2023 Houston Astros Thread

Planet Houston

as stubborn and irrational as dusty is, i just cannot imagine a scenario where yordan insists he can go for that one AB in the 10th, and dusty sees julks on bench and denies yordan’s request. dusty probably would have swung at a manager in the 70s if he was in the yordan role and it played it out that way.

• Hook 'Em 1

This was 100% Dusty, because he's done similar things with healthy players as well. Earlier this year, Dusty spoke about Bregman asking to play because it was his dream to play all 162. Dusty's response was he can keep dreaming. Dusty is a fucking moron that has mismanaged every team he has ever managed save for the greatest bullpen season in the modern history of baseball. As much shit as we give Click and he deserves some of it, he built the single best weapon the Astros had in the playoffs. Now that some of those guys have regressed, Dusty has done what Dusty has always done. Burned out his elite bullpen guys midway through the season.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Rage+1 1

3 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

This was 100% Dusty, because he's done similar things with healthy players as well. Earlier this year, Dusty spoke about Bregman asking to play because it was his dream to play all 162. Dusty's response was he can keep dreaming. Dusty is a fucking moron that has mismanaged every team he has ever managed save for the greatest bullpen season in the modern history of baseball. As much shit as we give Click and he deserves some of it, he built the single best weapon the Astros had in the playoffs. Now that some of those guys have regressed, Dusty has done what Dusty has always done. Burned out his elite bullpen guys midway through the season.

It's not all Dusty.

1 minute ago, Mitch Hedberg said:

Brantley back to Sugarland for two games. If no Yordan I would have loved to have Brantley sitting on the bench last night for one AB instead of Julks. If that’s all he ever provides, I’ll take it in the playoffs.

hopefully brantley is on the plane to Detroit, very soon 

• Haha 1

54 minutes ago, runthebone said:

The extra innings record is on the manager at this point.  It's beyond chance.  Dusty's good at dealing with people, but someone else needs to be the strategic manager.

Are we even sure he's good at dealing with people?  I mean, Maldy loves him I'm sure.  But do you think Chas likes him?  Or Yainer?  Or his leverage relievers who are carrying way too big a load?

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, runthebone said:

What does that even mean?  How much of that word salad is from McTaggart's writing, and how much of it is just incoherence?

Is Brantley saying he’s not physically ready because of discomfort or because his timing still isn’t ready? Those are two different things entirely.  If he’s chomping at the bit but still feels not ready, I hope that means he still needs some at bats. I’m not sure how eager he would be if he was hurting. But how much Dusty added to that or what was written who knows. I wouldn’t count on Brantley ever showing up and contributing anymore until he actually steps on the field. He’s a ghost and a rumor until then.

• Hook 'Em 1

This is bullshit. Every other star had a chance to end this game before it came to that point.  Don't try and make Yordan wear last night's loss.
I'm not making him wear this loss, I'm calling him out for being a pussy and not playing when he's capable of playing the next afternoon...
  • Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, Gourmand said:
1 hour ago, Guadaloopy said:
This is bullshit. Every other star had a chance to end this game before it came to that point.  Don't try and make Yordan wear last night's loss.

I'm not making him wear this loss, I'm calling him out for being a pussy and not playing when he's capable of playing the next afternoon...

It's not up to him.

3 minutes ago, Gourmand said:
1 hour ago, Guadaloopy said:

And you are making the faulty assumption that another 1/2 day of rest doesn't make a difference.  Yordan has earned a bit of leeway from the fans.  Fucking give it to him.

15 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

Moves I would make before the August deadline. Move Loperfido, Arrighetti, and Leon onto the 40-man roster, they can replace Kessinger, Julks, and Hensley.

You forgot DFA Maldonado and call up Korey Lee @Hank Chinaski, right? I mean, I'm fine with calling up Salazar as an emergency and DIaz catching every single day. We have every thursday off between now and the end of the year I believe. 

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, perfectchaos007 said:

Abreu gets the day off today and Singleton starts at 1st base. Hopefully the infielders don’t make nightmare throws to Jon today like they did to Abreu yesterday 

Maybe their teammates are worried that they're not getting enough exercise because they run the bases so infrequently.

53 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Our starters average like the 2nd deepest into games in MLB. Dusty needs to figure our how to more rationally manage the bullpen.  They are going as deep as anyone in the league.  

Wow. I looked it up and you're right. Baseball reference has us tied for best in the AL at 5.6 innings pitched per game started.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/leagues/AL/2023-starter-pitching.shtml

Edited by David Dennison