2023 Houston Astros Thread

Planet Houston

12 minutes ago, TonyTexas said:

Singleton needs to be left of the playoff roster. He serves absolutely zero purpose. The problem is the choices for position players is pathetic. The construction of the the 40 man roster has been a bone of contention for a few years. 

It’s embarrassing he’s even on the 40 man 

Let's see [rummaging sound, muffled cursing] we've got a...

Hensley

2023 AAA OPS .721, MLB .380

Julks

2023 AAA OPS .850, MLB .649

Salazar

2023 AAA OPS .634, MLB .not Maldonado

But don't worry, guess who else is on the 40 man, doesn't have a tired arm from throwing too many innings, and dominated AAA with a 5.70 ERA until being shut down to rest for the ALCS

current

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, UTexasFight said:

If you’re mad about the break between the LDS and LCS just wait until you see the break between the LCS and World Series

If we get a long break because we swept Arlington and the NLCS goes 7 games, I'm cool with it.

Let's just kick the shit out of them tonight, for starters.

• Hook 'Em 1

Dubon listed as an infielder is kind of funny, given he plays CF at least twice a week. 

Meyers should have been there over Singleton, he's fast if nothing else. Singleton hasn't done anything to warrant being on the roster since his first 10 games in July.  

Scherzer is on the roster for the Rangers, so that will be interesting. He's a Wild Card for them.

Edited by Dutchrudder

1 hour ago, TexArcher said:

Yeah, it's more than it used to be.

I'm not sure it's bad for us, though.

I'm pretty sure MLB is the only league of the 3 that play multi game series that has fixed dates ahead of time it is super stupid.

I would rather close the ALCS out in 6 games but I would gladly take 5 or 4 if necessary....

11 minutes ago, Pimphand said:

I'm pretty sure MLB is the only league of the 3 that play multi game series that has fixed dates ahead of time it is super stupid.

I would rather close the ALCS out in 6 games but I would gladly take 5 or 4 if necessary....

Let’s say there is a sweep in the ALDS and you start the ALDS 2 days later. But the NLCS goes 5 games. Then the ALCS  is also a sweep but the NLCS goes 7. The AL champion could be sitting for 10 days before game before game 1 of the WS. No thanks. 

Edit above

7 minutes ago, TonyTexas said:

Let’s say there is a sweep in the ALDS and you start the ALDS 2 days later. But the NLDS goes 5 games. Then the ALCS  is also a sweep but the NLCS goes 7. The AL champion could be sitting for 10 days before game before game 1 of the WS. No thanks. 

46 minutes ago, Pimphand said:

Incorrect. Nobody does what you’re saying.

tv and corporate hospitality (read: money) are the reasons it will never happen 

Edited by UTexasFight
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

42 minutes ago, Pimphand said:

The problem is all the off days built in. The regular season rarely has more than 1 off day a week, in the playoffs you get at least 2, and many more if a team sweeps. The way to "fix" it is to have the wild card be 3 games in 3 days and have day 4 be the start of the LDS. 

Give 8 days for LCS series with 1 day off between games 2/3, and have up to 5 in a row. Then have the World Series start 2-3 days after game 7 would happen. 

This means teams need more than 3 starting pitchers and better imitates the regular season style of play with roster management and pitching being much more important.  

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

54 minutes ago, Dutchrudder said:

The problem is all the off days built in. The regular season rarely has more than 1 off day a week, in the playoffs you get at least 2, and many more if a team sweeps. The way to "fix" it is to have the wild card be 3 games in 3 days and have day 4 be the start of the LDS. 

Give 8 days for LCS series with 1 day off between games 2/3, and have up to 5 in a row. Then have the World Series start 2-3 days after game 7 would happen. 

This means teams need more than 3 starting pitchers and better imitates the regular season style of play with roster management and pitching being much more important.  

You have to give a travel day between switching locales. If atlanta and LA had won their LDS, can you imagine getting on a plane past midnight after a primetime game 5 in LA to fly cross country to Atlanta to play the next day?

I mean you could do that, but that kind of thing happens once, maybe twice to a team during the regular season 

Edited by UTexasFight

4 minutes ago, UTexasFight said:

You have to give a travel day between switching locales. If atlanta and LA had won their LDS, can you imagine getting on a plane past midnight after a primetime game 5 in LA to fly cross country to Atlanta to play the next day?

I mean you could do that, but that kind of thing happens once, maybe twice to a team during the regular season 

This is a sport where they play 2 games back to back to makeup a missed day, I think they can handle it. If anything, that would probably benefit the home team of games 6/7 more, which would mean getting a higher seed is more valuable. 

I think the fundamental issue is off days allowing starters too much rest, so we see the same 3 starters for every team each series. Reducing those off days means roster and pitcher management is more important, and it also benefits the teams with Byes more, which is the whole point of a Bye. 

I would also suggest a 6/7 wild card single game matchup to decide who plays the 3 seed. The 6th spot is often a better position than 4/5 with the way brackets work, but adding a sudden death game and burning the winners Ace would help balance things out. Those 2 games would be the day before the LDS starts.