2018 MLB Thread

Netzer

Rosenthal at theathletic on Joe Simpson again being a simpering Sooner moron (pardon the redundancy):

On July 30, Braves broadcaster Joe Simpson issued an apology to Chase Utley, the Los Angeles Dodgers and their fans after saying the Dodgers looked “very unprofessional” for wearing T-shirts and shorts during batting practice.

Less than two weeks later Simpson created another stir, with Washington Nationals general manager Mike Rizzo confronting the TV analyst Tuesday night for questioning the age of Nationals rookie left fielder Juan Soto during the first game of a split doubleheader.

“He is … if he’s 19, he has certainly got his man growth,” Simpson said during the Fox Sports South broadcast. “He is big and strong.”

Rizzo, after learning of the remarks, said he spoke with Simpson between games. Soto was born Oct. 25, 1998, in Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic, and his age had not previously been questioned.

“I had a definite reaction,” Rizzo said. “I handled it face to face, privately with him. I believe he understood my stance on his comments.”

Soto went 2-for-2 with three walks in the first game, an 8-3 Nationals victory. Simpson clarified his statements after Soto hit an opposite-field home run on an 0-2 pitch with one out in the first inning of the second game.

“If you were with us in Game 1, you might have heard me make a comment off the top of my head about if he’s 19,” Simpson said on the broadcast. “Well, he is. He’s bonafide 19. And he is a full-grown man. He is strong. And he is one heck of a player. You might well just write his name in on the Rookie of the Year award right now.”

Simpson, asked by The Athletic’s David O’Brien, about his discussion with Rizzo, said, “It’s cool. I’ve already squared it away.”

Simpson’s issue with the Dodgers occurred after he criticized them on the air for their batting-practice attire before a game on July 28.

“They looked very unprofessional,” said Simpson, a former outfielder and first baseman who played for the Dodgers from 1975 to ’78. “If I were a Dodger fan, I’d be embarrassed and I don’t know how Major League Baseball allows such attire when the gates are open.”

Utley, however, had worn a K Cancer T-shirt created by former reliever Jason Motte’s foundation, which provides comfort and care to those affected by the disease. Simpson expressed remorse when he spoke to Utley the next day, a Braves official told reporters, then issued his statement the day after that.

“I apologize to Chase Utley, the entire Dodgers’ organization and their fans for comments I made during Saturday’s broadcast,” Simpson said in the statement. “I’ve always held the organization in the highest light and my comments certainly didn’t reflect that. I am sorry to everyone affected.”

Simpson, in his 27th season as a Braves broadcaster, entered the team’s Hall of Fame last January.

Speaking of announcers... worth a review.

http://awfulannouncing.com/mlb/2018-local-mlb-broadcaster-rankings.html

Watching most Astros games on MLB.TV, I try and listen to at least one game a series with the opponent’s announcers.

Gotta agree with most of the top although there a few crews I haven’t heard and will have to check out

• Like 1

6 hours ago, UTexasFight said:

Watching most Astros games on MLB.TV, I try and listen to at least one game a series with the opponent’s announcers.

Gotta agree with most of the top although there a few crews I haven’t heard and will have to check out

I don't think I've listened to the Mets crew this season, but the rest of the top 10 is pretty well deserved.  I'm glad to see the Padres announcers get their recognition because they do a great job.  Even though their team sucks, watching their games can still be entertaining.

2 hours ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

I don't think I've listened to the Mets crew this season, but the rest of the top 10 is pretty well deserved.  I'm glad to see the Padres announcers get their recognition because they do a great job.  Even though their team sucks, watching their games can still be entertaining.

Minus the Red Sox. Dave O’Brien is great but the color guy is eh. 

10 hours ago, UTexasFight said:

Thanks for this, had not seen this year's version.  Dan Orsillo is a joy, and gets those infectious giggles so easily over the mundane.  Will often tune into a Padres game just to check him out.   Haven't watched the Mets this year, but enjoyed their booth in the past.   In the Top 10 I've also watched the Cubs broadcast, Brewers, Red Sox, and Orioles.  Orioles one I remember being entertaining as they were just so damn upset about things.  I can relate.

Will have to check out more of the Top 10, and wouldn't mind the Surly crew weighing in with their favorites of this year.  (Seems all years post Vin Scully will be weighted differently)

10 hours ago, UTexasFight said:

As someone who watches mostly Cubs games, why does it seem like most of the teams have a list of 4+ announcers?  Do they rotate announcers depending on the game or are all of them announcing every game?

I can't stand Remy.  He is soooooo unfuckingprepared for every game.  He knows nothing about the other team.

Other stuff I disagree with on that list...

1.  The Braves should be near the bottom.  I think Drew Goodman of the Rockies is the only worse PBP guy than Caray, non-Harrelson division.

2.  Reds should be lower.  Jeff Brantley is gawdawful.

3.  Astros should be lower.  I can't stand Blum, but somehow he's not as bad as Nitkowski.  The state of Texas has the worst baseball announcers in the country.

4.  I don't get the Kuip/Kruk adoration.  Not saying they're bad, but I don't see how they're best.

5.  What's with the hatred of the Nats' announcers?

6.  Twins/Cubs/Brewers/DBacks should be higher.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

I can't stand Remy.  He is soooooo unfuckingprepared for every game.  He knows nothing about the other team.

1.  The Braves should be near the bottom.  I think Drew Goodman of the Rockies is the only worse PBP guy than Caray, non-Harrelson division.

3.  Astros should be lower.  I can't stand Blum, but somehow he's not as bad as Nitkowski.  The state of Texas has the worst baseball announcers in the country.

