Supreme Court Justice Kennedy to Retire at the end of July

Hugo Stiglitz

24 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

So that's it right? This was all the right needed to pull back to their side the people who were going against Trump in the midterms. I'm with Brisket 100% now .

Yup. Hell, just look at Johnny, he’s had this boner for so long he should see a doctor. He’s never been as excited in his miserable life as he is right now about the power his guy’s got to trigger some libs.

6 minutes ago, wildcat09 said:

Yup. Hell, just look at Johnny, he’s had this boner for so long he should see a doctor. He’s never been as excited in his miserable life as he is right now about the power his guy’s got to trigger some libs.

I also enjoy aggy misery too much.  It’s a character flaw of mine.  Delusion and hysterics from people I enjoy seeing fail.

I disageee that my life is miserable though.   Overall, life is damn good.  

4 hours ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

As much as Trump disgusts me, I can’t imagine how enraging he must be for women and minorities right now and that bothers me even more. 

He is the opposite of everything America should be.

I’m just totally curious.

So like back in the day, you couldn’t stand this guy?

2 hours ago, Turkleton said:

I tell you what is scary. This is not hyperbole for most of them. These half-wits really believe this shit.  

Not all of us. Some of us know this is all temporary and that everything the Trump court does will be overturned when a liberal court takes over.

It's just annoying.

5 minutes ago, Pods said:

Anyone who could stand Trump back in the day is a shit bag themselves, or wasn't paying attention. He's exactly the same narcissistic shitgibbon he's always been. 

And he’s a Democrat to boot. 

1 hour ago, Biff Tannen said:

So that's it right? This was all the right needed to pull back to their side the people who were going against Trump in the midterms. I'm with Brisket 100% now .

Never go Full Brisket. It gets ugly. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Vince_McCoy_Williams said:

How bad will the Libshits melt down if Roe vs Wade is overturned?

I have never regretted my Trump vote for a second. He is giving me hope that morality will win in this country 

Damn right!! Grab morality in the pussy!!!!

1 hour ago, Vince_McCoy_Williams said:

How bad will the Libshits melt down if Roe vs Wade is overturned?

I have never regretted my Trump vote for a second. He is giving me hope that morality will win in this country (RIP abortion) and our future generations have a shot. First Repub to actually make a difference in a long fucking time and it is DONALD FUCKING TRUMP, the Apprentice Star, what a time to be alive!

First of all, abortion will never be outlawed in the United States. Second, everything he does on his own is going to be reversed the second a Democrat is in the White House. Third, the Supreme Court will be liberal one day and conservative jurisprudence will be overturned.

So that's cool.

4 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

First of all, abortion will never be outlawed in the United States. Second, everything he does on his own is going to be reversed the second a Democrat is in the White House. Third, the Supreme Court will be liberal one day and conservative jurisprudence will be overturned.

So that's cool.

First off, it will go to the states and become illegal in many of them. Second, a Dem president cannot reverse supreme court decisions. Third, I also heard that same story when HillDog was gonna beat Trump and cement a liberal majority for a generation. How is that one working out?  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

So that's cool.

dont-give-up-on-your-dreams.jpeg

4 minutes ago, Vince_McCoy_Williams said:

First off, it will go to the states and become illegal in many of them. Second, a Dem president cannot reverse supreme court decisions. Third, I also heard that same story when HillDog was gonna beat Trump and cement a liberal majority for a generation. How is that one working out?  

So you understand abortion will never be outlawed in the United States.

A Democrat will reverse all of his policies and executive orders.

The Supreme Court will be a liberal court again some day. Because history.

15 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

So you understand abortion will never be outlawed in the United States.

A Democrat will reverse all of his policies and executive orders.

The Supreme Court will be a liberal court again some day. Because history.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, bad_teammate said:

People are suffering right now. You don't notice because it's not you (or me), but we aren't getting regular 6-figure-attendance protests and demonstrations because people aren't suffering.

We were supposed to be talking about some violent uprising you had referenced. I think you have trouble keeping your bs straight. Not a shocker. 

