Texas Basketball Recruiting Notes: A Clean Shave

texifornia

• 4 weeks later...

Cross-posting from the basketball thread. Good interview with Tre Johnson's dad

Spoiler

The crown jewel of Texas’ 2024 basketball class is five-star shooting guard Tre Johnson. The Lake Highlands native is finishing out his prep career at Link Academy before participating in the McDonald’s All-American Game this spring. A trip to the Geico Nationals could be in order, too.

But first, a return trip to the Forty Acres was in order last weekend to see the Longhorns dismantle West Virginia, 94-58.

“It was a good experience,” Richard Johnson Jr., Tre’s father, told Horns247. “It was our first time in the Moody Center. It was good to see the team get a win that they needed. The energy and everything was great.”

Johnson’s been signed with Texas since November when he chose UT over Baylor. While recruiting pitches are a thing of the past, the conversations with the coaching staff now center around the future in Austin.

“Basically just getting other players around him, around Tre, around the players they already got, to have a successful season,” Johnson’s dad said of the conversations with coaches on the visit. “They’re mapping out what that’s going to look like. Probably not more so high school players, but probably more getting something out of the portal, some bigger guys, big men, other guards — good pieces around Tre to make the team successful and give them a chance to win.”

There’s been bumps along the road this season for the men’s basketball team, but the Longhorns have shown they can compete with any program in the country. Everything is still in front of UT at the midway point of February.

“The Big 12 is tough,” Richard Johnson Jr. said. “You’re watching Kansas and Houston, the top teams in the conference are getting beat. So you really can’t base it on the wins and losses. A lot of the players that are there now won’t be there next year. The coaching staff and everybody is working hard, they’re coaching hard. The Big 12, you gotta bring it night in and night out.”

Johnson’s father looked back on what originally drew his son to the Longhorns over Baylor.

“I think overall it was the relationship that Tre has with the coaching staff,” he said. “It was tough choosing between Baylor and Texas. We love those guys in Waco and the success that Coach Drew has had with the guard play and just coaching. It was tough. But the difference that gave Texas the edge was that relationship Tre has with the coaches, and also having that Texas brand behind you when the ball stops bouncing.”

Many Texas fans following hoops are quick to remember former Texas signee Ron Holland asking out of his National Letter of Intent and going the G-League route last spring. While that’s an option for any elite level basketball prospect looking to boost their stock for the next level, Johnson has always been more intrigued by going the college route himself.

“We’ve never really been big on it because it’s fairly new,” Johnson’s father said of the pre-NBA professional route. “You look at the draft, the top 10 players are not coming from the G-League. Some are coming from G-League, overseas, college. And then when you go G-League, you don’t have that brand behind you when you finish playing, so, you know, that kind of gives the going to college route the advantage.

“That’s never been big with Tre as far as wanting to go G-League. Of course we’ve talked to those guys, but going to college has its pros and cons also. Tre’s just always felt comfortable going the college route.”

Johnson is ranked the No. 2 shooting guard and the No. 5 overall prospect in the country, per the 247Sports Composite Rankings.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I didn't watch much OSU hoops this year, so I don't know if this guy played worth a shit this year or not, but he's bailing on the Cowboys after that they shitcanned Boynton. 2023 McD AA

Garrison was ranked No. 42 in the ESPN 100 for the Class of 2023, the No. 5 center in the class. When he committed to Oklahoma State in the summer of 2022, he chose the Cowboys over a list of finalists that also included Kansas, Texas and Arkansas.

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/39758339/oklahoma-state-freshman-brandon-garrison-enters-transfer-portal

1 hour ago, MuellerHorn said:

Texas did finish second.

He didn't have great stats this year. OTOH, Stanford was ass. Still, I don't like those FG or FT percentages.

Screenshot2024-03-18at13_53_58.thumb.png.244d1902bcbae05fa6c685b1b6b94e88.png

He did indeed shoot miserably this season but the two games I saw he looks like a good player.  

30 minutes ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

Lol

This dude has one of the worst offensive games I’ve ever seen from a power conference guard. 

Cal stinks, so a player can transfer there and get a green light they wouldn’t get at almost any other power conference school. Jaylon Tyson ended up at Cal and actually flourished there because of this.

But Askew does almost nothing well offensively, an extra green light doesn’t matter for him.

8 minutes ago, Lonestar88 said:

This dude has one of the worst offensive games I’ve ever seen from a power conference guard. 

Cal stinks, so a player can transfer there and get a green light they wouldn’t get at almost any other power conference school. Jaylon Tyson ended up at Cal and actually flourished there because of this.

But Askew does almost nothing well offensively, an extra green light doesn’t matter for him.

A former coach here that shall remain nameless said before the 2021-2022 season that Devin Askew had a chance to be "one of the all-time greats in the Big 12".

• Haha 3

3 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

A former coach here that shall remain nameless said before the 2021-2022 season that Devin Askew had a chance to be "one of the all-time greats in the Big 12".

When you BS to a recruit to get them to come you can't all of a sudden keep it 100 in front of the media.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Lonestar88 said:

So, like, Tyrese Hunter?

