NBA 2023-24 Off Season

Fastbreak

If true that's a good move for both sides, I think. Good fit for KP.

=============

EDIT: Actually just read the Celtics would be giving up Brogdon to get KP. That feels like a mistake. I was assuming it was going to involve draft picks and filler rather than a contributor that helped them ride out the Tatum and Brown cold spells.

Edited by SilasCoade

51 minutes ago, SilasCoade said:

If true that's a good move for both sides, I think. Good fit for KP.

=============

EDIT: Actually just read the Celtics would be giving up Brogdon to get KP. That feels like a mistake. I was assuming it was going to involve draft picks and filler rather than a contributor that helped them ride out the Tatum and Brown cold spells.

Brogdon is going to turn 31 next year.  I wouldn't be counting on him for the long-term Boston plan.  Last year he averaged 15, 4 and 4 with decent efficiency, but it is only a matter of time before he starts slipping.

Porzingis can get buckets.  He averaged 23, 8  and 3 last year.  The Celtics will be able to use him to fill scoring droughts much more than Brogdon. Plus he is just entering his Prime and flirting with being in the 50/40/90 club. 

This is a great trade for the Celtics.

• Hook 'Em 1

I guess. Brogdon just felt like a great fit for the Celtics in the playoffs. He doesn't have to carry a large burden on the Celtics to be valuable to them. KP's numbers are better but they're basically upgrading one position and accepting a downgrade in the second unit backcourt.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Vic Mackey said:

.74749a88ca26f255d978f218e0a7226b.jpg

That trade went worse faster than I thought.  Always thought it would end in OKC's favor but thought it wouldn't be until 2026 or something.

I don't think they'll trade him but if they can get the #2 or something and some players, you have to consider it.  They should trade him for Zion and pair him with The Nephew.  The one game of the season they play together will be great.  They should put Jimmy Butler on that team and make a reality show.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, SilasCoade said:

I guess. Brogdon just felt like a great fit for the Celtics in the playoffs. He doesn't have to carry a large burden on the Celtics to be valuable to them. KP's numbers are better but they're basically upgrading one position and accepting a downgrade in the second unit backcourt.

Their backcourt is too crowded with Smart, White, Brogdan and Pritchard. White was arguably their second most valuable player in the Heat series and he’s on a very team friendly deal. No way they’re moving him. Smart is part of their long term core while carrying a pretty big cap figure. I think he’s difficult to trade.  Pritchard is still on a rookie deal but wants / deserves regular minutes or to be moved. Brogdan is in the last year of his contract and massively injury prone. He’s the odd man out. 

6 hours ago, Fastbreak said:

Wait… the Celtics are getting 2 first round picks and Porzingas for Smart?

Washington is seeming like a much worse front office version of OKC. They’ve gotten rid of their assets with basically no 1st round picks in return.

One is 25 this yr and they are giving up 35 so they are moving up 10 spots.   The 2nd pick is GSW's so it will probably be pretty late next yr too.    Still interesting to get picks along with what most would think is the best player in the trade.

• Hook 'Em 1

So the Bullets turned Hachimura, Beal, Porzingis and Kuzma into a grand total of zero first round draft picks? I guess they may be able to get some draft capital out of CP3 and Jones, and I know their hands were tied with Beal's no trade clause and the player options for Kuzma and Porzingis, but holy shit that seems like a terrible return. Did their new front office learn nothing from working for Sam Presti? The rebuild is off to an outstanding start. Can't wait for them to botch pick #8 tonight. They will probably outsmart themselves and reach for that chucker from Baylor or the big guy from Duke who "looked great shooting the ball in workouts" but played like shit in the actual games.

And while the numbers for Porzingis look fantastic, he's been terrible in the locker room in both Dallas and New York. That's not even getting into his injury history. The Celtics swapping out Smart for him on a team that has had culture issues is certainly a move. Then again, when you trade the heart and soul of a team that played with no heart and no soul, what have you really given up? I guess they won the trade, but that offense was stagnant as hell and they just got rid of the only guy who consistently moved the ball for them. I'm sure second row Joe will have that offense humming.

Smart should be a great fit for Memphis. He's everything good that Dillon Brooks did sans the dumbass antics. He really fills a need for them and can slide over when Ja gets back. I think it's a fantastic move for the Grizzlies. That's exactly what that franchise needed. 

• Hook 'Em 2

11 hours ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

The Celtics are also going to lose Robert Williams in free agency and need to bolster their front court. 

Glass legs is under contract through the 25/26 season.  Regardless, they needed help up front because Williams is a 2 trick pony and doesn't see the court near as much as he needs to be effective.

1 minute ago, Mittens said:

Glass legs is under contract through the 25/26 season.  Regardless, they needed help up front because Williams is a 2 trick pony and doesn't see the court near as much as he needs to be effective.

Thank you. I confused him with the other Williams that they're likely going to lose in free agency, especially now that they have Porzingis. I actually like Grant Williams game some. Solid three point shooter. Does a little bit of everything. Undersized but he'd be a good fit for somebody like the Mavs if they could figure out their cap. 

