Supreme Court Justice Kennedy to Retire at the end of July

Hugo Stiglitz

20 minutes ago, EMAWesome said:

Let me come out and say what half this board is thinking but doesn't feel it is worth the time and effort to make the point.  You are an idiot.

Apparently I'm not trying hard enough.  Thanks for the heads up.

On 6/27/2018 at 12:08 PM, deech said:

RIP Roe v. Wade.  

RvW passed with 6 judges on the bench appointed by Republicans. Obamacare passed with a Republican majority. Don't think you have much to worry about.

Edited by maninblack
  • Like 2

14 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

It's very relevant. Donald Trump will always be tainted with a hint of illegitimacy because of that popular vote total. 

Adams, Hays and Harrison... All concur you should post less.  Bush is too busy painting ugly watercolors

9 minutes ago, maninblack said:

RvW passed with 6 judges on the bench appointed by Republicans. Obamacare passed with a Republican majority. Don't think you have much to worry about.

Those were thinking Republicans.  They went the way of the Dinosaur.

12 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

Roe vs Wade is a ruse.  It’s not getting overturned.  Both sides will use it as a motivator to get out the vote.

I hope you're right, because if it isn't overturned with an honest to goodness 5-4 conservative court, the right will lose its mind even more than it normally does.

And that will be really, really funny.

Edited by David Dennison

47 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

But real. Even he thinks so, which is what the whole voter fraud clown show is about.

Poolflood is stealing my thunder here but if he hadn't posted I would bet that without using a search engine you would be unable to name any president other than Bush and Trump who had won the electoral college without winning the popular vote.  That would disprove your point right there.   

12 hours ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

The thing that concerns me isn’t as much about Trump but Kennedy and his relationship with his son regarding dark money in politics and citizens united. 

Citizen’s United was a 5-4 decision with Kennedy writing the opinion of the court.  His son was in clear position to personally benefit from the decision and it looks like he may have capitalized.

How much influence did Kennedy’s son have on his dad’s views regarding this topic? We will never know but it stinks. 

This is why I am sort of ambivalent about his resignation. The guy was a hack for Republican business interests, and always consistent about it. Sure he broke ranks on certain social issues. But the owners don’t give a shit about those issues anyway.

Edited by JimmyJames
  • Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

On 6/29/2018 at 5:56 PM, David Dennison said:

Bob Bullock was primarily responsible for his success as governor. 

Only one term of Shrub and also Ann's LtGov.

Shrub did a good job as Texas governor when Texas politics weren't as poisonous as they are today.  An R getting along with Bullock is itself something of an accomplishment.  He "reached across the aisle" in a way that we sorely miss today at the state and national levels.

But he really got hold of the wrong bunch of cabinet members and advisors when he got to DC.  He wasn't smart enough or personally strong enough (I think GWHB probably told him to get rid of more than one of them and he refused to take his advice because Dad).

Edited by TwiceHorn

4 hours ago, Nivek said:

Those were thinking Republicans.  They went the way of the Dinosaur.

[pushesglassesupbridgeofnose] Actually, birds evolved from dinosaurs and have enjoyed a spectacular evolutionary radiation that continues to this day with 9,000 - 10,000 species of living birds. You mean, they went the way of the non-avian dinosaurs and are extinct. In that case, it's an excellent metaphor. [/pushesglassesupbridgeofnose]

On 6/29/2018 at 6:55 PM, DDD Dad said:

Boy this thread has just about everything for everyone.

Kennedy was thought to be very conservative judge when he was appointed, albeit he was Reagan's third choice after Bork and Ginsberg's nominations were scuttled.  He has been pretty consistently conservative in many of his views, especially those involving free market ideas.  Where he has become the "swing" judge has been primarily on human rights issues, such as gay rights in particular.  This year's wedding cake opinion appeared to be one where he probably struggled most, with two primary interests running counter to each other.  Perhaps it explains why the ruling was so narrow.

If I were to guess at his reasons for retiring, it would be that he's over 80, he's tired (and perhaps but hopefully not ill), there is a Republican president and senate in place, and to the extent he hopes that his successor follows in his footsteps, he thinks it is more likely that a similarly minded judge will be appointed now than under a Democratic president (and most certainly a Democratic president with a Democratic Party controlled senate). 

Ascribing more to this than these basic points is crazy talk.

Bingo. FWIW, I hope we have MORE judges like Kennedy on the Court, not less.

• Like 2

On 6/30/2018 at 10:23 PM, Pods said:

This is why I hate Twitter. The case that will go before the Court has NOTHING to do with what Tribe describes. He's betting no one will read the article. It's the equivalent of a shitty headline that has NOTHING to do with the article. 

• Like 1

On 6/30/2018 at 12:44 AM, Pods said:

[pushesglassesupbridgeofnose] Actually, birds evolved from dinosaurs and have enjoyed a spectacular evolutionary radiation that continues to this day with 9,000 - 10,000 species of living birds. You mean, they went the way of the non-avian dinosaurs and are extinct. In that case, it's an excellent metaphor. [/pushesglassesupbridgeofnose]

I thought that was explicitly understood by all.  I am a Texas Geology Alum.   Admittedly,  I tend to think everyone knows this stuff.  Even my 6 yr old does.  /wears glasses near the tip

Edited by Nivek
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Nivek said:

I thought that was explicitly understood by all.  I am a Texas Geology Alum.   Admittedly,  I tend to think everyone knows this stuff.  Even my 6 yr old does.  /wears glasses near the tip

It's pretty universally accepted and has been for quite a while. There's still a couple of holdouts, mostly bird people that feel like birds evolving from dinosaurs makes birds less unique or special in some way. It's a weird pushback. There are still a couple of holdouts in paleontology, but they are retired and everyone pretty much accepts it. 

