Texas vs ou - 11am on ABC

Pancho

Just now, gmr548 said:

Nah. Auburn has struggled from that distance all year (props to him by the way). You were never going to get a better deal than four yards to win the game, or at least take a regulation loss off the table. Probability of losing skyrockets by lining up for the FG. Felt iffy in the moment and an 100% convinced now.

giphy.gif
I knew that in my gut when it happened, or at least that Texas deserved the L. Still, after everything it was all right there. Smh.

It is the way I felt, someone let all the air out of the balloon, yet the defense could have stooped them or slowed them down enough to keep it to a field goal. You have to punch it in from the one, that is embarrassing.

2 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

From everything I’ve heard the guy has a fairly solid balance between intensity and being laid back. This isn’t 2018 Tom Herman walking into the locker room at Kansas State up 19-0 at half and screaming “don’t let up like you did against Tulsa a few weeks ago!”

The emotion of every game has ebbs and flows. Everybody comes out with their hair on fire but on a 2nd and 6 with 5:34 to go in the first quarter is the RG thinking about the pregame pep talk as he’s getting in his stance?

Of course emotion is a part of every game but we’ve now reached the point where one of the most overused cliches in sports is “the team that wants it more will win”.

Players want to play for him, coaches want to coach with him. That appears to be a rare combination. It is no coincidence Sabans' staff didn't follow him to LSU and Sark was able to take so many coaches to Texas from Bama.

5 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

Nah. Auburn has struggled from that distance all year (props to him by the way). You were never going to get a better deal than four yards to win the game, or at least take a regulation loss off the table. Probability of losing skyrockets by lining up for the FG. Felt iffy in the moment and an 100% convinced now.

The probability of losing skyrockets even more if you don’t get 4 yards and gift OU the ball at their own 35 with a tie game.

Look, I had the same thought cross my mind during the game as you did and I thought maybe we should have gone for it. But when you are presented with the opportunity to take the lead with just over a minute left, you take it. You can’t overthink it.

• Hook 'Em 2

6 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

From everything I’ve heard the guy has a fairly solid balance between intensity and being laid back. This isn’t 2018 Tom Herman walking into the locker room at Kansas State up 19-0 at half and screaming “don’t let up like you did against Tulsa a few weeks ago!”

The emotion of every game has ebbs and flows. Everybody comes out with their hair on fire but on a 2nd and 6 with 5:34 to go in the first quarter is the RG thinking about the pregame pep talk as he’s getting in his stance?

Of course emotion is a part of every game but we’ve now reached the point where one of the most overused cliches in sports is “the team that wants it more will win”.

Agreed. Turtle Tom flashback knowing we only beat Kansas st 19-14 that year. 

The game was decided when we couldn't score on 4 tries at the one yard line.

When that I happened, I actually they lost out loud. Hate that it happened. I think all of the gambling that Sark did was because he was afraid to lose. He’s not doing that shit to prove a point and run the score up. He was desperate to get things going.

Should have ran a normal damn offense at the 1. Should have taken the points at the 1. Should have went for it on the final 4th and 4.
  • Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, BurntOrange&White said:

What does a year ago have to do with this season? Always talking about the past is something Texas fans need to stop doing. 

IMG_3195.thumb.jpeg.237337c0c12fb43bef938a3211975420.jpegIMG_3196.thumb.jpeg.a39eeacff69bb6c800040896c7d257a4.jpeg

How terrible that we can't win two in a row since 08-09 or three in a row this century.

Edited by n64ra
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 2

37 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

Sark lost the game on the last drive. Should have slowed down as they got to midfield, certainly after the Bowman injury. But more importantly, Sark is a fucking loser for not going for it on that last fourth down. I kind of felt that way live but I didn’t quite appreciate how lucky the defense had been to get those stops leading up to that. The game was over as soon as that decision was made.

Yep, shoulda slowed it down and kicked the FG with hardly any time left. But once that didn't happen, I was telling my boys at the time I thought we needed to go for it because this game is always so crazy, we ain't gonna get a call, etc, so we were just leaving 'em too much time.  I 100% get why he did it and 99% of the time it probably works out, but TX-ou is just weird that way, so I wasn't feeling too good about it.

Edited by wood

Absolute boneheaded pick by Ewers on the first turnover. Worthy on the inside slant goes 15 yards and maybe scores if he gets out of one tackle. Needs to slide to avoid fumbles like the one he had. Otherwise he was very good given the circumstances. Should have been given a chance to win the game.

If he hits Worthy in the second window, it’s better odds than not he scores I’d say. Also notice the pass protection there. This was an incredibly significant play. It set the tone for the game for OU.

QE was quite good for much of the time, but he missed some big opportunities. 3rd and 14 rolls right. There’s plenty of space to look downfield. Whittington was wide open. Throw away and we punt. The scramble in which he gets tackled inside the 10. Worthy is breaking open for 6.

It’s good he’s moving/running, but he needs to understand situations a bit better.

We entered the game with our best DB out and our NFL caliber tight end hobbled enough that he couldn’t block.

Our four-year center went down on the first series.

We lost the turnover battle 3-0.

We lost our starting safety midgame.

And we lost on the last play.

The starts truly aligned for OU. We said before the game that the only thing that could give them an advantage was injuries and turnovers.

The stars aligned.

