2024 Transfer Thread - Brooks Was Here. So Was Red.

1 minute ago, Radical Larry said:

More like check cleared

Doubtful or we'd see their collective bragging about his retention. My guess is they told him to test the market against their offer and he's saying he has an offer that's better. Considering it's probably only Bama wading into those waters, and that Bama hasn't shown a willingness to light money of fire, this is likely a bluff. I doubt he gets a raise for quitting on his team and threatening free agency with no skins on the wall.

Monday morning updates of former Texas players

LTG to San Jose St
image.png.84bc86360f01a49f5b0c477dc02006de.png
BJ Allen and X'Avion Brice to North Texas
image.png.95545c7f0911770b2983224de6d3ebea.png
image.png.f58966f541087e9e6c4d93fbea386794.png
So none of them found quite the demand from the big boys they were expecting. Hopefully this is a learning experience for other prospective portal hoppers. (Assuming they don't need to jump in the motherfucker for reasons of they'll never play a down at Texas)

What are you on about? I don’t believe any of these guys thought they could land at another spot like Texas. They jumped in because they were passed by younger players and are going to schools where they can get playing time. 
Which is why I added the bracketed part. You know some of them expected better based on their rating out of HS and the fact they are transferring from Texas.

3 minutes ago, ousux said:
5 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:
What are you on about? I don’t believe any of these guys thought they could land at another spot like Texas. They jumped in because they were passed by younger players and are going to schools where they can get playing time. 

Which is why I added the bracketed part. You know some of them expected better based on their rating out of HS and the fact they are transferring from Texas.

I think not succeeding at Texas was the reality check. No shame in transferring out to get playing time at a smaller school. 

• Hook 'Em 2

8 minutes ago, ousux said:
8 hours ago, BurntOrange&White said:
Monday morning updates of former Texas players

LTG to San Jose St
image.png.84bc86360f01a49f5b0c477dc02006de.png
BJ Allen and X'Avion Brice to North Texas
image.png.95545c7f0911770b2983224de6d3ebea.png
image.png.f58966f541087e9e6c4d93fbea386794.png

So none of them found quite the demand from the big boys they were expecting. Hopefully this is a learning experience for other prospective portal hoppers. (Assuming they don't need to jump in the motherfucker for reasons of they'll never play a down at Texas)

They likely weren't given a choice about staying. We basically replaced those 3 guys today.

• Hook 'Em 2

They likely weren't given a choice about staying. We basically replaced those 3 guys today.
I'm fully aware, none of those 3 will be missed. I just don't want a mass exodus of starters or potential starters like some programs have had. Seeing guys having to take whatever is offered has to help in that regard.

Just now, ousux said:
2 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

I'm fully aware, none of those 3 will be missed. I just don't want a mass exodus of starters or potential starters like some programs have had.

So again, what are you on about? The guys we’ve lost to the portal have a combined 9 starts. 

it’s likely we do lose some players in the 5 day window for playoff teams. 

• Hook 'Em 1

So again, what are you on about? The guys we’ve lost to the portal have a combined 9 starts. 

So again, wtf point are you trying to make? I made it clear it's not about those 3 specific players but rather the example they set for someone who is quality depth and may compete for a starting job thinking they can hop in the portal and have Bama, Georgia, tOSU etc hitting them up with offers. Hell even Maalik is finding slim pickings with landing spots now and he was once considered to be one of the most coveted portal QB's.

Sark will cull the herd if needed, not worried about that. I'm just saying we don't need to lose quality depth to the portal just because they may not have had the reps they feel like they should have. North Texas and Fresno State are simply warning signals to players maybe thinking of portalling but shouldn't.

1 minute ago, ousux said:

Sark will cull the herd if needed, not worried about that. I'm just saying we don't need to lose quality depth to the portal just because they may not have had the reps they feel like they should have. North Texas and Fresno State are simply warning signals to players maybe thinking of portalling but shouldn't.

