2024 Texas Baseball

Hookem2147

1 minute ago, Hookem2147 said:

There is a 100% chance if Texas makes a regional they will be sent to College Station. Last chance the NCAA will have to match the two teams up in a regional and they aren't turning it down.

Since this is probably gonna happen, let's all start dreaming of this team pulling it's head out of it's ass for just a few days so they can herpa derp into a super and end aggy's best season evarrrr. 

14 minutes ago, NorthLoop said:

Since this is probably gonna happen, let's all start dreaming of this team pulling it's head out of it's ass for just a few days so they can herpa derp into a super and end aggy's best season evarrrr. 

Didn't they go 56-6 or something ridiculous like that in the late 80s and lose their regional?  We all know that the most dominant team in the regular season almost never wins the CWS. Look at WF or Tennessee recently.

5 minutes ago, Balcones said:

Warren Nolan has us going 13-5 for the remaining 18 games. That puts us at 37-20. 

Hard to believe we'd sweep TCU, or take 2 of 3 in Norman.  Then again, it's also hard to believe we'd get swept at UCF.

Well that dual sweep on us by OSU and UCF looks painful.  How does it come out to 57 games though?  We'll only play 56 regular season.  

Other than those two talking points, I'd take that finish (that's what South Austin's Mom said).  

First thing's first gotta go 3-1 this week, bar none.  Or the rest of this is just wish-casting.  

Kendall Rodgers earlier today in their weekly chat on D1baseball

Guest: Two part question and just want your thoughts -All my Longhorn baseball friends are losing  patience with Pierce. Not sure he is the answer for leading the team into a tough SEC next year. Do you think DelConte could try to go after Schloss at A&M. They are connected from their days at TCU. Does Pierce need to make post season to keep his job?

Kendall Rogers: Guest – I think Texas will be making a coaching change if the season ended today. Coach Pierce and I are close and have a great relationship, but it’s also my job to be truthful. I have no doubt Chris Del Conte will shoot for Schlossnagle, but I would be very surprised at this point if that would even be an option unless A&M just bungled the new facility, which I’ve been told will not happen. Should Texas open (and I’m not saying it will for sure), I have a very good name in mind that I think the Longhorns would have an excellent shot with. Stay tuned.

34 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

Well that dual sweep on us by OSU and UCF looks painful.

He has us 2-1 against the Pokes.  Thinking of OU?

I swear the predictions have already changed since originally posted.

Edited by jimmyjazz

18 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Guest: Two part question and just want your thoughts -All my Longhorn baseball friends are losing  patience with Pierce. Not sure he is the answer for leading the team into a tough SEC next year. Do you think DelConte could try to go after Schloss at A&M. They are connected from their days at TCU. Does Pierce need to make post season to keep his job?

Kendall Rogers: Guest – I think Texas will be making a coaching change if the season ended today. Coach Pierce and I are close and have a great relationship, but it’s also my job to be truthful. I have no doubt Chris Del Conte will shoot for Schlossnagle, but I would be very surprised at this point if that would even be an option unless A&M just bungled the new facility, which I’ve been told will not happen. Should Texas open (and I’m not saying it will for sure), I have a very good name in mind that I think the Longhorns would have an excellent shot with. Stay tuned.

Pop Tv GIF by Schitt's Creek

• Hook 'Em 3

17 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

That is basically saying postseason or he’s done. He sees just like everyone else we’ve struggled with the bottom of the barrel teams and now to make the postseason they have to replicate what happened in Manhattan, multiple times. The odds are heavily stacked against Pierce but this league is ass for the most part so who knows for sure at this point. 

7 minutes ago, Levi said:

That is basically saying postseason or he’s done. He sees just like everyone else we’ve struggled with the bottom of the barrel teams and now to make the postseason they have to replicate what happened in Manhattan, multiple times. The odds are heavily stacked against Pierce but this league is ass for the most part so who knows for sure at this point. 

The baseball program needs to put all the BBs back in the box. Some people never got over the fact that he was hired in the first place and the way he has micro managed the program since he moved Sean Allen to be the pitching coach has done him no favors.

I’m not making excuses for Pierce by any means but you can’t keep doing the “well if he accomplishes this, this, and this, he can keep his job. This is year 8, it needs to either be all in with Pierce or all out, whether he finds a way to get this team to a regional, super regional, CWS, shouldn’t matter.

If he is your guy then give him everything he needs whether you think he is an ass or the pope. If he isn’t, can him

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, chase25 said:

The baseball program needs to put all the BBs back in the box. Some people never got over the fact that he was hired in the first place and the way he has micro managed the program since he moved Sean Allen to be the pitching coach has done him no favors.

I’m not making excuses for Pierce by any means but you can’t keep doing the “well if he accomplishes this, this, and this, he can keep his job. This is year 8, it needs to either be all in with Pierce or all out, whether he finds a way to get this team to a regional, super regional, CWS, shouldn’t matter.