And we still didn’t give it up until the last play.

tldr: OU sucks.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 3

The probability of losing skyrockets even more if you don’t get 4 yards and gift OU the ball at their own 35 with a tie game.
Look, I had the same thought cross my mind during the game as you did and I thought maybe we should have gone for it. But when you are presented with the opportunity to take the lead with just over a minute left, you take it. You can’t overthink it.

It kind of depends on the probability of Auburn making that kick (which is an unknown variable before he actually nailed that kick). But for the sake of argument - what if it were a 50-50 prop?

I didnt like going for it on 4th and 4, but wanted a more aggressive playcall on 3rd and 9.

It kind of depends on the probability of Auburn making that kick (which is an unknown variable before he actually nailed that kick)

Exactly. Auburn to that point, including that game, was 1-4 (25%) on the year and 10-16 (62%) for his career from 40+. The 47 yard kick was his longest of the year and two shy of a career long. He hit a great kick but it was far from a given.

His career percentage tells you there’s a 38% chance you miss. Even if you cut that in half for sake of argument, let’s say because he hit a 45 yarder earlier, that’s still a 19% chance you miss. And then of course you have to factor in the odds OU then takes the ball and scores regardless of outcome; I don’t know how you quantify that but it is obviously significant.

Quinn Ewers averaged 9.4 YPA on the day on 83% completion. On the season 9.3 YPA on 70% completion. Full field to work with, not constricted by the red zone. Kick block team on the field.

The odds of you completing a 4 yard pass are just as good as making the kick and the latter has the upside of removing the possibility of losing in regulation and increasing the odds on the FG by making it shorter (you likely get inside 40 yards running another play or two).

The right choice in terms of win probability is actually plain as day when you lay it out.
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Tex Pete said:

Well, we didn’t win, did we?

Sark didn’t ask Quinn to throw two picks and fumble, he didn’t tell ford to play the worst game of his entire Texas career or tell brooks to lose all his vision once we got to the 1 yard line. The fg was good, we gave our defense a chance and they couldn’t get it done. It is what it is. Of the things to complain about over the last 10 or so years this is way, way, way fucking down the list. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, Tex Pete said:

A coach’s job is to put the players into position to win. Sarkisian failed at doing so Saturday. 

Players are also part of the equation.  Players shared in mistakes for Horns not scoring on their 4 attempts from 1yd line.

So Sark made mistakes... players did too.  They share responsibility for the loss.

17 minutes ago, Tex Pete said:

Players did not let their nuts shrink into their stomach and kick a low-percentage game-losing FG. You play to win the game. 

The players lined up on the 1 and got their asses whipped 3 times. Sanders was scared of getting hit and dropped a td pass that turned into a pick. Mitchell would just fall down instead of fighting for yards, just scared shitless of a dog fight. Their nuts shrunk into their stomach about 20 times during that game lol. We were in that position in the first place because our o-line was sucking shit through a straw. Sark called the td play about 7 times in that game and we didn't execute for shit lol. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

The players lined up on the 1 and got their asses whipped 3 times. Sanders was scared of getting hit and dropped a td pass that turned into a pick. Mitchell would just fall down instead of fighting for yards, just scared shitless of a dog fight. Their nuts shrunk into their stomach about 20 times during that game lol. We were in that position in the first place because our o-line was sucking shit through a straw. Sark called the td play about 7 times in that game and we didn't execute for shit lol. 

This is year 3. Performance issues are on coaching.
  • Hook 'Em 1

34 minutes ago, WinningIsHard said:

The players lined up on the 1 and got their asses whipped 3 times.

Everyone in my section of the stadium knew after 1st down (and certainly 2nd) that we were ramming our heads into the wall. Our OC didn't? Maybe the HC should have told him so.

Players don't call the plays.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Tex Pete said:

Everyone in my section of the stadium knew after 1st down (and certainly 2nd) that we were ramming our heads into the wall. Our OC didn't? Maybe the HC should have told him so.

Players don't call the plays.

That's where I fall.  Quit trying to attack the strength of their DL.  Get out in space.  Misdirection.  Use the weapons at hand other than just trying to ran your head through a wall.  

16 hours ago, wood said:

Yep, shoulda slowed it down and kicked the FG with hardly any time left. But once that didn't happen, I was telling my boys at the time I thought we needed to go for it because this game is always so crazy, we ain't gonna get a call, etc, so we were just leaving 'em too much time.  I 100% get why he did it and 99% of the time it probably works out, but TX-ou is just weird that way, so I wasn't feeling too good about it.

Sark made an error, but that error wasnt playing aggressive. Texas was tied and needed to play to win. Sark did that. OU was missing 2 guys in the secondary. Playing for a 47 yard FG was not the right move. I believe Auburn was coming into the game 3  for his last 6. Sark should have continued to play aggressive and gone for it on 4th down. In the wisdom of hindsight people are pretending that kick was a lock to go through the uprights. I think Sark gets the 1st down there and he starts to worry about draining the clock. He lost his nerve after the sack. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Sark is a loser for kicking the fg to take the lead, well I didn’t have that one on my shit on the coach no matter what he does bingo card. The fake punt and being 3/4 on 4th down wasn’t enough gambling for one game? 

200.gif

You understand that these in fact make the final series even more of a blatant fuck up right? Sark had the right plan and deviated at the very end because Texas took a sack on first down.