San Antonio Spurs 2023 Offseason - Voodoo Dolls and Ping Pong Balls

Mitch Cumsteen

Just now, C-Man said:

Cissoko is the pick

I was pissed they didn’t take him at 33. Love love love this pick. Super athletic nba body, great feel for the game and iq, great finisher on the break and a hard nosed defender who can switch 1-5. His jumper needs tweaking but is passable and he can be over aggressive and get into foul trouble, but this kid is a player. Very pumped about this. 

• Hook 'Em 2

24 minutes ago, Kermit said:

Second round draft pick. He seems angry at the rim and can pass extremely well. I like him. 

I remain utterly baffled how a 19 year old with his size, athleticism, handles, passing ability, basketball IQ, competitiveness and willingness/ability to play defense fell to the 44th pick in the draft. Unless he's a dumbass or there's some character flaw I don't know about, I don't get it. He played point guard his whole life and they moved him off ball to play with Scoot. So he was playing in an unfamiliar role and the numbers suffered, but the skills are evident. Maybe I don't know what the fuck I'm looking at, but there probably aren't ten guys in the draft I like better than him. And I said all this before the Spurs took him. But again, what do I know?

Here's a more balanced scouting report on him. He's worth the pick for his defense alone IMO.

His flaws are:

1. Inconsistent shot - I don't think there's much wrong with his release, but his footwork is all over the damn place not only when he's on the move, but even at a standstill. I think that's easily fixable. His ft% is a little concerning, but again... the release looks okay to me. He needs a better base, a million reps, and the numbers should come up.
2. He's not a great one on one player - so the fuck what? It's not like the Spurs are going to clear out a side and let him iso. Also, if he gets his jumpshot more consistent he will be better able to create off the dribble with a shooting threat.
3. Does some overly aggressive brain dead shit on defense and fouls too much - ideally, this will be coached out of him. He's just 19. I'd rather him make mistakes being aggressive when he's trying to make plays than not giving a shit.

• Hook 'Em 3

3 hours ago, Kermit said:

Second round draft pick. He seems angry at the rim and can pass extremely well. I like him. 

For a 19 year old the dude does look like a man on the floor, got some size to him and he’s aggressive going to the rim. Not sure for his highlight video I would have included him banking in a three off the glass (11:32)😃 but what the hell, I’m all in. I see some fun times in our future.

32 minutes ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

Appreciate you looking out for those of us less fortunate, San Antonio channel-less folk. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Did anyone here get swept in the hype enough to throw down for some tickets next year? I did the 10 game weekend package just to get a chance to take part in Wemby’s rookie campaign with my son.
When they got the first pick, I signed up to get season tickets. Ended up getting the half season package. I've never had Spurs season tickets before, and now seemed like as good a time as any to pull the trigger. GSG!
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1