2023 Houston Astros Thread

Planet Houston

10 hours ago, perfectchaos007 said:

Verlander and Framber can continue to have Maldy as their catcher if they demand him, but everyone else needs to pitch to Diaz so we can keep this hitting lineup all the way through the playoffs 

I understand Dusty's tendency to have Maldy out there with their starters. I do. I don't agree with it, but I do sorta understand it.

But what I can't understand is after the start is out of the game and in crucial at-bats when we're behind, why MAldy stays in. That's criminal to me. 

Situationally, you've likely had each player take two at-bats so the idea of 'calling a great game' is over IMO  as relivers rely on their 'stuff' more than 'pitch'. 

WTF difference does it make what you call if a guy who only throws 2 pitches can't throw a strike? Bullpen guys aren't finesse guys and they aren't trying to go 3,4, or 5 innings. Their mistakes are going to be 1.) not being able to throw strikes or 2.) missing a spot. What does it matter if that's with Diaz or Maldy?

Plus, you've already seen their approach twice. Diaz should be studying his ipad and be prepared to go inhere. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

Sweeping the A’s is the only way 

Our September series against the A's does usually end in a sweep. Just not the one we are hoping for. 

1 hour ago, tx 3 putt said:

Not sure how much I trust the athletic reporting ….

Astros and Mets have been in contact with David Stearns

What would Stearns' role be with the Astros?

• Haha 1

This weekend fit update:

The Astros will wear the road uniforms donned by the Houston Eagles in 1950, while the Royals will sport 1945 Kansas City Monarchs home uniforms. Jerseys and equipment from the game will be auctioned online with proceeds benefiting Kansas City's Negro League Baseball Museum.

2 hours ago, ChickenSandwich said:

I like Pena in the 2 hole. Makes the bottom of the order stronger and helps Pena use his speed as a weapon. (Better pitches can’t hurt either). Hides him a bit better

as long as he keeps hitting fine. He's been kind of a feast or famine guy. If he goes on another of his 0-20 JAGS I hope they move him down, but yeah- he's been just fine up there I guess. Really it's not all that important where compared to who.  

Lets see if we can blow the A's out 3-1 or 3-2 like we seemingly have all year.  Our record against them is what you'd expect.  We are 9-1 against them.  other than one game that went 10-1 all the other games were like 2 or 3 runs.  it's really weird how much we've dominated them without dominating them this year.  At home we are 3-0 and won by scores of 2-0, 3-2 and 5-1

• Hook 'Em 1

26 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Throw in the orioles series and calm it 9-3 is the target. However we get there doesn’t really matter- should be good enough. 

Right

i posted yesterday 8-4 sets you up to clinch in Seattle. 9-3 for sure does it (unless Seattle pulls out another 9-1 L10 like they were doing for a month since the ASB)

• Hook 'Em 1