2023 Houston Astros Thread

Planet Houston

40 minutes ago, Js1 said:

He should. Demanding Dubon AND Maldy is such a bitch move. Dusty or the org should tell him he gets one or the other, not both 

I could be wrong but I think JV is as clueless as the rest of us on why Dubon has to play CF when he starts.

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

I'm going to be on the field for batting practice tomorrow. 

What is spanish for "would you like me to put a hit on Dusty Baker or Martin Maldonado for you?"

Thanks, I will hang up and listen. 

Ahem, re: the post above yours….

preferably holding it up while Yainer is in the cage 

2 minutes ago, WBT said:

I could be wrong but I think JV is as clueless as the rest of us on why Dubon has to play CF when he starts.

Verlander's preferred battery mate, Martín Maldonado, was behind the plate. Baker also made sure to put Mauricio Dubon behind Verlander in center field, which the manager said was his preference, not the pitcher's. Saturday was just Dubon's second time this season playing center, but he started there nearly every time Verlander pitched for the Astros last year. In sum, it's likely both the preference of Baker and Verlander to have Dubon essentially play the role of his personal center fielder.“

https://amp.foxsports.com/stories/mlb/ace-justin-verlander-picks-up-where-he-left-off-with-astros-despite-loss-to-yankees

16 minutes ago, UTexasFight said:

Verlander's preferred battery mate, Martín Maldonado, was behind the plate. Baker also made sure to put Mauricio Dubon behind Verlander in center field, which the manager said was his preference, not the pitcher's. Saturday was just Dubon's second time this season playing center, but he started there nearly every time Verlander pitched for the Astros last year. In sum, it's likely both the preference of Baker and Verlander to have Dubon essentially play the role of his personal center fielder.“

https://amp.foxsports.com/stories/mlb/ace-justin-verlander-picks-up-where-he-left-off-with-astros-despite-loss-to-yankees

Having a "personal center fielder" is dumb as shit.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

Having a "personal center fielder" is dumb as shit.

correct.

i'm all for having the best infielders in when framber pitches and having the best, most athletic outfielders in when jv pitches, but dubon is not it.  if he asked for meyers in cf and chas in left (instead of yordan or brantley), at least it would make a little sense.

it also seems clear that comfort or not, the staff seems to pitch better to yainer, or at least our team era is lower and team winning % is higher.  he also has far fewer passed balls and throws guys out and a much higher clip.  but let's just say they were exactly even at everything i just mentioned.  yainer is a way better hitter and we all know it, so i really need an explanation.

it's malpractice at this point, and unfortunately the only way to prove it is to not make the playoffs.  losing in the wildcard round would probably also qualify.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 2

18 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

it's malpractice at this point, and unfortunately the only way to prove it is to not make the playoffs.  losing in the wildcard round would probably also qualify.

How many here would accept this result if it guaranteed that Dusty would be gone next year? Unfortunately, I suspect it’s more than a few. 

1 minute ago, TonyTexas said:

How many here would accept this result if it guaranteed that Dusty would be gone next year? Unfortunately, I suspect it’s more than a few. 

I mean- is it not just Dusty being gone but a decision to jettison all the nonsense that we've heard for the last 12 months about names on the back of baseball cards or what Jeff Bagwell says or Reggie Jackson says or personal CF and Maldy intangibles and be a real, evidence based fact based organization for the rest of Crane's time? If so I will reluctantly swallow hard and say sign me up.
Are we firing Dusty into the sun but Bagwell and Crane still herp derp their way through the org?  Not worth it then. 

• Hook 'Em 3

26 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

Assuming the narrative is true that the front office takes these shenanigans out of Dusty’s hands in the playoffs, it would also prove it to go out and win it all with Yainer and Chas playing every night. That, and an exit “on top” by Dusty, would be cool with me. 

• Hook 'Em 2

Just now, TonyTexas said:

I don't understand these series losses to two of the shittiest teams in the league.  If there is some power struggle between Brown and Baker and the players are doing their part to ensure Baker doesn't return I'm okay with that.

Could the "big boys" just be fatigued from 6 straight years of deep post season runs and just need a break?  I would assume they all want to win another WS ring, but who knows what is what at this point. 

What we do know is that Dusty continues to not play the best 9 players on a daily basis and its infuriating.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, David Dennison said:

God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
the courage to change the things I can,
and the wisdom to know the difference.

Hahahha

i was literally thinking “why am I so worked up over this. I can’t do anything about it. Try and relax and enjoy what I can.”

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, UTexasFight said:

Hahahha

i was literally thinking “why am I so worked up over this. I can’t do anything about it. Try and relax and enjoy what I can.”

Because that's not how my brain works and the lack of logic short circuits my ability to think. I wish I were different and could just kick back and relax. When people at a high level do shit that they know to be wrong and counterproductive it short circuits my brain.  

• Hook 'Em 2

9 minutes ago, UTexasFight said:

Hahahha

I stopped getting worked up a while back. It isn’t remotely surprising anymore that our lineups will be silly.

I’m more at the acceptance stage now - accepting that the Astros aren’t really trying to win this year. I’m not sure why they aren’t, but that’s the only logical conclusion one can reach. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1