Tell me about UTRGV

perfectchaos007

A few years back, the UT system merged/consolidated UTPA and UT-Brownsville and formed UTRGV.

Also a few years back, former Texas football coach Mack Brown was hired to lead a study to determine the viability of having a football program for the school. Given the lack of news/movement since that study, I'm assuming there are still no plans to bring football to the valley. If anyone has updates on this, please share!

Anything else notable about this University based primarily in Edinburg? 

As others were mentioning a few years back, recruiting would be the most difficult aspect for having a football program in the valley. I just don't know if they would be able to put together a competitive program, even in the Southland conference which has some bad teams like HBU and Incarnate Word. After the newness of the program wears off in a couple of years, it's going to be very difficult to maintain local fan interest in the program after watching them only win 1 or 2 games per year. 

3 hours ago, perfectchaos007 said:

A few years back, the UT system merged/consolidated UTPA and UT-Brownsville and formed UTRGV.

Also a few years back, former Texas football coach Mack Brown was hired to lead a study to determine the viability of having a football program for the school. Given the lack of news/movement since that study, I'm assuming there are still no plans to bring football to the valley. If anyone has updates on this, please share!

Anything else notable about this University based primarily in Edinburg? 

My guess is that Mack was killing himself down there trying to lead this study and not at all just cashing a check.

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, perfectchaos007 said:

As others were mentioning a few years back, recruiting would be the most difficult aspect for having a football program in the valley. I just don't know if they would be able to put together a competitive program, even in the Southland conference which has some bad teams like HBU and Incarnate Word. After the newness of the program wears off in a couple of years, it's going to be very difficult to maintain local fan interest in the program after watching them only win 1 or 2 games per year. 

Last I heard, recruiting was at a record high. The concentration of talent was never higher. You could hardly tear the kids away from the place.

APP-062018-IMMIGRANT-DETENTION-005-1.jpg

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

they had a pretty big dispute over the name of the sports teams for the merged school as well some wanted to keep the UT-Pan Am name where most of the sports teams are and some wanted a fresh name and they went with a fresh name that is being called "racist" because it is Vaqueros......because yea Cowboys in Spanish is racist 🙄

former Tech/Alabama president Guy Bailey is in charge and should do a great job I am surprised UTSA did not try and hire him away, but the UT System generally does not take from within unlike the aggy system that often takes from within

he left Tech as a bit of a surprise, but Alabama was where he got his PhD and shortly after taking the job his wife had a terminal illness and he stepped down and Alabama was classy enough to keep him/her on benefits until she ended up passing away and then he was hired for UTRGV as the first president of the merged campuses and HSC

I doubt he is looking to boost athletics at UTRGV after seeing how things can become an issue and a distraction at Tech and after the whole team name thing at RGV......they have bigger issues to worry about like building up the HSC and getting the Brownsville campus squared away after breaking apart from Texas Southmost College

• Like 1

The mascot thing was a nightmare. UTB wanted to keep Ocelots and of course Pan-Am wanted to keep the Broncos. Then came the school colors, another shit show between campuses. Right now the Brownsville campus is growing and starting this fall semester the first major upgrades (buildings) will be ready for use. 

Like you said, Guy Bailey has a ton of other issues to deal with but I don’t believe the business with TSC is one. With the new bldgs being operational they no longer have to lease the other bldgs like SET-B anymore. 

1 hour ago, ButtFumble said:

they had a pretty big dispute over the name of the sports teams for the merged school as well some wanted to keep the UT-Pan Am name where most of the sports teams are and some wanted a fresh name and they went with a fresh name that is being called "racist" because it is Vaqueros......because yea Cowboys in Spanish is racist 🙄

former Tech/Alabama president Guy Bailey is in charge and should do a great job I am surprised UTSA did not try and hire him away, but the UT System generally does not take from within unlike the aggy system that often takes from within

he left Tech as a bit of a surprise, but Alabama was where he got his PhD and shortly after taking the job his wife had a terminal illness and he stepped down and Alabama was classy enough to keep him/her on benefits until she ended up passing away and then he was hired for UTRGV as the first president of the merged campuses and HSC

I doubt he is looking to boost athletics at UTRGV after seeing how things can become an issue and a distraction at Tech and after the whole team name thing at RGV......they have bigger issues to worry about like building up the HSC and getting the Brownsville campus squared away after breaking apart from Texas Southmost College

I guess they are mad about the San Diego Padres name too?

3 hours ago, ChingoHorns said:

The mascot thing was a nightmare. UTB wanted to keep Ocelots and of course Pan-Am wanted to keep the Broncos. Then came the school colors, another shit show between campuses. Right now the Brownsville campus is growing and starting this fall semester the first major upgrades (buildings) will be ready for use. 

Like you said, Guy Bailey has a ton of other issues to deal with but I don’t believe the business with TSC is one. With the new bldgs being operational they no longer have to lease the other bldgs like SET-B anymore. 

