2023 Texas High School Football

15 minutes ago, TreatyOak said:

Not sure how @Helobious can so easily pick our Chaps. North Shore is the same. Big, deep and fast. They could beat most teams on talent alone but they have good coaches and play smart. Last year they took our defense to the woodshed in a way we have not seen in six years. Comparing this WL team to last year, our OLs and DLs are pretty similar, our receivers aren’t as good, our running game is deeper and most importantly, our QB is better. But if it would be a pretty tall task to beat North Shore. We might have an emotional edge since they steamrolled us last year. I’m picking NS but I am the eternal pessimist. 

It should be a good game. Westlake has a lot more size and talent (easily more FBS offers on the roster than NS), but NS is still decently coached and won’t back down. Both programs are very familiar with each other, and it’ll be a 7-10 point Westlake win imo. Kay made NS what they are, and he’s gone. They’ll always have the talent but you’ll see them fade into obscurity over the next few years, and I don’t see them going back to state for a long time. Same will be true when Samples leaves Duncanville. Hats off to both those coaches though because they created true juggernauts for a few seasons there. 

I do think Duncanville waxes Westlake in the title game, and Desoto would do the same. Literally the only two schools in the state that’re all of bigger, more talented, and faster than Westlake. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, TreatyOak said:

Not sure how @Helobious can so easily pick our Chaps. North Shore is the same. Big, deep and fast. They could beat most teams on talent alone but they have good coaches and play smart. Last year they took our defense to the woodshed in a way we have not seen in six years. Comparing this WL team to last year, our OLs and DLs are pretty similar, our receivers aren’t as good, our running game is deeper and most importantly, our QB is better. But if it would be a pretty tall task to beat North Shore. We might have an emotional edge since they steamrolled us last year. I’m picking NS but I am the eternal pessimist. 

67456bca-dbb7-4634-91ee-f1f4272f04d8_text.gif.7bc7bb0ebe812acb620ddc56c0fec135.gif

• Hook 'Em 1

I enjoy some Oak Cliff hole in the wall spots. Rudy's Chicken and Floyd's Catfish for starters. I dated a girl in South Oak Cliff area over a decade ago and learned a lot about that area. Before then, I only really knew about Pleasant Grove area in the southern sector. That's where a good amount of my friends are from. 

66938d7c2de01463b51daf69f6ae7d26.jpg
Got my gear after they won two years ago. Best friend lived in Oak Cliff and we would go to random games for the hell of it.

She moved to Portland so I also bought her one for Xmas. Had to pick them up at the school. That was fun.
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

Any word on possible TV coverage for Westlake/North Shore on Saturday?  I see it's at 3:00p-CST, yes?  

2023-2024 Post Season Video Broadcast Information
Live or tape-delayed video broadcasts of a postseason contest require approval from the UIL. The UIL retains all broadcast rights to postseason contests and has granted rights to its broadcast partners. The UIL’s broadcast partners have first rights to all postseason activities and if a broadcast partner selects a contest for broadcast, in most cases an additional broadcast cannot be approved.
For 2023-2024, the UIL’s broadcast partners are the NFHS Network and Bally Sports Southwest.
Please see below for more information. Any questions should be directed to the UIL Media Department: pr@uiltexas.org

https://www.uiltexas.org/media/info/2023-2024-post-season-video-broadcast-information

On the recommendation of a family friend I watched the end of this game and did not regret it. It would be an ESPN instant classic. I added a time stamp from where it gets good. The camera crew is surprisingly good, as are the announcers, although they are completely wrong about this first play probably because they didn't see the ball intended for #1 bounced out of his hands, was never dead, and ended up right in the hands of another eligible receiver (#11) who was right in front of the ref who ruled it a TD.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1
  • Drool 1

8 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

Shit, that was great, thanks for posting.  

That Miller kid had both hands on the Hail Mary:

image.png.31221243d97e696e0e75a4084d58bbc4.png

Man, I felt really bad for those receivers at the end. The three of them just there in the end zone on their hands and knees. What an emotional gut punch.

• Hook 'Em 2

8 hours ago, chainsaw said:

On the recommendation of a family friend I watched the end of this game and did not regret it. It would be an ESPN instant classic. I added a time stamp from where it gets good. The camera crew is surprisingly good, as are the announcers, although they are completely wrong about this first play probably because they didn't see the ball intended for #1 bounced out of his hands, was never dead, and ended up right in the hands of another eligible receiver (#11) who was right in front of the ref who ruled it a TD.

The announcers were Joe Bowling and Aaron Saenz. Right before the final play Saenz points out to Bowling that there were 41,000 people watching the stream and you can hear Bowling get emotional. He started streaming games completely by himself with a cheap camera and headset years ago because he wanted to get more exposure for RGV athletes and give families that couldn’t afford to travel to games a way to watch. Dude would be one of 5 people in the stands at a random summer league basketball game passionately calling the game to 5 viewers on YouTube. But he’d be at it everyday, for years. Eventually he got advertisers, started Rio Sports Live, got more people involved, and expanded coverage throughout South Texas. 