...San Jose State

2024 Texas Transfer Tracker (Updated 12/17/23 5:40pm)

Spoiler

On3 Transfer Portal Wire: https://www.on3.com/transfer-portal/wire/football/2024/
This is the quick hits for Texas-related transfers only.

Out:
Offense
WR Casey Cain, WR Isaiah Neyor, OL Sawyer Goram-Welch, QB Maalik Murphy
Defense
S BJ Allen (North Texas), S Jalen Catalon, CB X'Avion Brice (North Texas), S Larry Turner-Gooden (San Jose State)

In: 
Offense
WR Matthew Golden
Defense
DB Andrew Mukuba

Targets (Estimated Needs): 

TE (0-1) Holden Staes (Notre Dame)

WR (1-2)  Antwane "Juice" Wells Jr. (South Carolina); Deion Burks (Purdue)Matthew Golden (Houston; visited 12/15)

DE (0-1) Trey Moore (UTSA; visited 12/9)

DL (0-1) Jamaree Caldwell (Houston)

DB (1-2) Andrew Mukuba (Clemson; visited 12/15)

K/P (1) 

• Hook 'Em 2

These guys ... Aggie 247 😂  😂  😂.

image.thumb.png.b8c5541cc9ec6cda6f41133b1e85ffdb.png

Yeah, 247 should have titled the article more accurately.

image.thumb.png.08e88157692768791f3c6874e2eeeb50.png

However, the text makes it clear it's a possibility, not a done deal.

image.thumb.png.00194507d9337f2e32e691076f953808.png

But no self-respecting Aggie would pass up the opportunity to throw a tantrum.

Tantrum Crying GIF

• Haha 2

25 minutes ago, ousux said:

I'm fully aware, none of those 3 will be missed. I just don't want a mass exodus of starters or potential starters like some programs have had. Seeing guys having to take whatever is offered has to help in that regard.

This isn't going to happen under the current coaching staff. There's a gulf of difference between the culture of our program and say, A&M. Mindset, attitude, all that stuff matters. People who like the work environment they are in, get along with colleagues, and feel they are being fairly compensated don't tend to do a lot of job-hopping. If the work culture is toxic, everyone's looking for the exit. The current, increasingly-professional version of college football won't be any different.

• Hook 'Em 4

43 minutes ago, ousux said:
45 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

You're wrong. If they expected better or wanted to pursue a higher profile place, they wouldn't have committed so quickly.

I don’t recall seeing it here, so apologies if already posted, but Baylor may not be a possibility for Maalik anymore after Toledo QB DeQuan Finn committed to BU yesterday. I’d honestly never heard of Finn, but he appears on some “Top Transfer QB” lists (ahead of Murphy in one I just looked at) and has a run game element MM doesn’t have. 

Edited by Vito Andolini
  • Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, ousux said:
1 hour ago, BurntOrange&White said:

So again, wtf point are you trying to make? I made it clear it's not about those 3 specific players but rather the example they set for someone who is quality depth and may compete for a starting job thinking they can hop in the portal and have Bama, Georgia, tOSU etc hitting them up with offers. Hell even Maalik is finding slim pickings with landing spots now and he was once considered to be one of the most coveted portal QB's.

I think the point is that these guys weren't competing for jobs or quality depth.  Players that are competing for jobs and are quality depth who transfer will get better offers than these so no lesson learned. 

2 hours ago, BurntOrange&White said:

We’re recruiting him as star/nickel but I’d guess we will use him there and safety

Babers said today that teams are hurting Texas defenses by formations that are forcing Texas safeties into coverage since PK does not allow the nickelback to travel.

So going forward, Texas might adjust by having better cover DBs that can play both nickelback and safety... interchangeable DBs.

Long explanation starts around 40:30 mark.

Coverage, speed, and interchangeable are key characteristics for nickel/safeties going forward.  Shut-down corners that will press more often too.  

Edited by LTtxfan
typo
  • Hook 'Em 7

• closetojumping changed the title to 2024 Transfer Thread - Brooks Was Here. So Was Red.