of the heavy lifting before Beard was fired, and did all of the heavy lifting after.  Most of my posts simply ask that we give RT the credit that he is due.  But for the thousandth time, I don't think we should have hired him.

I also wouldn't say that Beard's season this year is an "epic failure", but it is a failure.  BEARD HIMSELF WOULD SAY IT IS A FAILURE.

Posted (edited)
23 minutes ago, HookEm said:

I guess that is the state of the world these days... There is no middle ground or balance.

LMAO. this from the guy who just slammed chris beard for not making the tourney year 1 at a school that’s been to the tourney nine times in 100+ years and has won a total of three first round tourney games ever. you’re on a roll today fam. that’s too good.

• Fuck You 1

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, HookEm said:

And yet RT is a terrible coach because he wasn't dominant at Fresno State and UTEP.  Hahahaha.  

who said that? that’s that same straw man argument that you RT apologists (which you literally are being right now, despite your denial of this) keep bringing up over and over. “oh he sucks because he didn’t win big at schools where other shitty-mediocre coaches also failed to win big!” that’s you guys saying that. nobody else. all the rest of us have said is that he’s not good enough to be the HC at Texas, which is empirically evident, and not even a little bit controversial.

but yeah bro, you’re the champion of nuance and totally not an RT apologist. 👌🏻 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

and as for YOUR argument that RT not winning shit in 10 years as a HC at those two schools says nothing about him as a HC (a lazy, laughable take), i’ll just go ahead and copy/paste what i said the last time i dunked all over that asinine argument:

the fact that other coaches haven’t done much better at fresno and utep doesn’t say anything positive about RT, yet i’ve seen this argument countless times here.

He Who Shall Not Be Named went to UALR and in his first year there he won more than anyone else had ever won there before; then he went to TTU and pretty much immediately took that program further than it had ever been- twice; then he came to Texas and within ~17 months of being hired had Texas at no.1 in kenpom for the first time ever; now he’s at ole miss and he’s once again winning at a level that the coaches who came before him couldn’t reach. that’s what really good coaches do.  

• Hook 'Em 1

What a sad sack of a program Ole Miss is. Making the tourney in year one is an impossibly high standard there.

Oh, except in year one, Kermit Davis (Ole Miss's LAST coach) made the tournament in year one (taking them from 12-20 the year before).  Oh, and Rod Barnes, the Ole Miss coach two coaches prior (in the early 2000s) took Ole Miss to the 2nd round of the tournament in his first year.  Of course, Barnes' starting point was higher, but still... two out of the last three Ole Miss coaches made the tourney in year one.

Neither of those dudes were top-5 coaches either. 

winning independence day GIF by IFC

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

5 minutes ago, Underdog said:

They haven't been eliminated from the NCAAT yet, still a matter of a SECT to go. 

That will be new for Chris, since he typically doesn’t give a rat’s ass about the conference tournament 

2 hours ago, Hookem2147 said:

He hates this Ole Miss team. You can hear it in his voice when talking with the media and how he acts on the sideline during games.

The funny thing is, he brought in most of them.  Out of his top-10 players, he brought in seven of them. And most are juniors or seniors.   If he hates them, he has nobody to blame but himself.

• Matthew Murrell - SR
  • Jaylen Murray - JR - Beard transfer
  • Allen Flanigan - SR - Beard transfer
  • Jaemyn Brakefield - SR
  • Brandon Murray - JR - Beard transfer
  • TF Caldwell - SO
  • Jamarion Sharp - SR - Beard transfer
  • Moussa Cisse - SR - Beard transfer
  • Austin Nunez - So - Beard transfer
  • Rashaud Marshall - FR - Beard recruit

33 minutes ago, HookEm said:

The funny thing is, he brought in most of them.  Out of his top-10 players, he brought in seven of them. And most are juniors or seniors.   If he hates them, he has nobody to blame but himself.

• Matthew Murrell - SR
  • Jaemyn Brakefield - SR
  • TF Caldwell - SO

Friday Movie GIF

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

Louisville, Michigan and Indiana could all be open and come calling for Beard. Plus potential Cal or Self exits/retirements at some point 

I could see beard jumping to Indiana if offered, being a Bobby knight protege

5 hours ago, HookEm said:

Again, a top-5 coach should never miss the tournament even at a school without a ton of historical success. Ole Miss has resources. We aren't talking about Fresno State here.  

If you think Coach K can walk into Prairie View A&M and just make the tournament, you’re kidding yourself. 

Some of yall are just making up shit to purposely disparage Beard, and I don’t know why. 

• Hook 'Em 2

6 minutes ago, Js1 said:

PVA&M is not a P5 school in the richest conference in America. Not a good comparison 

Neither is the current “argument” about Mississippi. They’ve made the tournament 5 times total or some shit like that. That’s one of the hardest jobs in America. Vanderbilt is a better basketball job than Mississippi.

2 hours ago, HookEm said:

• Matthew Murrell - SR
  • Jaemyn Brakefield - SR
  • TF Caldwell - SO

Is he still recruiting short, unathletic guys that can’t shoot?

36 minutes ago, VinyVango said:

I could see beard jumping to Indiana if offered, being a Bobby knight protege

Before this season I'd agree with y'all that Beard is in contention for jobs like Indiana and Kentucky

I'm skeptical now. Do these schools really want to pay him $5 million after choking the last two seasons away as Firemans4Horn said?

I'd think he'd need a decent season at Ole Miss before bluebloods will drop the bag for him. But what do I know?!?!?

16 minutes ago, Pancho said:

Neither is the current “argument” about Mississippi. They’ve made the tournament 5 times total or some shit like that. That’s one of the hardest jobs in America. Vanderbilt is a better basketball job than Mississippi.

