2018 MLB Thread

Netzer

I was late turning on the game... but fuck Luis Severino.  That’s some bullshit to pull on his first pitch of the game.

(And the immediate ump show and tossing Alex Cora eight seconds later is almost just as bad.)

Edited by dbecks
Ump show

1 hour ago, dbecks said:

I was late turning on the game... but fuck Luis Severino.  That’s some bullshit to pull on his first pitch of the game.

(And the immediate ump show and tossing Alex Cora eight seconds later is almost just as bad.)

i didn't see it, what happened?  he throw at mookie?  he's been very un-severino-like lately.

13 minutes ago, TonyTexas said:

Hello Helo?

I’m still alive. I’m laying on my bed, staring at the ceiling. Phone in hand. 

About to head out for the night to try and forget today and the the fact that Aaron SuckMyCock Boone is a manager for the Yankees. They get by on talent alone but here in the dog days that only gets you so far. Fucking lackadaisical effort, a myriad of mental mistakes and a quitting attitude for the whole team. Say what you will about Girardi but none of that shit flew with him in charge. But hey the players like Boone more cause he’s nicer and a bro so it’s ok. I guess Nevin’s yelling the other day didn’t help cause I’m seeing the same shit out there. And when did goddamn Steve Pearce turn into a Babe Ruth/Barry Bonds/Jesus Christ lovechild. Motherfuck. /rantover

• Haha 1

Just noticed the Sunday night game is Yankees Red Sox over Astros Dodgers.  As someone that is outside the Houston market that is so fucking disappointing.  

Yep. NY/Bos on FS1 tomorrow as well. Idiotic that the rematch of one of the greatest WS in history isn’t getting a national game. Not like a Yankee/Red Sox game is a rare occurrence.

48 minutes ago, TonyTexas said:

Yep. NY/Bos on FS1 tomorrow as well. Idiotic that the rematch of one of the greatest WS in history isn’t getting a national game. Not like a Yankee/Red Sox game is a rare occurrence.

I get what you are saying but the Red Sox - Yankees rivalry is the biggest in the sport.  They have the best and third best records this year.  They are 2 of the top 5 markets/fan bases in the sport.  It simply draws more eyeballs than Dodgers Astros.

I get what you are saying but the Red Sox - Yankees rivalry is the biggest in the sport.  They have the best and third best records this year.  They are 2 of the top 5 markets/fan bases in the sport.  It simply draws more eyeballs than Dodgers Astros.

Because all of the eyeballs are in the Northeast. Last year’s WS had the 3rd highest rating in the last dozen years. This year’s matchup features two 1st place teams that seldom play each other. Bos/NY play each other 18 times every year.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, TonyTexas said:

Because all of the eyeballs are in the Northeast. Last year’s WS had the 3rd highest rating in the last dozen years. This year’s matchup features two 1st place teams that seldom play each other.

Boston and New York were both top 10 in tv ratings last year.  Houston and LA were bottom 10.  Money will always prevail in this.

Edited by txhorns

6 minutes ago, TonyTexas said:

Lots of markets that don’t give a shit about the Yankees and Boston. Like most of them.

Thats actually a big problem across all of baseball.  Fans are very regionally minded so don't watch or even know about what is going on outside their region.

2 hours ago, txhorns said:

Boston and New York were both top 10 in tv ratings last year.  Houston and LA were bottom 10.  Money will always prevail in this.

i don't think there's anyone really arguing this.  but espn sunday night baseball is their mlb showcase every week.  this is when they should be working with mlb to get teams and players on the national radar that maybe could transcend the regional bias baseball is experiencing.  this is the game every week that casual fans might tune in and check out.

the sox and yankees are not hard to find on tv, and they play 20x a year (and probably in the playoffs will again).  every single weekend series of theirs has a sunday night espn game.  we've seen it before.  getting more teams and players and interesting matchups in a showcase game (the only time all week that one game has its own time-slot) would be better for the health of the sport.  that's how the nfl does it (speaking about sunday/monday night football, not the thursday night crapfest).

• Like 2

this year espn should be rotating the following teams regularly: astros, red sox, yankees, dodgers, cubs, indians 

with exceptions for times when there are playoff implications for good teams that aren't as big as those teams, eg if arizona played milwaukee on a sunday.

10 hours ago, Vic Mackey said:

Still have the Rangers on your mind. Very Aggy like.

