2023 Houston Astros Thread

Planet Houston

Scattershooting the last two games against the Twins and putting some context on what the Astros have done the last 7 years. 

Spotify:
https://spotify.link/fkhD1CQPPDb

Apple:  

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/breathing-orange-fire-a-houston-astros-podcast/id1683955456?i=1000631040972

Amazon:
https://music.amazon.com/podcasts/8...-the-alcs?ref=dm_sh_lzFuzxwsY3OPj0wE4GZ5m4UhI

Edited by Wulaw Horn
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Lifetime vs the Rangers, 132 to 134.  This year, Astros 9 punks from the North 4.

H-town homies got this.

Somewhere last night, they said Brantley gave a locker room speech before the series with the Phillies.  Does anyone know if there is a vid of that?

Edited by Bevo&Pevo
  • Hook 'Em 1

32 minutes ago, Bevo&Pevo said:

Lifetime vs the Rangers, 132 to 134.  This year, Astros 9 punks from the North 4.

H-town homies got this.

Somewhere last night, they said Brantley gave a locker room speech before the series with the Phillies.  Does anyone know if there is a vid of that?

It was before game 4 during the Phillies series. 
And no way there’s a copy of that which would ever get out. Would completely break the lockeroom code. 

Urquidy, the Warrior. The part in bold is what I love about his mentality.  He ain't finessing around.

“I feel very comfortable being here with this team, pitching there, creating a good plan of attack with my catcher,” Urquidy said. “I know I've got good offense and defense behind me, and that makes me feel a lot of confidence. I think that's why, in those kinds of moments, I know I've got to compete and throw the ball well through the zone and put hitters away.

4 hours ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Scattershooting the last two games against the Twins and putting some context on what the Astros have done the last 7 years. 

Spotify:
https://spotify.link/fkhD1CQPPDb

Apple:  

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/breathing-orange-fire-a-houston-astros-podcast/id1683955456?i=1000631040972

Amazon:
https://music.amazon.com/podcasts/8...-the-alcs?ref=dm_sh_lzFuzxwsY3OPj0wE4GZ5m4UhI

It's Urquidy in sole possession.....

WS Wins
Urquidy 3 (2019 & 2x 2021)
Valdez 2 (2x 2022)
Devenski (2017)
McCullers (2017)
Musgrove (2017)
Morton (2017)
James (2019)
Cole (2019)
Javier (2022)
Verlander (2022)

• Hook 'Em 4

3 minutes ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

I'm digging the media narrative today that the Phillies homefield advantage makes them unbeatable.  It's like last year didn't happen where we punked their asses two out of three with a no-hitter thrown in there to really rub their noses in their own shit.

I mean the NL went 0-5 in the postseason in Philadelphia last year.  The Astros went 2-1

This year they are 3-0 at home so clearly the NL struggles to win there.

Edited by Pimphand

10 minutes ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

I'm digging the media narrative today that the Phillies homefield advantage makes them unbeatable.  It's like last year didn't happen where we punked their asses two out of three with a no-hitter thrown in there to really rub their noses in their own shit.

there’s a reason you play the games 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

2023 Astros. Notoriously bad road team. 

Sarcastic Harriet The Spy GIF

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 3

I quit trying to figure out what to expect from this team this year. Pumped to see another alcs and not nervous we’re playing Arlington. It’s like they think we’ve never faced wayyy scarier and deeper teams than them. Playing hot or not I’m not as tightly wound up about the games as years past thankfully watching two WS wins has helped with that. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

I quit trying to figure out what to expect from this team this year. Pumped to see another alcs and not nervous we’re playing Arlington. It’s like they think we’ve never faced wayyy scarier and deeper teams than them. Playing hot or not I’m not as tightly wound up about the games as years past thankfully watching two WS wins has helped with that. 

I've bitched and complained about Toothpick's roster all year, now I'll just let it all go and see what happens.  Right there with you after the WS last year, rooting and watching has much less anxiety.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

The recipe vs the Rangers is pretty much the same as it is for every single postseason team. Make the starters throw pitches and get to the bullpen as fast as possible to get as many appearances against them as you can.  This is probably exacerbated and the most extreme example of this that we have ever faced in this 7 year run.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

we're gonna need a more complete contribution from our offense.  this whole 1-2 guys showing up per game might work against minnesota, but it won't against the rangers and their lineup.  tucker, i'm looking in your direction.

if we go jv-framber-cj then they can also go in 5-6-7 on regular rest.  javier will be key.

• Hook 'Em 3

26 minutes ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

Long breaks for hot teams can be the AIDS.

Hard to sustain. That's another thing in our favor IMO.

Let's ride!

• Hook 'Em 1

56 minutes ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

With all due reverence to the baseball gods, and with the knowledge that we may not even want it, who would get home-field in an Astros-Phillies or Rangers-Phillies WS?  All three finished 90-72.

if it’s just head-to-head, I guess Philly gets it over us but not over Texas.  Philly beat us 2 out of 3 but Texas swept them to start the year.

Sorry if already discussed…

Rangers offense is hot but bats are always the first thing to cool off in the playoffs. Pitching is key and always will be and I love our post season pitching that has stepped up. Rangers fans look at stats and forget Javier and Urquidy both pitch like all stars in the playoffs. 

Im most concerned about JV and the way he gives up homers against a homer heavy lineup. If we get great JV then I expect 7-8 innings of dominance like he’s done in the past. 

• Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, Welch said:

With all due reverence to the baseball gods, and with the knowledge that we may not even want it, who would get home-field in an Astros-Phillies or Rangers-Phillies WS?  All three finished 90-72.

if it’s just head-to-head, I guess Philly gets it over us but not over Texas.  Philly beat us 2 out of 3 but Texas swept them to start the year.

Sorry if already discussed…

The Phillies would have home-field advantage in a World Series matchup with the Astros, thanks to winning their season series, 2-1, back in late April. However, the Rangers would have home-field advantage in a World Series matchup with the Phillies, after sweeping the teams' three-game, season-opening series from March 30-April 2.

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, Js1 said:

The Phillies would have home-field advantage in a World Series matchup with the Astros, thanks to winning their season series, 2-1, back in late April. However, the Rangers would have home-field advantage in a World Series matchup with the Phillies, after sweeping the teams' three-game, season-opening series from March 30-April 2.

it doesn’t go by playoff seed first? Weird but I guess we are better on the road so just might work out.

36 minutes ago, Dnaguy said:

Long breaks for hot teams can be the AIDS.

Hard to sustain. That's another thing in our favor IMO.

Let's ride!

Someone is going to be ice cold going in to the World Series, maybe both leagues.

The AL champ will have a minimum of 3 days off, and could be as many as 7 days off with a sweep. The NL will be 2 min, 6 max.

6 minutes ago, Evil Bill Obrien said:

it doesn’t go by playoff seed first? Weird but I guess we are better on the road so just might work out.

No they eliminated that in 2023 now that every team plays each other.

The WS goes to the team with the highest winning % if the teams are tied which they are between Phillies, Rangers, & Astros then it goes to who won the 3 game set the teams played in the regular season.

Which is why you only play each team in the other league once for 3 games.

• Hook 'Em 1