22 hours ago, MuellerHorn said:

Texas did finish second.

He didn't have great stats this year. OTOH, Stanford was ass. Still, I don't like those FG or FT percentages.

Small sample size but I never would've expected Peja's son to shoot 50% on FTs...

• Hook 'Em 1

On 3/18/2024 at 12:12 PM, Blotto said:

I didn't watch much OSU hoops this year, so I don't know if this guy played worth a shit this year or not, but he's bailing on the Cowboys after that they shitcanned Boynton. 2023 McD AA

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/39758339/oklahoma-state-freshman-brandon-garrison-enters-transfer-portal

@'stache - What say you?

1 minute ago, MuellerHorn said:

@'stache - What say you?

Lanky, a bit awkward, often out of place, and made some really dumb decisions on the court. But so did everyone else on the team. Certainly potential is there. I'd like to keep him but am preparing for a complete overhaul which is needed. New coach can keep who he wants and bring in others. I really have zero attachment to any of our current players. Losing Cisse last year hurt a million times more.

• Hook 'Em 3

Askew just tried to throw a basketball into the ocean, but it hit the bottom of his boat, bounced up, hit him in the chin and knocked him unconscious, then landed on a nail on the deck and deflated. 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 3/18/2024 at 1:55 PM, MuellerHorn said:

Texas did finish second.

supposedly wants big $ and Furd reports suggest that he isn't worth it.  More style than substance

• Hook 'Em 1

On 3/18/2024 at 3:40 PM, Lonestar88 said:

Dude is a walking MASH unit.  Cal thought he should medically retire but he is trying for one more (likely small) bag.  Madsen didn't try to hold on to him and Cal has like 3 players left after Madsen started kicking guys to the curb this week.  That should say plenty...

On 3/19/2024 at 6:36 PM, HtownHorn said:

Texas was in his final 3 before choosing OSU. Probably a guy that we pursue.

From Gerry and OTF:

"Basketball portal target 

The Texas Longhorns finished in the top three for Oklahoma State transfer big man Brandon Garrison out of high school. OnTexasFootball expects the Longhorns to make a run at the 6-11, 245 pound rim protector and physical inside defensive presence once again. There is a built in relationship with a number of members of the Texas staff, including Rodney Terry. Terry was point man on the recruitment coming out of high school."

He can't be worse than Onyema... At least Garrison seems like he can catch the ball and is even a lukewarm threat to score.

Edited by MuellerHorn
  • Hook 'Em 3

26 minutes ago, Sir Ulrich said:

Big news for the elite recruits we are/will be in on. Ron Holland would be a horn if this had been a year earlier

He probably would be at Arky in all honesty. It didn't seem like there was much momentum for top guys to Gleague Ignite this year anyways but good to eliminate the possibility

The Ignite really were only created to give kids an option to make money without having to leave the country. NIL has rendered it pointless, closing it down is the right call.

3 minutes ago, Teryor said:

He probably would be at Arky in all honesty. It didn't seem like there was much momentum for top guys to Gleague Ignite this year anyways but good to eliminate the possibility

Yeah, most people thought he was flipping to Arkansas when he first asked out of his letter of intent here.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, Lonestar88 said:

The Ignite really were only created to give kids an option to make money without having to leave the country. NIL has rendered it pointless, closing it down is the right call.

Also they were a failure

3 hours ago, bwub60 said:

Also they were a failure

Yeah, I don't think they were all that great at developing players, which is why the money was the only point. And why it now serves no purpose with NIL being as big as it is.

10 hours ago, Lonestar88 said:

Yeah, I don't think they were all that great at developing players, which is why the money was the only point. And why it now serves no purpose with NIL being as big as it is.

The NBA hates to develop players, they were probably the happiest with NIL because now they don't have to put any more money into it.

• Hook 'Em 1

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/zeke-mayo-1.html

Volume shooting undersized 2 is not the archetype I would have expected us to go for whatsoever but something to keep an eye on. Implies RT is happy to go to those 3 guard lineups again.

16 minutes ago, CashMcCoy said:

https://nbadraft.theringer.com/mock-draft

Shocking to read Mitchell picked 45th here. Would love to see it even though I’m doubtful. I don’t know how credible The Ringer’s mocks usually are, but they sure do look nice.

IMG_5985.thumb.jpeg.03dd6d224fafadf079bd5056e0ffd89e.jpeg

KOC is a bum, don't bother paying attention to him generally

Edited by Teryor
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, CashMcCoy said:

https://nbadraft.theringer.com/mock-draft

Shocking to read Mitchell picked 45th here. Would love to see it even though I’m doubtful. I don’t know how credible The Ringer’s mocks usually are, but they sure do look nice.

IMG_5985.thumb.jpeg.03dd6d224fafadf079bd5056e0ffd89e.jpeg

As a rabid Spurs fan I would love this pick. He has the athleticism, attitude, and potential that the Spurs could leverage while fixing his shooting and lack of impact. I’ve seen the Spurs fix the shot of tons of players. This would be great for Mitchell. 

• Hook 'Em 1