Kenny Paxton/Dave P's Impeachment Game Day Thread

atomheartbevo

5 minutes ago, South Austin said:

Is the prosecution going to give another attorney the chance to examine a witness?  I know she's not known as a trial lawyer, but I wouldn't mind seeing Harriet just for a change of pace.  It might wake up the jurors as well.

Rusty is barely treading water this afternoon.

Is the prosecution going to give another attorney the chance to examine a witness?  I know she's not known as a trial lawyer, but I wouldn't mind seeing Harriet just for a change of pace.  It might wake up the jurors as well.

Hardin just seems bad at this imo. Droning and into so many details. 

Hardin:  "I'm sorry, I'm all confused!"
Sums up the afternoon.

I’m rooting for his team, but Hardin’s long, whispy, narrative, compound, rambling questions are brutal to follow for witness, jury, and audience … he’s way past his prime.

The Paxton team come across as rude, bitchy SOBs, but at least they can complete a clear question (albeit frequently infused with BS argumentative, harassing comments).

37 minutes ago, DDD Dad said:

Rusty is barely treading water this afternoon.

35 minutes ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

Hardin just seems bad at this imo. Droning and into so many details. 

32 minutes ago, DDD Dad said:

And when he gets challenged on questions he doesn't fix the question, he just kind of gives up and moves on.

30 minutes ago, South Austin said:

Hardin:  "I'm sorry, I'm all confused!"

Sums up the afternoon.

Because he seemed to have started off well, I'm guessing this is an age/stamina issue rather than a mental or talent issue.

People don't realize, probably, how mentally and in turn physically exhausting trial work can be.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, TwiceHorn said:

People don't realize, probably, how mentally and in turn physically exhausting trial work can be.

It is exhausting.  I had a week-long jury trial in May, and I had my fastball going right through closing argument late Friday afternoon.  I'm 48, though, not 81.

• Hook 'Em 3

7 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

Because he seemed to have started off well, I'm guessing this is an age/stamina issue rather than a mental or talent issue.

Any job that requires you to think on your feet repeatedly is mentally and physically exhausting.  It's why most people retire.

9 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

Some of us do.

21 hours ago, Horn Under a Bad Sign said:

";..Jesus, the founder and perfecter of our faith, as well as carpenter/kitchen remodeler."

1 hour ago, TwiceHorn said:

I don't think any of this can hurt a federal investigation much.  It has vast potential to hurt Paxton, though.

About the worst thing going on here (for both a federal investigation and for Paxton) is that these people are getting their "stories" under oath, making it more difficult for them to credibly deviate from them in the future.  Because the stories against Paxton are pretty inherently factual, and the stories for are not, more damage is being done to Paxton than to future or current criminal investigations.

So that explains why some of them have been picky with their responses, like all the hem-hawing about contacting the FBI.  Thanks very much for the explanation!

• Haha 1

Another smarmy douche defense attorney. All of these guys are so punchable. You don't have a good defense when you're entire case revolves around letterhead.

11 minutes ago, chainsaw said:

I think he's overdoing the bully bit.

It's feigned outrage.

36 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

33 minutes ago, South Austin said:

It is exhausting.  I had a week-long jury trial in May, and I had my fastball going right through closing argument late Friday afternoon.  I'm 48, though, not 81.

I can still do full-bore trial work.  But when it's all over....man, then comes the crash.  Shit, it was that way when I was significantly younger, too.  My wife knew that if I was going in to a trial of any length (more than 1-2 days), when it was over, I was going to crash, and then get sick.  Like, 100% of the time, within 2-3 days of the end of trial, I'd come down with a cold or something because I was so wrung out.

Still....it's fucking fun as shit.

• Hook 'Em 2

I can still do full-bore trial work.  But when it's all over....man, then comes the crash.  Shit, it was that way when I was significantly younger, too.  My wife knew that if I was going in to a trial of any length (more than 1-2 days), when it was over, I was going to crash, and then get sick.  Like, 100% of the time, within 2-3 days of the end of trial, I'd come down with a cold or something because I was so wrung out.

Major adrenaline dump
  • Hook 'Em 1

I'm getting hard with all this discussion about provisions of the Government Code relating to AG opinions.  More, please.

It's pro bono work for her.

I’ve been married too long for any argument to be pro bono.

Vasser is in the category of one of the weakest trial witnesses I've ever seen in my life. 
And is Rusty asleep?  He didn't even try to object to the argumentative horseshit of the "self-licking ice cream cone" question.  What the fuck was that?

This guy is falling apart and will probably incriminate himself by the end of this. Poor guy

1 minute ago, South Austin said:

Vasser is in the category of one of the weakest trial witnesses I've ever seen in my life. 

And is Rusty asleep?  He didn't even try to object to the argumentative horseshit of the "self-licking ice cream cone" question.  What the fuck was that?

No shit. That was bizarre. And Vassar is an idiot for answering these guilty/not guilty questions with any answer other than "that's for the jury to decide" is completely stupid.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, royiv said:

No shit. That was bizarre. And Vassar is an idiot for answering these guilty/not guilty questions with any answer other than "that's for the jury to decide" is completely stupid.

I hope he has the same energy when he's trying to annul every gay marriage in the nation

This is an energy problem. Too old to go all day.

1 minute ago, royiv said:

This guy was one of the top attorneys for the State of Texas. The best and brightest.

I believe it. But it seems like toward the end of the day the flame goes out and this poor guy is left to die up there. But as fun as this cross might be for Paxton's attorney I'm not sure how much of a dent this is making into the substance of what happened.

Like I said, no matter how you spin it, Nate Paul was getting special treatment from the OAG in its official capacity that nobody else was getting. It was inexplicable, these choirboys felt the heat, and they had every right to blow the whistle.

1 minute ago, chainsaw said:

I believe it. But it seems like toward the end of the day the flame goes out and this poor guy is left to die up there. But as fun as this cross might be for Paxton's attorney I'm not sure how much of a dent this is making into the substance of what happened.

Like I said, no matter how you spin it, Nate Paul was getting special treatment from the OAG in its official capacity that nobody else was getting. It was inexplicable, these choirboys felt the heat, and they had every right to blow the whistle.

Don't disagree with anything you said here, but I wouldn't want this guy representing me on a parking violation.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

And the actual trial is only a small part of the work. Staying up dealing with exhibit objections, deposition cuts, briefs on random issues that pop up, jury charges issues, not to mention preparing witnesses or prepping for cross. And, then, finally when you have a moment to sleep, having the adrenaline and the no doubt copious amounts of caffeine you consumed preventing actual rest. My first real trial (arbitration), my brain wouldn't let me sleep for the 5 days. Too much to think about it. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Paxton needs to send Ryan Vassar a bottle of Dom when this is over.

He won’t drink it. This guy is terrible and he was that high up as a lawyer. Amazing. I’ve had to be a witness/expert witness a few times and I could figure out where the lawyer was going and how to answer truthfully to head it off. This guy is an idiot and broken.