2023 Texas High School Football

3-9 my ass. It’s fucking redemption season. 

1A D2: Benjamin

1A D1: Gordon

2A D2: Mart

2A D1: Timpson

3A D2: Tidehaven. South Texas pride 

3A D1: Malakoff

4A D2: Gilmer

4A D1: Tyler Chapel Hill

5A D2: PNG gets revenge

5A D1: Aledo

6A D2: Summer Creek with one of the biggest  state title upsets ever. They’ve had a sneaky great season, and when Claude Mathis is on the opposing sideline you’ve always got a chance to win. 

6A D1: lol. Duncanville by however many points they feel like

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Drool 1

2 hours ago, Helobious said:

3-9 my ass. It’s fucking redemption season. 

1A D2: Benjamin

1A D1: Gordon

2A D2: Mart

2A D1: Timpson

3A D2: Tidehaven. South Texas pride 

3A D1: Malakoff

4A D2: Gilmer

4A D1: Tyler Chapel Hill

5A D2: PNG gets revenge

5A D1: Aledo

6A D2: Summer Creek with one of the biggest  state title upsets ever. They’ve had a sneaky great season, and when Claude Mathis is on the opposing sideline you’ve always got a chance to win. 

6A D1: lol. Duncanville by however many points they feel like

Let’s see how many/most of these wind up being wrong. You will probably get more correct than I will.

Benjamin

Westbrook

Mart 

Timpson

Gunter

Malakoff

Gilmer

Anna

SOC

Aledo

Desoto

Duncanville

My picks, ordered by confidence, highest to lowest.

Disclaimer: I first did this about 10 years ago and nailed every game from 3A-6A that season.  I have never approached that level of accuracy again.

Highest confidence:

1.  3AD2 -- Gunter over Tidehaven.   Tidehaven has developed a nasty habit of falling behind and rallying.  They're going to get buried if they fall behind to Gunter.  The experience is a huge mismatch, as since 2016 Gunter is 120-6 with 3 state titles in 5 trips.  

2.  5AD2 -- SOC over PNG.  SOC's not as good as the past couple of years, but they absolutely have the mystique going for them.  PNG will play them closer than 2022 but they're not going to beat SOC.

3.  5AD1 -- Aledo over Smithson Valley.  SV is hard to play because they're so well coached, but this is a big mismatch in athleticism.  SV is DuBose and a bunch of big slow white guys.  

4.  6AD2 -- Desoto over Summer Creek.  I love SC RB Lloyd Avant, but he's just one dude and Desoto has a ton of dudes.  The Claude Mathis Effect does worry me.

5.  6AD1 -- Duncanville over NS.  I was kind of waffling on this one until I remembered what D'ville did to Westfield.  The Panthers have the best player on both O & D.

6.  3AD1 -- Franklin over Malakoff.  I had decided that Malakoff was winning state a couple of weeks ago, but their offense looked like shit against Brock and they were really lucky to win that game.  Franklin is not as good as they have been lately, as they only have one stud RB (Jayden Jackson) this season, but they do have a QB capable of burning a D that sells out to stop the Wing-T, which is a huge game-changer.

7.  4AD2 -- Bellville over Gilmer.  Gilmer's D is allowing 36.4 ppg, which has to be a record for a team making state.  In the regular season they allowed games of 71 points, 63, 62, and 56, but they've gone from "bad" to "adequate" in the playoffs and their offense has been unstoppable.  But the Brahmas have the best player on the field in junior DL DJ Sanders (offered by everyone, including the good guys) who was a game-changer last week over Wimberley. 

8.  2AD1 -- Timpson over Tolar.  A couple of weeks ago, I would've said Timpson easily, but Tolar has been great and I think they keep it close.  But they've never seen anyone like Terry Bussey and he'll win it for the Bears, as usual.  

9.  4AD1 -- Anna over Chapel Hill.  Anna's playing 4A with a 5A enrollment and their ridiculously big, fast team makes that clear.  Brisbon and Stewart will give it all they have (and probably be back in Jerryworld next season), but the numbers are too much to overcome.  

Lowest confidence:

10.  2AD2 -- Albany over Mart.  All the regular season blowouts have been catching up to Mart deep in the playoffs the past couple of years, and Denney Faith will have his kids playing like their hair's on fire for four quarters, so I think they win a close one. 

