3 - ?

4 - Kennedy

5 - PP

6 - Flores

7 - Porter 

8 - JT

9 - Beyleu

10 - Borba?

Or are we better off with JT at 1st and Gaspo in center? I wish Porter could play first as I think that allows us to get all our best bats in the lineup.

38 minutes ago, hobbes2702 said:

Ok so what’s our best 10 right now?

2 - Galvan

3 - ?

4 - Kennedy

5 - PP

6 - Flores

7 - Porter 

8 - JT

9 - Beyleu

10 - Borba?

Or are we better off with JT at 1st and Gaspo in center? I wish Porter could play first as I think that allows us to get all our best bats in the lineup.

The best nine probably has Thomas at 1B, but I still think Pierce will stick him in CF fairly regularly to help his future and for scouts to get looks at him out there. They don't seem to trust Belyeu against lefties, but he homered off one yesterday and may get more opportunities against them moving forward.

Would be nice if Borba turned out to be a serviceable DH/1B. We need more right-handed bats.

• Hook 'Em 1

If I were LSU, I would not throw Thatcher Hurd Friday. I'd throw Gage Jump.

Side note but it was funny to see the hype about Hurd and Christian Little headed into last year. Hurd had a 13.81 ERA in SEC play and Little had a 13.21. Hurd just made everyone forget about it by having a great start in the CWS final.

13 hours ago, MuellerHorn said:

Mike Antico ain’t walkin through that door. 

If we dick around with Harrison/Witt for too long that could be an L. They went into Gainesville and won on a Friday night. Mixed bag vs Coog. Seem to have some big bats. They haven’t played a midweek yet so no clue how their pitching is 

• Hook 'Em 1

San Diego took 2 of 3 from Arizona this weekend. I think that series win will look pretty good as the year goes on.

I didn't realize it until I was looking back on it just now, but we ended up playing a tougher non-conference schedule last year than I remember at the time. Indiana and Fullerton made a regional along with playing Arkansas/Vandy/A&M/LSU for a single game a piece. Our non-con SOS was actually tougher last year than 2022 which is wild.

28 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

San Diego took 2 of 3 from Arizona this weekend. I think that series win will look pretty good as the year goes on.

They had a solid ballclub. Excellent defense and good hitting. Their weakness was their pitching depth. 

5 minutes ago, NorthLoop said:

They had a solid ballclub. Excellent defense and good hitting. Their weakness was their pitching depth. 

Yep. Their Friday guy went 5 innings 10k's against his former team. He looked pretty legit against us too. I also saw on Sunday they got back the D2 player of the year who transferred there. I think he was hurt to start the season.

They should contend for the WCC title.

From secrant:

D1 Baseball 
2. Arkansas (2) 
3. Lsu (3) 
4. Florida (4) 
7. Texas A&M (8) 
8. Tennessee (9) 
9. Vanderbilt (6) 
16. Alabama (17) 
19. South Carolina (21) 
23. Auburn (NR) 

Baseball America 
2. Lsu (2) 
3. Arkansas (3) 
5. Florida (5) 
7. Tennessee (8) 
9. Vanderbilt (7) 
11. Texas A&M (11) 
12. South Carolina (12) 
19. Auburn (20) 
24. Alabama (NR) 

Perfect Game 
2. Arkansas (2) 
3. Lsu (3) 
4. Texas A&M (4) 
6. Florida (6) 
10. Tennessee (11) 
11. Vanderbilt (7) 
13. South Carolina (12) 
14. Auburn (14) 
22. Alabama (25) 

BONUS - Attendance Ranking 
1. Mississippi St - 10,714 
2. Lsu - 10,569 
3. Ole Miss - 9,809 
4. Arkansas - 9,328 
6. South Carolina - 7,218 
7. Florida - 6,578 
8. Texas A&M - 5,800 
12. Tennessee - 4,917 
16. Auburn - 4,079 
18. Alabama - 3,697 
19. Vanderbilt - 3,461 

23 hours ago, Braff Zacklin said:

Starting to wonder if this team fucks.

But I know, I know. It's WAY early.

I lean towards fucks.

But that might mean "fucks" us.

Not sure yet.

Edited by Cajun
  • Hook 'Em 1

23 minutes ago, Cajun said:

I lean towards fucks.

But that might mean "fucks" us.

Not sure yet.

Yea gonna need to see more out of the backend of the lineup, and Porter has to hit but this is a team that could cause problems with the ability to pressure a defense. A lot of plus athletes.

Defense, especially if we play someone not named O’Dowd at 2nd or 1st, should be really good, outfield can cover some real range and a lot of strong arms out there.

The bullpen looks as deep as it’s been in quite some time. If Hurley and Howard can be consistent (looking at you Chuck) then there’s potential to make some noise. 

6 minutes ago, hobbes2702 said:

Yea gonna need to see more out of the backend of the lineup, and Porter has to hit but this is a team that could cause problems with the ability to pressure a defense. A lot of plus athletes.

Defense, especially if we play someone not named O’Dowd at 2nd or 1st, should be really good, outfield can cover some real range and a lot of strong arms out there.

The bullpen looks as deep as it’s been in quite some time. If Hurley and Howard can be consistent (looking at you Chuck) then there’s potential to make some noise. 

