2023 Houston Astros Thread

Planet Houston

10 minutes ago, Mitch Hedberg said:

Yordan should be DH. He’s too valuable in the lineup to get hurt in the outfield. He’s not going to make a game saving catch ala Tucker or Chas but will make a game saving hit. I know I’m a broken record about that and I have no desire to be proven right but that’s my opinion. I understand if we are going to play Maldy then to get Diaz bat in the lineup that will have to happen. But if we are playing fantasy then Yordan is not in the outfield in my lineup. If we trade for a legit outfielder while keeping Chas that would force Dusty to put Diaz at catcher for offense unless he just wants to be hard headed. Oh….yeah…..

Two months left, we’ll see a lot of line ups 

1 hour ago, tx 3 putt said:

Altuve 2nd 

Bregman 3rd

Yordan Lf

Abreu 1st

Tucker Rf

Chas Cf

Diaz Dh

Pena ss

machete Catcher 

I'm dreaming of the day when Dusty's lineup includes Maldonado, Kessinger, and Hensley.  You know it's going to happen.

• Rage+1 3

41 minutes ago, Mitch Hedberg said:

Yordan should be DH. He’s too valuable in the lineup to get hurt in the outfield. He’s not going to make a game saving catch ala Tucker or Chas but will make a game saving hit.

But he might well make a game-saving throw. Not like we haven't seen it. 

3 hours ago, Mitch Hedberg said:

Yordan should be DH. He’s too valuable in the lineup to get hurt in the outfield. He’s not going to make a game saving catch ala Tucker or Chas but will make a game saving hit. I know I’m a broken record about that and I have no desire to be proven right but that’s my opinion. I understand if we are going to play Maldy then to get Diaz bat in the lineup that will have to happen. But if we are playing fantasy then Yordan is not in the outfield in my lineup. If we trade for a legit outfielder while keeping Chas that would force Dusty to put Diaz at catcher for offense unless he just wants to be hard headed. Oh….yeah…..

Plus you don't have to worry about having to replace him defensively in a close and late situation. Yordan really hampered everything by his inability to play 1B. Which is just crazy to me.

• Hook 'Em 2

I want to submit my vote for "fuck the rangers".  screw your plastic ballpark.   your televised games suck-- i don't wanna see fat ass rich dudes with kept women chugging brews and chowing carbs.  the season is a marathon, not a sprint.  i'll enjoy your fade into the middle lanes as the Stro's run through the tape and win the west....again.

suck it

1 minute ago, HtownHorn said:

Plus you don't have to worry about having to replace him defensively in a close and late situation. Yordan really hampered everything by his inability to play 1B. Which is just crazy to me.

1B is a much more difficult position than people give it credit for. 

2 minutes ago, kevwun said:

I think Yordan is too stiff to play first.  He doesn't have the quick twitch it requires.  He must have been absolutely awful at it because iirc, they only tried it in the minors for a handful of games.

He started 39 games at 1b across all minor league league levels. It jumps up to 42 if you count the Arizona fall league.

3 minutes ago, kevwun said:

I think Yordan is too stiff to play first.  He doesn't have the quick twitch it requires.  He must have been absolutely awful at it because iirc, they only tried it in the minors for a handful of games.

He's a great athlete with decent speed and a great arm.. We have all seen him play a solid LF.. But 1B is a difficult and specialized position at this level, just like any other spot in the infield. 

4 minutes ago, texashorne said:

He's a great athlete with decent speed and a great arm.. We have all seen him play a solid LF.. But 1B is a difficult and specialized position at this level, just like any other spot in the infield. 

Yeah he runs well for his size.  I think he just takes awhile to get going and can't make the sudden movements it requires.  You need good reflexes to be good at first.  I bet he struggled with sharp grounders and line drives and making scoops.

Edited by kevwun

22 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

How many games have Alvarez, Altuve, Bregman, Tucker, and McCormick played together? Off hand, I would say less than 10.

7 times. I don’t know how many games they’ve all been healthy/available, but the answer is 7 out of 102.

4 of those 5: 34

3: 55

2: 6

thankfully tucker and Bregs have started every game (17) since Altuve went down.

and Chas all but one.…..which means get ready for a lot of off days for those three coming up once Altuve and Yordan finally appear back in the starting lineup 

Edited by UTexasFight
  • Hook 'Em 1