Supreme Court Justice Kennedy to Retire at the end of July

Hugo Stiglitz

29 minutes ago, Johnny Sack said:

A lot of my fans here bring it up daily.  Instead of addressing what I post.  

If you’ve been outed here as a legit rich guy, it’s probably best to ignore them.  They’re never gonna forgive you not matter what. 

• Like 1

I’m not a fan of going after someone here for personal shit that has nothing to do with the topic at hand. I don’t think that’s good for this board which is not doing as well as its predecessor in my opinion. Lay off the attacks on Johnny Sack for aspects of his personal life that have nothing to do with the thread. Douches like Patricio Swayze bring up my past troubles as a way to discredit or shout me down for fucking rooting for Argentina in the World Cup. If your personal life is relevant to a topic on a thread or to poke fun at in a humorous that’s one thing. A good tailored jersey joke is appreciated on my end, douchetastic assholes like Patricio Swayze can go fuck themselves 

• Like 1

On 7/10/2018 at 4:41 PM, F250 said:

This, I am not a liberal, progressive, leftist or Democrat. As a libertarian, I always related to the Republican fiscal stance up until the election of Trump. Then the GOP lost their fucking minds and went full blown bat shit crazy.

The party has become protectionist, anti-immigration, Keynesian (but in a retarded way), isolationist, and blatantly racist (welcoming the Alt-right).

They chased out George Fucking Will. This is not your father's Republican Party.

The GOP fiscal stance has been a charade for quite a while now and I have detested the social views for longer.  I can't stomach any of it anymore and it isn't just Trump or Trumpism.

10 minutes ago, Iconoclast Texan said:

I’m not a fan of going after someone here for personal shit that has nothing to do with the topic at hand. I don’t think that’s good for this board which is not doing as well as its predecessor in my opinion. Lay off the attacks on Johnny Sack for aspects of his personal life that have nothing to do with the thread. Douches like Patricio Swayze bring up my past troubles as a way to discredit or shout me down for fucking rooting for Argentina in the World Cup. If your personal life is relevant to a topic on a thread or to poke fun at in a humorous that’s one thing. A good tailored jersey joke is appreciated on my end, douchetastic assholes like Patricio Swayze can go fuck themselves 

Valid point.  I give you tons of credit for owning that shit.  F the offseason.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, phdhorn said:

Well, congratulations Johnny on being nominated to the Supreme Court. Obviously, since this thread is now mostly about you, that must be what happened.

Well he’s a rich straight white male so he’s 90% of the way there.  Argggggg.   

22 minutes ago, Iconoclast Texan said:

i tend to agree with this, especially in your case, as it was shared through by a third party.

however, for those who self-inflict these types of wounds, i have tremendously less sympathy.

• Like 1

Judge Kavanaugh loves him some credit card debt. Sounds like the perfect Republican. Talk a big game about fiscal responsibility but not necessarily abide by it. 

In 2016, Kavanaugh reported having between $60,000 to $200,000 in debt accrued over three credit cards and a personal loan. Each credit card held between $15,000 to $50,000 in debt, and a Thrift Savings Plan loan was between $15,000 to $50,000.

The credit card debts and loan were either paid off or fell below the reporting requirements in 2017, according to the filings, which do not require details on the nature or source of such payments. Shah told The Post that Kavanaugh’s friends reimbursed him for their share of the baseball tickets and that the judge has since stopped purchasing the season tickets.

His past financial disclosure forms reveal that Kavanaugh has carried significant credit card debt — on and off — for more than a decade. He previously reported between $60,000 to $200,000 in debt among three credit cards and a loan in 2006, the same year he was confirmed to the U.S. Court of Appeals for the D.C. Circuit.

Edited by Jive Turkey
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Jive Turkey said:

Judge Kavanaugh loves him some credit card debt. Sounds like the perfect Republican. Talk a big game about fiscal responsibility but not necessarily abide by it. 

Probably that Texas sorority girl wife of his never got over the partner at Kirkland & Ellis thing. Apparently neither did he.  Even in DC, they should probably be able to make do on $220k plus what she gets.

