2023 Texas Volleyball - Back to Back!

Js1

Just now, Rickylovesweed said:

Madi Skinner is now 16-1 in the NCAA tournament. 

Are we the best team in the country? Not sure but I definitely wouldn't bet against us when we have Skinner. 

Just look the football team - just gotta get hot at the right time. 

49 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

Nebraska is obviously very talented and good but interested how they handle things in the Final 4 against better competition with more pressure. 

They are a very young team. 

4 of NU's 5 best players are underclassmen.  This isn't their year IMO

• Like 1

Man, trying to watch my daughter play and this at the same time was difficult. I thought my wife was gonna kill me. They had this playing on a tv I could see through a window at the gym we were at. What a great game. I thought we were going to bow out after how we looked against them earlier in the season. Damn solid performance from the girls!!

• Hook 'Em 2

Well, after putting down in writing my mild hostility for Madi Skinner, which I can't quite explain, I guess I have to retract it.

Obviously, she is a massively talented hitter, and not hard on the eyes.  I guess I resented her coming from UK a bit  aaaand I felt like she ran a little hot and cold and initially was too much of an outsider to provide great leadership.

But she turnt it up last night, big time bro.

But let us not forget the block, Asjia, Molly and Bella.  The block really turnt it up in that 4th set.

Also, did anyone notice the big hug between Jenna and Jerritt?  That seemed to reveal something in terms of both of them knowing she hadn't been playing to her potential.  I think.

• Hook 'Em 6

9 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

Also, did anyone notice the big hug between Jenna and Jerritt?  That seemed to reveal something in terms of both of them knowing she hadn't been playing to her potential.  I think.

Much criticized, often called to be benched. Even Thursday night. Must be cathartic for her to have a good match (1 error) against a top 5 team. She wasn’t required to be super terminal last night, just play error free and keep the ball in play instead of just getting blocked. Gives your defense a chance to score a point. 

Edited by Js1
  • Hook 'Em 4

Don’t follow volleyball much beyond knowing our team is really good, has been forever, and enjoy watching the few times I see it a year. 
with basically the elite 8 being 7 of the top 8 as 1/2 seeds and the final 4 being what- top 3 seeds plus us as maybe the 6 overall- is volleyball a sport that almost always ends up better team winning, is the total pool of schools that are good really shallow or is this a bit of an unusual year where it’s all chalk?  
thanks, I will hang up and listen. 

12 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Don’t follow volleyball much beyond knowing our team is really good, has been forever, and enjoy watching the few times I see it a year. 
with basically the elite 8 being 7 of the top 8 as 1/2 seeds and the final 4 being what- top 3 seeds plus us as maybe the 6 overall- is volleyball a sport that almost always ends up better team winning, is the total pool of schools that are good really shallow or is this a bit of an unusual year where it’s all chalk?  

Al 4 #1 seeds haven’t made the semifinals since 2008 I think. Usually not full chalk, but pretty darn chalky (usually 1s and 2s)

• Hook 'Em 2

I’d say we are starting to see way more talent infusion into the college ranks across all the teams because the sport is exploding at the junior level, which means we’ll start seeing more programs at the upper echelon that could win it all in any given year. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Rickylovesweed said:

It's fairly obvious that Elliott has embraced the "if we do lose it's going to be with Skinner taking 40 to 50 swings" mentality. The right approach. 

Ella did a good job spreading it around early in the match and then letting Madi close it in the 4th. 9 of her 24 kills in the 4th set. 

Madi 24 kills

Texas block 12 points 

O’Neal 10 kills

Texas also won the serve ace/error game by 6 points (6 aces, 14 errors for Stanford and 5 aces, 7 errors for Texas)

• Hook 'Em 6

1 hour ago, Wulaw Horn said:

I'm certainly no expert, or even knowledgeable, on volleyball, but I've noticed this with women's basketball too.  20 years ago someone in my office created a women's March madness office pool, and it went almost chalk the entire way.  Not only just all 1s making the final four but even pretty much all 10s beating 7s, etc.