The Ocelots was a badass mascot and before that IIRC they were the Scorpions which is also a good one.  The Bronco is just over used it needed to be scrapped.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, ChingoHorns said:

I Thought UTB's mascot was the Scorpions....or was that the Southmost College's mascot??

9 hours ago, perfectchaos007 said:

I Thought UTB's mascot was the Scorpions....or was that the Southmost College's mascot??

UTB/TSC’s mascot was the Scorpions but when they separated TSC kept the mascot and all the buildings on one side of Ringgold Rd including the REK center. UTB took the other bldgs and changed to the Ocelots which wasn’t bad in my eyes. 

I vaguely remember the final 5 mascot options when we were given the survey but Sharks, Vaqueros and Aztecs are the ones I do remember. 

2 hours ago, dingleberryswitzer said:

The fact that no team in Texas, at any level, is called the chupacabras, is a damp travesty.  If I'm wrong on that,  please tell me, as I would instantly purchase a new ball cap 

http://www.kxan.com/sports/round-rock-express-becoming-chupacabras-for-event-honoring-latino-heritage-in-baseball/1063262399

4 hours ago, dingleberryswitzer said:

The fact that no team in Texas, at any level, is called the chupacabras, is a damp travesty.  If I'm wrong on that,  please tell me, as I would instantly purchase a new ball cap 

Brain Biotano could be the honorary coach of all sports: (I think he fought a chupacabra, or was it Kubla Khan..?)

19 hours ago, ChingoHorns said:

The mascot thing was a nightmare. UTB wanted to keep Ocelots and of course Pan-Am wanted to keep the Broncos. Then came the school colors, another shit show between campuses.

I may or may not be Solomon, or damp, but seems like they should have gone with Ocelots and Pan-Am's colors.

An article on the safety of the campus near Rio Grande Valley:

Is the Border in Crisis? ‘We’re Doing Fine, Quite Frankly,’ a Border City Mayor Says

By Manny Fernandez and Linda Qiu

• June 23, 2018

BROWNSVILLE, Tex. — The mayor of this Texas border city has been dealing with a crisis.

This week, he declared a state of emergency. Drones filled the skies and emergency vehicles raced down the streets. But none of it had anything to do with illegal immigration.

It had to do with the weather.

A severe thunderstorm caused widespread flooding throughout the Rio Grande Valley in recent days. That other crisis — the one President Trump says has been unfolding on the border because of illegal immigration — is largely a fiction, the mayor, Tony Martinez, and other Brownsville residents and leaders said.

“There is not a crisis in the city of Brownsville with regards to safety and security,” said Mr. Martinez, who has lived in Brownsville since the late 1970s. “There’s no gunfire. Most of the people that are migrating are from Central America. It’s not like they’re coming over here to try to take anybody’s job. They’re trying to just save their own lives. We’re doing fine, quite frankly.”

Mr. Martinez is a Democrat in a mainly conservative state, and many Republicans in Texas, like Mr. Trump, have raised an alarm over the numbers of migrants still flowing into Texas. But there is evidence, in federal data and on the ground in places like Brownsville that the immigration crisis Mr. Trump has cited over the past week to justify the separation of families is actually no crisis at all.

3 minutes ago, kopp0e said:

An article on the safety of the campus near Rio Grande Valley:

I agree 100% with that article. Brownsville compared to other border towns is a safe haven. I’ve lived here going on 6 years and compared to Austin  and San Antonio crime here is minimal. 

On a different subject flooding here is fucking crazy. When we bought our home I had to raise my backyard 9” so that my yard wouldn’t flood but that did no good cause 2 of the 3 outlets out of my subdivision flood enough that you’ll catch a few cars stranded there till the water recedes. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, ChingoHorns said:

I agree 100% with that article. Brownsville compared to other border towns is a safe haven. I’ve lived here going on 6 years and compared to Austin  and San Antonio crime here is minimal. 

On a different subject flooding here is fucking crazy. When we bought our home I had to raise my backyard 9” so that my yard wouldn’t flood but that did no good cause 2 of the 3 outlets out of my subdivision flood enough that you’ll catch a few cars stranded there till the water recedes. 

Damn, stay safe (due to the irrigation), but I have no doubt that the people of the region are great, as my daughter was in the area about a year ago with family & said good things...

The only thing that I have yet to get used to is watching a constant presence of Border Patrol in and around campus. Here at the Brownsville campus the school is literally on the border. Before they shut down the Fort Brown golf course on campus there would be signs all over to “Not Hit Golf Balls Into Mexico” of course everybody tried to knock those shits over the river. 

1 minute ago, kopp0e said:

Damn, stay safe (due to the irrigation), but I have no doubt that the people of the region are great, as my daughter was in the area about a year ago with family & said good things...

