2023 Houston Astros Thread

Planet Houston

1 minute ago, cabowabo said:

Tucker pulled up on that ball. 

Almost once a week now. Laying out, not dangerous. Slamming into the wall, dangerous. It’s that simple Astros outfielders. 

Playing Montero in high leverage situations feels more Bagwell/Ceane than Dusty. Even Dusty can see this guy is washed. 

6 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Seriously- what was the best signing this off-season?

Montero 3/36?

Brantley 12M for no games?

Abreu- 3/58.5? 

it’s amazeballs  how bad this shit went 

Montero has a very good 2022, that made sense.  

Old injured Unkle Mike was a mistake

Abreu, old and declining but everyone thought better than an even older and declining Yuli. 

What can we do? Who thought Maton would be ace and Montero poop?  Baseball is nuts. 

5 minutes ago, Make em eat Taco Bell said:

Montero has a very good 2022, that made sense.  

Old injured Unkle Mike was a mistake

Abreu, old and declining but everyone thought better than an even older and declining Yuli. 

What can we do? Who thought Maton would be ace and Montero poop?  Baseball is nuts. 

Montero didn’t make sense - 1 good year isn’t worth 3/36 and it was always stupid. 

1 minute ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Montero didn’t make sense - 1 good year isn’t worth 3/36 and it was always stupid. 

he's very overpaid but still made sense to keep him. Should be about $3-4 mil a year at most not $11.  Should have let him go at that price. 

Edited by Make em eat Taco Bell

The 97.5 4 pm guys made a pretty good point that middle relievers are wildly inconsistent from year to year. And then they went through Montero’s season splits. Basically dogshit in every year except for his final season in Texas and last year with the Astros. 

Long story short. They shouldn’t have paid him. 

• Hook 'Em 1

39 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Seriously- what was the best signing this off-season?

Montero 3/36?

Brantley 12M for no games?

Abreu- 3/58.5? 

it’s amazeballs  how bad this shit went 

Hopefully, Crane lets Brown have more power than the three idiots that managed this past off-season. What really sucks about Abreu is that Crane has never shown the balls to cut bait on a horrible signing. The Astros have 2 or 3 promising prospects in the minors that could likely hit better than Abreu right now and play at the very least comprable defense, likely much better. 

21 minutes ago, Hank Chinaski said:

Reminder that Crane decided it was a good idea to not have a GM this past off-season and he Jerry Jonsed his way to singing Abreu, Brantley and Montero.

Crane following the Jones's playbook to a tee on how to fuck up the greatest thing going.

The lack of urgency is concerning. Continuing to put Montero in high leverage situations and playing Abreu everyday, and Maldy almost everyday isn’t a winning formula. 

They’re looking up at a Texas team with pretty decent pitching and a good lineup. I know we haven’t played them yet, but I think the Rangers are here to stay this season. It’s not like they can wait until the All Star Break and finally make adjustments. If we’re 7-8 games back in July, that’s a steep hill to climb. 

Easy, no fuss adjustments: 

- Play Montero only in blowouts until he figures it out. Replace him with Mr Robot in high leverage situations.

- Rookies get Diaz. Vets get Maldy. No questions asked.

- Phantom Abreu IL stint. Send him to a spa in the Caribbean for 10 days. Call up a warm body to play first and platoon him with Diaz on days he’s not catching. 

My hat is off to Bielak. He pitched well enough to win. I did not seem him being better as a starter coming. 

4 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

Hopefully, Crane lets Brown have more power than the three idiots that managed this past off-season. What really sucks about Abreu is that Crane has never shown the balls to cut bait on a horrible signing. The Astros have 2 or 3 promising prospects in the minors that could likely hit better than Abreu right now and play at the very least comprable defense, likely much better. 

Names of prospects? 

3 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

The lack of urgency is concerning. Continuing to put Montero in high leverage situations and playing Abreu everyday, and Maldy almost everyday isn’t a winning formula. 