UT folks accepted the birds from dinosaurs hypothesis faster, because Tim Rowe was a big proponent of it back in the 90's in his dinosaurs class and they've had some really high profile fossils get scanned on the high resolution CT scanner in the basement at the Jackson School. Julia Clarke, who is there now, has done a lot of really cool stuff on early birds and related dinosaurs. 

Birds evolving from dinosaurs is getting decently well known by the public. The amazing fossils coming out of China have helped build public awareness quite a bit.

It would help a lot if the guys doing Jurassic Park gave any shits about getting the science even half-way accurate, but they don't, so that leaves occasional dinosaur articles and Dinosaur Train as our vehicles for getting the message out. 

Edited by Pods

On 6/29/2018 at 9:00 PM, David Dennison said:

I hope you're right, because if it isn't overturned with an honest to goodness 5-4 conservative court, the right will lose its mind even more than it normally does.

And that will be really, really funny.

I want it overturned and to create precedent to give more power to the states. Then I want it to domino until we can peacefully dissolve the union. 

6 hours ago, Pods said:

It's pretty universally accepted and has been for quite a while. There's still a couple of holdouts, mostly bird people that feel like birds evolving from dinosaurs makes birds less unique or special in some way. It's a weird pushback. There are still a couple of holdouts in paleontology, but they are retired and everyone pretty much accepts it. 

UT folks accepted the birds from dinosaurs hypothesis faster, because Tim Rowe was a big proponent of it back in the 90's in his dinosaurs class and they've had some really high profile fossils get scanned on the high resolution CT scanner in the basement at the Jackson School. Julia Clarke, who is there now, has done a lot of really cool stuff on early birds and related dinosaurs. 

Birds evolving from dinosaurs is getting decently well known by the public. The amazing fossils coming out of China have helped build public awareness quite a bit.

It would help a lot if the guys doing Jurassic Park gave any shits about getting the science even half-way accurate, but they don't, so that leaves occasional dinosaur articles and Dinosaur Train as our vehicles for getting the message out. 

Dinosaur Train!!!!! Dinosaur train. Once upon a time, there was a mom. Her name was Mrs. Pteranodon. Sitting on her nest, she heard a cracking and said Oh, boy, my eggs are hatching!

thats just quality writing right there. 

• Like 1

On 6/29/2018 at 7:54 PM, Hugo Stiglitz said:

Roe vs Wade is a ruse.  It’s not getting overturned.  Both sides will use it as a motivator to get out the vote.

Both sides use it to distract mightily from more pertinent, looming issues.

That isn't to dismiss the weight of the issue of abortion, but the ruling isn't going to be overturned in our lifetimes.  It's a political filibuster, so they don't have to address other things.

11 hours ago, FondrenRoad said:

I want it overturned and to create precedent to give more power to the states. Then I want it to domino until we can peacefully dissolve the union. 

And why would you want that to happen? You haven’t enjoyed hitting the life jackpot and living in a first world country?

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Pods said:

What a nightmare T. Rex sized grackles would be.

• Like 1

On 6/29/2018 at 7:35 PM, David Dennison said:

It's very relevant. Donald Trump will always be tainted with a hint of illegitimacy because of that popular vote total. 

in the mind of sad sacks like yourself, maybe.  good luck in 2024. 

53 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

I really enjoy that a thread about replacing a supreme court justice somehow skewed into the discussion of the evolution of dinosaurs to birds.

That's a danger any time I'm involved, but I try to keep it to a minimum. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 7/4/2018 at 6:30 AM, Enchubben said:

Dinosaur Train!!!!! Dinosaur train. Once upon a time, there was a mom. Her name was Mrs. Pteranodon. Sitting on her nest, she heard a cracking and said Oh, boy, my eggs are hatching!

thats just quality writing right there. 

goddamnit, now I've got that song stuck in my head. Thanks a lot, fucker. 

4 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

I’m going with this guy.

Ugh, Rick Santorum's favorite.

I know Cocaine Mitch has been telling Trumpy Bear that Hardiman would be one of the easiest to confirm, along with Kethledge.  Kavanaugh has a huge paper trail from his Bush WH days, plus I don't see Trump picking a Bush loyalist. Barrett is the one most likely to put Collins and Murkowski on the fence.

On 7/4/2018 at 12:02 AM, Pods said:

Gotcha.   You have to consider that Jurassic Park fucked up the geophysics before they got to the dinosaurs part, so that is pretty much a given.   The Betsy Seisgun (shotgun basically) being used as a source for a GPR (electromagnetic technique) then displaying a fully articulated image was pretty special.   

Prediction time. Our twitter troll in chief will pick Barrett, setting a trap for dems. Dems predictably foam at the mouth and grandstand against a nomination they have no chance of stopping. She gets confirmed and the pubs look a little better going into the midterms (for their base) because they delivered on scotus and dems looks bad for railing against a catholic mother of 34.