Give me a phat beat

blacklab

3 hours ago, Evil Bill Obrien said:

This thread needs more robotic bulls running to AC/DC and goring players the 2002 Dallas Cowboys...so here you go...yall are welcome:

Lotta questions on this one too.

Why is the unanimated robot bull in a crate in the middle of an oilfield? Was it dumped from a plane in desperation, like bags of cocaine?

Where did the lightning come from? Seemed mostly cloudy, at best. Maybe just the wrath of an angry god unleashing a robo-mascot to smite a sinful National Football League.

Where is that sign and why does it only offer two locations: Houston or Mexico?

Can the electronic robobull read? 

Wait...Mexico?

Ultimately, robobull chose poorly, because if my choice is Mexico or being at a Houston Texans game, I'm choosing Mexico every time.

• Hook 'Em 3

13 minutes ago, gofuckyourself said:

Why is the unanimated robot bull in a crate in the middle of an oilfield? Was it dumped from a plane in desperation, like bags of cocaine?

Where did the lightning come from? Seemed mostly cloudy, at best. Maybe just the wrath of an angry god unleashing a robo-mascot to smite a sinful National Football League.

Wait...Mexico?

Ultimately, robobull chose poorly, because if my choice is Mexico or being at a Houston Texans game, I'm choosing Mexico every time.

You may have questions, but I think that video explains the travesty that is the Houston Texans quite nicely. On top of all the terrible visuals, the audio editing on that thing is shitty.

I would say it is beyond embarrasing that a professional team is associated with that, but Houston hasn't had a professional football team since 1996. 

• Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, gofuckyourself said:

Wait...Mexico?

Think most of these questions can be answered by the fact that this video is over 20 years old at this point...

I remember bitching about how terribad those graphics were multiple years into the 2000s. Those were terrible graphcs even for 1999.

I even remember bitching on either HF or Shaggy that we could literally hire one of our Computer Science majors, and pay them $5k to just remaster the same damn video and it would have been 10X better in whichever year we finally retired that shit. 

1 hour ago, AUS-97HORN said:

I remember bitching about how terribad those graphics were multiple years into the 2000s. Those were terrible graphcs even for 1999.

I even remember bitching on either HF or Shaggy that we could literally hire one of our Computer Science majors, and pay them $5k to just remaster the same damn video and it would have been 10X better in whichever year we finally retired that shit. 

Little strange having a thread on it and seeing people on Twitter talking about how good it was. I remember the opposite, just what you said, lots of it. "We have so much money and we're trotting this garbage out? "

23 hours ago, David Dennison said:

When was the last season they used that?

I decided to do some deep investigative work, and that video was downloaded July 6, 2006, so it was probably around for the 2005 season. Possibly earlier. I don’t know how many seasons it was played, but I do remember some humorless people complaining on Hornfans that it was too dated and needed to be retired instead of continuing to be played on Godzillatron. 

Edited by ImissWallyPryor

On 9/14/2023 at 10:07 PM, softlynow said:

Ours was good and terrible. But this …

Thanks for sending me down the Alaska Fairbanks hockey intro rabbit hole. They've apparently been making these intro vids since 2006! 

Sadly, it appears that 2019 was the final appearance of Space Bear, shortly after transitioning from a 3D model to a 2D animation

17 hours ago, gofuckyourself said:

Wait...Mexico?

Why does the bull look like a fucking two horned rhinoceros, and the question I've had since the inception of the Texans is why use a damn bull as a mascot? If you want to use a bull they should have named them the Toros. Fuck Bud Adam's and his petty ass for taking the Oilers name with him and fuck Drayton McLane for saying the dome was fine and as soon as the Oilers were gone he got a fucking new baseball stadium. I'll only watch pro sports now if it's the playoffs. So basically if it weren't for the Astros I'd never watch a pro game.

10 hours ago, Dewey said:

Little strange having a thread on it and seeing people on Twitter talking about how good it was. I remember the opposite, just what you said, lots of it. "We have so much money and we're trotting this garbage out? "

My section definitely thought it was terrible, cringy, and completely fucking outstanding.  Loved it.  It’s kind of like state fair food, complete dogshit but damn if I don’t want more of it.  The lightning bolts from Ricky and Earl zapping those chubby little dudes into minotaurs of death is right up there with Citizen Kane.  

13 hours ago, scottsins said:

Was the story back then that it was in memory of Cole Pittman after he died?

I don't think so. I think it may have been played a season or 2 before he passed, but if not, i don't recall hearing about the tie in.   What I recall is Mack liked the song/message.  And thus of course that somehow led to thinking it would be appropriate last 5 minutes of warmups.  It wasn't that different from the other pregame music that is polar opposite of what it is now (asleep at the wheel, lyle lovett, etc.).   I honestly don't think there was much thought put into gameday production back in those days.  CDC clearly a much different AD than Deloss in that regard.

1 hour ago, Your Mom said:

My section definitely thought it was terrible, cringy, and completely fucking outstanding.  Loved it.  It’s kind of like state fair food, complete dogshit but damn if I don’t want more of it.  The lightning bolts from Ricky and Earl zapping those chubby little dudes into minotaurs of death is right up there with Citizen Kane.  

Yeah.  I don't think it was ever good.  But it was awesome. 

They definitely mixed it it with highlights towards the end of its use.  Was the John Steinbeck intro part of it or after it?