Moving to Honolulu

NWBuck

We've covered Hawaii in a couple of places here already, including a relocation thread. So, I thought this might be the best place to add this...

Interviewing for a gig in Honolulu, and would appreciate any insight that the hivemind might provide.

I know it's expensive as hell, even in comparison to living in Seattle, and I'm not sure about the process of relocating everything across the ocean. But... it's a pretty good opportunity to work with someone I admire, and I'm obviously looking for another gig.

So, Surly Kupunas... what wisdom do you have?

• Hook 'Em 1

I’m 7 months here on Maui and love it. Can’t speak to Oahu as I haven’t been (first trip over starts tomorrow actually) but I know it is very different than here with an actual city and nightlife. It’s fucking expensive, but outside of housing you can adapt your lifestyle to make it work. I’m in the black compared to my life in Fort Worth and the financial jump from Seattle won’t be nearly as much. Making friends is difficult unless you join something social, everyone is a local who doesn’t want to be your friend or a tourist who won’t be there long enough. I’m pretty antisocial as I have enough friends at home and have a hot wife who makes friends for us so I’m fine with it. Island fever hasn’t hit me yet but I’ve had a lot of visitors over the past few months, once that slows down we’ll see. Only thing I miss so far is night life but again Oahu has that. Company organized getting all my shit over but it didn’t seem like that big of a deal, just gotta pay. Overall so far it’s the best decision I’ve ever made.

Edited by Hank_Hill
  • Hook 'Em 3

I moved back to a great place on the mainland several years ago and only miss Honolulu every single day. We still have our place there and I get back as often as I can.

Most people that move to HI from the mainland relocate back to the mainland after an average of 7 years. I think it's mostly because they miss things on the mainland you can't get in Hawaii, and because making new friendships and kinships is tough. I've heard all of the tropes that locals are prejudiced against haoles (whites) but that's BS. I've never felt more kinship anywhere else. It's a shock to some mainlanders, but turns out that taking over a sovereign nation for business and military interests doesn't endear you to the local population. So it takes a long time to build trust. Hawaii is not your playground. It's a former nation with its own language, culture, religion, everything. So tread with humility and interest in Hawaiian life and history and you'll be welcomed in time. 

You just have to embrace Hawaii on its own terms. You want barbecue? Better start liking Korean bbq. You want college football? Better love the Rainbow Warriors or get ready to watch games at 6am. You want culture? You get hula festivals and outrigger canoe competitions. So if you move there, you have to embrace it rather than dwell on the things you don't have there -- otherwise you'll get island fever and start looking for a way back.

pm me if you want more info

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

Thanks for the updates and insights, all... The gig would be downtown, pretty close to the Iolani Palace and right on the Honolulu harbor.

'Preciate the recommendations about Hawaii on its own terms... I think that's a bit of a selling point, to be honest, since I tend to do pretty well finding a place and looking to connect/fit in without all the "what this needs is...." How I would manage that longer term, though, is up for debate.

Another curveball is the possibility that the Mrs. would stay in the Northwest so the kiddo can graduate (doesn't do well with transitions). So, it could be an interesting two years- which makes the comments about making social connections a bit concerning.

However, if I follow the sage advice given by other fine members of this esteemed community... I might be OK.

Magnum Pi GIF - Find & Share on GIPHY

• Hook 'Em 3

Moving out solo would have been hard for me personally due to the social aspect but I’m not great at initiation. I’m amazing in a group setting, but left to my own devices I don’t try very hard to spark connections (something I’m working on actually). Anyway, I know plenty of people here who moved out solo and have a great network, it just takes a little bit of effort. Lots of things to join up in (hike/surf/outrigger/scuba/beach volley/etc. clubs). A lot of said people moved from the PNW as well actually and have no intention of going back. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Lived on the North Shore March and April last year. It was amazing. Great poke at the Waialua General Store, and every wednesday they would grill outside and I would get their steak plate for like $10. Paalaa Kai Mini-Mart and pick up some spicy shrimp rolls. I became addicted to them. They do not skimp on the shrimp and they are not dry like some you will find. Eat at Aiea Bowl. A bowling alley with great food. At least get a side of their Tasty Chicken. Their desserts are unreal too. The best garlic shrimp I had was at Ted's Bakery. Unfortunately did not find that out until right before we left. Also like their chicken katsu. Leonard's Bakery is highly hyped for their malasadas, and they live up to it. Their main bakery always has a line out the door, but they have some trucks around town that don't have the long wait. Go to the Haleiwa Joe's in Kaneohe and get the prime rib. But share it. It is huge. I had loco moco at 4 or 5 different places, but don't remember who had the best. The first was at Kaneohe Pancake House and I do remember it being way too much food and very good.

