Dollar Theater Nostalgia

billfromlaketravis

Loved that theater. There was also a Ninfas next door for a bit and could go there before the flick for a coke and chips and salsa.  

Liked to sit outside of LC and watch the Glencarin 7-11 parking lot for fights/action. We were there when they were raided and the whole staff except for two took off running lol. 

$1 theater, Golds/24hr fitness, pool and then off to Mr Gattis for the arcade and buffet was the summer schedule for tons of kids. 

Edited by ChickenSandwich
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Knoxtnhorn said:

Promenade Theater (Richardson) up in here.  My parents used to drop us off for "alone time".  Awesome for Raiders; not so great for *The Right Stuff.

*Much better movie to watch as an adult.

It wasn't a dollar cinema when Raiders was there (I saw it there twice). That was when it had two huge. nice theaters. They chopped those 2 up into a bunch of tiny dollar screening rooms around 1983.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, rage-a-holic said:

It wasn't a dollar cinema when Raiders was there (I saw it there twice). That was when it had two huge. nice theaters. They chopped those 2 up into a bunch of tiny dollar screening rooms around 1983.

You're correct.  I believe the dollar theater was at Coit and Beltline.  $1 came later at Promenade.  Same mall as Bill's Records, yes?

Just now, Knoxtnhorn said:

You're correct.  I believe the dollar theater was at Coit and Beltline.  $1 came later at Promenade.  Same mall as Bill's Records, yes?

No, Bill's was at Coit/Spring Valley. There was a dollar theater close to Bill's (which also used to be a nice place with large theaters...I saw Star Wars there). It got chopped into smaller dollar screening rooms sometime mid-80's.

• Hook 'Em 1

We used to go to Promenade and the other Richardson dollar theater over Christmas and during the summers to take in all the movies we missed during the semesters.  During Christmas, we'd smuggle in beers in our coats.

One of the more comical occurrences was when someone would kick over one of their bottles or cans and it would roll down the floor all the way to the front.  We never managed to get caught or kicked out.

• Hook 'Em 2

34 minutes ago, rage-a-holic said:

No, Bill's was at Coit/Spring Valley. There was a dollar theater close to Bill's (which also used to be a nice place with large theaters...I saw Star Wars there). It got chopped into smaller dollar screening rooms sometime mid-80's.

Got it.  Promenade was by Pipe Organ's Pizza then.  The other one was by Bill's.  I also recall the giggles as the "other theater" was next to a bakery that had adult themed candy and cupcakes.

5 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

One of the more comical occurrences was when someone would kick over one of their bottles or cans and it would roll down the floor all the way to the front.  We never managed to get caught or kicked out.

Happened to a couple of friends and me at some dollar theater, perhaps the one from the OP, in Houston.  Wayne's World 2.  Entire case spilled, rolled, and shattered on the way down the incline.

• Hook 'Em 2

12 hours ago, ChickenSandwich said:

Loved that theater. There was also a Ninfas next door for a bit and could go there before the flick for a coke and chips and salsa.  

Liked to sit outside of LC and watch the Glencarin 7-11 parking lot for fights/action. We were there when they were raided and the whole staff except for two took off running lol. 

$1 theater, Golds/24hr fitness, pool and then off to Mr Gattis for the arcade and buffet was the summer schedule for tons of kids. 

image.gif.88177316bb669ee7693e979dc0c261ed.gif

• Hook 'Em 1

6 hours ago, MissingInAction said:

Saw 2012 there, and there was a family making tacos and passing them around. Great fucking tacos.

That sounds like a typical family night at Cinemark. We used to call it Chafa Mark.

• Hook 'Em 1

9 hours ago, Eskimohorn said:

Shit I saw Right Stuff when I was 10 or so. Loved it back then.

Should have made you want to run out and sign up for flight school at that age. Not being a city boy, I never experienced the dollar theater. Closest thing we had was the drive-in up in Bowie. The one in Decatur was torn down when the real estate became more valuable.

On 8/12/2023 at 3:01 PM, F250 said:

I saw The Devils Advocate at Cinemark San Antonio 16. The scene where Keanus mom recognized Al Pacino as the devil was the moment a big rat ran by my feet.

Was it a rat, or one of Vic's ladies?