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 1
  • Drool 1

Any updates on TV for this weekend?  I see Bally's has a free 7-day trial so if I time it correct, I can get the Semifinals and Finals for no cost if I cancel on time.  Before I had kids in the district, I remember just casually flipping through channels between college football games and it seemed like every round was readily available somewhere on TV (KBVO, et. al.).  Now that we don't have cable and now that my oldest gives a darn about the local high school team, I can't find shit about fuck even this far into the bracket.  da fuh? 

49 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

Any updates on TV for this weekend?  I see Bally's has a free 7-day trial so if I time it correct, I can get the Semifinals and Finals for no cost if I cancel on time.  Before I had kids in the district, I remember just casually flipping through channels between college football games and it seemed like every round was readily available somewhere on TV (KBVO, et. al.).  Now that we don't have cable and now that my oldest gives a darn about the local high school team, I can't find shit about fuck even this far into the bracket.  da fuh? 

Could be wrong but I think Bally only carries the finals.  

If they carry the semis someone plz post because I can't find it.  

Looks like fubo has the Bally app also,  that might be another option.  

• Like 1

10 hours ago, chainsaw said:

Terrific broadcasters. Great production for a HS game. 

• Hook 'Em 1

54 minutes ago, perfectchaos007 said:

Before this year, how long has it been since a 5A-1 or higher classification team from the RGV made the state semis?

I think in the broadcast they said it was 2003 Port Isabel for all classifications. Besides that I've heard Donna had some deep runs in the 60s and Harlingen had one maybe in the 80s.

• Hook 'Em 1

14 minutes ago, chainsaw said:

I think in the broadcast they said it was 2003 Port Isabel for all classifications. Besides that I've heard Donna had some deep runs in the 60s and Harlingen had one maybe in the 80s.

PI did it a couple times in the 80s & 90s. Mission did it with Koy Detmer at QB in 1990, and of course Donna is the only one to ever bring home a state title, early 1960s.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Drool 1

17 minutes ago, Helobious said:

PI did it in 2003 in 3A. Edinburg high did it in 5A (6A equivalent at the time) in 1999, losing to some Aldine school.

Oh right they had two different divisions back then, one of them had an additional round. But yeah Edinburg was the Region champ after I think three rounds. Brownsville Vets has advanced four rounds but to be fair none of them have been SA teams.

@Nueces River Rat how would you rate this year's undefeated Miller team compared to the stronger Calallen teams of the past?

EDIT: Yeah three wins were Brownsville Hanna, Eagle Pass, and SA Taft, before falling to Eisenhower

https://www.uiltexas.org/files/athletics/brackets/football/football-5a-d1_1999-2000_Source.pdf

Edited by chainsaw

7 minutes ago, chainsaw said:

Oh right they had two different divisions back then, one of them had an additional round. But yeah Edinburg was the Region champ after I think three rounds. Brownsville Vets has advanced four rounds but to be fair none of them have been SA teams.

@Nueces River Rat how would you rate this year's undefeated Miller team compared to the stronger Calallen teams of the past?

I don’t know how long but it’s been awhile since Calallen competed above the 5A D2 level. Those 90s-00s Danaher era teams were just machines though, until they played La Marque anyway. Miller was 13-0 this year with a very high powered offense and some atypical athleticism for a South Texas team, they were pretty heavy favorites.

I watched some of SV’s highlights from last round and they actually aren’t all that much bigger in the trenches than the undersized Brownsville team. I think Miller had bigger guys on the lines, especially #74. The difference will be that SV is coached 10x better than Miller. B-Vets will be a big underdog, but that’s what they’ve been the past 3 rounds anyway. Hoping for a miracle. 

The one thing I do think is clear is that the SV-Brownsville winner will get slaughtered by Aledo in the title game. I’ve watched all 3 teams play, there’s no comparison.

• Like 1
  • Drool 1

25 minutes ago, Helobious said:

I don’t know how long but it’s been awhile since Calallen competed above the 5A D2 level. Those 90s-00s Danaher era teams were just machines though, until they played La Marque anyway. Miller was 13-0 this year with a very high powered offense and some atypical athleticism for a South Texas team, they were pretty heavy favorites.

I watched some of SV’s highlights from last round and they actually aren’t all that much bigger in the trenches than the undersized Brownsville team. I think Miller had bigger guys on the lines, especially #74. The difference will be that SV is coached 10x better than Miller. B-Vets will be a big underdog, but that’s what they’ve been the past 3 rounds anyway. Hoping for a miracle. 

The one thing I do think is clear is that the SV-Brownsville winner will get slaughtered by Aledo in the title game. I’ve watched all 3 teams play, there’s no comparison.

Could Miller have hung with them? They looked very athletic and talented. And yeah 74 is huge.

On 12/3/2023 at 12:52 PM, TexPx said:

66938d7c2de01463b51daf69f6ae7d26.jpg
Got my gear after they won two years ago. Best friend lived in Oak Cliff and we would go to random games for the hell of it.

