2023 Texas High School Football

3 hours ago, Vic Mackey said:
4 hours ago, slorch said:
You can only petition to go up an class, usually for geography reasons or from 6-man to 2A.   Sometimes schools will have a beef with their actual District and request to be moved to a different one.  That one isn’t granted very often. 

Can’t remember anyone ever getting moved down, or everyone just above  the cutoff would be making that change.

How easy is it to fudge the enrollment numbers to move down or not move up a classification?

Those numbers also drive state funding, so it's a pretty big no-no.  Not sure if that actually answers your question though.

Mart trails at half( didn't they trail last week too?)  Chilton 17, Mart 14.

I know last week Mart trailed Lovelady 20-14 before the Panthers woke up and closed it out 57-20.

11 minutes ago, chainsaw said:

Vets mounting a huge comeback, just recovered a muffed punt return in SV territory, on the 11 in SV territory looking for score. 49-0 going into the 4th qtr, 50 point quarter incoming.

lol This is scoring in garbage time against SV 3rd string defense.

9 minutes ago, F250 said:

Was this Brownsville team missing players? That was such an uncompetitive game, I figured SV would win but didn't expect it to be so lopsided.

They pulled off 3 pretty big upsets in a row to make it this far and have a first year head coach. In particular the last 2 games, their opponents thought they were in for a cakewalk and Brownsville took advantage to their credit. All 3 of their d-line starters were sophomores, sophomore MLB, they overachieved but ran out of magic. That’s just too much inexperience and lack of size to make up for. SV is no slouch either to say the least. Hope Aledo smashes them though. My region 4 loyalty ends at the northern edge of Reagan/Johnson boundary.

Edited by Helobious
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Helobious said:

They pulled off 3 pretty big upsets in a row to make it this far and have a first year head coach. In particular the last 2 games, their opponents thought they were in for a cakewalk and Brownsville took advantage to their credit. All 3 of their d-line starters were sophomores, sophomore MLB, they overachieved but ran out of magic. That’s just too much inexperience and lack of size to make up for.

Did anyone think PSJAN or Miller could have contended with the R3 champ? I know SV was not expected to beat Collie Station

2 minutes ago, Helobious said:

They pulled off 3 pretty big upsets in a row to make it this far and have a first year head coach. In particular the last 2 games, their opponents thought they were in for a cakewalk and Brownsville took advantage to their credit. All 3 of their d-line starters were sophomores, sophomore MLB, they overachieved but ran out of magic. That’s just too much inexperience and lack of size to make up for.

Cc Miller was in our district 14 years ago, and they were pitiful. I couldn’t believe they were undefeated up until last week …. Buc stadium was pretty cool though. 

4 minutes ago, chainsaw said:

Did anyone think PSJAN or Miller could have contended with the R3 champ? I know SV was not expected to beat Collie Station

It might’ve been closer, both those teams were bigger & more athletic than vets by an easy margin. SV would’ve still been the big favorite though. They both also lost to B Vets fair and square so who’s to say

Edited by Helobious

My friend that said Anna was going to win the title several months back is right. I switched over in the 2nd quarter of the Davenport game to watch them. They are ridiculously big and fast. He told me I’d be shocked to watch them play. That defense is the best I have seen from any 4A team I have watched and offensively that line is going to wear on Chapel Hill. Davenport got out-athleted, but that isn’t shocking. Next week Chapel Hill is going to face the same problem and get outcoached by quite a bit.

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, Texasborn91 said:

Cc Miller was in our district 14 years ago, and they were pitiful. I couldn’t believe they were undefeated up until last week …. Buc stadium was pretty cool though. 

Justen Evans completely changed that program when he got there a few years ago. He was smart enough to use that MetroTech or whatever magnet school to recruit kids from all over corpus to where now they’re basically a corpus all-star team. Made the state semis 2 years ago I think. Has had a few guys go FCS or FBS already, should have one or two more on this current team.

• Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, Texasborn91 said:

CC Miller got a new coach about five years ago.    He got a bunch of kids who wouldn’t even give football a chance and would go straight basketball to come out for football and sure enough they adapted well.  

Their attendance zone is largely economically disadvantaged and that’s worked against them for decades.  One thing that helped Evans rebuild the program is Miller has a magnet school designation, so they can use that to “attract” kids from other attendance zones and even other ISDs. And being Evans is the only African American coach in the Coastal Bend and his staff favors that too, he’s been able to make Miller attractive for several transfer athletes who fit that demographic.   

• Hook 'Em 2