2018 MLB Thread

Netzer

Aaron Myette was ran after two inside pitches to Mora in ‘02, didn’t hit him though. Van Poppell came in & walked him, so Myette got charged with the 4-pitch walk. Rangers damn near threw a no-no after that, Benoit went 7, gave up a leadoff triple in 9th. 

https://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/BAL/BAL200209030.shtml

Lackey:

ARLINGTON, Texas -- Angels starter John Lackey was gone only two pitches into his season debut.

After Lackey's first pitch sailed behind Ian Kinsler's head and the next one hit Texas' leadoff batter in the ribs, home plate umpire Bob Davidson immediately ejected the pitcher.

"It was interesting," Kinsler said after the AL West-leading Rangers won 5-3 for their sixth straight victory Saturday.

"I haven't pitched in six weeks. I was obviously trying to come in on him but there was no intention to hit him or to come in behind him," Lackey said. "It was definitely surprising."

Lackey, activated from the disabled list to make the start, had a 1-0 lead after Chone Figgins walked on four pitches to start the game and scored on a wild pitch by Vicente Padilla (3-2).

Kinsler jogged to first base without incident after getting plunked.

But Davidson tossed Lackey, who raised his arms and stood near the mound with a look of disbelief on his face. Manager Mike Scioscia argued at length with Davidson and crew chief Tim Tschida to no avail, though he wasn't ejected.

"He hasn't thrown in two months," Scoscia said. "It looked bad, but John's trying to make sure the two-seamer is in."

Still, Tschida said the second pitch was too much for umpires to overlook after Friday night, when Kinsler homered twice.

"When the first pitch of the next game to that hitter is behind him, that's a red flag," Tschida said. "We gave [Lackey] the benefit of the doubt because maybe he was a little amped up coming off the DL. When he hit him with the second pitch, that was something else."

Edited by Beau Vine
  • Like 1

ok, so wait.  acuna only had one pa, got hit, then exited in the next inning, so the streak is still alive.  i understand what they're saying.  but if he had stayed in the game and had 3 at bats after the hbp, then the streak would've been dead?  even though his "lead-off" at bat didn't really "count"?  am i following this crazy circular logic properly?  if he had walked in the at bat and pulled his hammy on the way to 1st, would this still be the case?

he played in the game.  he's in the box score.  the game didn't get rained out or ppd in any way.  if it was a hitting streak, my understanding is that this would've snapped it.  why should a lead off homer streak be any different?

i'm rooting for him, but this is weird. 

Pretty sure if all of your PAs result in a BB/HBP/CI, etc (i.e. no official AB) you’re streak (hitting or otherwise) doesn’t end

Edit:

Yep.

“Consecutive Hitting Streaks: A consecutive hitting streak shall not be terminated if the plate appearance results in a base on balls, hit batsman, defensive interference or a sacrifice bunt. A sacrifice fly shall terminate the streak.

Consecutive-Game Hitting Streaks: A consecutive-game hitting streak shall not be terminated if all the player's plate appearances (one or more) results in a base on balls, hit batsman, defensive interference or a sacrifice bunt. The streak shall terminate if the player has a sacrifice fly and no hit. The player's individual consecutive-game hitting streak shall be determined by the consecutive games in which the player appears and is not determined by his club's games.”

http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/official_info/about_mlb/rules_regulations.jsp

Took me a second.

I don't like the new rule.  You should have to go through the motions.  I've seen some wild pitches on IBB's, so anything can happen.

"But it speeds up the game!"  By what, 45 seconds?  Maybe you shouldn't have to run around the bases if you hit a home run.  Just get the next batter up.

• Like 1

This is brilliant:

Bauers was trying trying to go 1st to 3rd on a hit.  He obviously couldn't make it to third... so he just headed toward home, got in a run down, and the hitter was able to advance to third.  Because he never touched home, the Yankees couldn't appeal that he missed third. 

If Andujar had just let Bauers run home, the hitter would have had to hold at 2nd, and the Yankees could have appealed that Bauers missed third and would gotten the out that way.

Seems like the Yankees could have argued that he should have been immediately called out for running out of the base path:

MLB Rule (b) (7.08) Retiring a Runner.  Any runner is out when: (1) He runs more than three feet away from his base path to avoid being tagged unless his action is to avoid interference with a fielder fielding a batted ball. A runner’s base path is established when the tag attempt occurs and is a straight line from the runner to the base he is attempting to reach safely;