She moved to Portland so I also bought her one for Xmas. Had to pick them up at the school. That was fun.

Aww man that’s awesome! I have mentioned before that one of my best friends is a graduate of SOC. His sons all played for DISD schools (Samuell, Pinkston and the last one at Carter where he was all-state.) He played for the Golden Bears in the late 80’s on the hardwood. If I wasn’t a 25+ year supporter of TGJM I’d wear that. 

Edited by UpperWestside
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, chainsaw said:

EDIT: Yeah three wins were Brownsville Hanna, Eagle Pass, and SA Taft, before falling to Eisenhower

https://www.uiltexas.org/files/athletics/brackets/football/football-5a-d1_1999-2000_Source.pdf

Kind of hard because their styles of play are different.    Calallen has always been power football and and strong defense to complement it.  Miller on the other hand is spread it out and score quick and defense be damned for the most part.   They dare you to get into that game with them and they’ve had the athletes on offense to it too.    The problem is when they get socked in the mouth by a team that plays D and they lose their composure. 

38 minutes ago, chainsaw said:

Could Miller have hung with them? They looked very athletic and talented. And yeah 74 is huge.

Hung with those Calallen teams? Not sure, different eras and all that. Calallen was as smashmouth as they come. But those Calellen teams back then did struggle in the playoffs when they played teams that… you know, had a lot of players like Miller has. 

2 hours ago, Helobious said:

Hung with those Calallen teams? Not sure, different eras and all that. Calallen was as smashmouth as they come. But those Calellen teams back then did struggle in the playoffs when they played teams that… you know, had a lot of players like Miller has. 

When was the most recent Region champ Calallen squad? 2016?

2 hours ago, chainsaw said:

When was the most recent Region champ Calallen squad? 2016?

2018.   Lost 19-17 to Fort Bend Marshall, but held Archane to a season ,ow. 

2016  Lost to Aledo 24-16 . Held Aledo to somewhere around 200 yards offense and season low in scoring.   Damn we had our chances to win that game. 

4 hours ago, Helobious said:

La Marque was stacked those years back in the mid 90s.    A couple of those years, the State title game was our game against  because La Marque went on the following week and just abused the opponent like no one’s business.  I would compare them to  Modern day Northshore or Duncanville because if the number  of players they had who signed to play college ball.    Now they are a shut down ISD taken over by Texas City ISD and a shadow of their former selves.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Nueces River Rat said:

La Marque was stacked those years back in the mid 90s.    A couple of those years, the State title game was our game against  because La Marque went on the following week and just abused the opponent like no one’s business.  I would compare them to  Modern day Northshore or Duncanville because if the number  of players they had who signed to play college ball.    Now they are a shut down ISD taken over by Texas City ISD and a shadow of their former selves.  

bobino_rashad_061208_300.jpg?preset=larg

• Hook 'Em 4

7 hours ago, Nueces River Rat said:

Those La Marque teams were scary. Texas City had some good teams, too, I think it was 1997 that both of the old 4a champs came out of that district with those two.  The other time that happened in the 1990s was when the old 26-5a won with Roosevelt and Judson. That district used to be maybe the deepest in the state. 

• Hook 'Em 3

Crazy Westlake fact: This will be our Chaps 7th straight state semi-final game. I honestly don't expect us to beat North Shore, but sustaining success like this is very good. Best of all, I get to go to a client's holiday party tomorrow in Lake Travis. Most of their crew there are LT families, so I get another year to talk shit to them. Trust me, I had to endure hearing it from them for 10 years, so I'm dishing it back while I can, haha.    

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Drool 1

Having played Steele, I will chime in.  That's a solid team.  QB is going to Grambling, Soph RB already committed to OU, top WR either Tech/Baylor, CB and S both going to Vanderbilt.  Etc.  D-1 kids all over the field.  A lot of speed on that team.  Just handled 2 really good teams in Harlan and Dripping Springs.  Of course now they have to play Summer Creek.  Ah never mind.

• Hook 'Em 2

46 minutes ago, TreatyOak said:

So @Helobious, this season features three SA/South Texas teams left:

• Smithson Valley
  • Cibolo Steele
  • Veterans Memorial

Sadly, two have to play each other. Of the three, which one do you think has the best chance to advance to state? 

Probably SV, they’ll be big favorites on Friday. Steele would be an underdog I would think. Glad to see them get it together after a few down years though, they’ll be good next year too. B-vets has a lot of sophomores and juniors playing as well.

• Hook 'Em 2

There was some thought that DeSoto might choose to opt up, but nope, DeSoto is very likely dropping to 5AD1 next year. The District of Doom is no more.

They might just be replaced by Lancaster though, so it will still be a great district. Also, Aledo is going to be cutting it really close.

On 12/5/2023 at 9:16 AM, TreatyOak said:

So @Helobious, this season features three SA/South Texas teams left:

• Smithson Valley
  • Cibolo Steele
  • Veterans Memorial

Sadly, two have to play each other. Of the three, which one do you think has the best chance to advance to state? 