If you think Fresno and El Paso are shitholes wait till you see Oxford.  

Maybe the lesson here is that sometimes good coaches have bad seasons, and conversely, sometimes bad coaches have good seasons.  Maybe screaming past each other isn't the most productive discussion.

I know, I know, crazy talk.  Carry on.

• Hook 'Em 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Pancho said:

If you think Coach K can walk into Prairie View A&M and just make the tournament, you’re kidding yourself. 

Some of yall are just making up shit to purposely disparage Beard, and I don’t know why. 

Because he's a piece of shit, thread title should have told you.

Edited by HtownHorn
  • Hook 'Em 1

7 hours ago, Js1 said:

I’m surprised, honestly 

Miller was given at least 4 seasons at IU, they don’t appear to be a knee jerk program. Not sure what their expectations were coming into this season and maybe I’m grasping (pun intended?) here but does IU want to hire an alleged abuser after going through the Knight/Reed ordeal? 

17 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

tom izzo went 15-13 at michigan state three years ago. guess that disqualifies him from being considered a top 5 coach.

Throughout this whole debate, I have never agued that Beard isn't a top-5 coach.  (Although that may be a bit generous now that his reputation has taken a hit).  The measure of success I used was not win/loss%, but simply making the tournament.  And in the year you referenced, Izzo STILL made the tourney, just as he has for the last 25+ years in a row.

My whole point is that how we judge success and failure should change in this era of NIL and the portal.  Great coaches don't need 3-4 years to turn a program around when they are turning over practically their whole team every year anyway.  Again, 70% of the Ole Miss team was brought in by Beard and most are upper classmen.  None of this is to say that Beard isn't a great coach - he is.

It is also laughable to compare Ole Miss to schools like Prairie View A&M.  Ole Miss is only a few years removed from opening a brand new, awesome $100M basketball arena.  This site ranks it the #12 arena in all of college basketball:

https://www.stadiumjourney.com/stadiums/stadium-journey-s-top-25-college-basketball-arenas-of-2023

Maybe he will turn it around next year.  Or maybe he will bolt for greener pastures.  If he leaves now, at least it will be a longer tenure than he had at UNLV.

Opening a new arena has nothing to do with bringing success when the reputation of the program is ass, my dude. 

So no, it’s not laughable when your argument was a top 5 coach should be able to win anywhere even at a school without a ton of historical success. Mississippi has no historical success. Their new arena has nothing to do with it, but now you’re trying to squeeze it into your “argument” that he *should* have done x and y if he is considered a top 5 coach. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Bah. Of course the arena plays a role in helping turn a program around. 

It shows that the administration is willing to spend big money on the program, and it helps you recruit better players.  It helps generate and maintain fan interest.  Every one of us was beyond thrilled at the combined prospect of what Chris Beard and the brand new Moody Center was going to mean for UT hoops. 

Of course, a great arena isn't a golden ticket that will guarantee success, but Chris Beard should be able to leverage it better than any other coach that I know of.  

But you're right. There is no difference between Ole Miss and Prairie View, who plays in the shitty SWAC, in a shitty stadium built in the 60s in front of <checks notes> an average of 1,053 fans.  🙄

You don't see Prairie View opening a new $100M stadium. 

Mississippi’s arena opened in 2016. How many NCAA tournament games have they won since then with how many coaches? 

Did Nebraska become a basketball power when Pinnacle was built?

Did Auburn get turned around after their new arena opened?

Your logic is flawed. Accept that and move the fuck on. 

• Hook 'Em 1

I will personally be very happy when Ole Miss misses the tournament. I still think he's done a good job in year one, and I bet the Ole Miss fans think so, too. For one thing, the excitement on campus for the basketball team is much higher than it's been previously. 

Still, my dream is that he fails to make the tournament every year and is fired from his job. I don't think that's going to happen, but that's the dream. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Beard came to Ole Miss with a lot of baggage. I bet that didn't make it easy for him to build the roster and the staff in year 1 at a program where there was not much basketball history. If he truly is a top 5 coach, he should be able to turn it around mext year with his baggage farther in the rear view mirror. Of course, it's also possible that his psyche has been permanently damaged by what happened at Texas and he may never be the same coach again.

we know that chris beard is a top tier coach. his resume stacks up with just about anyone ever through this point in his career. this ole miss team being this bad says nothing about beard as a coach, and everything about how shitty this program/job is. it may be the worst program in all of the power conferences. i imagine he’s itching to gtfo as soon as possible.

1 hour ago, Js1 said:

Currently down 23-5 to aggy at home. Someone poke them with a stick to see if they’re still alive 

You can’t blame the coach for being down 30 to a bad team. It’s the programs fault.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 5

16 minutes ago, Hank_Hill said:

You can’t blame the coach for being down 30 to a bad team. It’s the programs fault.

it’s funny that you think you’re being clever here. you absolutely blame it on the program when you’re in year one of what is not even a rebuild, as there’s nothing predating chris beard that’s even been built in the first place. think of ole miss as the chernobyl site of college hoops. this is how it goes in year one of gigs like this. you lose, a lot, and in embarrassing fashion. the crowd of folks who run in here to make these cute little posts like this (all posters who contribute nothing to any actual basketball discussion around here) just looks petty and dumb.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, shadow_operative said:

we know that chris beard is a top tier coach. his resume stacks up with just about anyone ever through this point in his career. this ole miss team being this bad says nothing about beard as a coach, and everything about how shitty this program/job is. it may be the worst program in all of the power conferences. i imagine he’s itching to gtfo as soon as possible.

He’s already got a recipe for an exit if he wants it. Just take home an Oxford throw-down road whore, choke her and bite her for a bit and then let her drunkenly call the cops. He’ll be in Bloomington by mid-December. 

• Haha 9