If he is your guy then give him everything he needs whether you think he is an ass or the pope. If he isn’t, can him

Very well put. If you are always looking for the next hurdle you hope he won't clear so you can finally pull the plug, what are you even doing?

Reminds me of all the hand-wringing of what if Herman accidentally wins out and makes the Big 12 title game in 2020 and then we can't get rid of him. If you want to move on, you want to move on. There is no rule a coach has to return because he reached X goal.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, UTPhil2006 said:

Jared Thomas pitching tomorrow 

He was pretty damn good in high school. There was some thought he could be a two-way guy when he first enrolled. Threw back-to-back no-hitters in a 6A district his senior year.

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, chase25 said:

I 100% agree. I think Kendal is just giving Pierce the benefit of the doubt and going with what Pierce has done in the past to maybe give himself a chance in the future. I certainly hope that if Pierce makes a run in the conference tournament and find himself in a regional, cdc doesn’t think that should qualify him for another year. 

Starting a guy who has never pitched in a college game before at this point in the season is laughable, but I guess there's no reason not to based on what we've seen from the others.  Anyone in the general student body who can pitch?  One of the backup QBs?

1 hour ago, ClubWhatever said:

Starting a guy who has never pitched in a college game before at this point in the season is laughable, but I guess there's no reason not to based on what we've seen from the others.  Anyone in the general student body who can pitch?  One of the backup QBs?

Brooks Kieschnick Jr is on the football team..... 

• Hook 'Em 1

13 minutes ago, UTPhil2006 said:

I don’t like the name I’m hearing.  @YGIFS are we in for a rockie future or are you hearing otherwise 

*rocky

I fucking hate win people do shit like this.

"Oooohhh, look at me! I'm in the know! But, nope, sorry, I can't betray my sources..."

• Rage+1 1

Just now, TrashMaster G said:

*rocky

I fucking hate win people do shit like this.

"Oooohhh, look at me! I'm in the know! But, nope, sorry, I can't betray my sources..."

Rockie future…

Rockies…

Tulo

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 2

13 minutes ago, UTPhil2006 said:

I don’t like the name I’m hearing.  @YGIFS are we in for a rockie future or are you hearing otherwise 

Sorry to say my biggest in with the program was Bill Little, RIP.  He used to give me the skinny a few times during the season.  

Went to the Texas Leadership Society luncheon the other day and there were two higher-ups from Athletics/LHF there.  Y'all would know of them, he's kind of the face guy when CDC isn't available.  I didn't directly ask Pierce's fate but they literally start serving wine at this thing at 11:00am.  So I figured I'd watch everybody knock back a few and just listen.  So some older alums ask (granted this was before the RGV debacle) about baseball.  And it was obviously the party line, something to the effect of, "We support Coach Pierce.  We were in Omaha 2 seasons ago and just a few outs away last year.  Barring some below .500 collapse, he's our guy."  Since I was cold sober, I noticed his eyes weren't selling it, take that FWIW.  I'm not in a position to ask CDC, but when the Regents are back in town, the one truly diehard Longhorn baseball fan (not named Eltife), gonna pump a few drinks into him and see what he thinks.  But I got no names I'm hearing, but I'm not really trying.  

All that blathering to say, what are you hearing?  I've been out of the loop on shit like this since Covid/not closing down bars with those in the know.  

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

Tulo's name would certainly hold a lot of weight on the recruiting trail and in the portal. And flipping this roster is going to be important. Pretty much every player and recruit who has interacted with him at Texas has great things to say.

His assistant hires would obviously be huge as someone who hasn't been a head coach. Still, I think it says something that he wants to be a head coach and continues to be around the silly game of college baseball after making almost $100 million playing the game professionally. Most guys aren't wired that way.

Just my .02.

Edited by Hookem2147
  • Hook 'Em 2

image.png.5813446386e2bd1c5060df31d9e51137.png

Just now, jimmyjazz said:

To my knowledge, Tulo never got his degree.  Doesn't that make him a non-starter for a head coaching position on the 40 Acres?

He's already a paid coach at Texas, so somewhere along the way, he must have finished out if he didn't finish the first time at Long Beach.

• Hook 'Em 2

On 4/15/2024 at 5:57 PM, ClubWhatever said:

I Guess If You Say So GIF

• Haha 1

Just now, Beer Drinker said:

Didn’t he turn down the USC job a few years ago? I thought the word was he didn’t want the burden/workload of a head coach?

He turned down USC because that job isn't what it once was, and they are stuck in the Stone Age in several areas, including facilities. 

Tulo has told people he wants to be a college head coach. Based on my understanding, even in the "year off" he took last year, he was still around the program and coming up to the Disch to help out. I'm sure part of the thinking for re-joining the staff this year was to make sure he stayed involved and around the game in an official capacity as he looked for his next opportunity. 