Davenport is from the area in 4A D1. No clue about their opponent Tyler Chapel Hill other than they beat favored Kilgore. Looking forward to it. 

Speaking of, never been to McLane stadium in Waco. Any good places to eat close by that won't take forever before the game?

• Hook 'Em 2

44 minutes ago, Boss Hogg said:

Davenport is from the area in 4A D1. No clue about their opponent Tyler Chapel Hill other than they beat favored Kilgore. Looking forward to it. 

Speaking of, never been to McLane stadium in Waco. Any good places to eat close by that won't take forever before the game?

54d15ef51de2f.image.jpg.95c8e024fe0ed8d8128566642104e8ef.jpg

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

I mean, we would go to Pappasito’s if it were an option, don't get me wrong. Better than where I've had to go there before.

My wife is from Pasadena/Deer Park. Went to SFA. She has weird nostalgic attachment to Casa Ole. So we've stopped multiple years at the Waco location on the way to Ou game. Pretty bad. Even she had to admit it was bad the last few times. Still, we go.  

I like this week better than state championship week.  I’ve seen teams from up close that have won state and lost state, and lost in the semifinals, and losing a chance to go to Jerryworld actually seems more devastating than losing in Jerryworld.

Another thing that’s really cool about this week is that teams are playing for their region, so everyone from the Houston area is going to root for North Shore and Summer Creek, everyone from SE Texas is going to root for PNG, and everyone in south Texas except Helobious is going to root for Wimberley.

The other cool thing is no district rematches that we’ve seen over the past few weeks, including nine last week.  So that makes these games much much harder to project, and I wouldn't be that surprised if these predictions turn out Helobious-level quality.

CLASS 6A

DIVISION I

North Crowley (14-0) vs. Duncanville (13-0), 3 p.m. Saturday at Mesquite's Memorial Stadium
NC averages 55 ppg and their lowest output was a 35-7 win over defending region champ Prosper two weeks ago. But D’ville has more talent than anyone in the state, and they put it together by hanging SEVENTY (70!!) on a really good Westfield team last week.  They have the best O player and D player in the game in Durham and Simmons and NC’s best hope is catching them watching the North Shore game.  

Galena Park North Shore (14-0) vs. Austin Westlake (14-0), 2 p.m. Saturday at Pflugerville's The Pfield
The rubber match of the third-time-in-4-years matchup!  NS just always seems to find a way to win, while Westlake’s way to win is always running little Jack Keyser and playing sound defense.  Westlake seems to have decided that their soph QB is better than the experienced one, but the bad news is that he’s not that good.  Meanwhile, NS QB Kaleb Bailey is a dude who can win games for you, and I think that gives them the significant edge.  

DIVISION II

Southlake Carroll (13-1) vs. DeSoto (13-0), 2 p.m. Saturday at Allen's Eagle Stadium
SLC started looking like SLC again last week when they torched a Byron Nelson team 56-7 that beat them in the regular season.   Transfer RB Riley Wormley being declared eligible midseason was a big part of that turnaround.  Desoto won state last year, beat both SOC and Duncanville and whipped Cedar Hill twice this year.   They’re too good.  

Humble Summer Creek (13-1) vs. Cibolo Steele (13-1), 5 p.m. Saturday at Waco's McLane Stadium
Two kids I love to watch who I think are terribly underrecruited here.  SC RB Lloyd Avant (#25, Tulsa) has 1900y and 26 TDs after 1800 and 27 last year.  Steele junior QB Chad Warner (#7) has thrown for 3200+ and 35 TDs with a 70% completion rate.  SC’s only loss was by 10 to North Shore, while Steele lost by 10 to LT.  I like SC because they’ve played a tougher schedule.  

CLASS 5A

DIVISION I

Aledo (14-0) vs. Forney (13-1), 7:30 p.m. Friday at Midlothian ISD Stadium
What a story Forney has been!  First time to this level since DaBryan Blanton was running wild 20+ years ago, with pretty much nothing between then and now.  Unfortunately, they run into a team with a better D and a more explosive offense.  Also, I love Aledo QB Hauss Hejny (TCU commit).  Fud would know better than me, but this Aledo team looks better than the one that won state last season.  

Smithson Valley (13-1) vs. Brownsville Veterans Memorial (12-2), 7 p.m. Friday at Corpus Christi's Buccaneer Stadium
Story of the year in BVM takes on steady, disciplined SV.  The problem for BVM is that this is a terrible matchup, with Larry Hill’s D looking to stop an offense that passes for less than 100y/game?  They’ll do that easily.  SV lost their season opener and has won three straight one-score games.  They’ll win this by more than 1 score.  

DIVISION II

Frisco Emerson (12-2) vs. South Oak Cliff (12-2), 7 p.m. Friday at Frisco's Ford Center
I doubt if anyone really expected Lovejoy to beat SOC last week, but no one had SOC pitching a 42-0 shutout.  The Bears seem pretty freaking invincible right now, and it doesn’t seem like a 2nd-year program should have a chance.  Emerson does have a stud QB in Allen transfer Mike Hawkins, but he won’t be enough.   SOC big this week and next week.