22 minutes ago, Jive Turkey said:

A few things:

(1) I carry plenty of credit card debt in the form of 0% APR 0% fee offers. I will continue to do so as long as they offer it.

(2) His position as federal judge provides a bit more financial security than normal citizens could get. Although it wouldn't be my personal approach, someone in his position could more freely spend and worry less about investing since he basically has a guaranteed source of income forever. 

How he has only managed to acquire assets of <$70,000 (excluding house I believe) I don't really understand. But again, it could be partly due to (2). I don't think it means anything as to his qualifications to be a judge. 

Edited by Dahobbs
  • Like 2

Sounds like a broke ass motherfucker to me, unless he has all his shit tied up in DC real estate. Should have been a private sector lawyer stooge. That would make WaPo happy. 

Kavanaugh’s most recent financial disclosure forms reveal assets between $15,000 and $65,000, which would put him at the bottom of the financial ranking of justices, most of whom list well over $1 million in assets. The value of residences is not subject to disclosure, and Shah added that Kavanaugh has a government retirement account worth nearly half a million dollars that also was not required to be disclosed. Unlike some of the other justices, Kavanaugh has worked more than two decades in the public sector and has not built wealth as a private lawyer.

Edited by Anastasis

2 hours ago, Jive Turkey said:

Wow that’s pretty shocking to find out. It’s one thing to be stupid and incur credit card debt when in your 20s, another thing at all to be in your 50s and have that much credit card debt for frivolous items. If it was for fancy private school for his kids that would make it slightly less egregious but still stupid. 

Somewhere I saw he lives in Chevy Chase, MD in a $900k house.  He's been in government service a great deal of his adult life and has assets befitting a government employee, honestly.  I hope he plowed that K&E salary/profit share straight into that house.

Since I'm never going to make Supreme Court justice, I'm vaguely gruntled that I have more money than him.  Lmao.

Edited by TwiceHorn

Runs up credit card bills, pays 'em off.  Sounds pretty, uh, well, uh, boring to me.

Sounds like me.  And oh, I dunno 140 million other people.

This is going to be good, this is.  They'll probably find he got a hole punched in his achievement snowman, instead of a gold star, in third grade.  THEN shit will hit the fan, it will!

I am laughing out loud at this latest thing.

• Like 4

10 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

Somewhere I saw he lives in Chevy Chase, MD in a $900k house.  He's been in government service a great deal of his adult life and has assets befitting a government employee, honestly.  I hope he plowed that K&E salary/profit share straight into that house.

Since I'm never going to make Supreme Court justice, I'm vaguely gruntled that I have more money than him.  Lmao.

Dammit.

I wish I'd chosen Vaguely Gruntled as my user name.

• Like 1

Just now, udaydanceparty said:

Uh oh.. he agree with a racist on an unrelated topic. Must mean he's a racist. Guess he should be crossed off the list.

Don't speak that way about Brett's "first judicial hero."

12 hours ago, burntorangebongos said:

maybe the cards had 0% interest for some months and he paid them off before he got slammed by interest charges? If he paid that off quick then that is what happened.

It's also possible that either his or his wife's parents may have recently passed away and left them money.  They wouldn't be the first "upper class" couple in their 40s or 50s to get bailed out in that manner.  I've known a few people, who don't want their parents to die, but they are ultimately counting on that money to pay off debt.

Just now, Nice Guy Eddie said:

It's also possible that either his or his wife's parents may have recently passed away and left them money.  They wouldn't be the first "upper class" couple in their 40s or 50s to get bailed out in that manner.  I've known a few people, who don't want their parents to die, but they are ultimately counting on that money to pay off debt.

Maybe I read it wrong, but didn't he hit 200k in credit card debt twice in a 10 year period?  Going below the reporting threshold after each time?  If it happened once, then what you suggest is believable, but if it really was twice, 400k is a lot of paid debt on a gov't salary.

