Yankees 2023 Offseason Thread of Sadness

tx 3 putt

I’m very torn here, I much prefer starting this thread after Altuve puts his little mijo to bed / knock the Yankees out of the playoffs. 

It is what it is

does Boone get shit canned ?

How does cashman have a job ?

do they have money to spend ?

IMG_6709.jpeg

56 minutes ago, Storm the Field said:

The problem is the NYY fanbase will never accept that. If there's a player available, they want him, regardless of the cost. If not, they'll say Hal and Cashman are cheap and not doing thing the way George used to. 

Could not be further from the truth. None of us wanted Donaldson, gallo, montas, etc. We wanted guys like Harper, Machado, Ohtani, Soto. Cause they’re actually fucking good and not that old.

1 hour ago, Helobious said:

Could not be further from the truth. None of us wanted Donaldson, gallo, montas, etc. We wanted guys like Harper, Machado, Ohtani, Soto. Cause they’re actually fucking good and not that old.

You just proved my point. Yankees fans expect to routinely sign multiple franchise players that cost several hundred million dollars a piece. If someone else decides to give half a billion to one of those guys, Yankee Nation will excoriate the front office for not topping it. 

Edited by Storm the Field

8 minutes ago, Helobious said:

Stanton was acquired via trade. The luxury tax hit for his contract is only $22 million per year. Which sucks but really isn’t a backbreaker

You're right, I forgot that "The Captain" made that sweetheart deal to send Stanton to the Yankees for fuck all.  Guess it was one of them break-even trades in the end.  How's "The Captain" doing down there these days?

My only two memories this year were taking my mom to see her Yankees twice. They beat Baltimore and Texas. She’s 1-1 now with Baltimore and 2-0 with Texas since the Yankees beat them on her 70th birthday a few years back. Not much else this year went right for them.

Boone probably returns. Cashman should probably just retire to his home in Connecticut, but he won’t leave until Hal tells him to. It’s time for a major overhaul of the front office, how the training staff deals with injuries and what team in Japan they can trade Stanton to. He is a chiseled Chris Davis and that’s about it. Either he hits a laser out of the park or nothing. 

I think the next 2-3 years will be some rough sledding. Too much money allocated to guys who aren’t producing and not near enough punch in the lineup. It’s a wonder this team did not have an under .500 season with the way they hit most of the year. 

• Hook 'Em 1

9 hours ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

You're right, I forgot that "The Captain" made that sweetheart deal to send Stanton to the Yankees for fuck all.  Guess it was one of them break-even trades in the end.  How's "The Captain" doing down there these days?

The marlins were utter trash when he got there. He built a foundation that helped turn them into a postseason team this year.

Right now he’s getting paid a fuckton of money to be in Jeep Grand Wagoneer commercials with his super hot wife. Your life is pitiful compared to his.

• Like 2

Boone should keep his job; it's not his fault Cashman is an idiot.  

Saw my first ever game at Yankee stadium this summer.  As a baseball fan it was great - the kids got a big kick out of it.  Taking the subway to/from the game was a breeze.  Actually getting into the stadium was a total shitshow of epic proportions.  

58 minutes ago, Helobious said:

The marlins were utter trash when he got there. He built a foundation that helped turn them into a postseason team this year.

They averaged 76 wins per season the three seasons before he got there.  They averaged 66 wins the three full seasons he was there (excluding 2020 COVID shortened season).  They've averaged 73 wins per season since he left.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

They averaged 76 wins per season the three seasons before he got there.  They averaged 66 wins the three full seasons he was there (excluding 2020 COVID shortened season).  They've averaged 73 wins per season since he left.

Postseason. Team.

2 hours ago, bschoolprof said:

Boone should keep his job; it's not his fault Cashman is an idiot.  

Saw my first ever game at Yankee stadium this summer.  As a baseball fan it was great - the kids got a big kick out of it.  Taking the subway to/from the game was a breeze.  Actually getting into the stadium was a total shitshow of epic proportions.  

In comparison to how it was in the past it was actually easier to get in there this year. The bag check used to slow down entry to a crawl, but they changed it and not every bag gets checked now. It cut line time for me at least in half. 

• 1 month later...
2 hours ago, TonyTexas said:

Cashman has been especially testy this offseason. He is obviously feeling the heat. It’s said that pressure makes diamonds but, in this case, will probably only produce farts. 

I think he knows he is the soft turd swirling down the drain and doesn't have the budget to fix the roster given the plethora of already bad money on the books.  After witnessing Cohen go down in a blaze of glory last year I'm sure Hal is not eager to join that fate.

Stanton's agent responded. 

Giancarlo Stanton's agent clapped back at New York Yankees general manager Brian Cashman while offering a word of warning to any free agents who are considering joining the Bronx Bombers.

Cashman told New York Daily News last week that the injury-plagued Stanton is "going to wind up getting hurt again more likely than not because it seems to be part of his game."

One day after the Daily News published Cashman's comments, agent Joel Wolfe responded Tuesday in a statement to The Athletic.

"I read the context of the entire interview," Wolfe said. "I think it's a good reminder for all free agents considering signing in New York both foreign and domestic that to play for that team you've got to be made of Teflon, both mentally and physically because you can never let your guard down even in the offseason."

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/38897151/giancarlo-stanton-agent-responds-brian-cashman-warns-free-agents

• 2 weeks later...
5 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

Quite the prospect hall right

Thorpe is the best prospect in the deal. never seen him pitch, so can't say much but he was named best pitcher throughout the whole minors so if he makes it should be good. King is the biggest short term get. Has been consistently solid in the bullpen, and moved into the rotation late last season bc of injuries and killed it

Always have liked Higgy, but he isn't really anything other than a fine catcher that pops a homer every once in a while. The other two pitchers get called up for starts every once in a while to mixed results

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Smax said:

Yankees, doing less with more since 2009

Every single big offensive acquisition since then has been on the wrong side of 30 (except Stanton) with a monstrous injury history. Every single one. This time it’s different and the rest of the league should be afraid.

• Haha 1

This means that Stanton can just go hangout on the IL all year. Do your best Chris Davis impersonation and go get paid to not play. The Yanks still have so many other issues to fix, but this was an absolutely huge net positive. He has a built-in fanbase in The Bronx and he will hit at least 45 homers this year. 

I remember being at the game where he hit his first homer at Yankee Stadium back in 2018. The crack of the bat just sounds different from guys like him. The only other player I have watched out there that had the ball come so cleanly and ferociously off his bat was Yordan Alvarez. You know the sound of the connection of bat and ball with guys like that when you hear it. Soto is going to destroy some baseballs to the short porch.

• Hook 'Em 3

• 1 month later...