Supreme Court Justice Kennedy to Retire at the end of July

Hugo Stiglitz

By all accounts, Barrett is falling and Hardiman is rising.

I think it'll be Hardiman. Mitch is in his ear that Hardiman will be confirmed without a single problem. Also Trump's sister is recommending Hardiman.

Kavanaugh is the Bush bitch and Trump hates the Bushes.  Huge paper trail that will take a long time to sort through, which is basically the only avenue the Dem minority has right now to stall (not through midterms, but at least stall and keep anyone from being sat at the start of the new SCOTUS term).

Of course, it's Trump, so he'll probably have all 4 of them behind the curtain because he doesn't even know. It's a feeling.

Edited by Js1

Amy Coney Barrett is the hardest person for the left to attack so i'd put money on her being the pick.

Can't say she is sexist..  Can't call her racist (adopted 2 kids from Haiti).  Religion can't be used as a basis for discriminating against her.  Non-stop bashing of Catholics is probably not the best way to keep hispanics happy going into midterms.

• Like 1

So total identity politics. Got it. Thought that was bad?  "Omg you only voted for Hillary because she's a woman!"

"Wow, we have to pick this Catholic woman for SCOTUS so no one can attack her!"

1 minute ago, Js1 said:

So total identity politics. Got it. Thought that was bad?  "Omg you only voted for Hillary because she's a woman!"

It shouldn't be like that but that's the world we live in.

Correct me if i'm wrong but it does narrow the avenues of criticism for the nominee. 

4 minutes ago, Js1 said:

It’s a pretty terrible way to choose a justice but this is all a reality show...

It’s pretty absurd to think this administration is going to nominate someone that isn’t a white male to the Supreme Court.

Have y’all not been paying attention?

https://www.google.com/amp/www.chicagotribune.com/news/nationworld/politics/ct-trump-blacks-judges-20171113-story,amp.html

Edited by Hugo Stiglitz

5 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

It’s pretty absurd to think this administration is going to nominate someone that isn’t a white male to the Supreme Court.

Have y’all not been paying attention?

Don't worry, I'm sure you'll find a 6 degree of Kevin bacon/Russia to help you get over your surprise.

Edited by udaydanceparty
  • Like 5
  • Haha 1

24 minutes ago, udaydanceparty said:

Amy Coney Barrett is the hardest person for the left to attack so i'd put money on her being the pick.

Can't say she is sexist..  Can't call her racist (adopted 2 kids from Haiti).  Religion can't be used as a basis for discriminating against her.  Non-stop bashing of Catholics is probably not the best way to keep hispanics happy going into midterms.

I think she's the person he should pick, based on his promises to his base.  That said, it would surprise me to see him elevate a brilliant, devout woman to a position of power over him.  It will be interesting. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

Even putting aside identity politics, Barrett is a total unknown other than being openly Catholic and pro life.  If anything, there’s more Souter potential with her than with Kavanaugh and Kethledge since she has no track record and everyone is just assuming she is Scalia-lite because abortion.  

Oh well.  I suppose to most of the base abortion is all they really care about from SCOTUS, anyway.

What was Kagan's experience as a justice?  Zero... 

This move would also put 4 Supreme Court Justices as women.  Trump should absolutely do it.

13 minutes ago, tantric superman said:

That's a lot of kids even for a Catholic.

She adopted 2 kids from Haiti.  3-5 is pretty normal for a Catholic family.

Edited by udaydanceparty
  • Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

48 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

Oh well.  I suppose to most of the base abortion is all they really care about from SCOTUS, anyway.

Dont forget about gun control. There are still a lot of conflicting decisions in the lower court about how to apply Heller. The court hasn't touched it recently because they weren't sure they'd have a pro gun majority and the liberal justices were afraid they would.

• Like 1

Buzz right now is Kavanaugh.  Supposedly left the court house in a black sedan (secret service issue).

Though I still think at least 2, if not all 4, finalists will be there.  #ratings

2 hours ago, longhornmatt said:

Even putting aside identity politics, Barrett is a total unknown other than being openly Catholic and pro life.  If anything, there’s more Souter potential with her than with Kavanaugh and Kethledge since she has no track record and everyone is just assuming she is Scalia-lite because abortion.  

She actually has a history of acknowledging that originalism is essentially nonsense, so she's actually quite a bit different from most of the other candidates.

Hardiman - least contentious, most likely to be confirmed with 4-5 D votes.  He's somewhere between Roberts and Kennedy, so a lot of red state Democrats can live with it.

Barrett - most contentious, hardest to confirm but "will own the libs."  Most likely to pass 50-49 + Pence (assuming McCain ain't coming back for it).  Teeny tiny, miniscule possibility of getting blown up if she says the wrong thing to Collins or Murkowski.

Kavanaugh - typical GOP pick, but does it "own the libs enough?" and also he's a Bush guy with the biggest paper trail.  Most likely to end up passing with 51 or 52 votes.

All three red-state Ds who confirmed Gorsuch + Collins all declined Trump's invite be at the announcement.

Edited by Js1

41 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Buzz right now is Kavanaugh.  Supposedly left the court house in a black sedan (secret service issue).

Though I still think at least 2, if not all 4, finalists will be there.  #ratings

One of them will put on a MAGA hat?

Then someone will throw a coke on them?

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Yeah I think that just means he's a finalist. That said, he's the guy who I think it goes to.   Reliable right-wing idealogue who will staunchly support presidential power.  Barrett will be saved to replace RBG, but no way Trump bets the 5-4 swing on her.  Hardiman is a loser because he was runner-up last time.   Just my guess. 

3 hours ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

I hate to disagree with you but much of Trump’s base think women shouldn’t even have the right to vote.

Yawn. 

It’s gonna be Barrett.  This is about owning the libs everybody.  Roe v Wade isn’t getting overturned.  She won’t say anything suggesting that.  Let Dems kick and scream at a woman. 

Nevermind.  Fuck I had her confused with Amy St. Eve and could have sworn she was a district court judge.

Well, hell, she's judicially inexperienced, but so are a lot of them.  At least she isn't a total government/DOJ wonk like most of them.

Edited by TwiceHorn

12 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

“Right where she belongs!”

-Trump base

I think the base understands that with RBG getting so old and senile that Sonia and Elena need help making the sandwiches for the male justices.  So, Barrett is gonna stay in the kitchen, therefore it’s fine.  

14 minutes ago, FondrenRoad said:

It's on ESPN. Trump has a bunch of hats with names on it. Will put on the winner hat at 8 and thank Cleveland fans for their support. 

Is he going to pretend to grab one red MAGA hat, only to put it down and pick up another red MAGA hat?  All while the crowd ooh's and aah's?  That would be cool.  

10 minutes ago, Js1 said:

He’s picking the dude who says he can’t be indicted. Big surprise. Trump looking out for Trump first and foremost. 

WASHINGTON — Judge Brett M. Kavanaugh, the front-runner to replace Justice Anthony M. Kennedyon the Supreme Court, once argued that President Bill Clinton could be impeached for lying to his staff and misleading the public, a broad definition of obstruction of justice that would be damaging if applied to President Trump in the Russia investigation.

Judge Kavanaugh’s arguments — expressed in the report of the independent counsel, Kenneth W. Starr, which he co-wrote nearly 20 years ago — have been cited in recent days by Republicans with reservations about him and have raised concerns among some people close to Mr. Trump. But Judge Kavanaugh has reconsidered some of his views since then, and there is no evidence that they have derailed his candidacy.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/mobile.nytimes.com/2018/07/05/us/politics/brett-kavanaugh-supreme-court-impeachment.amp.html