4.  I don't get the Kuip/Kruk adoration.  Not saying they're bad, but I don't see how they're best.

Josh Lewin, I miss you so.

Kuip and Kruk are the best, I'll fight you. 

13 minutes ago, CBT said:

Josh Lewin, I miss you so.

Kuip and Kruk are the best, I'll fight you. 

1.  Yep.  He was great, and he could actually handle Grieve.  Everyone else who announces with Grieve gets sucked into his old-school idiocy.

2.  Again, I don't think they suck.  They might make my top 5.  But I don't get how people think they're better than Thorne/Palmer or Cohen/Darling/I'mKeithHernandez.

Remy will always have the "here comes the pizza"  or "lost tooth" moments for me.  Of course, those were with Orsillo.  I have to be careful. I can go down the rabbit hole of youtube on those two.

Agreed that the Nats didn't seem worthy of the bottom, but again, there's some in the top I haven't watched this year.

30 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

The Astros should have sent Giles to the Cubs in return for Deshaies.  Thieving sons of bitches.

Edited by kevwun
  • Like 3

44 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

Living in the DC area, I end up seeing quite a few Nats games and I agree with the poll.  They are too biased for the home team for my tastes.  I generally agree with the article I post below, although I would note that it gets more annoying the more you watch.

Sporting News Review of Nationals Broadcast from 2014

Mendoza gets talked about constantly because she's a chick. she's fine. she's better than most of the men out there in the booth, but because she's a chick it's like nobody knows how to feel about her. if she gave the exact same performance as a man she'd never be talked about.
She's infinitely better than A-Rod which isn't saying anything though. He's one of the worst there is.

The Rangers aren't alone in that, in case you didn't know.  Felix has been declining badly for the last three and a half years.  As a Mariners fan, the King was such a great reason to tune in for so many years when just about nothing else was going right.  I could go on and on really, about Felix, but this isn't the Mariners thread. To see him with no life in his pitches just hurts, because he gave us so many reasons to tune in over the years.   

I'm glad that he and Beltre got to have one last fun moment together.  But otherwise, knowing that could very well be his last start, that one hurt for me, regardless of the opponent.

3 hours ago, UTexasFight said:

Yeah Remy is annoying

1 hour ago, Beau Vine said:

Well, Jerry Remy's cancer returned, so he won't annoy for much longer... [sorry]

Although Eck is a lot of fun in the booth, so I suppose he'll get more work soon.

Funny how the Sox used to have Orsillo in the booth, then NESN drove him off, and now he's a prime reason the Padres have such a good commentary team.

Edited by dbecks
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Texas Wahoo said:

Living in the DC area, I end up seeing quite a few Nats games and I agree with the poll.  They are too biased for the home team for my tastes.  I generally agree with the article I post below, although I would note that it gets more annoying the more you watch.

Sporting News Review of Nationals Broadcast from 2014

Yeah, bias is a bad thing.  Since Vin retired, there are literally no home announcers who are even close to being unbiased.  

The worst are Harrelson and Goodman (Colorado), who are both whiny little snits who act like the umpires are out to get their teams. 

But even Dave Sims (Seattle) is badly biased (*), but he rated really high.  I've watched the Nats a bunch this season, and I don't notice them being worse than Sims.  (And I like Sims.)

(*) Badly biased = If it's an exciting play, you call it that way, no matter who it benefits.  The guys who will call an opponent home run in practically a whisper piss me off.  Harrelson invented that.  Sims does that.  You don't have to get all excited, but at least raise your voice if an opponent hits a 450-foot bomb.

16 minutes ago, dbecks said:

Well, Jerry Remy's cancer returned, so he won't annoy for much longer... [sorry]

Although Eck is a lot of fun in the booth, so I suppose he'll get more work soon.

Funny how the Sox used to have Orsillo in the booth, then NESN drove him off, and now he's a prime reason the Padres have such a good commentary team.

I will never understand why the Red Sox dumped Orsillo.  Just inexplicable.

Eck can be fun, but he reminds me of Dave Lapham (face rape) of Big 12 football days of yore.  When he doesn't understand something, he thinks it out..... out loud.  

The Rangers aren't alone in that, in case you didn't know.  Felix has been declining badly for the last three and a half years.  As a Mariners fan, the King was such a great reason to tune in for so many years when just about nothing else was going right.  I could go on and on really, about Felix, but this isn't the Mariners thread. To see him with no life in his pitches just hurts, because he gave us so many reasons to tune in over the years.   
I'm glad that he and Beltre got to have one last fun moment together.  But otherwise, knowing that could very well be his last start, that one hurt for me, regardless of the opponent.

Uh no. Don't go running off yet. Astros need to spank that ass Sunday

Dbacks do have a great crew.  Another thing I love about having the mlb at bat app is being able to go back, watch any game and listen to either team’s tv or radio announcers.

Anyone with a Roku TV figure out how to change the audio source on MLB.TV while watching love?
Menu shows there to be the option, but I can never get it to pull up the other sources

Yoan is having a tough time. 

Moncada went 0-for-5 with four strikeouts in Tuesday's 4-3 extra-innings loss to the Yankees.

Spin: Moncada has whiffed 20 times in his last 32 at-bats, including seven times in his last nine. He leads all of baseball with 161 strikeouts and has a 34.5 strikeout percentage. "At some point you hit a point of frustration where you say, 'I have to start swinging at pitches,'' manager Rick Renteria told the Chicago Sun-Times' Daryl Van Schouwen. "I think he's finally reached that point.'' Moncada's average has dropped to .217.