Port Neches-Groves (13-1) vs. Liberty Hill (10-4), 7 p.m. Friday at Cypress' Cy-Fair FCU Stadium
LH annoys me.  Their success partially hinges on the referee not calling them for not being set for a full second on offense, they only pass for 38y/game, and their D kind of sucks (34 ppg).  But they’ve gotten on a roll in the playoffs.  They did last year, too, until they ran into PNG this round and lost 42-14.   No offense to LH, but one of their biggest advantages is running into teams that haven’t had time to adequately prepare for the Slot-T.  But PNG did it last season, so I expect they’ll do it again.  

CLASS 4A

DIVISION I

Decatur (10-4) vs. Anna (13-1), 7 p.m. Friday at Denton's Collins Stadium
Decatur started the season 1-4, including a 37-30 loss to Anna in the opener.  Both teams have gotten better since, but Anna survived a much tougher region and they really pass the eye test – they’re very big, fast, and athletic for a 4A team.  In fact, they’ll be 5A next season.  For now, they’re still the best team in 4A and they should handle the Eagles fairly easily. 

Tyler Chapel Hill (12-2) vs. San Antonio Davenport (11-3), 7 p.m. Friday at Waco's McLane Stadium
Interesting one here!   This is Davenport’s third full season, and it’s also the third season that the Chapel Hill junior duo of QB Demetrious Brisbon and Ricky Stewart (both SMU commits) are playing in the semis.   They’re 0-2 so far, but I wouldn’t expect them to go 0-3.  Neither team has a great D, so expect a 52-45 type of game.

DIVISION II

Glen Rose (10-4) vs. Gilmer (11-3), 7 p.m. Friday at Prosper's Children's Health Stadium
I’m sure Gilmer’s the favorite after their monumental upset over Carthage last week.   But Glen Rose lost a heartbreaker in the semis to Carthage last season, then started this season 1-4 against some tough competition before catching fire and dismantling a good West Plains team 45-13 last week.  That really sounds like a team on a mission.  Gilmer’s D played well enough to win last week, but they’ve still allowed an absurd 504 points this season.   GR has a stud QB in Canyon Evans who has thrown for 4200+ yards and 45 TDs and I think he’ll make the plays needed to win.

Bellville (14-0) vs. Wimberley (14-0), 7:30 p.m. Friday at Pflugerville's The Pfield
This one is a mystery because neither team has played much of a schedule.  Wimberley hasn’t been tested since beating Pieper and Brock in consecutive weekends in September.   Bellville at least came out of a tough region, beating Silsbee and Jasper convincingly (combined 92-14 score) the last two weeks, but they’ve only played three opponents all season with winning records.  Wimberley’s offense is pretty much a 1-man show, but Cody Stoever is a ridiculous 1-man show with 68 TDs from 2800y passing and 1400y rushing.  Bellville runs a Wing-T type offense and Wimberley has shown through the years that they can shut that stuff down – just ask Navarro and LH.  I think the Texans win a slugfest by forcing the Brahmas into playing catchup.

CLASS 3A

DIVISION I

Brock (11-3) vs. Malakoff (14-0), 7 p.m. Thursday at Frisco's Ford Center  NOTE:  TONIGHT!!!
I like Malakoff in this one.  Of course, I liked them in this game last season, too, when Brock beat them 21-10.  But it’s payback time and stud QB Mike Jones and the Malakoff D have been thinking about that game for a year.  Brock’s record is again deceiving until you look at their suicidal non-district slate that included Pleasant Grove, Wimberley, and Gunter.   Malakoff’s closest game this season was a 30-point win over Grandview.  

Franklin (13-1) vs. Edna (11-2), 7 p.m. Thursday at Cypress' Cy-Fair FCU Stadium  NOTE:  TONIGHT!!!
Big mismatch again.  Franklin beat Edna 41-13 in the semis last year.  It should be a bit closer, as Franklin has only one big offensive weapon in RB Jayden Jackson (#1).  Franklin has won 16 straight playoff games.

DIVISION II

Canadian (14-0) vs. Gunter (14-0), 6 p.m. Friday at Abilene's Wildcat Stadium
Maybe the best rivalry in the state, as these teams are meeting for the 7th time in 8 seasons, all in the state semis (4-2 Gunter).  Both teams have just obliterated everyone on their schedule. Gunter has a season scoreboard of 835-95; their closest game was last week’s 55-33 win over Jacksboro that was actually in doubt late in the 3rd.  Canadian is at 851-199, with their closest also coming last week, 31-12 over Wall.  Gunter got a last second TD to win 21-20 last season.  I think Canadian reverses that Friday.