I doubt it's quite that extreme in women's basketball today, but I think that it's a function of 1)less available players from the talent pool so the big dogs get the good ones, and 2) without stepping into a cloakroom minefield, girls mature earlier and there is less of a huge growth post puberty (testosterone does amazing shit to the body) so there's less likely to be some overlooked late bloomer that lower schools can snag and develop.

Well I would said a big reason the top teams keep dominating in volleyball is simply that most the top coaches are at certain schools. 

Sheffield, Elliott, and Cook have been at their schools for a long time and are probably the top 3 coaches in volleyball. The top teams keep winning because the coaches stay there long-term. 

• Hook 'Em 1

27 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

The top 4 coaches in volleyball are what.....Elliott, Sheffield, Cook, and Hambly? 

This will likely be the 6th time in 7 years that one of those coaches win a title. 

I can’t yet say Hambly is one. He won those 2 titles with Dunning’s recruits but hasn’t won one since or even made the final four once they graduated. Despite racking up top 3 classes. Too many losses prior to the final four since 2019 - including back to back losses in the regional final they hosted 

Top 3 active coaches would be Cook, Elliot, Sheffield. Second tier is Wise, Hambly, Busboom Kelly, Skinner and Fisher. Third tier is probably McGuire, Rackham Watt, Ullmer and Collier at GT

5 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

I see the time slots are 6 & 8:30p, but can't tell if that's EST or CST.  Nebraska/Pitt, I would think has less national appeal than Texas/Wisconsin, but I'm wrong daily.  I'm gonna assume we get the prime-time slot though.

Nebraska/Pitt is 6 central time. Texas/Wisconsin is at 8:30, or 30 min after the previous match ends if it runs into the 8:30 window 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Not a cat said:

I'm certainly no expert, or even knowledgeable, on volleyball, but I've noticed this with women's basketball too.  20 years ago someone in my office created a women's March madness office pool, and it went almost chalk the entire way.  Not only just all 1s making the final four but even pretty much all 10s beating 7s, etc.

I doubt it's quite that extreme in women's basketball today, but I think that it's a function of 1)less available players from the talent pool so the big dogs get the good ones, and 2) without stepping into a cloakroom minefield, girls mature earlier and there is less of a huge growth post puberty (testosterone does amazing shit to the body) so there's less likely to be some overlooked late bloomer that lower schools can snag and develop.

I am also no expert.  What I saw yesterday however was the avg. height of teams appeared to be a key factor.  Nebraska and Wisconsin had much taller athletes than Arkansas and Oregon.  Arkansas struggled all day getting over Nebraska's block and Wisconsin could consistently get points from Franklin (6'4) and Smrek (6'9).  To my untrained eye, Oregon had the best offense I saw yesterday.  They just had no way to defend Wisconsin at the net.

2 minutes ago, Bodhi said:

Nebraska and Wisconsin had much taller athletes than Arkansas and Oregon

I mean, Arkansas has a 5’7 OH, 5’8 OH and 5’10 setter. Huge mismatch. 

Wisconsin is just huge. 6’2 setter (one of them, they play a 6-2), 6’7 MB and 6’9 OPP. 

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, Bodhi said:

I am also no expert.  What I saw yesterday however was the avg. height of teams appeared to be a key factor.  Nebraska and Wisconsin had much taller athletes than Arkansas and Oregon.  Arkansas struggled all day getting over Nebraska's block and Wisconsin could consistently get points from Franklin (6'4) and Smrek (6'9).  To my untrained eye, Oregon had the best offense I saw yesterday.  They just had no way to defend Wisconsin at the net.

Often true on the block.  There have been some real stork stiffs on opponents that have given us trouble despite the combined height and athleticism of our hitters.

Hitters with leaping ability can get away with less than towering height.

Wisconsin might be the best defense we’ve faced all year, and Stanford is no slouch on that end, usually. And that’s saying something about Wisconsin when Nebraska still has the best libero in the country 

It is going to be a war. 

