2023 Houston Astros Thread

Planet Houston

3 minutes ago, UTexasFight said:

Ehhh. What am I missing?

I wouldn’t exactly call that bush league.

I see no issue with lining up your best pitchers against your toughest divisional competition. 

mid season series vs a team 5 back. It’s something you do in sept 

IMG_5417.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

"So Dusty, in that vein of thought, explain the thinking behind your decisions with the Catcher this season and the lack of 'playing' the squad gets from that position.  Then follow up with CF."

Dusty the thinker. All righty, then. I'm pretty sure Dubon has done more to help this team than he has. Without Dubon, my guess is that we'd be at least 7 games out. Without Dusty, despite all the injuries we might still be leading the division. I realize not everyone will agree, but whatever. 

57 minutes ago, Gut Wagon said:

Dusty the thinker. All righty, then. I'm pretty sure Dubon has done more to help this team than he has. Without Dubon, my guess is that we'd be at least 7 games out. Without Dusty, despite all the injuries we might still be leading the division. I realize not everyone will agree, but whatever. 

You know the point of his statement goes beyond one player and one at bat, right? 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Slacks said:

You know the point of his statement goes beyond one player and one at bat, right? 

Of course. Dusty's perplexing lineup and bullpen decisions have been a constant of his tenure. We could afford them when we had more of a talent advantage, but not sure for how much longer. Maybe he's not the only one "doing the thinking," but under both Click and Brown the managerial moves have often been head scratchers. Again, just my opinion. 

9 minutes ago, Gut Wagon said:

Of course. Dusty's perplexing lineup and bullpen decisions have been a constant of his tenure. We could afford them when we had more of a talent advantage, but not sure for how much longer. Maybe he's not the only one "doing the thinking," but under both Click and Brown the managerial moves have often been head scratchers. Again, just my opinion. 

If he has reasons that I don't understand, I'm OK with that. He showed us the baby last year. This year, With a bunch of injuries at key spots, he has the team competing. 

The thing that kicks me in the balls is Montero turning to dust on the mound. Send that dude to AAA to fix some shit or stop tipping or whatever it is. I don't give a shit that he is highly paid. That's even more reason to fix it quickly. He has good stuff, he's just getting blasted for some reason. 

Think about that. 

4 minutes ago, Slacks said:

If he has reasons that I don't understand, I'm OK with that. He showed us the baby last year. This year, With a bunch of injuries at key spots, he has the team competing. 

The thing that kicks me in the balls is Montero turning to dust on the mound. Send that dude to AAA to fix some shit or stop tipping or whatever it is. I don't give a shit that he is highly paid. That's even more reason to fix it quickly. He has good stuff, he's just getting blasted for some reason. 

Think about that. 

Our disdain for continuing to trot Montero out there in key situations is mutual. As you note, he has the stuff to get people out. But after so many bad outings, letting him "work through it" in a pennant race is crazy. I feel the same about the catching situation, except there we know Maldy lacks hitting talent...and is declining in other areas. I'm not nearly as perturbed with the OF decisions to this point. 

3 hours ago, Gut Wagon said:

I was curious why he was bunting, thought it was rather conservative at that point in the game 

This is a fairly amazing stat …

I’m sure it’s been noted but every start by an Astros pitcher this season has been by a player either drafted or signed intentionally by the team. That’s pretty cool.

we have a hell of a system in place and damn good coaching in this org