Texas Rangers 2023 - They're Still Shitty?

ztejas

4 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:
1 hour ago, cmontexas said:
Its disconcerting that the umpire wasn't watching. Like what else was the 2nd base umpire doing on that play. If not for replay Altuve would have still been on first after taking a 3-1 fastball down the middle for ball 4. Those 2 instances plus the run taken off the board from Jung's walk before Taveras HR.
We have to continue to be that much better than these clowns. 

Yeah I don't get that at all. Ump at 2nd had literally no other job to do on that fly out to Carter except make sure the runner hits the base before advancing or going back. He was looking right at it and didn't say shit. Luckily we have replay to correct this junk.

Electronic ump behind home and sensors in the bags and laser sights along the lines. All these fuckups can be corrected but turdition demands we keep getting human error because otherwise baseball us ruined.

Navigating by the sun and stars was fun too, but I like online maps myself.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Electronic ump behind home and sensors in the bags and laser sights along the lines. All these fuckups can be corrected but turdition demands we keep getting human error because otherwise baseball us ruined.
Navigating by the sun and stars was fun too, but I like online maps myself.
Robo strike zone can't get here fast enough. But yeah, the baseball purists will be very upset with that. They think the umps having these fucked up zones is the beauty of the game. Nah. A strike should be a strike. It shouldn't be dependent on what the ump feels like calling that day. And each team might get a different zone that can affect the outcome.

Hell, the baseball purists were against replay as well. It's there for the exact reason we saw last night. To keep these umps in check.
  • Hook 'Em 1

So blue missed 7 calls, the two most impactful were against Texas (and were obviously bad in real time), and I’d guess 5 or 6 of the 7 were detrimental to Texas.  
not that there was an agenda, but it would have been frustrating to lose a close game with the misses skewed against us like that. 

There’s no cf umpire, so I’d assume the 2b umpire is responsible for fly balls in center?  Or do the two OF umps on the lines get all the outfield calls? LF umpire might not have even been able to see the play. 

and it’s not clear above, but it’s not the umpire’s job to call altuve out there when he sees him miss the base. The team has to tag him or otherwise appeal to generate a call. It’s an umpire’s job to see that it happened to be able to make the correct call. In the broadcast it seemed to go right to replay without showing a call on the field. I assume they tagged him and got a safe call?

7 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

I assume they tagged him and got a safe call?

Applied the force at 2nd but yes, they did.

I'm not sure a call was actually made on the field, though. I think they just saw Semien touch 2nd and then reviewed it. 

Edited by ztejas

7 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

and it’s not clear above, but it’s not the umpire’s job to call altuve out there when he sees him miss the base. The team has to tag him or otherwise appeal to generate a call. It’s an umpire’s job to see that it happened to be able to make the correct call. In the broadcast it seemed to go right to replay without showing a call on the field. I assume they tagged him and got a safe call?

Semien stomps on the base and can be seen talking to the ump, basically explaining his job to him. Then they went to replay. 

• Hook 'Em 2

28 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Applied the force at 2nd but yes, they did.

I'm not sure a call was actually made on the field, though. I think they just saw Semien touch 2nd and then reviewed it. 

i thought blue made the 'safe' signal after Marcus touched the bag.  

Just now, futureman said:

?

speculation based on him not starting vs LHP i guess. 

1 hour ago, Vic Mackey said:

Hell, the baseball purists were against replay as well. It's there for the exact reason we saw last night. To keep these umps in check.

Same thing with the pitch clock. 8 (?) years ago when this started getting implemented in the minors purists bitched about how it would ‘ruin the game’; after 1 season in MLB, there’s not one person who doesn’t feel like it made the games better.

• Like 1

I’ll take the unpopular position of liking balls and strikes being called by a human.  Yesterday very much tested that belief though. 

but I do like pitch clock.  I do like banning shifts.  I do like bigger bases.  

don’t like auto IBB, don’t like 3 batter minimum.  Don’t like NL DH. 

still up in the air on no blocking the plate  

I like replay on the sorts of stuff it is allowed for.  Don’t like it for the sorts of stuff it isn’t.  I think theyve got a good balance right now.  Catchers are a cool mix of different talents.  Part of those talents are tied up in a human ump.  Among other reasons.  

1 hour ago, BehoId, The Underminer! said:

I’ll take the unpopular position of liking balls and strikes being called by a human.  Yesterday very much tested that belief though. 

but I do like pitch clock.  I do like banning shifts.  I do like bigger bases.  

don’t like auto IBB, don’t like 3 batter minimum.  Don’t like NL DH. 

still up in the air on no blocking the plate  

I like replay on the sorts of stuff it is allowed for.  Don’t like it for the sorts of stuff it isn’t.  I think theyve got a good balance right now.  Catchers are a cool mix of different talents.  Part of those talents are tied up in a human ump.  Among other reasons.  

I happen to believe that the vertical zone shouldn’t change for batters of different height.  Width is set, upper and lower limit should be set as well.  Throw it in the box, it’s a strike whether it’s Ritchie sexton hitting or Jose altuve or willie keeler. 

4 minutes ago, Jameslaw121 said:

There are some tickets going for $35 for the game today. Kinda curious to see if there will be some in that price range if we have a game on Friday.

http://gametime.co/mlb-baseball/alcs-rangers-at-astros-g-2-hg-2-tickets/10-16-2023-houston-tx-minute-maid-park/events/64c2a88ce2889b0001b58f72

I'm assuming you mean if we play Fri afternoon.

And no - there is zero chance anyone is getting in the building for less than $100 gm 4. 

4 minutes ago, ztejas said:

I'm assuming you mean if we play Fri afternoon.

And no - there is zero chance anyone is getting in the building for less than $100 gm 4. 

yeah. I said if we have a game on Friday.

I guess I have to decide whether I want to spend $100+ on tickets. Or stay at home and spend $100+ on whiskey and snacks....

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Jameslaw121 said:

yeah. I said if we have a game on Friday.

Got it - I was thinking game 4 would be Friday not game 5. 

The reason today's tickets are cheap is because it's a Monday afternoon. Also HOU has been to the ALCS every year for awhile. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Jameslaw121 said:

I admit, I did not believe you and looked myself. That's so strange

Assuming Framber doesn’t spin a CG, this lineup actually makes sense. Evan is 1-15 against lefties, then he’s in the minute Framber is done. 

There will also be fewer balls hit to LF against Nate than there were against Monty. 

• Hook 'Em 1