They’re looking up at a Texas team with pretty decent pitching and a good lineup. I know we haven’t played them yet, but I think the Rangers are here to stay this season. It’s not like they can wait until the All Star Break and finally make adjustments. If we’re 7-8 games back in July, that’s a steep hill to climb. 

Every day this continues feels more and more like 2016.

if the starting pitching starts shitting the bed when the offense is putting up 5-6 a game after Altuve gets back, look out.

5 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

- Play Montero only in blowouts until he figures it out. Replace him with Mr Robot in high leverage situations.

- Phantom Abreu IL stint. Send him to a spa in the Caribbean for 10 days. Call up a warm body to play first and platoon him with Diaz on days he’s not catching. 

My hat is off to Bielak. He pitched well enough to win. I did not seem him being better as a starter coming. 

Names of prospects? 

I imagine he’s talking about Gilbert. 

Names of prospects? 

You lost me at “haven’t played them yet”. Bye.

1 hour ago, Wulaw Horn said:

I imagine he’s talking about Gilbert. 

Not in regards to 1B, but Gilbert should be get called up at the end of May. I was talking about Wagner and Luperfido. Collin Barber is another name to know at AA.

Barber - 22 years old, .943 OPS, 4th round pick in 2019. His OPS has improved every season. Corner OF only.

Wagner - 24 years old, 1.106 OPS, 18th round pick in 2021 from Liberty, Billy's kid. He was injured but just recently came back. Has put up 2 solid seasons. Corner IF.

Luperfido - 24 years old, .982 OPS, 7th round pick in 2021 from Duke (4-year player). Unique that he played 1B and CF at Duke. 41 SBs, at 6'3" 220 pounds. Very Cody Bellinger-esque.

Gilbert as well.

These are the 4 guys I am following this season for hitters in the org. 3 are high level college players, and Barber was a HS kid. All have had little problem producing so far in the minors.

With Wagner and Lupefido you are already in control of them through age 30, as of right now. So, ideally, they should be fast risers if they keep it up.

What I like about these 4 over the guys in AAA, they have shown the ability to control the strike zone at almost every stop on their way, much more than Dirden or Julks showed.

22 minutes ago, rvm96 said:

Weird to not mention Dirden. I also think Joe Perez can turn it around.

I did mention Dirden. His upper 20% K rate has me wondering if he can make enough contact in the MLB for his other skills to matter, but I would be happy with a Dirden/Julks/Alvarez platoon at DH/LF moving forward. Alvarez plays every day in LF/DH and Julks and Dirden platoon at the pósiton Alvarez doesn't play. This is a bad time for Chas to be injured., and obviously Meyers should be traded for how many bags of balls we can get.

Edited by HtownHorn

2 hours ago, HtownHorn said:

I did mention Dirden. His upper 20% K rate has me wondering if he can make enough contact in the MLB for his other skills to matter, but I would be happy with a Dirden/Julks/Alvarez platoon at DH/LF moving forward. Alvarez plays every day in LF/DH and Julks and Dirden platoon at the pósiton Alvarez doesn't play. This is a bad time for Chas to be injured., and obviously Meyers should be traded for how many bags of balls we can get.

I will admit I missed the last paragraph.

No hits from Altuve last night. A k and some ground outs. Dirden struck out twice. Whitley gave up a run and was solid.  He was topping out at 93 if the stadium gun is accurate.

Dat sky tho
14ed9b52194b773f68f6f0f9718c5450.jpg

Edited by kevwun
  • Hook 'Em 3

3 hours ago, kevwun said:

No hits from Altuve last night. A k and some ground outs. Dirden struck out twice. Whitley gave up a run and was solid.  He was topping out at 93 if the stadium gun is accurate.

Dat sky tho
14ed9b52194b773f68f6f0f9718c5450.jpg

Savant shows last night Whitley averaged 94 on his fb and topped at 95.5.

• Hook 'Em 1