Texas Basketball Recruiting Notes: A Clean Shave

texifornia

13 minutes ago, Hornlover said:

Why would you go to Air Force if you're 6'7". They're not gonna let you fly the planes. (Chad Hennings notwithstanding). 

Very few airmen actually fly the planes. I took an OV there and I'm 6'6" because I wanted to work in intelligence. 

50 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Very few airmen actually fly the planes. I took an OV there and I'm 6'6" because I wanted to work in intelligence. 

Do you have to be smart to work in Intelligence?

• Haha 1

I struggle just looking at his profile deciding how good he is. Probably best or 2nd best player on a very bad team in a decent conference. Being able to have a positive net rating is a good sign but holy shit is this dude inconsistent. He has games of 0/8, 0/6, and 0/2 (in 39 minutes!!!) from the field which are insane disappearing acts for a teams leading scorer then followed it up with 27/26 points against CSU/UNM, 2 tourney teams. Would probably be happy if he's not expected to start and play in that 20-25 minute range. He actually has a teammate from Dallas that looks like a better fit for us.

This is a fun highlight for his season though: 

Edited by Teryor
  • Hook 'Em 1

8 hours ago, Teryor said:

Being able to have a positive net rating is a good sign but holy shit is this dude inconsistent. He has games of 0/8, 0/6, and 0/2 (in 39 minutes!!!) from the field....

Aside from having a better net rating than Tyrese Hunter, sounds frighteningly like him. 

On 4/8/2024 at 11:27 AM, Teryor said:

Gerry mentioned on OTF that we're after AJ Storr out of Wisconsin who I'd assume is one of if not the top prio for us.

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/aj-storr-1.html

I prefer my guards to average more than 0.9 assists per game.

Which of these guards would we rather take (both have been playing in a power conference):

• Player A:  11.1 PTS, 4.1 AST, 1.3 STL, 53.9 TS%, 51.0 eFG%, 34.3 3P%, 2.7 TO, 20.8 USG%
  • Player B:  16.8 PTS, 0.9 AST, 0.6 STL, 53.0 TS%, 48.2 eFG%, 32.0 3P%, 1.6 TO, 31.9 USG%

19 minutes ago, HookEm said:

I prefer my guards to average more than 0.9 assists per game.

Which of these guards would we rather take (both have been playing in a power conference):

• Player A:  11.1 PTS, 4.1 AST, 1.3 STL, 53.9 TS%, 51.0 eFG%, 34.3 3P%, 2.7 TO, 20.8 USG%
  • Player B:  16.8 PTS, 0.9 AST, 0.6 STL, 53.0 TS%, 48.2 eFG%, 32.0 3P%, 1.6 TO, 31.9 USG%

I'd take him if he's not playing the point and is a good team chemistry/glue guy.  That said, we still need a solid rim protector (or two) and primary ball handler type (and backup PG if Hunter is gone).  Regardless of who comes in through the portal, I hope we avoid the "you're the man... go make something happen" offense we ran too often with Abmas.

His stats read like someone who is a ball dominant gunner.  I haven't seen him play defense, but his stats don't point to him being a willing defender.  At all. If you are a 6'6 guard and average 0.1 blocks and 0.6 steals while sporting a 32% usage... Fuck you.  Not to mention only 2.6 rebounds.  These stats annoy me just looking at them.  I hate playing with players like this.  Hard pass.

56 minutes ago, VinyVango said:

I'd take him if he's not playing the point and is a good team chemistry/glue guy.  That said, we still need a solid rim protector (or two) and primary ball handler type (and backup PG if Hunter is gone).  Regardless of who comes in through the portal, I hope we avoid the "you're the man... go make something happen" offense we ran too often with Abmas.

I do get it, that he was definitely a selfish player, but he was also a selfish player who was the best player on a 5 seed that won their conference tourney. Wisconsin had one above average 3 point shooter and their strength was post players with limited/no range so you have limited opportunities in that sense. The number that really stands out to me is that he doesn't turn the ball over at all really for a guy with his usage. Obviously you hope he develops more as a passer but he's also got decent size for a wing and it's not an either/or proposition with Hunter, they're completely different positions. 

Just now, Hookem2147 said:

It was mentioned on IT that the staff is trying to line up some of the big portal visitors with the Spring Game next weekend

That is smart

Carey Booth did an interview and broke down the teams recruiting him and maybe he's not a priority but when this is the best you can say about RT/the program compared to the other schools well lmao

Illinois: “I can see the fit really well with them because they had a guy like Coleman Hawkins. He was used in a role I'd want to be in. Also Brad Underwood is a very seasoned coach who has done a lot of winning. They're just coming off a Big-10 championship and an Elite 8 run which I like.”