Edited by Beau Vine
  • Hook 'Em 3

A lot of people that think my predictions are cursed are about to get a lesson in mathematical correction. 1-0 bitch.

Congratulations. Best start in two years.

Also, thanks for at least trying. Anything below 4A gets sketchy for me and I’d be picking with no knowledge at all.

6 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

link?

https://www.fubo.tv/welcome

Should be a red Start Free Trial button at the top. I got a free trial of Bally Sports directly through them but didn't see it for this year.  Didn't know Fubo has Bally. 

I just did the cheapest plan option. It has Bally Sports Southwest. Free trial is 7 days and nothing due at sign up. They said they will email you a day before reminding you of the free trial ending.

Edited by Vic Mackey

5 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:

https://www.fubo.tv/welcome

Should be a red Start Free Trial button at the top. I got a free trial of Bally Sports directly through them but didn't see it for this year.  Didn't know Fubo has Bally. 

I just did the cheapest plan option. It has Bally Sports Southwest. Free trial is 7 days and nothing due at sign up. They said they will email you a day before reminding you of the free trial ending.

thanks

4 minutes ago, Herbie Hancock said:

Is google that hard for you?

yes

The Bussey show is about to start.  The show between games talked about how his mom and sister have both died.  Pretty rough stuff.

I'm interested to see if he'll take over the game like J-Whitt did his senior year or like Ced did back in the day.

Edited by WBT

6 hours ago, Beau Vine said:

My picks, ordered by confidence, highest to lowest.

Disclaimer: I first did this about 10 years ago and nailed every game from 3A-6A that season.  I have never approached that level of accuracy again.

Highest confidence:

1.  3AD2 -- Gunter over Tidehaven.   Tidehaven has developed a nasty habit of falling behind and rallying.  They're going to get buried if they fall behind to Gunter.  The experience is a huge mismatch, as since 2016 Gunter is 120-6 with 3 state titles in 5 trips.  

2.  5AD2 -- SOC over PNG.  SOC's not as good as the past couple of years, but they absolutely have the mystique going for them.  PNG will play them closer than 2022 but they're not going to beat SOC.

3.  5AD1 -- Aledo over Smithson Valley.  SV is hard to play because they're so well coached, but this is a big mismatch in athleticism.  SV is DuBose and a bunch of big slow white guys.  

4.  6AD2 -- Desoto over Summer Creek.  I love SC RB Lloyd Avant, but he's just one dude and Desoto has a ton of dudes.  The Claude Mathis Effect does worry me.

5.  6AD1 -- Duncanville over NS.  I was kind of waffling on this one until I remembered what D'ville did to Westfield.  The Panthers have the best player on both O & D.

6.  3AD1 -- Franklin over Malakoff.  I had decided that Malakoff was winning state a couple of weeks ago, but their offense looked like shit against Brock and they were really lucky to win that game.  Franklin is not as good as they have been lately, as they only have one stud RB (Jayden Jackson) this season, but they do have a QB capable of burning a D that sells out to stop the Wing-T, which is a huge game-changer.

7.  4AD2 -- Bellville over Gilmer.  Gilmer's D is allowing 36.4 ppg, which has to be a record for a team making state.  In the regular season they allowed games of 71 points, 63, 62, and 56, but they've gone from "bad" to "adequate" in the playoffs and their offense has been unstoppable.  But the Brahmas have the best player on the field in junior DL DJ Sanders (offered by everyone, including the good guys) who was a game-changer last week over Wimberley. 

8.  2AD1 -- Timpson over Tolar.  A couple of weeks ago, I would've said Timpson easily, but Tolar has been great and I think they keep it close.  But they've never seen anyone like Terry Bussey and he'll win it for the Bears, as usual.  

9.  4AD1 -- Anna over Chapel Hill.  Anna's playing 4A with a 5A enrollment and their ridiculously big, fast team makes that clear.  Brisbon and Stewart will give it all they have (and probably be back in Jerryworld next season), but the numbers are too much to overcome.  

Lowest confidence:

10.  2AD2 -- Albany over Mart.  All the regular season blowouts have been catching up to Mart deep in the playoffs the past couple of years, and Denney Faith will have his kids playing like their hair's on fire for four quarters, so I think they win a close one. 

The fix was in. Boycott this weekend and send a message that using crooked refs is NOT okay!