False. Aggy has never won a championship trophy.

I mean other than golf, track & field, and womens athletics

Edited by mycox

On 8/2/2018 at 7:35 PM, UTexasFight said:

Ahem, the A's won their season series with the Sox, Brian.

Also I had no idea Safeco in Seattle turned into Rogers Centre West when the Jays came to town. Apparently all the Vancouver fans drive down and take over the stadium.

Edited by texifornia

4 hours ago, Underdog said:

Didn’t ESPN do Cubs/Cards the last 2 Sundays or 2 Sundays in a row? Yeah, Sox/Yanks are overkill, especially when the games are covered on MLBN, FSI and ESPN every GD Season.  It’s equivalent on Duke/UNC. 

Cubs/Cards have been Sunday night three times but they were each 5-6 weeks apart.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, txhorns said:

Thats actually a big problem across all of baseball.  Fans are very regionally minded so don't watch or even know about what is going on outside their region.

WTF are you talking about, fans ALWAYS pay more attention regionally since that it is usually their teams competition. 

Order of caring for fans for all sports

1. your team

2. your divisions

3. everyone else

7 minutes ago, Smax said:

WTF are you talking about, fans ALWAYS pay more attention regionally since that it is usually their teams competition. 

Order of caring for fans for all sports

1. your team

2. your divisions

3. everyone else

There are different level of regionality, slorch.

The NFL is not very regional.  Everyone watches the NFL playoffs.  Most NFL fans watch MNF.

MLB and NHL are very regional.  The vast majority of fans don't watch unless their teams are playing.

NBA seems to be in the middle, I'm guessing because it's much more of a star-driven league than MLB or NHL.

• Like 1

Slorch???

The NFL is not a fair comparison to either the NBA or MLB simply due to the number of games played

I just don't think most fans of all the big 3 care too much about other teams during the regular season and why should they?  To which my point was aimed at, why should I a born and raised Houstonian, astro fan give a shit about watching the red sox and the yankees. Any of the big 3 games is a 3-4 hour commitment to watch and if your team plays that day, how many people can set out 6-8 hours on a day to sit in front of the tv? Weekends are bit different and TBH that is part of the reason why I do not watch multiple games (nfl and cfb), Im too ADD sit on my ass that long .

42 minutes ago, Smax said:

I just don't think most fans of all the big 3 care too much about other teams during the regular season and why should they?  To which my point was aimed at, why should I a born and raised Houstonian, astro fan give a shit about watching the red sox and the yankees. 

Gee, I dunno, maybe because you love baseball, and they have the best rivalry in MLB, and they're two of the best teams in MLB this year?

I'm currently watching them play for the third day in a row, and I was born in fucking Louisiana and raised in DFW.

This I'm-only-going-to-watch-my-team stuff means you aren't much of a baseball fan.   MLB is fucking great this season.  Sorry you aren't watching.  

Edited by Beau Vine
  • Like 2

20 hours ago, Colonel Sanders said:

Just noticed the Sunday night game is Yankees Red Sox over Astros Dodgers.  As someone that is outside the Houston market that is so fucking disappointing.  

As a Sox fan, I (almost) agree with you... the novelty of having last year's WS rematch is too rare to pass up.  But maybe the time zone discrepancy and the length of games (and advertising $) makes a difference for ESPN.  (Although Friday's Sox-Yanks game was 2:15... the shortest between those two since 1994!)

But most importantly, since it's David Price vs the Yankees on ESPN Sunday Night, I'm certain he's gonna get shellacked.  So I don't like that.

34 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

Gee, I dunno, maybe because you love baseball, and they have the best rivalry in MLB, and they're two of the best teams in MLB this year?

I'm currently watching them play for the third day in a row, and I was born in fucking Louisiana and raised in DFW.

This I'm-only-going-to-watch-my-team stuff means you aren't much of a baseball fan.   MLB is fucking great this season.  Sorry you aren't watching.  

There is no doubt Im not super sports fan, as I already mentioned I don't have the time plop my ass in front of the tv for 6 hours each day, I'll watch my team and catch the highlights of others

7 minutes ago, spystud13 said:

That 2-2 pitch to Gleyber could not possibly have been more of a strike. 

Yes, most definitely, re: Gardner as well. Was hoping to save the ump gifts for games the Sox needed, but here we are...

Edited by dbecks