2023 Houston Astros Thread

Planet Houston

3 hours ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Dusty’s plan to win 5 less games than we should have through lineup decisions was 4D chess. He knew we needed to win the division on the last day with exactly 90 wins, not clinch a playoff spot until game 161, so he could avoid being a 95 win team. 

diaz catching, cost us 30 to 45 games, per Correa math 

Right.

who talks about a game/ team from two days ago when there is another story from the night before about a WS runner up knocking out the best regular season team in the majors.

there will be plenty of Astros talk tomorrow ahead of game 1 Sunday.

the long lay-off narrative and how to prevent the best teams from being negatively impacted is already tired though.  What are they going to blame when there is about a week off in between the end of the LCS and World Series?

at a minimum, the ALCS champ will have 3 days off and the NLCS 2 assuming both go 7 which they probably  won’t 

2 hours ago, Pimphand said:

How on earth did so many of their fans buy that atrocious logo'd gear? That was the most hideous uniform of 2023 by a large margin.

Those caps are on little racks in virtually every urban independent convenience store.

Also, the Russell Wilson fan was random AF.

Edited by slorch

Little fun Friday Twitter thread for those of you bored waiting for Game 1 and avoiding doing any heavy lifting at work right now like me. Content Warning: Not a Helobious safe space, lots of Yankees sadness:

Love me a good defensive baseball play and those first 2 double plays the Uncle Mike outfield assist to double off Judge and the Graveman to Maldy Strike 'em out/Throw 'em out are two dandys, multiple Milo gold stars (rip)

The Simpsons Kiss GIF by FOX International Channels

• Hook 'Em 5

My favorite memories/moments are from Game 7 in 2017 against the Yankees. I took my dad (RIP) and we had seats right on the fence in the right field corner. Will never forget McCann’s double down the line that was right at us, Bregman’s ridiculous play to come home for a play at the plate that only works with a *perfect* throw, Gattis’s bomb to left center and of course LMJ’s curveball extravaganza to end it. What a game. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 6

39 minutes ago, Evil Bill Obrien said:

Little fun Friday Twitter thread for those of you bored waiting for Game 1 and avoiding doing any heavy lifting at work right now like me. Content Warning: Not a Helobious safe space, lots of Yankees sadness:

Love me a good defensive baseball play and those first 2 double plays the Uncle Mike outfield assist to double off Judge and the Graveman to Maldy Strike 'em out/Throw 'em out are two dandys, multiple Milo gold stars (rip)

Some other defensive gems that I'll always appreciate:

1.  Reddick to Correa to Bregman to nail that bastard Brett Gardner at third in Game 2 of 2017.

2.  Correa nails LeMaheiu at home in Game 2 of 2019.

3.  Marwin guns down slow ass Greg Bird at home in Game 1 2017.

The 2017 ALCS was full of clutch defensive plays.

3 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

It was like pulling teeth to get Nizuc down in Cancun to get the game on every night but man what a time we had when it finally was put on.

This is probably my favorite

Reason: I have the most shit talkingist Boston sports fan friend from Maine and he was prattling on and on during games 2 & 3 and even though we had hammered the shit out of them 4 & 5 to take the 3-2 lead in the series he was yapping that it was 2019 WS repeat during this inning.  That was the last text I got from him about the 2021 ALCS LOL as Tucker would go on to add a 3 run bomb in the 8th and the Red Sox hitters would go 0-6 to close out.  The fact that they were taunting Garcia's throwing motion in the dugout was the chef's kiss.

Edited by Pimphand

5 hours ago, Evil Bill Obrien said:

Damn sorry I missed that you had already called it out....

56 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

Why aren’t we playing tonight ?

Because the MLB fixed schedule thing is dumb as fuck. It would be one thing if the venues were fixed and people had travel plans already booked instead the venues and times are variable so fucking make the dates variable too. So fucking dumb

6 hours ago, Planet Houston said:

My favorite memories/moments are from Game 7 in 2017 against the Yankees. I took my dad (RIP) and we had seats right on the fence in the right field corner. Will never forget McCann’s double down the line that was right at us, Bregman’s ridiculous play to come home for a play at the plate that only works with a *perfect* throw, Gattis’s bomb to left center and of course LMJ’s curveball extravaganza to end it. What a game. 

This is the play I most remember of the entire 2017 playoffs. Game 7, 1 run game, just a ridiculous throw by Bregman and a hell of a job by McCann just catching and holding on to the ball while taking cleats to his wrist. I've watched this video approximately 6,000 times over the years.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Pimphand said:

Reason: I have the most shit talkingist Boston sports fan friend from Maine and he was prattling on and on during games 2 & 3 and even though we had hammered the shit out of them 4 & 5 to take the 3-2 lead in the series he was yapping that it was 2019 WS repeat during this inning.  That was the last text I got from him about the 2021 ALCS LOL as Tucker would go on to add a 3 run bomb in the 8th and the Red Sox hitters would go 0-6 to close out.  The fact that they were taunting Garcia's throwing motion in the dugout was the chef's kiss.

image.thumb.png.b5f2e7e61c8d2ced364d9b51f2445826.png

these people really love to talk shit after game 3 of a series.

• Haha 2

And their manager was the fucking ringleader along with Beltran. Fuck that franchise. So glad to hear GM candidates are turning them down because their baseball operations are such a shitshow. 

https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/red-sox-struggling-to-hire-new-gm-as-prospective-candidates-reject-interviews-for-high-profile-gig-per-report/amp/

Edited by Planet Houston
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

45 minutes ago, Planet Houston said:

And their manager was the fucking ringleader along with Beltran. Fuck that franchise. So glad to hear GM candidates are turning them down because their baseball operations are such a shitshow. 

https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/red-sox-struggling-to-hire-new-gm-as-prospective-candidates-reject-interviews-for-high-profile-gig-per-report/amp/

fuck off, alex.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

54 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Have a little fun with internet posters, talk about narrative vs process, and smack around the rangers. Plus, I learn a new song that came out in 2005. 

Spotify:
https://spotify.link/DkN03X1vSDb

Amazon and apple will be up later, just like always.

Since you were laughing at the Braves....

1 hour ago, tx 3 putt said:

MLB has taken all the air out of the LC 

games should have started last night, tonight at the latest 

Game 5 of the LDS , if necessary, would have been last night. MLB isn’t going to change the schedule due to series length for a variety of valid reasons. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1