2023 Houston Astros Thread

Planet Houston

So Maldonado catches our two aces and we give up 11 combined, even with his sorcery behind the plate.

Then Diaz catches our rookie and Montero (of all people) against the same team, and it’s a shutout.

Man, if only Yainer knew how to handle this pitching staff…

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, Welch said:

So Maldonado catches our two aces and we give up 11 combined, even with his sorcery behind the plate.

Then Diaz catches our rookie and Montero (of all people) against the same team, and it’s a shutout.

Man, if only Yainer knew how to handle this pitching staff…

radio pre game went deep dive into how much maldy has worked with France on his pitch selection. France was ok in spring training, but maldy talked with him about changing up his pitch selection. It’s worked. France has grown confidence out there. 

Edited by tx 3 putt

25 minutes ago, perfectchaos007 said:

A 3 hit game for Diaz today. Better let Maldy start all 3 games this weekend 

It’s almost like completely punting on offense in 11% or 22% of your lineup isn’t conducive to winning, especially when it conveys no defensive advantage. Hmmm. Who could know something like that. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

It’s almost like completely punting on offense in 11% or 22% of your lineup isn’t conducive to winning, especially when it conveys no defensive advantage. Hmmm. Who could know something like that. 

I mean, thats what we did in the pre-designated hitter era. No excuse to have an instant out in our lineup now.

• Hook 'Em 1

18 minutes ago, runthebone said:

Fuck the Cardinals, fuck them for 2004, fuck Bud Selig, and fuck St. Louis, a total shit hole to live in for 4 years.

and kindly fuck any of the young'ns who think the Rangers are a bigger rival to the Astros than the Co-ards.

• Hook 'Em 1

I'm not sure the Cards are even rivals with Sugarland right now...

I will always hate the Cubs though...in the same vein of thought as previous posts.

Edited by slorch

6 hours ago, Gourmand said:

and kindly fuck any of the young'ns who think the Rangers are a bigger rival to the Astros than the Co-ards.

And kindly fuck any whippersnapper who thinks the Cardinals are a bigger rival to the Astros than the Dodgers or the Reds.

Fuck Steve Garvey, Fuck Pete Rose, and Fuck Tommy Lasorda!

However, thanks to Fuckin Bud Selig, we are no longer in the National League. Not the West (Fuck the Dodgers and Reds!), not the Central (Fuck the Cards in general, but especially Fuck Tony Larussa and Fuck Albert Pujols!).

We are in the Motherfuckin American League. Fuck Bud Selig! Fuck the Yankees! Fuck the Red Sox! And.......Fuck the Rangers!

The last two times we didn't win the AL West, it was because of the Rangers. If we go 10-9 instead of 6-13 against the Rangers in 2015 we win the division instead of being the wildcard. If we go 10-9 instead of 4-15 in 2016 we win the division instead of missing the playoffs. Fuck the Rangers!

• Hook 'Em 2

my turn

fuck the reds.

fuck Chris Sabo and his corked bat swing in’, rec-spec wearin’ face.

fuck Ron Gant and his brawl-starting roid rage.

fuck Davey Johnson. Twice. Once for ‘86 and once for the mid-90s.

Elly de la Cruz, you’re cool

Edited by UTexasFight
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

42 minutes ago, UTexasFight said:

my turn

fuck the reds.

fuck Chris Sabo and his corked bat swing in’, rec-spec wearin’ face.

fuck Davey Johnson. Twice. Once for ‘86 and once for the mid-90s.

Elly de la Cruz, you’re cool

Fuck Lenny Dykstra

Fuck Lasorda

Fuck the Cubs, Dodgers

Fuck Manfred and Selig

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, kevwun said:

I don't think Leon would be an instant upgrade.  He has needed a good while to adjust after each promotion and will very likely strike out at an obscene rate until he figures it out if he does.

He's Jose Siri all over again. Let's not make the same mistake we made last year.

2 hours ago, BornOrange said:

And kindly fuck any whippersnapper who thinks the Cardinals are a bigger rival to the Astros than the Dodgers or the Reds.

The Cards have a much deeper and richer history with Houston baseball. The Dodgers and Reds were "rivals" for less than a decade beginning in the late-70s. Still, Houston and St. Louis have been intertwined since 1919 with the Houston Buffs - the first minor league team affiliated with a Major League franchise. The Houston and St. Louis rivalry of the NL Central era was also a more significant period in Astros' history.   

1 hour ago, UTexasFight said:

Shout out to Victoria and the Crossroads.

• Hook 'Em 2

8 minutes ago, Saint Tacky said:

Shout out to Victoria and the Crossroads.

Oh shit 

As one who will be in Victoria later today, this hits close to home. I had no idea he was born there.

Doug Drabek is a few years older but wonder how often they crossed paths on the diamond growing up 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, UTexasFight said:

Oh shit 

As one who will be in Victoria later today, this hits close to home. I had no idea he was born there.

Doug Drabek is a few years older but wonder how often they crossed paths on the diamond growing up 

ron gant is a good guy, his mom is a wonderful person 

my Victoria faves :

dragon palace

veracruz

la terraza  

Dairy Queen 

moo moo s

• Hook 'Em 2

8 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

If he brings in a Maton / Diaz deal, it’ll be well worth it 

him and Jake have no roster spot next season 

Yeah, trading an above-average CF on a pre-arb deal, who is easily the second-best outfielder in the organization (if we’re considering Yordan a DH, which he should be) makes total sense.

The fact that people think Julks and Meyers are just as good as Chas continues to baffle me.

8 minutes ago, Hank Chinaski said:

Yeah, trading an above-average CF on a pre-arb deal, who is easily the second-best outfielder in the organization (if we’re considering Yordan a DH, which he should be) makes total sense.

The fact that people think Julks and Meyers are just as good as Chas continues to baffle me.

Maybe he’s good enough to bring in another Yordan ???

if it’s a sellers market, someone that can make an instant impact is getting moved. Being pre-arb only sweetens the deal. 

jake can produce when he starts daily 

1 minute ago, kevwun said:

That and the fact we are discussing the Astros having to trade McCormick for a doppelganger of McCormick in the hopes that maybe Dusty will play the new McCormick every day.

drew and Leon have higher ceilings than chas + straw brought in a damn nice haul. Zero issues if we can find that kind of deal again 

10 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

Maybe he’s good enough to bring in another Yordan ???

if it’s a sellers market, someone that can make an instant impact is getting moved. Being pre-arb only sweetens the deal. 

jake can produce when he starts daily 

I mean sure, but you don’t do that if you’re serious about winning in 2023. You’d be getting rid of your best CF and the 5th-best hitter on the team, which isn’t a great offensive team to begin with. 

If we want to start retooling for the future, sure. But in 2023, scoring runs has been difficult; trading Chas almost certainly makes it even harder.