Colorado State: “They're more of a free flowing offense and just had back to back appearances in the NCAA tournament. Coach Medved knows what he's talking about. David Roddy just went to the league and was drafted by the Grizzlies and I feel like I can be used in a similar way as him. I can be used as a point forward who gets the ball and goes, makes plays and start the offense.”

Ohio State: “Ohio State is good as well. They got a new coach, coach Diebler. They had a good end to the season and started to play better offense and defense. When recruiting me, they showed a lot of interesting things statistically and guys in the past who were used in a way they’d use me.”

Texas: “I've talked with coach Terry a couple times on the phone and I've been talking with coach Ogden. They talk about the opportunity, what I'll be able to do there, the freedom I'll have, and  how much better my game could get.”

As Booth continues through the process, he knows exactly what he's looking for in a program.

I'm looking for opportunity, fit and a coach that believes in me,” he said. “Those are the three biggest things.”

5 minutes ago, CashMcCoy said:

Saw that, reminded me to sub to OTF. I definitely trust Gerry and haven’t seen anything else about a no contact tag since he first portaled. I believe.

Obviously means he's most likely going to one place (SLU) but it's not like it prevents him from talking to other schools, just that he has to make 1st contact which it seems like he's done

8 minutes ago, Teryor said:

Obviously means he's most likely going to one place (SLU) but it's not like it prevents him from talking to other schools, just that he has to make 1st contact which it seems like he's done

Guess I’m just used to seeing the “no contact” wording for guys who are 100% locked in on following their departing head coach. Him making first contact is great with me though.

4 minutes ago, Teryor said:

This is a guy who shined against weak competition. He could not hold up in the big 12 and def not in the sec schedule. He would be a defensive liability. 

18 minutes ago, utfan87 said:

This is a guy who shined against weak competition. He could not hold up in the big 12 and def not in the sec schedule. He would be a defensive liability. 

Maybe, maybe not - it depends on the team around him. He passes well and he shoots well and would probably be a very good player at PF as long as he can hold up guarding other PFs. He and his teammate and the South Florida guard would probably be a pretty decent start.

With that said, what is the nucleus of our team next year? Who is staying and what are their prospects as players in the SEC?

1 hour ago, Bevo said:

Maybe, maybe not - it depends on the team around him. He passes well and he shoots well and would probably be a very good player at PF as long as he can hold up guarding other PFs. He and his teammate and the South Florida guard would probably be a pretty decent start.

With that said, what is the nucleus of our team next year? Who is staying and what are their prospects as players in the SEC?

And you think RT is the guy you would trust to rebuild and entire roster?

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, utfan87 said:

agree, just like that kid from Northen Colorado who was horrible in D1.

32 minutes ago, BurntOrangeBlooded15 said:

Rando Twitter.  The names Texas has made contact with? 

Griffen info supposedly comes from Jamie Shaw at On3 but I can't find anything connecting Isaacs, Wolf, Youngblood, or Stojakovich. All of them are good  enough players and have no need to share any of the team contact info with reporters though

There's definitely a very big through line you can connect between players we're interested in and them growing up in state. 

Really don't want to be in the Pop Isaacs business after we just got done dealing with Arturio Morris's heinous shit

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/jayson-kent-1.html

Hadn't seen but this is Kent confirming he'll be here this weekend. Another take I'd like but wouldn't automatically assume he'd be the starter. 

Edited by Teryor
  • Hook 'Em 1

17 hours ago, utfan87 said:

Ignoring the Aggieness of thinking the SEC is somehow some mega conference you have to survive in basketball which it really isn't. Here are schools that starters from Final 4 teams began at: 

East Carolina

Loyola MD

Illinois State

Winthrop

Butler

Garden City CC

Ohio

St Peters

North Dakota State

Cal State Fullerton

Southern Illinois

But sure, the big Texas basketball program is too good for a guy who was the best player on an Indiana St team that should have made the tourney last year. And I'm sure you would rather have Dillon Mitchell on the floor, who can't shoot from beyond 2 feet, in crunch-time over a guy like Avila who can be an offensive hub.

• Hook 'Em 2

A basketball poster on the OU on3 site who seems to be reputable said that OSU met with Brandon Garrison yesterday and upped their NIL offer to 300k to try to get him to return. He apparently told OSU the offers he has been getting from other schools, including Texas, are at least 2x what OSU is offering. 

This is for a dude who, while extremely talented and has a ton of potential, averaged 7 points and 5 rebounds last year. Lines up with what Gerry has been saying on OTF about the asking prices being out of control this cycle.

Edited by Hookem2147

22 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

A basketball poster on the OU on3 site who seems to be reputable said that OSU met with Brandon Garrison yesterday and upped their NIL offer to 300k to try to get him to return. He apparently told OSU the offers he has been getting from other schools, including Texas, are at least 2x what OSU is offering. 

This is for a dude who, while extremely talented and has a ton of potential, averaged 7 points and 5 rebounds last year. Lines up with what Gerry has been saying on OTF about the asking prices being out of control this cycle.

