2023 Texas High School Football

Hiphopopotamos

Top games of a very shitty slate this week:

Westlake @ LT  20-14 Westlake

PSJAN @ Vela @Helobious, what do you think?  For the record, Helo nailed this one -- 30-0 Alphabets

Waco Connally @ Brownwood 28-24 WC

FB Marshall @ PNG 7-0 PNG

Silsbee @ WOS  20-6 Silsbee

Longview @ Lancaster  52-35 Lobos

Frisco Lone Star-Wakeland  35-31 LS

SV @ NB Canyon 42-21 SV

Randle @ Lake Creek 52-27 LC

Albany @ Comanche 31-13 Albany

Also:

Duncanville 56 Cedar Hill 0

Midland Leegacy 39 Judson 31

Falfurrias 32 San Antonio YMLA 26  OT

Laredo United 36 Harlingen 35

Parish Episcopal 38 China Spring 23

Wimberley 41 Lampasas 20

Lorena 43 Yoe 41

Sinton 47 LaVernia 42

Stephenville 21 Roho 20

Gilmer 82 Some new Prosper school 62

Edited by Beau Vine
  • Hook 'Em 4

9 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

PSJAN @ Vela @Helobious, what do you think?  For the record, Helo nailed this one -- 30-0 Alphabets

SV @ NB Canyon 42-21 SV

Randle @ Lake Creek

Also:

Wimberley 41 Lampasas 20

Lorena 43 Yoe 41

Sinton 47 LaVernia 42

Stephenville 21 Roho 20

What’s wrong with Liberty Hill this year? Lost to Tivy tonight.

Edited by Helobious

1 hour ago, Beau Vine said:

SV @ NB Canyon 42-21 SV

Randle @ Lake Creek

Also:

Wimberley 41 Lampasas 20

Lorena 43 Yoe 41

Sinton 47 LaVernia 42

Stephenville 21 Roho 20

Who the hell is YMLA? Never heard of them.

1 hour ago, Helobious said:

Harlingen loses heartbreaker to future UTRGV QB Atzel Chavez and Laredo United 36-35. 

SA Jay beats Stevens and is 5-0 for the first time since the 1990s I would imagine. 

Steele beats Birmingham (CA) 49-7. What the fuck. 

Weslaco beat Laredo United South 28-17, sets up big meeting with the Cardinals next week.

Thoughts?

34 minutes ago, TheBryMan81 said:

Weslaco beat Laredo United South 28-17, sets up big meeting with the Cardinals next week.

Thoughts?

*2 weeks, bye next week. I think the panthers defense makes the difference and they win. We have some electric receivers but no one that can get them the ball. Our soph RB Huerta is coming into his own but he can’t carry the team like Bell could the past couple years. 

39 minutes ago, SHOOTER12 said:

Who the hell is YMLA? Never heard of them.

Magnet school in SAISD, located at the former Wheatley middle school. They started a team up a couple years ago and actually got a good group of sam houston kids to come out, so I thought they’d be a bit of a force down in 4A. I was wrong and Beau reminds me once a week. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Drool 1

1 hour ago, Helobious said:

*2 weeks, bye next week. I think the panthers defense makes the difference and they win. We have some electric receivers but no one that can get them the ball. Our soph RB Huerta is coming into his own but he can’t carry the team like Bell could the past couple years. 

Magnet school in SAISD, located at the former Wheatley middle school. They started a team up a couple years ago and actually got a good group of sam houston kids to come out, so I thought they’d be a bit of a force down in 4A. I was wrong and Beau reminds me once a week. 

Thanks...

10 hours ago, BERT said:

Longview 52, Lancaster 35 with 2min left. Apparently the first half was full of fumbles and penalties for Longview. GF says they’re playing Lancaster and the refs tonight. Who knows if that’s true or not. 

Watched it on YouTube. The refs were some of the worst I’ve seen for HS. Really rough.  

11 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

woodlands and per a healthy sample size, I can verify they’re bat shit crazy 

Wife would ask me to go shopping with her at the mall when we first moved there.  I soon discovered the play was to buy an ice cream and sit on a bench and watch all of the augmentation/ modifications walk by.

Harlingen loses heartbreaker to future UTRGV QB Atzel Chavez and Laredo United 36-35. 
SA Jay beats Stevens and is 5-0 for the first time since the 1990s I would imagine. 
Steele beats Birmingham (CA) 49-7. What the fuck. 

I think I’ve said it on here before, but I’ll say it again, because he deserves a double post. SA Jay’s HC is one of the most genuine and nice HC that I’ve ever come across during my years of officiating TXHS FB! Best of luck to that man’s team in 2023. He’s truly a winner and leader of men, both on and off the field.