I’m not gonna lie man, when I ets’d outta the Army in the fall of 2012 I tried everything in my power to not move down here.  But since the wife followed me everywhere the good ol Army sent me I had to do her a solid and move back to her hometown for a “few” years. Those few years turned into 6 and from the looks of it we’ll be down here a little longer since she got accepted to PA school but we’ll move to the McAllen area since all the courses will be on the Edinburg campus. 

The flooding doesn’t affect us much, we went a bought a Jeep in 2015 and lifted that bad boy. We’ve been able to help some stranded folks here and there around the neighborhood though. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ChingoHorns said:

I’m not gonna lie man, when I ets’d outta the Army in the fall of 2012 I tried everything in my power to not move down here.  But since the wife followed me everywhere the good ol Army sent me I had to do her a solid and move back to her hometown for a “few” years. Those few years turned into 6 and from the looks of it we’ll be down here a little longer since she got accepted to PA school but we’ll move to the McAllen area since all the courses will be on the Edinburg campus. 

The flooding doesn’t affect us much, we went a bought a Jeep in 2015 and lifted that bad boy. We’ve been able to help some stranded folks here and there around the neighborhood though. 

It' is an honor to tell you & your family thank you for your service sir..! #Above&BeyondTheCallOfDuty..!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ChingoHorns said:

The only thing that I have yet to get used to is watching a constant presence of Border Patrol in and around campus. Here at the Brownsville campus the school is literally on the border. Before they shut down the Fort Brown golf course on campus there would be signs all over to “Not Hit Golf Balls Into Mexico” of course everybody tried to knock those shits over the river. 

That's not the golf course that was featured on the daily show last year was it? There was a story about how Trump's wall was going to go right through the course and the owner couldn't give a shit.

@kopp0e thank you for those kind words. If I could do it all over again I would without hesistation! My wife hates it but I keep my A and B bag always packed and ready to go just in case lol

@perfectchaos007 that is the same golf course. It’s sandwiched between the REK Center (gym) and the main parking lot for the UTRGV Brownsville campus. 

15 minutes ago, ChingoHorns said:

@kopp0e thank you for those kind words. If I could do it all over again I would without hesistation! My wife hates it but I keep my A and B bag always packed and ready to go just in case lol

@perfectchaos007 that is the same golf course. It’s sandwiched between the REK Center (gym) and the main parking lot for the UTRGV Brownsville campus. 

Dang so that course has been shut down permanently? I'll never get the chance to hit golf balls into Mexico :(

14 hours ago, ChingoHorns said:

2 out of 3 you say? Dang that sounds down right horrible.

1528203920-Hurricane-Forecast.jpg?auto=f

2015_Houston_Flood-Travis_St_Bridge_2.jp

unnamed-158c8cd2.jpeg?ver=1524687738&asp

Fun fact: Those are 3 different floods from three different years! Yeah Houston.

36 minutes ago, Dnaguy said:

2 out of 3 you say? Dang that sounds down right horrible.

1528203920-Hurricane-Forecast.jpg?auto=f

2015_Houston_Flood-Travis_St_Bridge_2.jp

unnamed-158c8cd2.jpeg?ver=1524687738&asp

Fun fact: Those are 3 different floods from three different years! Yeah Houston.

H-Town has been hit hard these past few years. Its horrible! Luckily Brownsville hasn’t hit those flood levels yet. Most of the city is a flood plain but since there are no rivers running through the city we don’t have to worry about those rising waters. 

We do have Resacas ( billibongs/oxbow lakes) scattered everywhere but they don’t do much damage. 

17 hours ago, ChingoHorns said:

The valley has almost every reason to be a crime-infested shithole, but it's just not and never has been. To be honest I really don't even know why. 

High school football is a huge deal down there, despite the lack of talent. That said I don't see college football ever working, especially given the rough future of the sport itself over the next few decades. 

On 6/21/2018 at 6:20 PM, ButtFumble said:

I remember many people being pissed at the "UTRGV" name change. "UT-South" was the far better name candidate and would've sounded more attractive to students not from the area. Calling the sports teams the Vaqueros was the icing on the cake and what got people upset. It reeked of "oh these hispanic people will like this name, just because it's in spanish". Pretty much everyone I know down there hates it. Just look at all the high school mascots down there, which are picked by the local community. Not a Spanish name among them. 

UT Pan Am alum here! #GoBroncs (not Broncos).

So the thing with the name isn't just that it's a Spanish word, although that's definitely part of it.  There was an official survey sent out, and "Phoenix" was the overwhelming favorite chosen by students/alumni. They decided to completely ignore that and go with Vaqueros. On top of that, many students saw this as a board/president of old white people who have never spent any time in the RGV trying way too hard. The perception was that the leadership basically said "Forget the survey, let's go with Va-va-va-qwhere-os, because it's a Spanish word and these people speak Spanish." It was not well received at all. 

Edited by TheBryMan81