self-defense classes for children?

yeah stay away from striking self defense and stick more to grappling and wrestling styles if you actually care about your kid/young person getting out of something. 

Striking disciplines aren't going to get you out of a jam, they are more likely to give false confidence and have the young one stick around in a situation they should have bailed on IMHO.

The best self-defense is vigilance and not actually getting into the altercation/position to need to use physical tactics anyway. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, immamac said:

yeah stay away from striking self defense and stick more to grappling and wrestling styles if you actually care about your kid/young person getting out of something. 

Striking disciplines aren't going to get you out of a jam, they are more likely to give false confidence and have the young one stick around in a situation they should have bailed on IMHO.

The best self-defense is vigilance and not actually getting into the altercation/position to need to use physical tactics anyway. 

I've seen many a TKD champ get their butts kicked in a real fight. I'd assume boxers could fight.  I'm a BJJ fan myself but that's great for 1x1, not multiple attackers.  Best self defense is the ability to get out of situation.

Just now, closetohumping said:

I've seen many a TKD champ get their butts kicked in a real fight. I'd assume boxers could fight.  I'm a BJJ fan myself but that's great for 1x1, not multiple attackers.  Best self defense is the ability to get out of situation.

Correct - boxing and fundamental striking is way better in a lowest common denominator fight than advanced martial arts will be. 

Can you throw and land a punch? You are doing better than 60% of people

Can you dodge, counter and neutralize a foe while throwing and landing punches? You are doing better than 90%+ of the population

1 hour ago, closetohumping said:

I live in California.  These hippies frown on firearms 

motherfucker you live in irvine, the safest city in the world.  Are you worried that some 7 year old asian girl is gonna bash your kid in the head with her cello?

Edited by Gil Bang
  • Haha 8

I started BJJ in 2006 and I do feel it can be great for self defense. Even the more sport/competition oriented academies teach some fundamental ideas that are useful in an altercation, such as keeping your distance.  But yeah, the vast majority of the time, fights end up with people rolling around on the ground. It’s good to know how to control someone there. 

Do NOT take self defense that attempts to teach people they can disarm someone, whether it’s a gun or a knife. You will get hurt or die trying that bullshit. I have watched many Krav Maga classes where I just wanted to scream at everyone to not try that bullshit.  If your back is absolutely against the wall and you have absolutely no choice, your base instinct will kick in. You will claw eyes, you will kick the attacker in the junk, you will bite. You don’t need Johnny strip mall teaching you that. 

if you think you can knife fight or disarm someone with a knife, give a friend a sharpie (take one of the dozen from your prison wallet) and have him/her pretend it’s a knife. See how much ink you have on you in the prices of trying to take it from them. 

• Haha 2

Any recommendations or is it kid dependent?  I took tae kwon do, it was ok, but not sure how practical kicks are.  Also considering Jui Jitsu and Krav Maga.  I've heard the latter is a no frills option that really works.

Forgot to say, if you have any questions about BJJ, I’ll be more than happy to answer them.
  • Hook 'Em 1

On 4/23/2023 at 9:07 PM, GoPokes83 said:

Krav Maga (No Trump) teaches you to run away, but also how to effectively fuck someone up enough to then let you get away if you can’t. Completely different mind/skill set than grappling or karate, etc.

Yeah, took daughter to a krav maga class.  First thing they taught was a kick to the junk.  No taking off of shoes, no bowing etc.  The point is to just get yourself out of a bad spot. 

1 hour ago, Patricio Swayze said:

I started BJJ in 2006 and I do feel it can be great for self defense. Even the more sport/competition oriented academies teach some fundamental ideas that are useful in an altercation, such as keeping your distance.  But yeah, the vast majority of the time, fights end up with people rolling around on the ground. It’s good to know how to control someone there. 

Do NOT take self defense that attempts to teach people they can disarm someone, whether it’s a gun or a knife. You will get hurt or die trying that bullshit. I have watched many Krav Maga classes where I just wanted to scream at everyone to not try that bullshit.  If your back is absolutely against the wall and you have absolutely no choice, your base instinct will kick in. You will claw eyes, you will kick the attacker in the junk, you will bite. You don’t need Johnny strip mall teaching you that. 

if you think you can knife fight or disarm someone with a knife, give a friend a sharpie (take one of the dozen from your prison wallet) and have him/her pretend it’s a knife. See how much ink you have on you in the prices of trying to take it from them. 

Will check out BJJ today or tomorrow.  Love juijitsu but still say in a multiple attacker situation it can get ugly.  But, I haven't been in a fight in 30 years so I doubt or hope she'll ever be.

Almost all human beings are going to fare very poorly in a multiple attacker situation. Not a lot of real life Jack Reachers out there and even fewer female ones. 

Correct. And Krav Maga, especially the strip mall variety, make people think they can handle it (as well as disarming assailants). It’s dangerous.

7 minutes ago, Patricio Swayze said:

Correct. And Krav Maga, especially the strip mall variety, make people think they can handle it (as well as disarming assailants). It’s dangerous.

That’s fucked up. They, imo, should be looking for a way not to have to handle it. Anything that even subtly encourages someone to be lackadaisical about avoiding such a situation is very likely to get him hurt, not protected. It’s almost low key encouraging aggression, it sounds like. 

I prefer “Be nice, until it’s time to not be nice.” Usually, the time to not be nice was because of my dumbfuck friends dragging trouble to me. These days, even more so. 

That’s fucked up. They, imo, should be looking for a way not to have to handle it. Anything that even subtly encourages someone to be lackadaisical about avoiding such a situation is very likely to get him hurt, not protected. It’s almost low key encouraging aggression, it sounds like. 
I prefer “Be nice, until it’s time to not be nice.” Usually, the time to not be nice was because of my dumbfuck friends dragging trouble to me. These days, even more so. 

I’ve trained BJJ at several schools. The first thing they have said is to avoid conflict. Keep your distance. If someone is yelling at you, trying to get you to engage, don’t. Stand as far away as you can.

When someone asks me something dumb like, how does BJJ do against multiple attackers, I say “not as well as training track and field”. Or triangles don’t work in a street fight. Well, yes and no. I wouldn’t suggest doing it in a street fight and most would agree. If you do that with multiple attackers, you are dead now.

First rule is: don’t get in an altercation.
Second rule is: your wallet, car, jewelry aren’t worth your life.

You aren’t Jason Bourne.
  • Hook 'Em 1

59 minutes ago, Doc Daneeka said:

I agree, except Jack Reacher would kick Jason Bourne’s ass and drag him around by the scruff of his neck. 

It was demonstrably stupid even back in the day. It’s even dumber now. 

it's been proven :  BOurne >>> Wick>>> Liam Nielsen's character in Taken.

Reacher and Jack Ryan can watch from sidelines.

Every good martial arts instructor I've listened to has said the first thing to do is look for a way out, not hurt someone.