Texas isn't offering 2x $300 if I had to bet. I'll see if I can get some fact based guidance but no promises.

• Hook 'Em 1

26 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

3 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Texas isn't offering 2x $300 if I had to bet. I'll see if I can get some fact based guidance but no promises.

Okay, yeah, I've confirmed that that isn't close to a valid number. 

• Hook 'Em 2

19 minutes ago, Teryor said:

Discusses his recruitment a little here 

Oregon State transfer Jordan Pope is one of the top guards in the portal and he has scheduled his first two visits.

The 6-foot-2 point guard will head to Texas on Tuesday (April 16th) and Texas A&M on Thursday (April 18th), a source told 247Sports.

The four-star transfer spoke with 247Sports to talk about his decision to transfer and what he's looking for in his next stop.

"Just looking forward to next season I wanted to be in a position to compete at the highest level and win," Pope said of his decision to enter the portal. "Looking forward, I want to compete at the highest level and compete for the highest prize and be on the highest platform to show the world I can do it on that level."

Coming out of high school, Pope had little recruitment, ultimately making a decision late into his senior year but now his recruitment is the exact opposite, hearing from many of the biggest schools in the country.

"It is definitely a tale of two stories," he said of the change. "Coming out of high school, I was highly under-recruited. I didn't have many schools contacting me so that made my decision at that time easier but compared to now I have been hit up by a lot of schools and the top head schools. It's definitely a good feeling that you are finally getting the recognition and respect you always felt you deserved. Now, I am just trying to take full advantage of the opportunities that lie ahead."

Since entering the portal, Pope told 247Sports he has heard from Texas, Florida, Texas A&M, Virginia, Baylor, UNC, Kansas, Arizona, Cal and many others.

"I am definitely interested in some of the Texas schools whether that be Baylor, Texas or Texas A&M," he said. "I am from the Bay Area so it's easy to do a Cal one [visit], Arizona has crossed my mind and obviously names like Kansas and UNC are big interests so doing something like that might definitely be worth it. I don't know who or where yet but soon I will."

What is he looking for in his next stop?

"My next stop is somewhere I want to be winning with me being a key factor and a big piece to winning," he said. "I plan to carry over what I did at Oregon State and bring that elsewhere and still have the production level and success I'd say as long as it is resulting in winning. Obviously, too, being taken care of off the court with NIL and all that goes on in college basketball now."

45 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Trilly is referring to that Trilly Donovan twitter account that has a lot of inside infoIMG_7917.thumb.jpeg.3efa9ec961fdbc21e5e1e79aed9c2550.jpeg

From Oklahoma's 247 site:

- We'll start with the name everyone wants to know about. Firmly believe Oklahoma could get the news it's been wanting for quite awhile as long as the current trend continues.

Brandon Garrison visits Norman today and going into this trip, all signs are pointing towards OU having a slight chance to close things down. There's layers to this, but several signs are pointing towards Norman being the potential landing spot.

First off, Garrison has met with new Oklahoma State men's basketball coach Steve Lutz a couple times. However, out of those meetings, there's not much that would lead many to believe behind the scenes a return to Stillwater is on the table. Garrison chose OSU largely because of Mike Boynton and there's some belief Garrison wasn't thrilled with the way things went down during Boynton's release. 

So, when he hopped in the portal, a program that quickly became linked to Garrison was Kansas. The Jayhawks were certainly in the mix and in communication, but KU has also kept involved with a few other bigs available in the portal. Right now, there's some belief that Kansas has cooled off a bit in this transfer recruitment and has accepted that to a degree.

So, all eyes turn to OU. Garrison grew up a Sooner fan and once he became available for transfer, Oklahoma making him chief priority right out of the gate certainly meant a lot. In speaking with sources, continued conversations have gone very well and there's a lot of optimism going into this visit. 

Oklahoma is certainly in the driver's seat here going into Garrison's appearance in Norman. But there's still some aspects of all this that have to get figured out, like the Name Image and Likeness front.

I'm led to believe that through the efforts of some related to Oklahoma's collective, the Sooners will likely be aggressive in the NIL efforts while trying to land Garrison. All this combines to to create quite the opportunity for OU and Garrison to become a very realistic partnership in the end, but the actual visit and in-person conversations still remain.

I'd like Garrison but I don't think he's worth treating as the #1 end all be all like Oklahoma is. Can probably allocate resources better elsewhere

7 minutes ago, Teryor said:

From Oklahoma's 247 site:

I'd like Garrison but I don't think he's worth treating as the #1 end all be all like Oklahoma is. Can probably allocate resources better elsewhere

So it sounds like OU is taking the NIL approach of 'let's just push all our chips in for one player'. I guess in their defense that is probably their best approach in a sport like basketball that probably gets very little support.