Edited by Caddox

1 hour ago, David Dennison said:

So that's cool.

This is all true, it just likely will be far far into the future. 

Why is this being lauded by the right as some badass Trump win, MAGA type of thing. I get being pleased because choosing him meant that the replacement will be from the right. I disagree, but it’s at least logical.

However, I see some people here and elsewhere exclaiming “Trump is going to save us...I KNEW he was the guy to get it done!”

Get what done? Kennedy retiring? No voire on Garland? Choosing replacements from a list of conservative justices? ANY GOP president would have done the same.

1 hour ago, scottsins said:

Why is this being lauded by the right as some badass Trump win, MAGA type of thing. I get being pleased because choosing him meant that the replacement will be from the right. I disagree, but it’s at least logical.

However, I see some people here and elsewhere exclaiming “Trump is going to save us...I KNEW he was the guy to get it done!”

Get what done? Kennedy retiring? No voire on Garland? Choosing replacements from a list of conservative justices? ANY GOP president would have done the same.

I for one am not celebrating it as a trump win, but more of a win because of timing.  It wasn’t that long ago that Hillary was predicted to win in a landslide and was going to nominate potentially 3 judges over an 8 year term. Tables have turned and it’s a celebration of good fortune that a god awful candidate (Trump) was able to beat an even worse candidate in Hillary.

If Ginsberg retires with a Republican in office that’s when you will see the real fireworks.

Put me in the no way in hell abortion is outlawed camp, but these days anything is a possibility. Could it be a State by state issue? Perhaps. Regardless, the Democrats will use this as a rallying cry during midterms since nothing else seems to be working. 

1 hour ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

Because propaganda works.  It’s like the North Korea summit which was nothing more than a propaganda event for both sides.

No, because had queen bee Hillary won, the Supreme Court would have been tilted left by now.  This is akin to being on the one yard line and about to score, fumbling, and having the opposing team run it back for a td. And possibly recovering an onside kick on the ensuing kickoff. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Pancho Negro said:

Well you and your party are about to send blacks back to Africa, so maybe people should revolt. 

Haha wait what? Aren’t we at historical rate of low unemployment for African Americans? Why do all that to send them somewhere else?

I saw someone else posting a tweet about banning Muslims...are they referring to the Travel ban from terrorist sponsor countries? If so, quite the leap.

9 minutes ago, scottsins said:

A significant number of them think that abortion = murder of babies.

Then we can just wait until after they're born and lock them in a cage.  Too bad Senator Roy Moore wasn't available to check on the teenage girls.

Spare us the false outrage and concern over children.....

26 minutes ago, scottsins said:

A significant number of them think that abortion = murder of babies.

My argument is the campaign issue of the opportunity to overturn Roe vs Wade has gained the Republicans so much power over years, why would they want to take that off the table?

”We are this close to overturning Roe vs Wade, we just need one or two more Justices to get it done. Please contribute to my campaign. We can get this done.”

If Roe vs Wade is overturned, the sales pitch is less convincing.  

Edited by Hugo Stiglitz

33 minutes ago, Aqua Buddha said:

Now that Roe is in serious jeopardy, watch the white suburban woman vote shift hard to the Dems.  Every one of us knows a woman that has had an abortion.

And everyone of us knows someone who rails against it, and will celebrate if it is outlawed, who has either had an abortion or was the male partner of someone who did, and either paid for it or was glad that it happened. When it's personal everything changes. 

• Like 1

Considering the disproportionate number of blacks that are killed by abortions in this country every year, are we really sure Nazi Trump will appoint someone who would overturn Roe v Wade?  Right now it's about 870 black babies per day, you'd think a racist like Trump would want to keep that Eugenics program going.

• Like 1

Serious question, why would the Republicans want Roe vs Wade overturned?

Serious answer: Most don't. A few hard core religious right do because "Jesus". Both parties have their "poles". It would be the same as asking "Why do Democrats want open borders?".

