Big 12 basketball 2023-2024 season - One Final Rodeo

Pancho

3 hours ago, Pancho said:

This and the fact that refs are getting older (and fatter) and can’t keep up with younger, faster players. This also causes them to not be able to get into a position to get calls correct. The problem is those older refs will keep getting the games because politics. 

Always assumed that what’s it was. The refs are getting older and more out of shape and can’t run with the players. They’re out of position and can’t keep up, some of these games are track meets up and down the court 

4 quarters and FTs at the 5th foul have shown to shorten games, which is the biggest complaint now.

Men also wanted to advance the ball under 2min like women switched to a few years ago and what the NBA does—nope, didn’t want it.

• Rage+1 1

I don't understand all the nuances regarding when reviews are allowed, and what things are reviewable.  Also not a fan of the rule that allows reviewing certain things only in the last two minutes of a game.

This past Saturday, it was crazy watching an out of bounds call be reversed, but refs were forced to ignore the obvious foul that caused the ball to go out.  

1 hour ago, KingBobo81 said:

This league is ridic. If not for the TCU game ref gift wrap, Gods gift would be 5-5.

Its not often you see the 4th ranked team in the country occupying the 5th place  in their conference

image.png.5b606c18fdc4b99f80c27f3e627e8efc.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 2/4/2024 at 10:03 AM, Al_4_ISU said:

They were terrible and it mostly benefited us. Which makes the loss sting more. The refs gifted us an opportunity and we couldn’t capitalize.

Yep.  They were awful all game, but it really benefited Iowa St for that 20-0 run.  'clones shot 18 FT's during that run to 0 for Baylor, including 6 on 1 possession when Drew was T'd up for the second time.  Then they T'd up Jakus (the assistant who was then HC) while he was telling a player where to be on defense.  Meanwhile, there was a possession where 4 ISt coaches were up in the middle of the play and they didn't even receive a warning.  

Pure insanity.  Lots of ticky tack calls on both teams.  

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, Trey3216 said:

Yep.  They were awful all game, but it really benefited Iowa St for that 20-0 run.  'clones shot 18 FT's during that run to 0 for Baylor, including 6 on 1 possession when Drew was T'd up for the second time.  Then they T'd up Jakus (the assistant who was then HC) while he was telling a player where to be on defense.  Meanwhile, there was a possession where 4 ISt coaches were up in the middle of the play and they didn't even receive a warning.  

Pure insanity.  Lots of ticky tack calls on both teams.  

If we didn't absolutely huff nuts at shooting FTs, we would have pulled it off.  

I told a buddy in the non-conference that this teams' woes from the stripe might cost it a chance at the Big 12 title, and I feel vindicated in that opinion.  But not happy about it by any means.

2 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

If we didn't absolutely huff nuts at shooting FTs, we would have pulled it off.  

I told a buddy in the non-conference that this teams' woes from the stripe might cost it a chance at the Big 12 title, and I feel vindicated in that opinion.  But not happy about it by any means.

I mean, we weren't any better.  We missed 5 straight down the stretch to keep y'all in it.   lol 

Who the fuck is Baylor to boo anyone for off court accusations?  They actin like Pop Isaacs wore a Waco PD windbreaker in warmups.

8 hours ago, Brian Fantana said:

Better effort than I expected considering how thin we are right now. UCF at home is a must win.

We really needed you guys to beat Baylor.  We don't get a rematch in Ames with them this year.  I see plenty of potential future losses for Baylor, but this is one thing I really don't like about the lack of double round robin.  Winning the regular season will come down more to the luck of the draw going forward.

2 hours ago, Al_4_ISU said:

We really needed you guys to beat Baylor.  We don't get a rematch in Ames with them this year.  I see plenty of potential future losses for Baylor, but this is one thing I really don't like about the lack of double round robin.  Winning the regular season will come down more to the luck of the draw going forward.

I would have said 0% chance before the game yesterday. Without our 7 footer we are really small and it's hard for us to do a lot of pick-n-roll action. They still played pretty well without him, but our lack of depth is really catching up to us with the flu stuff and this. I think he was just being held out as a precaution but still.

1 hour ago, ClubWhatever said:

Is the sponsor of the ISU court a seed company?

Yeah, Pioneer Hybrids ain’t a car company.  They are a big deal in the ag world. 

On 2/5/2024 at 8:06 PM, Pancho said:

4 quarters and FTs at the 5th foul have shown to shorten games, which is the biggest complaint now

Stupid question amnesty question - why does 4 quarters shorten actual game time vs two halves assuming total game clock time is the same? Genuinely don’t know…

Edited by Ignatius

1 hour ago, slorch said:

Yeah, Pioneer Hybrids ain’t a car company.  They are a big deal in the ag world. 

Lol I was gonna respond but the other West Texas dude beat me to it. And Pioneer has had their logo on that court as long as I can remember, probably since the B12 was formed…

Edited by Ignatius

45 minutes ago, Ignatius said:

Stupid question amnesty question - why does 4 quarters shorten actual game time vs two halves assuming total game clock time is the same? Genuinely don’t know…

FEWER TV timeouts and less clock stopping for FTs I assume since fouls reset each quarter 

fixed before the grammar Nazis get me 

Edited by Js1

29 minutes ago, Ignatius said:

The amount of tv timeouts goes down

15 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Less TV timeouts and less clock stopping for FTs I assume since fouls reset each quarter 

The difference in what it takes to get into the bonus makes sense. On the timeouts, Gillette, Budweiser, etc, still need the same number of ad minutes to spend $X, right? If men’s hoops went to quarters wouldn’t they just increase the amount/length of TV timeouts? Seems unlikely they’d want to decrease their revenue, and it seems unlikely that advertisers would pay more for the same amount of ad time….

1 hour ago, Ignatius said:

The difference in what it takes to get into the bonus makes sense. On the timeouts, Gillette, Budweiser, etc, still need the same number of ad minutes to spend $X, right? If men’s hoops went to quarters wouldn’t they just increase the amount/length of TV timeouts? Seems unlikely they’d want to decrease their revenue, and it seems unlikely that advertisers would pay more for the same amount of ad time….

No, the amount and length of the timeouts wouldn’t change. Advertisers will pay because they know people will still watch the product. 

The tournament has carve outs for it regarding tv anyway. That’s really what advertisers care about. 

I like the 2-half system.  You know exactly when the TV timeouts are going to happen.  Sometimes, I jump off the couch and head to the kitchen for a refill as a ball rolls OOB as the whistle blows.  Wife asks, "How'd you know it would be a time-out?", and I explain to her first dead ball after 12min( or corresponding spot) is a TO. 

Edited by slorch