Edited by Js1

5 hours ago, Rickylovesweed said:

Well I would said a big reason the top teams keep dominating in volleyball is simply that most the top coaches are at certain schools. 

Sheffield, Elliott, and Cook have been at their schools for a long time and are probably the top 3 coaches in volleyball. The top teams keep winning because the coaches stay there long-term. 

Y'all mean the top coaches in college women's volleyball, right? I think it's probably something that's just a given in what y'all are saying, but I'm just curious.

6 hours ago, MrX said:

I’d say we are starting to see way more talent infusion into the college ranks across all the teams because the sport is exploding at the junior level, which means we’ll start seeing more programs at the upper echelon that could win it all in any given year. 

Yep and at least in Austin (and seemingly nationwide), the boys' junior scene is blowing up, too. Can't wait for boys indoor to get a real foothold nationwide and for more colleges to pick up men's indoor. It will help to continue elevating awareness of the sport for both the women's and men's sides imho.

Edited by wood

6 hours ago, MrX said:

And…more of the taller female athletes are choosing volleyball over basketball than prior years.

1 hour ago, perfectchaos007 said:

Wouldn't surprise me if Madison Skinner can dunk. I remember hearing that not only could Destinee Hooker dunk, but she could touch 11'. Just insane hops 

Olivia Babcock at Pitt looks like she could jump through the basket feet first.

Not everyone may be aware Ella is playing injured. Something with her foot or ankle. She has been booted up for a while now and is not jump setting. She still obviously jumps to block and joust but she doesn’t jump set anymore to avoid aggravating it. 

USAMNT setter Micah Christenson talked about how going back to setting flat footed was like a “back to basics” type of thing that made him a better setter. So it’s not the worst thing in the world and it hasn’t affected us negatively. 

• Hook 'Em 5

Only way this matchup could be better for me is if it occurred one round later.  Really excited to see these teams go at it.  I regret that I haven't been able to watch either team as much as I would have liked this year, so take that into account with my below quick assessment:

Captain obvious: Wisconsin has a ton of height this year and their front leads the way.  They also have what I'll call a sneaky good back end - not pulling the end of season awards, but a bunch of talent right below that All-conference level.

I see this as a 55 UW / 45 UT match.  We've been saying all year that this UT team has flaws, but they also have high end ability / volatility that can easily push them past what might be a better team on paper.  Franklin is NPOY good (and Madi may not be far behind her), but Madi has the ability to take over a set and carry a team in ways Franklin doesn't - or at least has not had to.  I kind of want to see if Madi can OT Smrek.  Asjia vs Booth should be a fun matchup.

My keys for a UT victory:

- Captain obvious again: you need Madi to have a big match.  Captain less obvious: that doesn't necessarily mean a 20 kill outing.  It may mean 1) drawing UW's defensive attention to open up opportunities for Asjia, Molly, Jenna 2) getting critical kills / sideouts from the back row 3) stepping up the back row serve receive / defense

- Ella is going to need to be on point to keep the Wisconsin blocks moving/guessing (I'm looking at you Asjia) and to put her hitters in position to maximize efficiency.

- To me, UW's TTA is analogous to Wenaas in that her performance in a 50/50 type matchup can tell you which way the tide will turn.  Keep an eye on these two.

- UW's serve receive can be shaky at times.  Akana/Halter/Barnes may be able to sneak a few points this way.

I think the folks upthread did a good job of explaining why NCAA WVB tends to be chalky.  Two other considerations:

- Due to highly lucrative pro FB and MBB careers, there's a stronger incentive for higher end talent to move around to maximize exposure, creating more parity.

- Specifically for volleyball, the scoring system tempers the amount of upsets/volatility.  In basketball, if a lower seed gets really hot and puts up a 25-5 run or something, you need to overcome all of that delta the rest of the game.  In volleyball, if a team has an awful set and loses 25-8, aside from the mental impact, there's no difference in that and losing the set 25-23.  Just run it back the next set.

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

• blacklab changed the title to 2023 Texas Volleyball - Back to Back!