Supreme Court Justice Kennedy to Retire at the end of July

Hugo Stiglitz

I haven’t watched since election 2016, but MSNBC is awesome now.  The Planned Parenthood lady, Neera Tanden on a panel and Corey Booker shouting in the background at some fruitless protest at the Supreme Court. 

Are abortions illegal tomorrow?  Will women be allowed access to birth control going forward?  If Trump can’t be indicted, can he and Putin finally get on with their real plan for world domination?  

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 6/30/2018 at 10:18 PM, Pods said:

It's going to be Kavanaugh. He's the biggest proponent of executive power. He'll vote that Trump can't be investigated. 

Only needed to know his view on one issue to know Kavanaugh was the pick. This one was really obvious. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, GRHorn said:

I haven’t watched since election 2016, but MSNBC is awesome now.  The Planned Parenthood lady, Neera Tanden on a panel and Corey Booker shouting in the background at some fruitless protest at the Supreme Court. 

Are abortions illegal tomorrow?  Will women be allowed access to birth control going forward?  If Trump can’t be indicted, can he and Putin finally get on with their real plan for world domination?  

Booker wasn’t pleased. 

8 minutes ago, Chuckie Finster said:

Yeah, I genuinely do appreciate that Trump appears to take the SCOTUS seriously.

I guess it says a lot that I even have to say that, but it is what it is.

This is the one thing Republicans won't give him a pass on if he were to buck the system. As long as he gives them this, he is free to do all the other insane shit.

• Like 1

I’m glad Hugo and others are giving Trump props for selecting Kavanaugh. As divisive as some of his actions have been, Trump’s picks for Supreme Court have to reassure anyone that is intellectually honest. He has picked a qualified candidate who has a chance to heal some of the divisions in this country if the intolerant, militant left would give him a chance.

Edited by Iconoclast Texan

5 minutes ago, Iconoclast Texan said:

I’m glad Hugo and others are giving Trump props for selecting Kavanaugh. As divisive as some of his actions have been, Trump’s picks for Supreme Court have to reassure anyone that is intellectually honest. He has picked a qualified candidate who has a chance to heal some of the divisions in this country if the intolerant, militant left would give him a chance.

lulz

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Iconoclast Texan said:

17 minutes ago, Iconoclast Texan said:

This asshole (Trump) is the most divisive President in history. He picked a guy with a resume that will get him confirmed.  That doesn't have jack shit to do with "healing divisions".

Mussolini made the trains run on time.  Trump picked Ivy League judges.  Great.

Edited by tantric superman
  • Like 3

Chuck Schumer was in rare form today on the floor of the Senate. This is a guy who has never worked a day a day of his life in the private sector as a career politician, which would be abhorrent to our Founding Fathers.

https://www.cnn.com/videos/politics/2018/07/09/sen-chuck-schumer-supreme-court-pick-sot-vpx.cnn/video/playlists/trumps-supreme-court-nomination/

Edited by Iconoclast Texan

Just now, tantric superman said:

This asshole (Trump) is the most divisive President in history. He picked a guy with a resume that will get him confirmed.  That doesn't have jack shit to do with "healing divisions".

"Mussolini made the trains run on time".  Trump picked Ivy League judges.  Great.

A small part of you isn't surprised he didn't pick a TV judge?  

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, F250 said:

This is the one thing Republicans won't give him a pass on if he were to buck the system. As long as he gives them this, he is free to do all the other insane shit.

Yep, he is so utterly clueless as to the law and how the judicial system works that he has to defer to those in the know, and he knows he can't get away with appointing some knuckledragger like Cohen or Marc Kasowitz, or a TV lawyer.  He did, however, appoint an ND Ill district judge to the Seventh Circuit after she ruled in his favor on one of the seemingly infinite number of lawsuits against him.

Ain't no healing of divisions going on here.  This is realpolitik at work.

Edited by TwiceHorn
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

Is it just me or does protesting at the Supreme Court seem to reflect a rather fundamental misunderstanding of its role in our government?

Lack of civics classes and leftist indoctrination at college gets us to where we are now. The peer pressure on college campuses to hew to such hysteria must be out of control. Some douchebag yelled at me for having Bob Dole campaign literature back in 96. Bob Dole! Think of how suffocating it must be right now on college campuses who don’t buy into the bullshit.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Iconoclast Texan said:

Lack of civics classes and leftist indoctrination at college gets us to where we are now. The peer pressure on college campuses to hew to such hysteria must be out of control. Some douchebag yelled at me for having Bob Dole campaign literature back in 96. Bob Dole! Think of how suffocating it must be right now on college campuses who don’t buy into the bullshit.

Lake of education makes some forget Art. 2, Section 2 of the Constitution which provides for the Consent of the Senate, which therefore explains why protests and other techniques designed to sway Senators make perfect sense.

5 minutes ago, tantric superman said:

Lake of education makes some forget Art. 2, Section 2 of the Constitution which provides for the Consent of the Senate, which therefore explains why protests and other techniques designed to sway Senators make perfect sense.

Good luck.  Let’s also get guys like Robert O’Rourke and the red state senators up for election to go on record about this pick.  

For Texans, a vote for Robert O’Rourke means you’re giving a senate vote to Schumer.  

Edited by Johnny Sack

1 minute ago, Johnny Sack said:

Good luck.  Let’s also get guys like Robert O’Rourke and the red state senators up for election to go on record about this pick.  

Is Robert O'Rourke the new Barack Hussein Obama, II?  Is that you, Swam?  Did you steal Johnny's username during the website switch?

Just now, Tom said:

Is Robert O'Rourke the new Barack Hussein Obama, II?  Is that you, Swam?  Did you steal Johnny's username during the website switch?

It’s not perjorative. It’s his name.  Rafael Cruz versus Robert O’Rourke.  I’m voting for the Hispanic immigrant over the privileged white male. 

1 minute ago, Johnny Sack said:

Beto should go on record about Kavanaugh.  Texans deserve to know what they are getting. 

Cruz should go on record about the things he said about Trump, and the things Trump said about him.  Texans deserve to know what they are getting.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, atomheartbevo said:

Cruz should go on record about the things he said about Trump, and the things Trump said about him.  Texans deserve to know what they are getting.

Isn’t all that already on the record?

i suspect Rafael Cruz will vote to confirm this nominee. O’Rourke should go on record.