2023 Houston Texans thread

Macklemore

DeMeco is the perfect coach for this team! I love how he’s changed his sideline demeanor now that he is HC as well. He acted like he expected them to win that game. I love it. An Bobby needs to get some love too. He’s got one more season here as OC before he gets a shot of his own. I hope DeMeco has somebody in mind.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Hate said:

DeMeco is the perfect coach for this team! I love how he’s changed his sideline demeanor now that he is HC as well. He acted like he expected them to win that game. I love it. An Bobby needs to get some love too. He’s got one more season here as OC before he gets a shot of his own. I hope DeMeco has somebody in mind.

Case Keenum.

Would’ve been nice to get Sauce and either Jordan Davis or Garret Wilson/Chris Olave in the 2022 draft though. Whiffing on Stingley and aggy guard then overpaying for Will Anderson makes the Watson trade feel empty. Effectively, Texans gave up Watson and their #33 overall pick in 2023 for Kenyon Green and Will Anderson. 

I don’t know if dumb is the right word, but desperate is. The Browns were desperate to have a franchise QB and did what they thought they had to do. Their last franchise QB was Bernie Kosar. Think about that for a minute. There are many posters on this site who weren’t even born the last time the Browns were truly relevant.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Murfdogg21 said:

Would’ve been nice to get Sauce and either Jordan Davis or Garret Wilson/Chris Olave in the 2022 draft though. Whiffing on Stingley and aggy guard then overpaying for Will Anderson makes the Watson trade feel empty. Effectively, Texans gave up Watson and their #33 overall pick in 2023 for Kenyon Green and Will Anderson. 

Yeah, but if they drafted better then they potentially win more games and don't get Stroud.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Murfdogg21 said:

overpaying for Will Anderson

It might have seemed that way at the time but with it looking like the 2024  #1 they gave up will be in the bottom half of the draft, it’s looking better all the time. Plus, there is no defensive player in the 2024 draft that even approaches Anderson’s potential. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

If Cleveland completely collapses now that Watsons out for the year and that last DeShaun pick turns into Keon Coleman/Chop Robinson/Kool-Aid McKinstry, the decision to send our pick to Arizona instead of Cleveland’s is going to be some genius-level shit…

Edited by Ignatius
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Will Anderson has been a top 10 guy at his position this year, maybe top 5, according to the advanced stats. He's an absolute monster in the making.
  • Hook 'Em 1

He needs some help on the other side so he isn’t double teamed every play, but I suspect DeMeco will look to get him help in the draft/FA. I think DeMeco would like to follow the blueprint that he learned at SF of investing in your DL with high picks. A good DL makes your backend better at every position.

• Hook 'Em 1

24 minutes ago, APMP said:
On 11/15/2023 at 12:18 PM, Murfdogg21 said:

Will Anderson has been a top 10 guy at his position this year, maybe top 5, according to the advanced stats. He's an absolute monster in the making.

Yeah, I like Anderson and am glad he’s on the Texans. I also think Caserio overpaid based on everything that came out after the draft. They could’ve given up #33 or next year’s #1, but they didnt have to give both. AZ wanted out of the #3 spot. 

Yeah, I like Anderson and am glad he’s on the Texans. I also think Caserio overpaid based on everything that came out after the draft. They could’ve given up #33 or next year’s #1, but they didnt have to give both. AZ wanted out of the #3 spot. 
Yeah it's an overpay if you think about the usual cost to move up from 12 to 3 for a non QB. However, the fact that we still had the CLE first helps cushion the blow.

Here's how I look at it. Say we drafted Will at #2... the fact that he is #3 amongst NFL edge defenders in pass rush win percentage and #1 in run support win percentage means it's a home run pick. So then it's that package for Stroud at #3, which is a freaking slam dunk deal.
  • Like 2

40 minutes ago, Hate said:

He needs some help on the other side so he isn’t double teamed every play, but I suspect DeMeco will look to get him help in the draft/FA. I think DeMeco would like to follow the blueprint that he learned at SF of investing in your DL with high picks. A good DL makes your backend better at every position.

Was shocked we didn't go after Chase Young. Is he a FA after the season?

21 hours ago, Ignatius said:

If Cleveland completely collapses now that Watsons out for the year and that last DeShaun pick turns into Keon Coleman/Chop Robinson/Kool-Aid McKinstry, the decision to send our pick to Arizona instead of Cleveland’s is going to be some genius-level shit…

Their defense is too good for them to completely collapse 

If we're going to relitigate old transactions, yes Will Anderson was probably an over-pay, but Demeco loved him and wanted him, and Houston had just beat out several other franchises for Demeco. It made sense to let him have his guy. Will Anderson has since demonstrated that he's very likely a future great (albeit probably not quite elite) edge, and Houston is good enough to where it's looking like that 2024 pick would have been somewhere in the mid teens anyway 

I didn't love trading that pick away because I wanted Caleb/Maye/Harrison Jr, but Houston also had a ridiculously easy schedule where they were likely going to accidentally win too many games, and probably would have missed out on the top three 

The bigger issues are Kenyon Green, who many didn't like at the time of the pick, is looking like a bust, and Stingley can't stay healthy while Sauce Gardner is looking like he could be the best corner in the league for a long period of time, but Stroud looking like a top ten QB in the league as a rookie and like a future top five guy makes everything that hasn't worked up to this point pale in comparison 

Houston is going to have a three year "good QB on the rookie wage scale" window in Stroud's years 2-4 (his fifth year option will be more expensive) where if Houston plays its cards right, it could contend. It'll be interesting to see where they go with it. Chase Young makes sense. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Fud said:

Yep, they beat San Francisco without him, but that was their only win without Watson. They are 1-2 in their non-Watson games and their QBs have a 1-8 TD/INT ratio. Plus, they lost Chubb. I think they are going to be struggle to finish above .500 moving forward.

4 hours ago, HtownHorn said:

Was shocked we didn't go after Chase Young. Is he a FA after the season?

We only have $4MM in cap space this year and the 5th most in the league next. No point in restructuring deals that chip into the latter to roll the dice on a talented guy who can’t stay healthy. I’d rather throw all of that $$ into a Greenard extension…

2 hours ago, Fud said:

Most likely; more wishful thinking than a prediction…

The one long sleeve one short sleeve thing is stupid and I’m not a fan of the bowling ball red helmets, but I do think the blue jersey and pant combo is sharp and I like the style of the numbers. That with a white helmet and red/blue logo (kind of like some team that used to play here) is something I could get behind….

12 hours ago, HtownHorn said:

If he makes it to us in the 1st, we 100% need to take Sweat, but I think he's likely gone in the Top 15 maybe Top 10 when he blows up at the combine.

Definitely a position of need and Sweat should be there whenever we draft on day 1. He’s currently mocked as day 2 guy by just about everyone. 

Tank is probably my favorite Texans draft pick of all time when it comes to value as a 3rd rounder. Loved it on draft day and he has done nothing but produce.

4 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Is Dell a better version of Worthy? I’d say yes. 

I’d rather have Adonai Mitchell

• Like 1