I know they don't, but a few on the far left do. Vocal minority always grabs the headlines...

1 hour ago, Aqua Buddha said:

Now that Roe is in serious jeopardy, watch the white suburban woman vote shift hard to the Dems.  Every one of us knows a woman that has had an abortion.

I don't think Roe is in serious jeopardy. But you are correct, this would be a seminal moment in politics. 

I think we are "fooled" by social media into believing that LOUD = MANY. Yeah, we've all got that nutjob on Facebook who posts abortion propaganda, but that's not the majority.

Most women want the choice and most men don't want to deal with the consequences. 

4 minutes ago, Cheeseweasel said:

I don't think Roe is in serious jeopardy. But you are correct, this would be a seminal moment in politics. 

I think we are "fooled" by social media into believing that LOUD = MANY. Yeah, we've all got that nutjob on Facebook who posts abortion propaganda, but that's not the majority.

Most women want the choice and most men don't want to deal with the consequences. 

I do find it somewhat kind of difficult to see Roberts' legacy being overturning THAT precedent out of all precedents.

3 hours ago, scottsins said:

No other GOP president would tell the Orwellian media to fuck off.  They would have bent over backwards to avoid criticism.  Actually I take that back.  They just would have bent over.  Trump has made the left pull back the curtain and show their true colors.  The other GOP candidates would have been scared shitless to face the slings and arrows that would be flying when that curtain comes down.  The #1 concern of establishment politicians are their established political careers.  A non-politician can say fuck it and upset the applecart because he is not concerned about his political career.

Serious question, why would the Republicans want Roe vs Wade overturned?

Why do the Democrats want it?  If the Democrats target demographic is minorities, women, and poor people think how many more of them could now be voting for Democrats if they hadn't been aborted between 1972 and 2000.  Democrat logic, banning a process that has resulted in millions of baby girls never being born is an anti-women positiion.

13 minutes ago, Js1 said:

I do find it somewhat kind of difficult to see Roberts' legacy being overturning THAT precedent out of all precedents.

I don't think he wants that on his Wiki page, but who knows what cases will come up in the next 5-10 years.

Is it just me, or does there seem to be a strong misunderstanding of how SCOTUS works? Watching the responses last night it seems as if people think the Court pulls out pen and paper & says "OK! We've got a majority! Let's write some shit that overturns Roe!". 

I think we need to make Civics mandatory before you get a Facebook/Twitter account or go on the news.

21 minutes ago, Cheeseweasel said:

I don't think he wants that on his Wiki page, but who knows what cases will come up in the next 5-10 years.

Is it just me, or does there seem to be a strong misunderstanding of how SCOTUS works? Watching the responses last night it seems as if people think the Court pulls out pen and paper & says "OK! We've got a majority! Let's write some shit that overturns Roe!". 

I think we need to make Civics mandatory before you get a Facebook/Twitter account or go on the news.

Because so many see the role of the court being judicial activism (vs judicial restraint)

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Cheeseweasel said:

This. It's a layup for lazy journalists and obviously an easy rally cry for those on the left to rile up the already "turned up to 11" base. 

Don't get me wrong the right does this all the time as well. It's an over reaction based on scare tactics, in many/most cases that never even come close to actually happening. 

we had a strict conservative in scalia. i don't think we really know what gorsuch will do in the next ruling or 5 years from now. we always knew trump was getting 2-3 justices, because of scalia, and the general age of the justices.
and i'm a weirdo, but i prefer a conservative supreme court. what i worry about is that pendulum swinging into a rubber stamp. i happen to hope that the justices on the surpreme court aren't overly activist, however, and i hope that decisions will continue to be balanced.
a cynic is only a frustrated optimist, after all.

The rulings coming out this week are a rubber stamp.

9 minutes ago, Fozzz said:

Was Brown v Board an instance of judicial activism?  

Yes.  That also doesn't mean it's inherently bad either.  The ruling, or uses of activism.  Just as restraint isn't a default "good" position 100% of the time.

Edited by BabaYaga