Daingerfield (11-3) vs. Tidehaven (13-0), 7 p.m. Thursday at New Canye's Randall Reed Stadium  NOTE:  TONIGHT!!!
I picked against Daingerfield last week and they smacked Newton around.  Am I dumb enough to pick against them twice?  Yes I am!   Tidehaven is putting off team of destiny vibes, and they’ll have the best player on the field (sorry, Aeryn) in Baylor commit Joe Dobbs, who almost single-handedly carried them back from a 28-14 deficit last week.  Tidehaven’s defense is also better – though they’ve allowed 49 points the last two weeks, they’ve only allowed 63 all season.   I think the boys from Elmaton (El Maton?  Which is it?) get it done.

CLASS 2A

DIVISION I

Stratford (14-0) vs. Tolar (13-1), 5 p.m. Thursday, Vernon's Lion Stadium  NOTE:  TONIGHT!!!
Stratford just waxed defending state champ Hawley 48-6 last week.  Tolar (just west of Granbury on 377) lost only to a Dallas private that won a TAPPS state title.  This should be a really good one, but Stratford is 41-1 over the last 3 seasons, and they have the best player in 3-star QB/LB Bryce Brayden.

Timpson (14-0) vs. Ganado (12-2), 7 p.m Thursday at Shenadoah's Woodforest Bank Stadium  NOTE:  TONIGHT!!!
Ganado’s a great story and they picked up some fans after pasting Refugio by 30 last week, but Timpson has Terry Bussey playing QB and RB and safety and everything else he wants to play and the 5-star recruit can win this by himself.  

DIVISION II

Sunray (12-2) vs. Albany (14-0), 6 p.m. Thursday at Lubbock's Lowrey Field  NOTE:  TONIGHT!!!
Sunray lost to powers Stratford and Gruver by a total of 4 points early in the season, and they won their region final 67-6.  They have a 4-year starter at QB in Armando Lujan, who has thrown for over 4000 yards and needs 32 rushing to get to 1000.  But Albany has the pedigree and coach Denney Faith and I’d bet they figure out a way to stop Lujan and the Bobcats.

Mart (14-0) vs. Chilton (13-1), 7 p.m. Friday at Belton's Crusader Stadium
It seems crazy that these two teams are only 30 miles apart, and not only are they not in the same district, they’re not even in the same region.  The overriding story of these teams to me is that Chilton is very very very pissed off.   Their district executive committee (read: other schools in district) ruled that they had used an ineligible player and that they should forfeit four district games, which would keep them out of the playoffs.  Chilton appealed to the UIL, whose emergency meeting reversed the ruling and put the Pirates in the playoffs.   They’ve outscored opponents 229-34 in four games, including a 45-0 payback over a Granger team that beat them in district (and likely voted to keep them out).  Mart has done their usual Mart dominance thing, outscoring opponents 690-114, and normally, I think you’d be crazy to pick against Mart before Jerryworld, but Chilton’s biggest weapon is RB named Markeydrick Taylor and how are you going to pick against a kid named Markeydrick?  Besides, look at these studs:

64e646c3dcc49.image.jpg?resize=1476,943

Markeydrick is #4.  And #5 looks like he could be aggy Meat Judging Legend's little bro!

Edited by Beau Vine
  • Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

53 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

I like this week better than state championship week.  I’ve seen teams from up close that have won state and lost state, and lost in the semifinals, and losing a chance to go to Jerryworld actually seems more devastating than losing in Jerryworld.

Another thing that’s really cool about this week is that teams are playing for their region, so everyone from the Houston area is going to root for North Shore and Summer Creek, everyone from SE Texas is going to root for PNG, and everyone in south Texas except Helobious is going to root for Wimberley.

The other cool thing is no district rematches that we’ve seen over the past few weeks, including nine last week.  So that makes these games much much harder to project, and I wouldn't be that surprised if these predictions turn out Helobious-level quality.

CLASS 6A

DIVISION I

North Crowley (14-0) vs. Duncanville (13-0), 3 p.m. Saturday at Mesquite's Memorial Stadium
NC averages 55 ppg and their lowest output was a 35-7 win over defending region champ Prosper two weeks ago. But D’ville has more talent than anyone in the state, and they put it together by hanging SEVENTY (70!!) on a really good Westfield team last week.  They have the best O player and D player in the game in Durham and Simmons and NC’s best hope is catching them watching the North Shore game.  

Galena Park North Shore (14-0) vs. Austin Westlake (14-0), 2 p.m. Saturday at Pflugerville's The Pfield
The rubber match of the third-time-in-4-years matchup!  NS just always seems to find a way to win, while Westlake’s way to win is always running little Jack Keyser and playing sound defense.  Westlake seems to have decided that their soph QB is better than the experienced one, but the bad news is that he’s not that good.  Meanwhile, NS QB Kaleb Bailey is a dude who can win games for you, and I think that gives them the significant edge.  

DIVISION II

Southlake Carroll (13-1) vs. DeSoto (13-0), 2 p.m. Saturday at Allen's Eagle Stadium
SLC started looking like SLC again last week when they torched a Byron Nelson team 56-7 that beat them in the regular season.   Transfer RB Riley Wormley being declared eligible midseason was a big part of that turnaround.  Desoto won state last year, beat both SOC and Duncanville and whipped Cedar Hill twice this year.   They’re too good.  