There are beautiful beaches everywhere. We would end up every late afternoon at Aweoweo Beach because is was about 5 minutes from our airbnb and was so peaceful with minimal people. On weekends we would go over to Kailua and Lanakai Beaches. I honestly like the beaches on Oahu better than Maui.

• Hook 'Em 3

10 hours ago, po elvis said:

Lived on the North Shore March and April last year. It was amazing. Great poke at the Waialua General Store, and every wednesday they would grill outside and I would get their steak plate for like $10. Paalaa Kai Mini-Mart and pick up some spicy shrimp rolls. I became addicted to them. They do not skimp on the shrimp and they are not dry like some you will find. Eat at Aiea Bowl. A bowling alley with great food. At least get a side of their Tasty Chicken. Their desserts are unreal too. The best garlic shrimp I had was at Ted's Bakery. Unfortunately did not find that out until right before we left. Also like their chicken katsu. Leonard's Bakery is highly hyped for their malasadas, and they live up to it. Their main bakery always has a line out the door, but they have some trucks around town that don't have the long wait. Go to the Haleiwa Joe's in Kaneohe and get the prime rib. But share it. It is huge. I had loco moco at 4 or 5 different places, but don't remember who had the best. The first was at Kaneohe Pancake House and I do remember it being way too much food and very good.

There are beautiful beaches everywhere. We would end up every late afternoon at Aweoweo Beach because is was about 5 minutes from our airbnb and was so peaceful with minimal people. On weekends we would go over to Kailua and Lanakai Beaches. I honestly like the beaches on Oahu better than Maui.

Windward beaches are generally the best for a relaxing beach day on Oahu, all the way from Bellows to Lanikai. 

+rep for Aiea Bowl. Also great food at Moku Kitchen, Liliha Bakery (cream puffs), 1938 Indochine (Vietnamese), Highway Inn (Hawaiian), Side Street Inn (Hawaiian), Ginza Bairin Tonkatsu (Japanese pork), Teddy's (burgers), Ted's Bakery (chocolate haupia pie), Lanikai Juice (smoothies), Da Cove Bar (açaí bowls), Phuket Thai (Thai), Diamond Head Farmer's Market on Saturday mornings. Surprisingly the Foodland Farms grocery store at Ala Moana has a ton of legit food to go. Thai, Korean, Japanese, and Chinese are good pretty much all over the island.

Any hole in the wall with a half-dozen different ramshackle menus hanging up by the kitchen is gonna be good:

6264695ea2eeae22a289c4fde173a43e.jpg

pongo-s-counter.jpg

• Like 1

On 2/12/2023 at 1:26 AM, NWBuck said:

Thanks for the updates and insights, all... The gig would be downtown, pretty close to the Iolani Palace and right on the Honolulu harbor.

'Preciate the recommendations about Hawaii on its own terms... I think that's a bit of a selling point, to be honest, since I tend to do pretty well finding a place and looking to connect/fit in without all the "what this needs is...." How I would manage that longer term, though, is up for debate.

Another curveball is the possibility that the Mrs. would stay in the Northwest so the kiddo can graduate (doesn't do well with transitions). So, it could be an interesting two years- which makes the comments about making social connections a bit concerning.

However, if I follow the sage advice given by other fine members of this esteemed community... I might be OK.

Magnum Pi GIF - Find & Share on GIPHY

Good luck with this move! I hope that you are able to find a way to have your family all together for this, but if not I think you will have a great time there until you can sort it out. You are getting some pretty cool advice here as well.

Eh, beach wise it’s a tough comparison to make. Really depends what you’re looking for. Beaches so far have obviously been great here, just different. The island itself is definitely prettier, greener and more mountainous. It’s like the whole island is an accessible Hana which is a tough area to get to in Maui. Traffic is no joke here though.

Edited by Hank_Hill

On 2/9/2023 at 2:56 PM, Your Mom said:

I spent the mid-90’s getting drunk at Moose McGillicuddy’s in Waikiki most weekends.   Don’t really remember much that would be of any use to you. 

Ha ha- stayed at a condo down the street from there a few months ago and would walk by it frequently. that place is sketchy as hell these days.

Lanikai may be my favorite beach in the world. my wife loves 3 tables on the North Shore.

I had the opportunity to relocate to Honolulu a few years but ultimately turned it down mostly because we love to travel to Europe and around the country and a home base on Oahu would make that much more difficult. I still make it out there once or twice a year for work. I don't know that I could live there permanently. 

• 5 months later...

I will not likely get to do this until next fall, but I am ready to go off the mainland and live in Hawaii. A friend I have known since grade school has lived on Oahu since leaving the Marines for a civilian job at Hickam 20 years ago. He loves it and is going to help me settle into life there. 

New York has been awesome, and while I enjoy the creature comforts that come with having the world at your fingertips here, I am ready for a quieter existence with much more life being lived in nature. The closest I get to nature is Central Park since I am right next to it.