1 minute ago, FondrenRoad said:

Maybe I read it wrong, but didn't he hit 200k in credit card debt twice in a 10 year period?  Going below the reporting threshold after each time?  If it happened once, then what you suggest is believable, but if it really was twice, 400k is a lot of paid debt on a gov't salary.

I didn't realize it was twice.  The Trump team knows the debt is odd otherwise they wouldn't have widely screamed the idea that they guy just loves his baseball.   Perhaps he did buy $200K (or 400K) worth of baseball tickets.  It's not impossible to spend that much.  I can only guess that if he really did spend that much on baseball it's because he wanted to show off the idea that he has money and/or he wanted to invite other people constantly to try to move up the ladder.  

And perhaps he went for broke in running up credit cards debt to maintain a DC lifestyle in the hopes of moving up to the Supreme Court, with a backup plan of moving into the private sector if the SCOTUS plan didn't occur by a certain age.  

I do think he will need to explain how he ended up at age 50 with close to a $0 net worth.   The question won't have to be posed that bluntly but it goes to his personal judgment.   

11 hours ago, phdhorn said:

Runs up credit card bills, pays 'em off.  Sounds pretty, uh, well, uh, boring to me.

Sounds like me.  And oh, I dunno 140 million other people.

This is going to be good, this is.  They'll probably find he got a hole punched in his achievement snowman, instead of a gold star, in third grade.  THEN shit will hit the fan, it will!

I am laughing out loud at this latest thing.

It's dumb.

And why the WHITE HOUSE specifically decided to blast this out....

Also dumb. Possibly dumber than it being a story by itself. A non-story being blasted out by the White House to make it a story.  Definitely not something people do to distract from real issues with his judicial views.

16 hours ago, Iconoclast Texan said:

Wait wait, you get your jerseys tailored?

1 hour ago, Fozzz said:

Dude loves him some segregationists.  I wonder if he agrees with Rehnquist that Plessy was correctly decided?

I love that if it's not enumerated, but it's old, that somehow makes it good to these guys. A little consistency would be nice.

4 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I didn't realize it was twice.  The Trump team knows the debt is odd otherwise they wouldn't have widely screamed the idea that they guy just loves his baseball.   Perhaps he did buy $200K (or 400K) worth of baseball tickets.  It's not impossible to spend that much.  I can only guess that if he really did spend that much on baseball it's because he wanted to show off the idea that he has money and/or he wanted to invite other people constantly to try to move up the ladder.  

And perhaps he went for broke in running up credit cards debt to maintain a DC lifestyle in the hopes of moving up to the Supreme Court, with a backup plan of moving into the private sector if the SCOTUS plan didn't occur by a certain age.  

I do think he will need to explain how he ended up at age 50 with close to a $0 net worth.   The question won't have to be posed that bluntly but it goes to his personal judgment.   

Well, if its baseball, I get that, but not if he is giving away tickets.  I bought 10 tickets to a game last week on my credit card, but my friends paid me back for their seats.  I don't know how you get to 200k on that though.  If he was giving away tickets to ladder climb or curry favor that would be an auto-disqualifier for a judge in my book.

The $0 net worth thing is easy.  You're looking at it from the perspective of a private sector working stiff.  I doubt his pension is counting towards his net worth even though he will be relying on it for the bulk, if not all, of his retirement.

23 minutes ago, FondrenRoad said:

Didn't he teach law at Yale and Georgetown?  I would bet that is a tad more compensation than  government salary.

Just now, Cheeseweasel said:

Likely. And gives them away to friends/family. If I had the cash,  you're darn right I'd do it.

But he didn't have the cash.  If you have the credit score, nothing is stopping you from doing exactly what he did.  The weird thing isn't that he ran up debt.  That's downright American. Its that he mysteriously paid off a massive amount of debt twice in a relatively short period of time while not making enough money to do so.

2 minutes ago, Fozzz said:

Focusing on his private debt is dumb and isn't going to do any good.  