Have to get one of Harrison or Witt right to hit our ceiling. As has been mentioned, Brown will come around and the lineup will get better as the young guys get more experience, but we need another arm we can trust even if it is just a multi-inning guy out of the pen. 

• Hook 'Em 1

39 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Have to get one of Harrison or Witt right to hit our ceiling. As has been mentioned, Brown will come around and the lineup will get better as the young guys get more experience, but we need another arm we can trust even if it is just a multi-inning guy out of the pen. 

I’m not counting on Witt for anything. How would you break down the bullpen?

LR - Grubbs, Tumis, Duplantier, Harrison

SR - Shaw, Fontenot, Boehm, Tole, Whitehead

Looks like Boehm and Shaw are the closer candidates so far. Fontenot would be a great 8th inning guy imo

14 minutes ago, hobbes2702 said:

I’m not counting on Witt for anything. How would you break down the bullpen?

LR - Grubbs, Tumis, Duplantier, Harrison

SR - Shaw, Fontenot, Boehm, Tole, Whitehead

Looks like Boehm and Shaw are the closer candidates so far. Fontenot would be a great 8th inning guy imo

Yeah, that's probably around what I would have it. Sometimes I forget Tole is even on the team but he got some important outs for us last year. I need to see Whitehead again because that first outing seemed way off compounded with the trainer going to the mound in the middle of the inning.

Floor of the bullpen definitely feels higher with Fontenot and Boehm this year. The good of Morehouse was probably just as good or better than those two, but he was also prone to the huge blowup outings, which I don't think we are at risk for as often this year.

Edited by Hookem2147

7 hours ago, torre said:

https://www.spacecityhn.com/home/

The Astros College Classic is scheduled to be broadcast on the Space City Network.    Channel finder is listed at top of page.    May require a trial to one of the streaming services if you don't have.

Before,  did the Astros have a free stream on their website ?

all houston astros social media will be streaming the games 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

I was swamped with family shit yesterday, and had no gumption to watch the replay that late.

What are the thoughts on Howard as a Sunday starter?  Obviously 5 innings of scoreless baseball is great, but is he what we need to feel uber confident about F/S/S starters?  I'll hang up and pass out.  I mean listen.

48 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

I was swamped with family shit yesterday, and had no gumption to watch the replay that late.

What are the thoughts on Howard as a Sunday starter?  Obviously 5 innings of scoreless baseball is great, but is he what we need to feel uber confident about F/S/S starters?  I'll hang up and pass out.  I mean listen.

Ask me after he faces Vandy, then Tech in Lubbock.

16 minutes ago, Cousin Strawberry said:

He looks a little lost at the plate.  

Has 11 SOs in 22 ABs to only 1 BB. Right now, unless he gets a hit, he’s not getting on base. 

He’s chasing a lot of fastballs he shouldn’t. Granted, it’s a small sample size and he has a massive strike zone. He’ll hopefully adjust to the speed of the game soon. 

23 minutes ago, MuellerHorn said:

Has 11 SOs in 22 ABs to only 1 BB. Right now, unless he gets a hit, he’s not getting on base. 

He’s chasing a lot of fastballs he shouldn’t. Granted, it’s a small sample size and he has a massive strike zone. He’ll hopefully adjust to the speed of the game soon. 

It looks like a freshman thing that they have to let him play through. 

• Hook 'Em 2

Jared Thomas looked pretty awful for a lot of his freshman year.   As did Flores.   As did Kash.   They all eventually showed why they were recruited.

That said, Gasparino has a long ass swing because he's so lanky.   He needs to get that shortened up imo.   But I will defer to him and his dad who known more about baseball than some joker on shaggy bevo.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, ClubWhatever said:

Jared Thomas looked pretty awful for a lot of his freshman year.   As did Flores.   As did Kash.   They all eventually showed why they were recruited.

That said, Gasparino has a long ass swing because he's so lanky.   He needs to get that shortened up imo.   But I will defer to him and his dad who known more about baseball than some joker on shaggy bevo.

I dont think its mechanical.  I was 3 rows behind home plate and you could see the lack of confidence.  Same with O'Dowd.  

Gasparino will get a longer leash than most considering his HS status, speed and ability to play solid CF/RF defense. You can live with him in the 9-hole working through some growing pains more than you could a first baseman or second baseman who isn't hitting.

Edited by Hookem2147
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, ClubWhatever said:

This is the answer. He is too long, but that’s not an adjustment he can’t make rather quickly.

Also like @Hookem2147 said, you can put him in the 9 hole and it’s not a problem. Especially with his ability to be a second leadoff type hitter due to speed on the bases.

Edited by hobbes2702

3 hours ago, MuellerHorn said:

His swing is a little long, which you can get away with against off speed stuff but not against the heater (can actually help, sort of, against off speed since your bat lollygags through the zone).  They'll continue to pound the fastball until he shortens up.  If I were an opposing pitcher, I probably wouldn't throw a breaking ball or change up until he proved me wrong.

• Hook 'Em 1

Gasparino is gonna be a special one for us for the next few years. He's a big boy already but has room to get bigger. Not worried that he's not hitting above .300 right now - you can see that he has it. 

JOD might get his bat going better but his defense is shit. Kennedy needs to be getting the starts with JOD getting a bunch of mop up time to keep him fresh. We might need Jack later in the season. Pierce is the kind of coach that understands stuff like that. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1