Humble Summer Creek (13-1) vs. Cibolo Steele (13-1), 5 p.m. Saturday at Waco's McLane Stadium
Two kids I love to watch who I think are terribly underrecruited here.  SC RB Lloyd Avant (#25, Tulsa) has 1900y and 26 TDs after 1800 and 27 last year.  Steele junior QB Chad Warner (#7) has thrown for 3200+ and 35 TDs with a 70% completion rate.  SC’s only loss was by 10 to North Shore, while Steele lost by 10 to LT.  I like SC because they’ve played a tougher schedule.  

CLASS 5A

DIVISION I

Aledo (14-0) vs. Forney (13-1), 7:30 p.m. Friday at Midlothian ISD Stadium
What a story Forney has been!  First time to this level since DaBryan Blanton was running wild 20+ years ago, with pretty much nothing between then and now.  Unfortunately, they run into a team with a better D and a more explosive offense.  Also, I love Aledo QB Hauss Hejny (TCU commit).  Fud would know better than me, but this Aledo team looks better than the one that won state last season.  

Smithson Valley (13-1) vs. Brownsville Veterans Memorial (12-2), 7 p.m. Friday at Corpus Christi's Buccaneer Stadium
Story of the year in BVM takes on steady, disciplined SV.  The problem for BVM is that this is a terrible matchup, with Larry Hill’s D looking to stop an offense that passes for less than 100y/game?  They’ll do that easily.  SV lost their season opener and has won three straight one-score games.  They’ll win this by more than 1 score.  

DIVISION II

Frisco Emerson (12-2) vs. South Oak Cliff (12-2), 7 p.m. Friday at Frisco's Ford Center
I doubt if anyone really expected Lovejoy to beat SOC last week, but no one had SOC pitching a 42-0 shutout.  The Bears seem pretty freaking invincible right now, and it doesn’t seem like a 2nd-year program should have a chance.  Emerson does have a stud QB in Allen transfer Mike Hawkins, but he won’t be enough.   SOC big this week and next week.

Port Neches-Groves (13-1) vs. Liberty Hill (10-4), 7 p.m. Friday at Cypress' Cy-Fair FCU Stadium
LH annoys me.  Their success partially hinges on the referee not calling them for not being set for a full second on offense, they only pass for 38y/game, and their D kind of sucks (34 ppg).  But they’ve gotten on a roll in the playoffs.  They did last year, too, until they ran into PNG this round and lost 42-14.   No offense to LH, but one of their biggest advantages is running into teams that haven’t had time to adequately prepare for the Slot-T.  But PNG did it last season, so I expect they’ll do it again.  

CLASS 4A

DIVISION I

Decatur (10-4) vs. Anna (13-1), 7 p.m. Friday at Denton's Collins Stadium
Decatur started the season 1-4, including a 37-30 loss to Anna in the opener.  Both teams have gotten better since, but Anna survived a much tougher region and they really pass the eye test – they’re very big, fast, and athletic for a 4A team.  In fact, they’ll be 5A next season.  For now, they’re still the best team in 4A and they should handle the Eagles fairly easily. 

Tyler Chapel Hill (12-2) vs. San Antonio Davenport (11-3), 7 p.m. Friday at Waco's McLane Stadium
Interesting one here!   This is Davenport’s third full season, and it’s also the third season that the Chapel Hill junior duo of QB Demetrious Brisbon and Ricky Stewart (both SMU commits) are playing in the semis.   They’re 0-2 so far, but I wouldn’t expect them to go 0-3.  Neither team has a great D, so expect a 52-45 type of game.

DIVISION II

Glen Rose (10-4) vs. Gilmer (11-3), 7 p.m. Friday at Prosper's Children's Health Stadium
I’m sure Gilmer’s the favorite after their monumental upset over Carthage last week.   But Glen Rose lost a heartbreaker in the semis to Carthage last season, then started this season 1-4 against some tough competition before catching fire and dismantling a good West Plains team 45-13 last week.  That really sounds like a team on a mission.  Gilmer’s D played well enough to win last week, but they’ve still allowed an absurd 504 points this season.   GR has a stud QB in Canyon Evans who has thrown for 4200+ yards and 45 TDs and I think he’ll make the plays needed to win.

Bellville (14-0) vs. Wimberley (14-0), 7:30 p.m. Friday at Pflugerville's The Pfield
This one is a mystery because neither team has played much of a schedule.  Wimberley hasn’t been tested since beating Pieper and Brock in consecutive weekends in September.   Bellville at least came out of a tough region, beating Silsbee and Jasper convincingly (combined 92-14 score) the last two weeks, but they’ve only played three opponents all season with winning records.  Wimberley’s offense is pretty much a 1-man show, but Cody Stoever is a ridiculous 1-man show with 68 TDs from 2800y passing and 1400y rushing.  Bellville runs a Wing-T type offense and Wimberley has shown through the years that they can shut that stuff down – just ask Navarro and LH.  I think the Texans win a slugfest by forcing the Brahmas into playing catchup.

