2023 College Baseball Showdown Weekend Thread

Horny Bull

Just now, WBT said:

Tied at 5 through 7 despite them outhitting us 12-4.

To be fair, we've allowed 2 BBs and 1 HBP and they've given us 8 and 1.

Yea I called it a few days ago but hitting is going to be a big issue this year.  I know they lost a lot but it’s Texas and Pierce should have been able to reload more hitting talent.  

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, ClubWhatever said:

I think that will eventually be fine.  I don’t think the offense will be fine.  I think Pierce really dropped the ball on that.  

Maybe. We'll see.

I don't think an early season tournament like this is the best way to fairly rate these new hitters.

11 minutes ago, WBT said:

Vandy gave up 11 and 9 runs yesterday and today. Maybe the bats break out tomorrow and we take our first lead of the season?

That's my hope.

But obviously we are also breaking in a new starting pitcher as well. Yes I know Sthele technically started some games on starter by committee days but that is not the same thing.

So Texas is 0-2 and each loss was by 1 run.

Arkansas is the number 6 team in the country.

We are likely going to get ass-raped by Vandy tomorrow.

However, this team is very young and they will get better every time out.

Nerves played a big part in these losses. That should resolve by mid-March.

Does it look like sloppy baseball compared to last year?

Of course, we lost Melendez, Messinger, Ardoin, Hodo, Faltine and 33% of our rotation.  Not to mention, the guys with experience who transferred. 

When you replace the best player in the country, one of the best catchers to play at Texas in the modern era  and a 3B with 4 years experience with freshman, it won't look the same.

There are going to be growing pains for sure but it isn't a throw away season.

Campbell will come around. Hopefully Daly will pull his head out and return to 2021 form. If those dudes would just drive in runs or get on base, these two games end differently.

I dont expect this team to get to Omaha but it won't be 2019 either.

• Hook 'Em 4

16 minutes ago, Cousin Strawberry said:

So Texas is 0-2 and each loss was by 1 run.

Arkansas is the number 6 team in the country.

We are likely going to get ass-raped by Vandy tomorrow.

However, this team is very young and they will get better every time out.

Nerves played a big part in these losses. That should resolve by mid-March.

Does it look like sloppy baseball compared to last year?

Of course, we lost Melendez, Messinger, Ardoin, Hodo, Faltine and 33% of our rotation.  Not to mention, the guys with experience who transferred. 

When you replace the best player in the country, one of the best catchers to play at Texas in the modern era  and a 3B with 4 years experience with freshman, it won't look the same.

There are going to be growing pains for sure but it isn't a throw away season.

Campbell will come around. Hopefully Daly will pull his head out and return to 2021 form. If those dudes would just drive in runs or get on base, these two games end differently.

I dont expect this team to get to Omaha but it won't be 2019 either.

That and we ass-blasted everyone the first 11 games last year and 2 and q'ed in Omaha.

Year before, we got ass-blasted in the opening tournament and for a while thereafter and finished third in the nation, losing squeakers to the national champion.

We'll see.

• Hook 'Em 2