It's just odd.  Why did the WH basically lead off that his debt is all due to baseball tickets.   Maybe he bought the tickets with his CC but it's also hard to believe anything this WH says.  Especially when they volunteer info.  Remember when the Don Jr/Jared/Manafort meeting was solely about Russian adoption when we later learned that the written agenda was only about getting dirt on Hillary.  

And if he paid off his large debt with reasonable explanations, that's cool.  He didn't seem to do anything illegal.

3 minutes ago, Fozzz said:

Focusing on his private debt is dumb and isn't going to do any good.  

Eh.  Its the only thing out there right now.  His ruling track record is center right.  We can talk about how "conservative" he is, overturning Roe v Wade, etc, but it doesn't matter when it comes to judicial fitness.  Trump and the GOP want that "conservativeness" and his track record is nothing for the left to bitch about.  His rulings are consistent and well written.  You can't ask for much more.  There will be a hearing.  Then we can talk about pubic hairs in Cokes and things like that.  Then he'll be approved by a GOP Senate even if he is found to have used that 200k to silence child rape victims.

14 minutes ago, Js1 said:

It's dumb.

And why the WHITE HOUSE specifically decided to blast this out....

Also dumb. Possibly dumber than it being a story by itself. A non-story being blasted out by the White House to make it a story.  Definitely not something people do to distract from real issues with his judicial views.

It's not dumb, nor brilliant.  It's how you use credit cards.  I mean holy shit, people think this is some kind of red flag?

The White House didn't "blast this out" as a non-story.  They responded to a Washington Post inquiry after the Post found some of his financial disclosure forms.  The Post instigated it.  "Why does he have this expense (again which was paid off) showing up?"

"Because he liked to treat/sell tix to his friends for baseball games."

"But... but... well, okay."

They're gonna have to work a fuckuva lot harder to generate the faux outrage.  I'm sure that in the 5th grade he was a hall monitor and peeked in the girls' room.  When that comes to light, I hope they hang him.

Until then, though, I mean, this is how fucking weird the whole thing has gotten.  And funny, too.  Hilarious at times.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

It's just odd.  Why did the WH basically lead off that his debt is all due to baseball tickets.   Maybe he bought the tickets with his CC but it's also hard to believe anything this WH says.  Especially when they volunteer info.  Remember when the Don Jr/Jared/Manafort meeting was solely about Russian adoption when we later learned that the written agenda was only about getting dirt on Hillary.  

And if he paid off his large debt with reasonable explanations, that's cool.  He didn't seem to do anything illegal.

The Post looking into a nominee and asking for clarification on his financials that look kind of odd - OMG SO FUNNY LOOK HOW HYSTERICAL EVERYONE IS HAHAHAHAHAHAHAH TRY AGAIN MEDIA.

Oh wait, let's ignore that just about everyone Trump has nominated to something has very shady financials that end up coming out.

Edited by Js1

The $0 net worth thing is easy.  You're looking at it from the perspective of a private sector working stiff.  I doubt his pension is counting towards his net worth even though he will be relying on it for the bulk, if not all, of his retirement.

My friend is a radiologist for a county owned hospital in Ohio. He is fully vested in the pension and at 25 years he’ll get 60% of his highest 3 years of pay for life. He makes like $800K now and their house is paid off with no debt. He has tons of other investments but with that retirement plan he could’ve just said fuck it and not worry about it at all.

My concern would be the baseball excuse. That sounds like bush league money laundering.

1 minute ago, CooterBrown said:

My friend is a radiologist for a county owned hospital in Ohio. He is fully vested in the pension and at 25 years he’ll get 60% of his highest 3 years of pay for life. He makes like $800K now and their house is paid off with no debt. He has tons of other investments but with that retirement plan he could’ve just said fuck it and not worry about it at all.

My concern would be the baseball excuse. That sounds like bush league money laundering.

Yeah, but 800k is way more than Kavanaugh has been making per year.  Its not uncommon for someone like Kavanaugh to live check to check when they are backstopped by a pension.  Remember that he has long time law school friends who are hitting that 800k a year plus at firms.  His social circle is a wealthy one even if he's technically upper middle class.