CLASS 3A

DIVISION I

Brock (11-3) vs. Malakoff (14-0), 7 p.m. Thursday at Frisco's Ford Center  NOTE:  TONIGHT!!!
I like Malakoff in this one.  Of course, I liked them in this game last season, too, when Brock beat them 21-10.  But it’s payback time and stud QB Mike Jones and the Malakoff D have been thinking about that game for a year.  Brock’s record is again deceiving until you look at their suicidal non-district slate that included Pleasant Grove, Wimberley, and Gunter.   Malakoff’s closest game this season was a 30-point win over Grandview.  

Franklin (13-1) vs. Edna (11-2), 7 p.m. Thursday at Cypress' Cy-Fair FCU Stadium  NOTE:  TONIGHT!!!
Big mismatch again.  Franklin beat Edna 41-13 in the semis last year.  It should be a bit closer, as Franklin has only one big offensive weapon in RB Jayden Jackson (#1).  Franklin has won 16 straight playoff games.

DIVISION II

Canadian (14-0) vs. Gunter (14-0), 6 p.m. Friday at Abilene's Wildcat Stadium
Maybe the best rivalry in the state, as these teams are meeting for the 7th time in 8 seasons, all in the state semis (4-2 Gunter).  Both teams have just obliterated everyone on their schedule. Gunter has a season scoreboard of 835-95; their closest game was last week’s 55-33 win over Jacksboro that was actually in doubt late in the 3rd.  Canadian is at 851-199, with their closest also coming last week, 31-12 over Wall.  Gunter got a last second TD to win 21-20 last season.  I think Canadian reverses that Friday.

Daingerfield (11-3) vs. Tidehaven (13-0), 7 p.m. Thursday at New Canye's Randall Reed Stadium  NOTE:  TONIGHT!!!
I picked against Daingerfield last week and they smacked Newton around.  Am I dumb enough to pick against them twice?  Yes I am!   Tidehaven is putting off team of destiny vibes, and they’ll have the best player on the field (sorry, Aeryn) in Baylor commit Joe Dobbs, who almost single-handedly carried them back from a 28-14 deficit last week.  Tidehaven’s defense is also better – though they’ve allowed 49 points the last two weeks, they’ve only allowed 63 all season.   I think the boys from Elmaton (El Maton?  Which is it?) get it done.

CLASS 2A

DIVISION I

Stratford (14-0) vs. Tolar (13-1), 5 p.m. Thursday, Vernon's Lion Stadium  NOTE:  TONIGHT!!!
Stratford just waxed defending state champ Hawley 48-6 last week.  Tolar (just west of Granbury on 377) lost only to a Dallas private that won a TAPPS state title.  This should be a really good one, but Stratford is 41-1 over the last 3 seasons, and they have the best player in 3-star QB/LB Bryce Brayden.

Timpson (14-0) vs. Ganado (12-2), 7 p.m Thursday at Shenadoah's Woodforest Bank Stadium  NOTE:  TONIGHT!!!
Ganado’s a great story and they picked up some fans after pasting Refugio by 30 last week, but Timpson has Terry Bussey playing QB and RB and safety and everything else he wants to play and the 5-star recruit can win this by himself.  

DIVISION II

Sunray (12-2) vs. Albany (14-0), 6 p.m. Thursday at Lubbock's Lowrey Field  NOTE:  TONIGHT!!!
Sunray lost to powers Stratford and Gruver by a total of 4 points early in the season, and they won their region final 67-6.  They have a 4-year starter at QB in Armando Lujan, who has thrown for over 4000 yards and needs 32 rushing to get to 1000.  But Albany has the pedigree and coach Denney Faith and I’d bet they figure out a way to stop Lujan and the Bobcats.

Mart (14-0) vs. Chilton (13-1), 7 p.m. Friday at Belton's Crusader Stadium
It seems crazy that these two teams are only 30 miles apart, and not only are they not in the same district, they’re not even in the same region.  The overriding story of these teams to me is that Chilton is very very very pissed off.   Their district executive committee (read: other schools in district) ruled that they had used an ineligible player and that they should forfeit four district games, which would keep them out of the playoffs.  Chilton appealed to the UIL, whose emergency meeting reversed the ruling and put the Pirates in the playoffs.   They’ve outscored opponents 229-34 in four games, including a 45-0 payback over a Granger team that beat them in district (and likely voted to keep them out).  Mart has done their usual Mart dominance thing, outscoring opponents 690-114, and normally, I think you’d be crazy to pick against Mart before Jerryworld, but Chilton’s biggest weapon is RB named Markeydrick Taylor and how are you going to pick against a kid named Markeydrick?  Besides, look at these studs:

64e646c3dcc49.image.jpg?resize=1476,943

Markeydrick is #4.  And #5 looks like he could be aggy Meat Judging Legend's little bro!

It's El Maton. El Maton is Spanish for the killer (or the bully...I guess context matters... however, in the case of the town, is the killer).

• Hook 'Em 1