4 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

He turned down USC because that job isn't what it once was, and they are stuck in the Stone Age in several areas, including facilities. 

Tulo has told people he wants to be a college head coach. Based on my understanding, even in the "year off" he took last year, he was still around the program and coming up to the Disch to help out. I'm sure part of the thinking for re-joining the staff this year was to make sure he stayed involved and around the game in an official capacity as he looked for his next opportunity. 

Tulowitzki over Canham, Bakich, Godwin or Walter would be a legendary fuck up. All 4 of those coaches are at programs that cannot counter a serious Texas offer to the HC. Nitpick any one of those guys, fine, but the holes in Tulo's resume are gaping. 

I'd happily sacrifice everyone on this thread to the baseball gods with only the use of my bare hands and a plastic spork for Texas to go out and get Bakich.

• Hook 'Em 4

1 hour ago, Hookem2147 said:

Tulo's name would certainly hold a lot of weight on the recruiting trail and in the portal. And flipping this roster is going to be important. Pretty much every player and recruit who has interacted with him at Texas has great things to say.

His assistant hires would obviously be huge as someone who hasn't been a head coach. Still, I think it says something that he wants to be a head coach and continues to be around the silly game of college baseball after making almost $100 million playing the game professionally. Most guys aren't wired that way.

Just my .02.

Not sure I would jump on the Tulo train or have him in my top list of candidates. We obviously are behind on the recruiting front with Pierce. Can Tulo fill that gap on the recruiting trail and maybe even attract more kids to the college route? 

16 minutes ago, Levi said:

Not sure I would jump on the Tulo train or have him in my top list of candidates. We obviously are behind on the recruiting front with Pierce. Can Tulo fill that gap on the recruiting trail and maybe even attract more kids to the college route? 

I'd rather Tulo be one of the three paid assistants under the next head coach. I think he'd be a real asset on the trail and with hitting/defensive development.

I’ll take Tulo over Pierce. He’ll, I’ll take Tulo’s Basset Hound running the show over Pierce at this point. 
But yes, I think we can do better than Tulo as far as resume. 

3 minutes ago, ConferenceRoom said:

*when

Furk.

3 minutes ago, EZ$ said:

I’ll take Tulo over Pierce. He’ll, I’ll take Tulo’s Basset Hound running the show over Pierce at this point. 
But yes, I think we can do better than Tulo as far as resume. 

*Hell

• Haha 2

Sounds like the JT pitching experiment will continue.    Second link is another game article.   Pierce is well protected by the AAS, LHN, and Radio Broadcast.  LHN "Game Plan With David Pierce" is scheduled at 7PM tonight if interested.    

"I'm trying to win. The reason why is because I think he's a kid that can help us just like Cade, just like (Whitehead)," Pierce said after the UTRGV game. "At the end of the day, we're trying to win baseball games and I'm not going to sit and watch the same stuff happen without trying to explore all of our different options. I really think JT's an option."

"JT is a good pitcher, I'm telling you," Pierce said. "It wasn't perfect, but we've got a lot of baseball to play after that. I'd much rather have done it tonight to start versus his first time in a leverage situation. He has toughness, he has grit and he'll figure things out."

Top Texas hitter Jared Thomas makes pitching debut in UTRGV loss (statesman.com)

Texas Longhorns pushed around by UTRGV Vaqueros in baseball beatdown (statesman.com)

45 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Tulowitzki over Canham, Bakich, Godwin or Walter would be a legendary fuck up. All 4 of those coaches are at programs that cannot counter a serious Texas offer to the HC. Nitpick any one of those guys, fine, but the holes in Tulo's resume are gaping. 

I'd happily sacrifice everyone on this thread to the baseball gods with only the use of my bare hands and a plastic spork for Texas to go out and get Bakich.

Tulo would be a worse hire than the feel good story of Rodney Terry. 

Vaughn at Bama would be a super good recruiter and is a good coach. Canham and Bakich are great too. 

I hate the guy but Vitello is a hell of a recruiter but again fuck that guy.

Edited by BurntOrange&White

2 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Tulo would be a worse hire than the feel good story of Rodney Terry. 

Vaughn at Bama would be a super good recruiter and is a good coach. Canham and Bakich are great too. 

I hate the guy but Vitello is a hell of a recruiter but again fuck that guy.

The problem with going after SEC guys is that the financial situation for those schools isn't the same as it is for Oregon State or the ACC schools or freaking ECU. I think Canham and Godwin played at the schools they're currently coaching, but that can still be overcome. Hell, Jonathan Smith is coaching at Michigan State right now because Oregon State is permafucked in the go-forward for major athletic programs. Canham might make the most sense, but I think Bakich could win big at Texas.

• Hook 'Em 1