Hook’em!!!
  • Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, msucolt45 said:

I think I’ve said it on here before, but I’ll say it again, because he deserves a double post. SA Jay’s HC is one of the most genuine and nice HC that I’ve ever come across during my years of officiating TXHS FB! Best of luck to that man’s team in 2023. He’s truly a winner and leader of men, both on and off the field.

Hook’em!!!

His son Jackson Gutierrez is a 3 year starter at QB for them. I believe he’s committed to Navy. 

Despite consecutive losses, Anderson receiver Ed Small continues to impress. The future University of Texas baseball (and possible football) player was nearly unstoppable in Friday's loss to Johnson, he caught 13 passes for 175 passes. For the season he has 40 catches for 621 yards and 10 touchdowns.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

So happy we beat Lake Travis. Now at my client's yearly XMAS party, I get to talk crap with all the LT dads there. THey're kind of the Agiies of HS football, as they 

22 hours ago, Beau Vine said:

Despite consecutive losses, Anderson receiver Ed Small continues to impress. The future University of Texas baseball (and possible football) player was nearly unstoppable in Friday's loss to Johnson, he caught 13 passes for 175 passes. For the season he has 40 catches for 621 yards and 10 touchdowns.

Ed Small is the real deal. He torched our Westlake secondary for two home-run balls TWICE last year. Dude can ball. 

SOOOOOOOO MANY BYES THIS WEEK!  :(

Games of the week:

Stephenville @ Brownwood

Lewisville @ Coppell

North Shore @ CE King

PNG @ Texas City

Katy-Katy Jordan

Waco LV @ Yoakum

Jasper @ Hamshire-Fannett

Madisonville @ Columbus

Edna @ CC London

East Bernard @ Tidehaven  How is Tidehaven ranked #3 in 3AD2?  Gunter, Canadian, Tidehaven, Wall --> one of these things is not like the other.  OK, they haven't allowed a point this season, but still...

Wall @ Mason

Refugio @ 3R

Windthorst @ Bremond

• Hook 'Em 1

Was watching Brennan HS's broadcast of last year's Westlake vs Brennan playoff game last night. @Helobious, you might enjoy this. 

We traditionally face a lot of home cooking each year in playoff games in San Antonio, but apparently, Brennan offense was given 51 plays to get 10 yards! That rarely happens:

51-10.png 

Then, in the 4th quarter, we faced an almost insurmountable 3rd down and 151 yards needed for a 1st down!

3-151.png

Later, the broadcast crew gave up trying to keep up with the score and decided 41 points was enough for us and didn't add our last two TD's to the point total, haha.

• Haha 2
  • Drool 1

TXHS FB starts tonight for many schools, big District but few stadiums. Good luck to all involved- band, cheer, coaches and spouses, and the players the most. Thursday Night Lights for a lot of teams, even though Friday “is the night” in Texas.

I’ve even officiated multiple games on Saturday. Best of luck to all involved.

Hook’em!!!

• Hook 'Em 2

Aledo may have more of a challenge this week than originally thought. They are playing @ The Colony. Not the easiest of road trips. We make the drive almost weekly because of kids sports.

The Colony hung with Burleson Centennial for three quarters and then beat Denton Ryan last week.

• Hook 'Em 1

Westlake up 34-0 on del valle at half

del valle hasn’t made it past their 30 yard line, no first downs

one play of the entire first half was on westlake’s side of the field. Del valle punted and Westlake returned it for a touchdown but got called for a block in the back, placing it on the Westlake 45. They scored 3 plays later. 

15 minutes ago, blacklab said:

one play of the entire first half was on westlake’s side of the field. Del valle punted and Westlake returned it for a touchdown but got called for a block in the back, placing it on the Westlake 45. They scored 3 plays later. 

Worst offensive performance since Austin High vs Westlake in 1994.

@Huckleberry?

56 minutes ago, blacklab said:

Was it Del Valle or Manor that got explosive student growth and some good transfers and was supposed to be the next Austin power a few years ago? That turned out well 

Games of the week:

Stephenville @ Brownwood  27-17 Stephenville

Lewisville @ Coppell  CC 49-28. Is this finally the year for Coppell?

North Shore @ CE King  NS 42-6 

PNG @ Texas City  PNG 45-23

Katy-Katy Jordan  Tigers 42-35

Waco LV @ Yoakum  LaVega 28-21 OT

Jasper @ Hamshire-Fannett   28-18 4th

Madisonville @ Columbus  Cards 49-21

Edna @ CC London  28-0 Edna

East Bernard @ Tidehaven  How is Tidehaven ranked #3 in 3AD2?  Gunter, Canadian, Tidehaven, Wall --> one of these things is not like the other.  OK, they haven't allowed a point this season, but still...  15-7 Tides

Wall @ Mason  14-7 Punchers

Refugio @ 3R  59-7 Refugio

Windthorst @ Bremond  35-13 Bremond

• Hook 'Em 4