I was thinking about it this morning but I wish NBA would do a better job of not letting the picks be spoiled on Twitter.  Some are obvious choices but the picks being spoiled before the announcements on TV kind of ruins the viewing experience of the NBA draft.

Edited by BurntOrange&White

It's so weird that Boston pivoted from Brogdon for KP to Smart for KP.  If they found a way to swap Brogdon, Gallinari and Muscala for KP, even for 1-2 FRPs to Washington, they would be in much better position. Losing Smart is going to hurt the team, as he was their best defender and instigator. His offense leaves a lot to be desired, but you would think that he would get fewer shots with KP. I'm guessing this moves Brogdon to starting PG, and the team defense will rely more on Tatum and Brown to play D. 

Brogdon's injury issues will likely continue, and they will be paying him 22.5m the next 2 years for about 50 games a season. It's going to be even worse if he's recovering from elbow surgery this offseason.  That risk is a huge gamble over Smart who has missed some games, but seems to be more reliable over his career.  

I do think Memphis made out well here. Getting Smart to replace Tyus Jones as the backup PG is pretty good. He has more years of control at a reasonable rate, and he could easily slot into the starting lineup over Bane or when they want to go small.  He will add more toughness to their defense, and help with countering some of the offense focused teams like Phoenix. I think the issue with Memphis right now is, who replaces Dillon Brooks at SF?  They are over the cap with the current roster at 144m, so I guess they need an MLE guy to fill that gap. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Dutchrudder said:

It's so weird that Boston pivoted from Brogdon for KP to Smart for KP.  If they found a way to swap Brogdon, Gallinari and Muscala for KP, even for 1-2 FRPs to Washington, they would be in much better position. Losing Smart is going to hurt the team, as he was their best defender and instigator. His offense leaves a lot to be desired, but you would think that he would get fewer shots with KP. I'm guessing this moves Brogdon to starting PG, and the team defense will rely more on Tatum and Brown to play D. 

Maybe not so weird:

12 minutes ago, Dutchrudder said:

I'm guessing this moves Brogdon to starting PG, and the team defense will rely more on Tatum and Brown to play D. 

I'm betting Derrick White will be the starting point guard and they roll with something like:

• PG - Derrick White
  • SG - Jaylen Brown
  • SF - Jayson Tatum
  • PF - Grant Williams
  • C - Kristaps Porzingis 

Then they can further reduce Al Horford's minutes given that he is going to be 37 this year.  

• Hook 'Em 2

5 minutes ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

Maybe not so weird:

Right, there are medical issues which can be waived by the team taking him if they choose. So if you're Boston, why not send 2 first rounders to Washington to take on that deal and get KP in the process?  A lineup of Smart-Brown-Tatum-KP-Horford is pretty good, certainly better than White-Brown-Tatum-KP-Horford. 

Edit: Yeah, I guess they move White into the starting lineup, swap Horford for Williams depending on matchup and fill out the bench with whatever. I still think Smart for 18m/19m/20m the next 3 years is great deal for a guy like that. Anyways, I hate Boston, so I hope they all miss a bunch of games and miss the playoffs. 

Edited by Dutchrudder

1 hour ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

Wizards might have the worst assembled roster ever after Beal and zinger depart.

I don’t see how they win 10 games next year. They’ll take 2 Vs Minnesota but I don’t see where the other 8 will come from

Then mission accomplished.   This is a full on tank job

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dutchrudder said:

A lineup of Smart-Brown-Tatum-KP-Horford is pretty good, certainly better than White-Brown-Tatum-KP-Horford. 

Disagree Office Space GIF by MOODMAN

Last year:

• Marcus Smart - 11.5 points on 0.511 eFG% and 0.746 FT%, 2.3 TOV, 12.1 PER, 0.092 WS/48, 0.5 VORP - Not on All-Defense team
  • Derrick White - 12.4 points on 0.560 eFG%, 0.875 FT%, 1.2 TOV, 15.4 PER, 0.154 WS/48, 2.6 VORP - 2nd Team All-Defense

And this year in the playoffs:

• Marcus Smart - 14.9 points on 0.552 eFG% and 0.800 FT%, 2.3 TOV, 15.4 PER, 0.112 WS/48, 0.5 VORP 
  • Derrick White - 13.4 points on 0.641 eFG%, 0.912 FT%, 0.9 TOV, 16.2 PER, 0.151 WS/48, 0.8 VORP 

Derrick White is better in just about every category.  He is a much more efficient player - and getting rid of Smart will force Tatum and Brown to stop up and lead the team.  

I wish I had Smart's stats in the last 10 minutes of a game.  He invariably tries to take over and he isn't that guy.   

• Hook 'Em 1

Thinking a little more about Phoenix next year.  Found a new part of Basketball Reference that shows the percent of time a player has played at various positions.  Over the last 4 years:

• Devon Booker - 2% PG, 81% SG, 17% SF
  • Bradley Beal - 8% PG, 79% SG, 13% SF
  • Kevin Durant - 9% SF, 73% PF, 18% C  (Side note: LOL at Seattle playing him 94% at SG. WTF)

I'm guessing that they will start Cameron Payne at PG and then have Booker and Beal play interchangeable wings. They are really thin at point guard though. Maybe they will have either Beal or Booker run point for stretches?