True Detective: Night Country (Season 4)

mdmost

On 2/22/2024 at 1:18 PM, Texzilla58 said:

HBO gone straight to shit. They have renewed TD for season 5, with Issa Lopez at the helm again. They also gave her a long term deal. The world is insane.

This season was an absolute beating and not a remotely enjoyable watch. I am out for season 5. 

1 hour ago, austingirl said:

If you want a good show about two Odd-Couple-y detectives thrown together to solve a murder, check out Deadloch on Prime. If for nothing else but the pilot's a cappella rendition of I Touch Myself sung by a lesbian choir.

Obligatory:

5E00C2F6-1DF2-4D69-A966-3DCCB9AFC1D2.gif

51 minutes ago, BrazilHorn said:

This season was an absolute beating and not a remotely enjoyable watch. I am out for season 5. 

If they can get some decent writers I would watch. From a look and feel perspective Lopez did some really good things. She clearly is a terrible writer though.

I can’t stop thinking about how bad this was. Why was the tunnel to the lab secret? How did they get Annie’s body up that ladder? How did all the scientists get down the ladder so fast when Annie was wrecking shop? Why was a bunch of nerds’ reaction to a break in to murder the unarmed burglar?

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/19/2024 at 6:50 PM, WBT said:

Guess the vet who said the scientists died of fear before they froze to death was full of shit

I think this is what the cleaning lady was referring to when she said that they sent them out, and if “she” wanted them to survive, they would. The premise is they experienced “something” that scared them to death, before they froze. 

On 2/23/2024 at 10:01 PM, austingirl said:

If you want a good show about two Odd-Couple-y detectives thrown together to solve a murder, check out Deadloch on Prime. If for nothing else but the pilot's a cappella rendition of I Touch Myself sung by a lesbian choir.

Thanks for the rec. Good show. TBH, the one detective was annoying as fuck the first part of the series but thankfully toned it down after the drunk episode. 

I finally watched the last episode. What a horrible season of television.

It feels like this script should’ve been a low budget horror movie on Netflix in October, but somehow the dumbasses at HBO/Discovery thought it was worthy of being extended into a 6 part miniseries and add some police drama and some Easter eggs to make it into True Detective.

The biggest mystery is why Jodie Foster agreed to the script. That tricked me into watching it.

The overall plot was incredibly dumb. Evil mine pollutes the local area and causes cancers and other health problems but a tiny group of research scientists thinks this is actually helping them discover a bacteria that can save humanity but then they have to kill a local girl to protect their research but then a group of maids kills the scientists and it’s all okay because the maids were apparently justified in their killing.

The most insulting part as a viewer is the way they inserted snippets from TD season 1 as if that somehow made it better. Random spirals in every episode were just dumb. Danvers carving an orange peel into a spiral was stupid. Clark randomly yelling “Time is a flat circle” was a disgrace to the Rust Cohle character. These moments did not elevate the season or help it earn the True Detective label, quite the opposite.

• Hook 'Em 4

On 3/11/2024 at 4:18 PM, BabaYaga said:

Made about as much fucking sense as that polar bear in Lost.  Fuck me that season was horri-bad

no, LOST actually explained the polar bear and didn't make people ask "wtf with the polar bear?" after the finale

• Like 2

10 hours ago, rage-a-holic said:

no, LOST actually explained the polar bear and didn't make people ask "wtf with the polar bear?" after the finale

I think I was so checked out at that point I forgot.  What was the explanation?

I want a fifth season without Issa the runner. I’d like a different director and writer but with Walton Goggins playing all the main characters. Both detectives, the bad guy, the sweet hookers, the bumbling supervisors, the evil corporate types, all of the victims.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

On 3/14/2024 at 9:55 PM, rage-a-holic said:

Yeah, this is one of those complaints that I see often and roll my eyes because it was pretty well explained by s3. 

• Hook 'Em 1

i was excited about this season because season 3 was actually a very good comeback season after season 2, the setting was interesting, and jodie foster was in it.  i didn't realize until the end of episode one that nic pizzolatto wasn't involved which made me skeptical but the first couple of episodes were intriguing enough, but i finished it up last night and man what a steaming pile of shit.  that final epsiode will go down as one of the worst in the history of the medium.  i cannot believe sepinwall of all people actually enjoyed it.

just a really, really bad season of television.  seasons 2 and 4 should be permanently deleted from the world.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1